Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

FedEx Mercury posted:

Well if you want an assembly that has good fits and quality materials then $20 is not really a reasonable price point. Or maybe Mr. Coffee is a really bad company.

poo poo man its not like i'm expecting a bespoke artisan-stamped french press but i would have felt ripped off no matter how much it cost. they're poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
I'm drinking homemade cold brew made from one of these: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/hario-cold-brew-pot. It tastes awesome and took literally 3 minutes to prepare last night. Best coffee purchase to date.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I think McDonald's coffee is rather good and $1 is a hard price to beat.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't even make sandwiches for myself last night you think I'm going to set up a coffee brew??? Funk that stuff.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FactsAreUseless posted:

Buy a Moka pot and you can make incredible coffee with regular beans at home, they're super easy and the quality is amazing.. You can also make a very good cold brew with a French press, although that takes way more beans. French press still makes better coffee than drip though.

Always been meaning to get a Moka. I got an Aeropress thing and it's pretty good, some people get way into some insane ways to use it. but I drink more than a single cup so it's a little annoying if you're going for a long drive and want to have giant thermos full of coffee but otherwise can't complain.

what grinder do you use? I was stupid and got one of those ceramic burr hand-grinders thinking it'd be cool to have nice grounds but honestly I can't tell the difference between electric blade ground coffee and burr-ground. so i never use it and it takes too long

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i had a caffeine pill and an aspirin for breakfast

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

You can get an acceptable cup of coffee from lots of fast food places and convenience stores these days, if you're comfortable with drinking literal trash and having no self respect like an animal

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

NeurofiBROma posted:

You can get an acceptable cup of coffee from lots of fast food places and convenience stores these days, if you're comfortable with drinking literal trash and having no self respect like an animal

Coffee and a hash patty for $2 sounds like a good deal to me. Thanks Ronald!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
enjoy your fix yoiu addicts!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Outpost22 posted:

enjoy your fix yoiu addicts!

I blame society

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

NeurofiBROma posted:

you drink coffee for the caffeine not the taste I'm a huge prick

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I think McDonald's coffee is rather good and $1 is a hard price to beat.

virtual fist-bump

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

garfield hentai posted:

virtual fist-bump

:hfive:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

artificially stocked lake posted:

you drink coffee for the caffeine not the taste I'm a huge prick

why not both.jpg

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Thank goodness that we were repeatedly invaded and raped by Turks in the middle ages, but they at least taught us how to make decent coffee without $170 worth of embarrassingly elaborate gadgets.

Did you know that you can make great coffee in just about ANY pot, on just about ANY heat source? Hell an empty aluminum can heated on a campfire will yield you great coffee IF

-you have very finely ground coffee. Like, talcum powder fine. Before you start jumping on my rear end and calling me an elitist prick, allow me to tell you that the corner grocery store sells a pound bag of this stuff for $5.
-depending upon how much water you're working with, add one to two teaspoons of sugar in the cold water and THEN heat it. the sugar will partially caramelize, coffee made in pure water with no sugar will taste a bit sour, and if you add the sugar afterwards, it will taste just gunky and nasty
-add four teaspoons of coffee when your sugar water boils. stir and set it aside for ~10 minutes. resist the temptation to bring your coffee to boil once again, yeah I know many people are doing it, but this causes your coffee to taste like mud
-decant the coffee into a cup. grab your smokes and enjoy.

edit for clarity

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 5, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i like my coffee like i like my men

thrown out of a moving vehicle at 60 miles an hour when cold

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Cardamon in the coffee: yay or nay?

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

FedEx Mercury posted:

Never tried cardamom in coffee, but chicory coffee is great. I'll have to give cardamom coffee a try.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

ProfessorMurder posted:

but chicory coffee is great.

Chicory used to be popular in EE back in the 1980s when the economy of the eastern bloc was imploding and real coffee was either rationed or completely unavailable. Only the clueless poors and utter barbarians willingly drink this poo poo in the 21st century.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

nigga crab pollock posted:

i used to think instant was poo poo but a few years ago i got a whole crapton of instant nestle espresso from europe, idr if it was spanish or polish but it was pretty drat good

i would buy and drink that stuff if i knew where to find it in the states

this is made in EU
https://www.amazon.com/Jars-Nescafe...nestle+espresso

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Chicory used to be popular in EE back in the 1980s when the economy of the eastern bloc was imploding and real coffee was either rationed or completely unavailable. Only the clueless poors and utter barbarians willingly drink this poo poo in the 21st century.

Well I wouldn't want A SWEATY FATBEARD to think I'm a clueless poor or a barbarian, I better change my personal opinion!

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

FedEx Mercury posted:

Yea, but only when made in the proper Turkish fashion as above. Preferably while getting slammed in the rear end.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

fresh_cheese posted:

Preferably while getting slammed in the rear end.

But that goes for anything, really.

Or maybe that's just me?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

fresh_cheese posted:

Yea, but only when made in the proper Turkish fashion as above. Preferably while getting slammed in the rear end.

Haha, funny. But I'm not a woman so sadly that's not an option.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FedEx Mercury posted:

Oh yeah?? :mrgw:

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

FedEx Mercury posted:

Sure it is if you believe in yourself.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Ok no seriously Turkish coffee with cardamom is great stuff.

Just like buttsecks.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

nigga crab pollock posted:

i used to think instant was poo poo but a few years ago i got a whole crapton of instant nestle espresso from europe, idr if it was spanish or polish but it was pretty drat good

i would buy and drink that stuff if i knew where to find it in the states

Check your ethnic food stores, or your "international" isle of your supermarket. I'm with you, EU instant coffee is legit.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

fresh_cheese posted:

Ok no seriously Turkish coffee with cardamom is great stuff.

Just like buttsecks.

Some things in this world are only meant for one of the two sexes I suppose.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

FedEx Mercury posted:

Some things in this world are only meant for one of the two sexes I suppose.

Nah mang! Turkish coffee with cardamom and butsacks can be enjoyed by everyone!

Woden
May 6, 2006

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

lol, you put sugar in coffee :ironicat:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i really need a hot coffee

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm a fan of Turkish coffee but when I make it I always end up with coffee and grounds all over the stove

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
aeropress works for me, got a metal screen which i think helps the flavor a bit. just need a little to make it to work in the mornings. the best part is just smelling the beans after you grind'em up though

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Arnold palmers own

Rhombic Drive
Apr 15, 2007

let it mellow posted:

Arnold palmers own

Also John Dalys

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im going to drink my fill of rory mcilroys tonight

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
its a lot cheaper to buy caffeine in powder form and its just as nasty and bitter as coffee

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

canpakes posted:

Starbucks large bitches. Usually would her dunkin pumpkin but watching the waistline. Ya bird?

make your own pathetic dweeb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Dr Cox MD posted:

You get better coffee, faster and cheaper at home. You can brew at home in no time, compared to having to go out of your way and wait in line. If you're really in a pinch for time in the morning, you can cold brew.

The math is crazy. Your fancy Starbucks can be around $5, Nespresso/Kcup comes in at $0.60 each, and coffee made-at-home costs $0.06/cup (I get my coffee in bulk at Costco). This may sound silly, but a Starbucks-a-day is over $1,800/yr, a Kcup each day is $220/yr, and made-at-home comes to under $25/annually. See how this adds up?

The above-mentioned cold brew is killer as you get smooth coffee with minimal effort. If I know I am going to have an early morning, the night before I prepare my french press with cold filtered water and coffee. I'll throw some saran wrap over the top so it doesn't spill out and nothing can get in. The next morning, tear off the wrap, press and pour the coffee.

You'll notice your need for sugar/syrup/milk/cream when cold brewing is far reduced, as this is a much smoother brew. You're also saving on energy costs, as there is no need to heat water.

Always brew a full pot and store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days, or pour into ice cube trays, freeze until solid, then transfer to ziplock bags and put 'em back in the freeze. There are so many drinks and cocktails that call for "strong, cold coffee" you will open a whole new world of bevvies.

All the above works for teas, as well!

You're so full of poo poo if you think drinking a cup of coffee a day clocks in at $25 a year, lol, just lol. You're supposed to use 2 tbsp of grinds per cup, right? And You realize a bag of non Folgers non poo poo coffee costs like 8 a bag?

• Locked thread