Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
There's a 7-11 down the street from where I work and every now and then these two obese ladies will be hanging out outside the door asking for money. They found a couple of matching shirts at Goodwill or something and they wear them like a uniform for their scheme. They approach people and ramble about some kind of charity they're doing for their local church. Pretty obviously full of poo poo.

Anyway one time I started asking them about it just to see how far they would go. One lady did all the talking while the other one hid behind her. The explanation for the charity changed from helping youth, to sheltering battered women, to general church outreach. She seemed to be getting more and more desperate as I just stood there and let her talk. After she was done I just said "sorry, I only donate to secular organizations" in my smuggest internet atheist voice possible. I proceeded to walk into 711 and right as the door closed I heard her scream "WHAT".

She then turned to my friend who has a harder time telling people to gently caress off. Eventually she convinced him to buy her a hot dog lol

Conversely, one time there was an old Chinese man standing at one of the freeway offramps. He just walked up to the car and held his hand out. No sob story, no charity bullshit, just straight up "here is my open hand, you know what I want." Gave that guy a few bucks, he was extremely chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hitler Youth did do lots of soliciting, especially for the Winter Relief Fund

quote:

The "Can Rattlers", as they became known, were relentless in their pursuit of making sure every good German citizen gave their share to the WHW. In fact those who "forgot" to give had their names put in the paper to remind them of their neglect. Neighbors, and even family members were encouraged to whisper the names of shirkers to their block leaders so that they could persuade them to do their duty. On one occasion, a civil servant was prosecuted for failure to donate, and his argument that it was voluntary was dismissed on the grounds it was an extreme view of liberty, to neglect all duties not actually prescribed by law, and therefore an abuse of liberty.[4] It was not unheard of for workers to lose their jobs for not donating to Winterhilfe or not giving enough. For instance, a worker was fired for not donating to Winterhilfe, and the firing was upheld by a labor court on the grounds that it was "conduct hostile to the community of the people... to be most strongly condemned."

quote:

Collection drives were a mainstay of the Winter Relief, and those who did not give, or gave little (such as one pair of boots to a clothing drive), were sometimes the victims of mob violence and needed to be protected by the police

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterhilfswerk

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Roctor posted:

A person on the street aggressively pointed at me and said loudly "I know THIS guy wants to give me money!"

Should it reoccur, you could point aggressively back at him and say loudly, "I know THIS fuckman can SUCK MY DICK!"

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
I don't have any problem with boy/girl scouts peddling their poo poo in front of the supermarkets. I don't buy the popcorn, but will throw them a few bux depending on how engaged the kids are and if the leader is cool. Cookies are better, but they aren't as good as they used to be (bakery change?). My logic is this: kids in those orgs are likely going to be less likely to be thugs. /shrug

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

CrushedWill posted:

I don't have any problem with boy/girl scouts peddling their poo poo in front of the supermarkets. I don't buy the popcorn, but will throw them a few bux depending on how engaged the kids are and if the leader is cool. Cookies are better, but they aren't as good as they used to be (bakery change?). My logic is this: kids in those orgs are likely going to be less likely to be thugs. /shrug

I use the same rationale to donate to ISIS.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

BigBadSteve posted:

Should it reoccur, you could point aggressively back at him and say loudly, "I know THIS fuckman can SUCK MY DICK!"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I like to donate to causes, because I make a sufficient income and live within my means. If every once in a while that cause is a bum getting drunk tonight well that's okay by me.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just say "not today, thank you" and get on w your day

Lol at OP getting so upset he made a thread about this trivial annoyance

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Just say "oh god. Why now?" And start clawing at your crotch feverishly

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

CrushedWill posted:

My logic is this: kids in those orgs are likely going to be less likely to be thugs. /shrug

You can't tell their skin color just by looking at them?

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
*takes a poo poo*

bon appetit, homeless person asking me to buy them a Subway sub. Eat fresh.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Devils Affricate posted:

There's a 7-11 down the street from where I work and every now and then these two obese ladies will be hanging out outside the door asking for money. They found a couple of matching shirts at Goodwill or something and they wear them like a uniform for their scheme. They approach people and ramble about some kind of charity they're doing for their local church. Pretty obviously full of poo poo.

Anyway one time I started asking them about it just to see how far they would go. One lady did all the talking while the other one hid behind her. The explanation for the charity changed from helping youth, to sheltering battered women, to general church outreach. She seemed to be getting more and more desperate as I just stood there and let her talk. After she was done I just said "sorry, I only donate to secular organizations" in my smuggest internet atheist voice possible. I proceeded to walk into 711 and right as the door closed I heard her scream "WHAT".

She then turned to my friend who has a harder time telling people to gently caress off. Eventually she convinced him to buy her a hot dog lol

Conversely, one time there was an old Chinese man standing at one of the freeway offramps. He just walked up to the car and held his hand out. No sob story, no charity bullshit, just straight up "here is my open hand, you know what I want." Gave that guy a few bucks, he was extremely chill.

We have 2 kinds of bums. The 1970s soul brother negro and the gender-ambigous dogface whitey who only talks loud like a dog barking.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
COOL, INTELLIGENT, SOPHISTICATED MIDDLE-AGED SOUTH PARK VIEWER: The problem with society today is that people are such huge pussies. Everybody wants their safe spaces and their trigger warnings, people just can't deal with the realities of every day life. It's absolutely disgusting how soft and ill-equipped people are for interacting with the real world.

HOMELESS MAN OUTSIDE OF COSTCO: Spare some change?

COOL, INTELLIGENT, SOPHISTICATED MIDDLE-AGED SOUTH PARK VIEWER: Oh what the gently caress

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Do people selling tamales out of the back of a car count as solicitors?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Guy Mann posted:

Grown men who get panic attacks from a person asking them for change and then fume about it for hours or even days after are hilariously sad and deserve to be triggered constantly.

Dude every time I see someone make a really cringey or awful post I read the name and it's you. This has happened ever since you made that post about pokemon GO being a good reason to go outside, what the hell man

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Girl scouts are cool cause it's a solid organization that's worth supporting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I was in the big city earlier this week and an obvious homeless guy came up and before I could say no he says "Can you buy me a sandwich? My wife and I are living in a tent". Ended up buying him $20 worth of jerky and nuts, should have just taken him to Mc Donald's.

He was cool and had a good story and was really appreciative so I don't feel too bad.

Kinda wish I had my money back though.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Do people selling tamales out of the back of a car count as solicitors?

those people are cool + good

a dude used to roll into my office on thursdays with warm fresh tamales and then we moved buildings :(

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

Dude every time I see someone make a really cringey or awful post I read the name and it's you. This has happened ever since you made that post about pokemon GO being a good reason to go outside, what the hell man

But they are sad and pokemon is good. Overuse of the word cringe is the real issue in these troubling times.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

vudan posted:

But they are sad and pokemon is good. Overuse of the word cringe is the real issue in these troubling times.

Both you losers should post better

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Outrail posted:

I was in the big city earlier this week and an obvious homeless guy came up and before I could say no he says "Can you buy me a sandwich? My wife and I are living in a tent". Ended up buying him $20 worth of jerky and nuts, should have just taken him to Mc Donald's.

He was cool and had a good story and was really appreciative so I don't feel too bad.

I once bought about $10 worth of snacks for a guy in a convenience store who said he was broke and asked if I could help him get something to eat. I went back to my car, and as I was driving away I saw him give it all back to the clerk for a cash refund.
Never again.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Why is boy scout popcorn so bad but girl scout cookies so good

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

King Possum III posted:

I once bought about $10 worth of snacks for a guy in a convenience store who said he was broke and asked if I could help him get something to eat. I went back to my car, and as I was driving away I saw him give it all back to the clerk for a cash refund.
Never again.

Why did you give him the receipt lol

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Devils Affricate posted:

Should've unzipped your pants

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Why is boy scout popcorn so bad but girl scout cookies so good

Because the boy scouts are bad and the girl scouts are good

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
just say you don;t have any cash what's so hard about that?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

haha you think stores require a recipt for a refund lol

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

C-SPAN Caller posted:

The bum didn't need a receipt. I had just bought the stuff at that store, so the clerk knew it came from there.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Outrail posted:

I feel like jerky and nuts has got to be the absolute worst way to give someone food per dollar. No one legitimately begging is gonna be watching their macro intake.

Beggars really get me, i absolutely want to help and the idea that someone needs to beg for money for basic necessities is depressing as gently caress but I basically never give money to people asking for it. It just always seems so calculated, they never target stores with wealthy shoppers it's always the poorer areas cause poor people are the only ones actually suckered into giving cash to some dude saying it's for gas/food. Where I live it's always the same spot and it's always a group of a couple people, some sitting off to the side where you wouldn't notice if you weren't looking and one manning the sign. I wanna help but at the same time I don't wanna give 20 bucks for what they're gonna spend it on so it's just a depressing situation each and every time.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Outpost22 posted:

haha you think stores require a recipt for a refund lol

I am starting to believe since starting a career that receipts exist just to get you fired for not filing your company expenses correctly

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Chinatown posted:

it was great i mnade a salad that included a hard boiled egg, bleu cheese, kalamata olives and a light balsamic dressing.

Sounds awesome. Also, gently caress panhandlers and solicitors of all kinds.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
I live in a condo and hate people who are poor.

Who am I?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
3O

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

+1

Sex Falcon
Jun 4, 2013

:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
sorry you eat salad like a weakling, OP

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i go to the supermarket fresh and I buy some apples go outside and sell them for more money the difference is called a net profit look it up on shark tank

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Hey damon I know you love apples, gimme that fubu money son, you need one of these everyday

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
don't get triggered by them op

look down at the ground as you walk and ignore them

then they can't do poo poo

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I like to reply "I only give to winos"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
there's a "pregnant" lady who hangs out in the chicago loop asking for money

she has been "pregnant" for over a year and a half

then there's the "blind guy" darrell who speaks in a weird voice and violently swings his blind person's cane while walking back and forth on an El train. his eyes are always glassy, but I've seen him run on the train platform

he's been doing it for at least ten years by my recollection

• Locked thread