Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
In a spiral pattern:
I :h: Pudding
Delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's pretty depressing to watch ultimate starvation.
Not even Hiyoko or Teruteru would deserve this.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It would be nice if I had more time to play games. Desperate to know what happens in dr3, clearing dr2 would be nice as this game is kind of alone in it's gameplay style and playing is much different from seeing it even given imagination.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
akane's really bad at this detective thing but she's trying her hardest

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
did the translators just intentinally work in a reference to A Goofy Movie with that last line

Surec posted:

Soda, you goof

oh I was beaten

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
They name the ultimate secret room the OCTOGON because it's a hexagon minus a rectangle

But not all that space on the first floor is usable. There's a corridor through it.

So it would be a HEPTAGON?

idgi

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

eating only apples posted:

I wish someone had.

Would that count as a full murder they have to do a trial for.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Gundham is not a bad character I guess, just very weird. But a lot of these characters are very weird. I just kind of wish more of the characters could be more down to Earth and less okay with this situation.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
If only they could get Nagito to try that keypad.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
how did "my only talent is luck" build bombs powerful enough to blow up an island without anyone noticing

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
gently caress you Monomi, you DO have to say it, no one knows what you're talking about and not saying anything means you're protecting the traitor and giving people more reason not to trust you.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Why doesn't the mastermind have any sense of self-preservation here, either... if this had been DR1, junko would not have allowed a similar situation, how can the mastermind be so secure they don't have to worry about the island.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
People were nice to Mikan (though most of the time that they were she interpreted something they said as something horrible), they just didn't stand up for her or even really notice her solitary bully. This group really doesn't notice much about each other. Still, there wasn't any reason for absolutely no one to bond with Mikan... In DR1, she would've become friends with someone in a previous chapter or had been revealed to be impossible to befriend.

In the first game, Mikan kind of had an equivalent in Toko, but she actively lashes out against everyone while indulging in victimhood fantasies. Later people notice Togami bullying Toko but by then Togami had been threatening the group for a long time and Toko's a serial killer so they aren't sure what they're supposed to do. There were actually several situations like that. Characters in DR1 had feelings about other characters, and other characters noticed those feelings.

I kind of feel like the character dynamics of DR1 and their actions are a lot stronger, while DR2's are far more just fulfilling their quirky anime charicatures while not accomplishing anything.
Like what was going on in DR1? Characters first thing first made up a system of not being out at night in order to try not to get killed, which Togami ignores and causes a rift in the group for it, and then a lot of the motives in the cases have to do with the question of why they were captured and what their lives before this situation were. There was a traitor situation but there was actually evidence the traitor had worked against the group beyond Monobear's word. Just, I really remember believing in DR1's characters, and I've been unable to believe in DR2's when a lot of what they do seems to be to fulfill their stereotypes and ignore their own stakes.

Well, I feel that way. I was prepared to effortpost harder to justify my opinion, since we're so far into DR2 it feels like it's about time that we can compare the two but trying to type it up, I realize there were some dynamics of DR2 that I had forgotten. It would take a lot of work to be objective here. Still, I don't think that in DR1 characters would have noticed Hiyoko bullying Mikan, wouldn't have let TeruTeru's comments slide, or keep caring about some "traitor" without more evidence that that's actually a thing going on beyond the word of their captor. I don't totally dislike DR2s characters on this metric, either Akane, Sonia, and Fuyuhiko have developed arcs and try their best to help the group despite their limitations. I liked Togami as the rival to the group better than Nagito, but Nagito has proved himself a disturbing and interesting character. But still, a lot of DR2 still just does not feel quite right to me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Kangra posted:

I've a strong suspicion that it'll turn out Nagito was definitely killed when all of them were together. Probably by whoever's in control of Monobear (or some hidden person). The resulting trial will then be a sham as he insists they choose a culprit, despite them all knowing it can't be one of them - and that whoever they pick, they all die.

Well that would mirror a little of what happened with that fifth case in DR1.
We didn't really end up doing much with Nagito's weird theory that the cases were imitations of DR1 except some brief distracting thoughts that it could be suicide, before having proof that suicide did not happen at all.

And Nagito's not going to be able to bring that theory up now, is he. Or tell us what was in that folder that got him so drat mad at everyone. Maybe Hajime will remember all that.

This distinctly brutal murder seems out of character for every student this time around, except possibly for Sonia and her occult leanings and dark side, and Fuyuhiko. Akane would've just beaten him to death, Soda would've used a machine, Chiaki's not out for blood. And Nagito could not tie up his own wrists and stab himself with a spear.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Why leave any fire extinguishing supplies at all if they were removing them. In fact, why not just burn down the crime scene to make it completely unrecognizable and destroy all evidence instead of burning down something crime scene-adjacent.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Is Nagito REALLY concerned about the traitor.

I'm not sure he really gave a poo poo. He seemed to hate the whole class last trial, why would he now want to punish someone for betraying them now, and we also know he's been lying.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
What exactly did the traitor do though. Do they have any proof they did anything especially terrible enough to warrant an elaborate and extremely painful suicide to reveal them.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Nagito had Junko's hand, maybe he ruined everything and uploaded a virus for some completely incoherent hope/despair word salad reason.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

TheDavies posted:

And something that gets overlooked while discussing the depravities of the Ultimate Despairs ... all the information about implanted organs and necrophilia comes from someone who is an extremely unreliable source. So all that speculation you engaged in on the last couple of pages? You were playing right into Junko's hands. She got you again.

we do know that nagito has a girl-hand at least

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

TheDavies posted:

We also know that he lies a lot so we have no idea where he got that hand.

so maybe he lost his own hand but really luckily stumbled across a girl with a spare third hand, then said it was junkos

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
junko .exe makes even less sense than junko did

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
This game is so weird

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Have you tried turning your Hajime off and then on again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Zoe posted:

I'm sad that all the good LPs are over now. I keep coming to this subforum by reflex but there's no DR and no VLR and no Automata and I don't know what to click. :(

Fedule is doing a follow up LP that seems pretty good so far, though it's nothing like VLR... but then again what is.

• Locked thread