Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Starbucks large bitches. Usually would her dunkin pumpkin but watching the waistline. Ya bird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Pity reply

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
enjoy your burnt beans

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Starbucks is for fancy pants coffees. If it's regular coffee you're after then you go anywhere else, even the run down gas station on dead dog road has better coffee.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Well, this coffee sucks, but there's enough caramel syrup in here to cover that up." - a Starbucks customer

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Buy a Moka pot and you can make incredible coffee with regular beans at home, they're super easy and the quality is amazing.. You can also make a very good cold brew with a French press, although that takes way more beans. French press still makes better coffee than drip though.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
i like tea its got antionxidonts

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Buy a Moka pot and you can make incredible coffee with regular beans at home, they're super easy and the quality is amazing.. You can also make a very good cold brew with a French press, although that takes way more beans. French press still makes better coffee than drip though.

I have a Nespresso.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FedEx Mercury posted:

I have a Nespresso.
Do you like it?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I like to get comfy cozy with a steaming cup of international foods instant Cafe Vienna to take me back to that crazy love filled spring of turtle neck sweaters and sidewalk cafes.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

When you go into Starbucks there are pictures of dirty hands holding one, single coffee bean. Those dirty hands have been all up in your coffee and they charge you extra like it was your fault

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do you like it?

It's very good coffee but you gotta spend about $.70 per shot.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Posting in another canpakes thread that will get gassed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FedEx Mercury posted:

It's very good coffee but you gotta spend about $.70 per shot.
This is why I like the Moka pot. You can use regular beans and get super rich espresso-quality coffee with a cheaper roast.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is why I like the Moka pot. You can use regular beans and get super rich espresso-quality coffee with a cheaper roast.

I guess I'll check it out but it's hard to beat instant late when you're hung over on a Sunday morning.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah i could also harvest a freaking field instead of buying some corn or whatever why shouldn't give a gently caress. I'm
A man on the go.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
French press as a viable alternative to starbux LOL

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I get an iced coffee for a dollar at the McDonald's across from work and it's fine

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

garfield hentai posted:

I get an iced coffee for a dollar at the McDonald's across from work and it's fine

Respect

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
You get better coffee, faster and cheaper at home. You can brew at home in no time, compared to having to go out of your way and wait in line. If you're really in a pinch for time in the morning, you can cold brew.

The math is crazy. Your fancy Starbucks can be around $5, Nespresso/Kcup comes in at $0.60 each, and coffee made-at-home costs $0.06/cup (I get my coffee in bulk at Costco). This may sound silly, but a Starbucks-a-day is over $1,800/yr, a Kcup each day is $220/yr, and made-at-home comes to under $25/annually. See how this adds up?

The above-mentioned cold brew is killer as you get smooth coffee with minimal effort. If I know I am going to have an early morning, the night before I prepare my french press with cold filtered water and coffee. I'll throw some saran wrap over the top so it doesn't spill out and nothing can get in. The next morning, tear off the wrap, press and pour the coffee.

You'll notice your need for sugar/syrup/milk/cream when cold brewing is far reduced, as this is a much smoother brew. You're also saving on energy costs, as there is no need to heat water.

Always brew a full pot and store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days, or pour into ice cube trays, freeze until solid, then transfer to ziplock bags and put 'em back in the freeze. There are so many drinks and cocktails that call for "strong, cold coffee" you will open a whole new world of bevvies.

All the above works for teas, as well!

Dr Cox MD fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 5, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Amphetamine in the morning >>>> coffee

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i usually just drink what they provide at work. which happens to be pretty good coffee

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
lol if you dont have an espresso machine at home and extra lol if your coffee budget includes more than beans

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Did you seriously just compare Nespresso to k-cups :bang:

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.

FedEx Mercury posted:

Did you seriously just compare Nespresso to k-cups :bang:

It's coffee, dude.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Every time I see "Nespresso" I immediately think of coffee flavored Nestle Quik

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i bought a $20 mr coffee french press and it loving blows

bought it on a whim for cold brew cause my parents have been using the same drat mr coffee maker since i was born but god drat is it a piece of garbage. how do you gently caress up a piece of equipment with no moving parts???? the screen cut the gently caress out of my fingers which is for some reason sharp?? i have not touched it since i had to bandage my fingers. it made lovely silty coffee anyways

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

My main beverage is soda water with lemon juice, unsweetened.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

nigga crab pollock posted:

i bought a $20 mr coffee french press and it loving blows

bought it on a whim for cold brew cause my parents have been using the same drat mr coffee maker since i was born but god drat is it a piece of garbage. how do you gently caress up a piece of equipment with no moving parts???? the screen cut the gently caress out of my fingers which is for some reason sharp?? i have not touched it since i had to bandage my fingers. it made lovely silty coffee anyways

Well it was cheap so you get what you pay for.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

canpakes posted:

Yeah i could also harvest a freaking field instead of buying some corn or whatever why shouldn't give a gently caress. I'm
A man on the go.
A French press is literally the easiest way to make coffee: pour hot water onto coffee and let it sit, then push the thing. It's easier than a drip machine. A Moka pot is "put water in and coffee in thing, put on stove." If you can push the button on a drip maker you can turn your stove on low heat.

The advantage to automated coffee like a drip machine is that you can do it while you do other stuff, and a bunch of them have timers now, so you can set it to brew before you wake up, which is neat.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Shame on op for drinking iced coffee, a shameful drink

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
k-cups are a good litmus test to see if someone is willing to blow their money on stupid hyper-consumer garbage just because its trendy

*spends $5 on four individually packaged 6 oz coffee cups that only works with with special $100 coffee machine* yeah its raelly convenient

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
cold brew or no brew, imo. just get a french press from a thrift store and you're gold.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
cold brew really is the bomb

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

FedEx Mercury posted:

Well it was cheap so you get what you pay for.

idk dude $20 for what amounts to a regular glass container with a plastic lid and pushrod is honestly a little steep

i spent that much on my espresso machine

Woden
May 6, 2006
Had a french press and it was poo poo, came out gritty, oily or just tasted like coffee flavoured water.

Got a cheapy espresso machine which makes awesome coffee but any more than 3 a day and I was way too buzzed so I just went back to instant.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I have my grandma's old percolator from the 60s; makes amazing coffee. Ty grandma for dieing so i can have delicious coffee everyday. :3:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

nigga crab pollock posted:

idk dude $20 for what amounts to a regular glass container with a plastic lid and pushrod is honestly a little steep

i spent that much on my espresso machine

Well if you want an assembly that has good fits and quality materials then $20 is not really a reasonable price point. Or maybe Mr. Coffee is a really bad company.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

I remember the first time I had intentionally cold coffee and for some reason I thought it wasn't just going to taste like cold coffee it was my naviete or underdeveloped brain but now I like to sip on it when the sun is shining and my soul is lit with the promise of a new day, cresting the hill of possibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i used to think instant was poo poo but a few years ago i got a whole crapton of instant nestle espresso from europe, idr if it was spanish or polish but it was pretty drat good

i would buy and drink that stuff if i knew where to find it in the states

• Locked thread