Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

He's probably hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

He's probably hosed.

good

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Kingfish posted:

He's probably hosed.

yeah, he nor the Philippines are "needed" per say, (we can make another base in another country, hell Vietnam might let us), but this stupid fucker has probaly numbered his days.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hes interesting because he is so much like what I'd see a trump administration acting like

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the pragmatic posters don't like death squads anymore? what happened?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it was funny to laugh at the insane murder man before and its even funnier to laugh at the insane murder man now

the whole situation is extremely hosed up

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There won't really be a coup will there?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

RandomPauI posted:

There won't really be a coup will there?

lol if you think clinton is gonna take deutuere poo poo for very long

maybe they don't find his body, maybe it looks like a chinese hit, maybe it looks like a drug cartel's work

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imo deutres gotta either purge officers or get couped hella

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i can't imagine the population are happy he's selling out to china but then they did elect the murder man so who knows

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

attempting to coup duterte would end very badly for the conspirators. itd make the lynchings of turkish soldiers after the failed coup look tame

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jose posted:

it was funny to laugh at the insane murder man before and its even funnier to laugh at the insane murder man now

the whole situation is extremely hosed up

the only thing different from this murder man and the murder men the us is currently supporting is that he doesn't like the us

i just wish the pragmatists were as against murder men all the time

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
nice cargo cult

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

attempting to coup duterte would end very badly for the conspirators. itd make the lynchings of turkish soldiers after the failed coup look tame

oh definitely if they fail. but that's because coup conspirators against shitheads either never take the "final" step first or never take it at all(like with the turkey coup/Venezuelan coup). hint; you kill him/his loyalists/possibly family quickly and quietly when poo poo starts going down. you do like they did it with Ngo Dinh Diem. in the back of van then dump his body and bury it deep. Duerterte still doesn't have super amounts of military support and alot of the military is pretty friendly with the US and I am sure some "company" men are looking for candidates as we speak.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You dont need a coup, some crazy cocaine head (thats actually a deep cover CIA agent) is going to kill him on abuelas orders.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You dont need a coup, some crazy cocaine head (thats actually a deep cover CIA agent) is going to kill him on abuelas orders.

That'd be like hiring a Jew to kill Hitler. Best case scenario you have no more Duterte and a gently caress load of dead people. Worst case scenario you have a vindicated Duterte and a gently caress load of dead people.

E: she'll have the army do it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
During the last serious military coup attempt in the Philippines, back in 1989, the intervention of the US military was supposedly crucial in saving the civilian government. You also have to assume based on the long history of joint exercises and bases that there's gotta be some lines of communication between high level military officers in the Philippines and US government.

On the other hand it's way loving harder to pull off a coup against a popular president these days since merely seizing a couple key radio and TV stations won't give you control of the communications grid.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

That'd be like hiring a Jew to kill Hitler. Best case scenario you have no more Duterte and a gently caress load of dead people. Worst case scenario you have a vindicated Duterte and a gently caress load of dead people.

sounds like exactly the kind of thing the CIA would do then

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

So is the Philippine government just going to start acting like the Spratly Islands don't exist anymore or

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
it's going down right now

http://youtu.be/gO_KxGlY62g

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Baloogan posted:

Hes interesting because he is so much like what I'd see a trump administration acting like

How would Trump annonce cutting ties with the US though

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I dunno, how good are chinese intelligence vs CIA?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Typo posted:

Lol if you think the PRC MSS can match the CIA.

But in this day and age not even the CIA can install/prop up a Marcos 2.0.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Typo posted:

on signals intelligence we unhinge our jaw and devour them whole
unfortunately on human intelligence it's kind of the other way around

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

On the other hand it's way loving harder to pull off a coup against a popular president these days since merely seizing a couple key radio and TV stations won't give you control of the communications grid.

What would you have to seize or sabotage to substantially cripple Internet access to the Philippines? There can only be so many telecom facilities where undersea fiber optics cables enter the country. And you'd probably also have to hit the hosting facilities for the most popular local social networks. Difficult but somewhat plausible.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

Kinda surprised tankies aren't rallying around this guy. He's very friendly with the local communist insurgency, pursues progressive policies opposed to the Catholic church, and wants to ally with China

weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

What would you have to seize or sabotage to substantially cripple Internet access to the Philippines? There can only be so many telecom facilities where undersea fiber optics cables enter the country. And you'd probably also have to hit the hosting facilities for the most popular local social networks. Difficult but somewhat plausible.

That's a good question, and I have no idea how centralized internet service in the Philippines is. In some countries I gather it's fairly easy to do that because the government designed the telecommunications infrastructure to be centrally controllable, but in other countries there's no single control node you can seize.

Now this is pure armchair general style speculation on my part but the fastest route to an information blackout might be a real blackout. Just shutdown the power grids in the main cities and then hope you can seize power before too many angry mobs form. Obviously this raises difficulties of it's own but in a lot of countries that might be the last reliable way to stop the deposed leader from jumping on social media and whipping up a mob.

• Locked thread