Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

That Robot posted:

there's a "pregnant" lady who hangs out in the chicago loop asking for money

she has been "pregnant" for over a year and a half

then there's the "blind guy" darrell who speaks in a weird voice and violently swings his blind person's cane while walking back and forth on an El train. his eyes are always glassy, but I've seen him run on the train platform

he's been doing it for at least ten years by my recollection

In the last couple months there's been a guy coming through on the Blue Line with a rotting leg sort of loosely bandaged up. It's the worst thing I've ever smelled and it lingers with you for a good hour after he's passed through. I haven't seem him for a bit so I hope he got blood poisoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

Some woman asking for money for some unknown charity asked me why I looked sad as I walked into a loving Whole Foods for a salad for lunch.

This is the quintessential goon experience Chinatown, including the part where you lied about going to Whole Foods for a salad and instead were going into a low end chain supermarket for a take and bake pizza

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

i want to give the cute kids money for their summer quiddich camp or whatever but I don't carry cash, this is 2016 in canada, take plastic goddammit

Isn't Canadian money made from a polymer plastic now?

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 7, 2016

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

This is the quintessential goon experience Chinatown, including the part where you lied about going to Whole Foods for a salad and instead were going into a low end chain supermarket for a take and bake pizza

hrm nope i like their salad bar a lot since its fresh and good and usually comes to around $8.50

pizza is for weekends (costco za)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

That Robot posted:

where did you live? was this in a rural area?

<1k town in the thumb of Michigan

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Squashing Machine posted:

In the last couple months there's been a guy coming through on the Blue Line with a rotting leg sort of loosely bandaged up. It's the worst thing I've ever smelled and it lingers with you for a good hour after he's passed through. I haven't seem him for a bit so I hope he got blood poisoning

what's up fellow chigoon :hf:

that certainly sounds like the blue line

The Groper posted:

<1k town in the thumb of Michigan

dang

and you just gave out cats on the reg?

Chinatown posted:

hrm nope i like their salad bar a lot since its fresh and good and usually comes to around $8.50

pizza is for weekends (costco za)

at marianos grocery stores you can buy a steak and they'll grill it for you

it's cool and good and exceeds any good a salad bar could bring

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
But will they grill it well done with a ketchup marinade?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
There's this guy in the Walmart parking lot that would tell me his wife is coming home from Iraq and he desperately needs money for gas to go meet her at the airport

Weirdly his wife comes home and he runs out of gas at least once a week.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
There's not a lot of panhandlers in the town where I live. One time a guy asked me for a ride to the church as I came out of the gas station, and I told him no. He said it's only a few blocks away and I said "Sorry I can't. Now go away" and he did.

What really gets me is fricken Canadian pharmacy. They won't stop calling me and asking me to buy dick pills. Last time they called I asked to speak to a supervisor, and someone else came on the phone, and I told him to suck my dick. He said "okay" and i got really weirded out and hung up

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

That Robot posted:

dang

and you just gave out cats on the reg?

Yeah, you want some? I could probably go up and pick up a box of em any time.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Odd posted:

There's not a lot of panhandlers in the town where I live. One time a guy asked me for a ride to the church as I came out of the gas station, and I told him no. He said it's only a few blocks away and I said "Sorry I can't. Now go away" and he did.

What really gets me is fricken Canadian pharmacy. They won't stop calling me and asking me to buy dick pills. Last time they called I asked to speak to a supervisor, and someone else came on the phone, and I told him to suck my dick. He said "okay" and i got really weirded out and hung up

Canadians are polite.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i was gonna call you a tard op and that girl scout cookies owned but i saw where you said they were the exception so were even i guess

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Do people selling tamales out of the back of a car count as solicitors?

heroes imo

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

The Groper posted:

Yeah, you want some? I could probably go up and pick up a box of em any time.

nah im good

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

One time this bum sidled up to me and said "hey can you help me out with a couple bucks" in a high pitched Mickey Mouse voice. Continuing in that voice he explained that talking in a high voice makes him seem less scary and people are more likely to give him money than when he begged in his regular voice.
The technique won me over and the dude must have tried everything before coming up with that so I gave him a 5

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
One time I was sitting in my car in a Walmart parking lot with my small child, when I saw a woman soliciting. I didn't make eye contact with her because honestly, I simply don't carry cash. When she realised I wasn't looking at her, she came up and started banging on my window. I rolled down my window slightly, because I couldn't just pull out without running her over, and she gave me a paper with her life story on it (she was, according to the paper, deaf). I had to say "no, I'm sorry", shake my head, and then shrug in a really exaggerated manner before she'd leave. It was pretty scary, if only because my daughter was there.

That said, there's a woman's shelter that panhandles near my house every so often, and when I tell them I don't carry cash, they give me a flyer that has their website info on it. I've donated to them that way a few times, they're legit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

*stands in front of 7/11, holds out cup* giMME CHAAAANGE

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I never give money to people asking for a handout unless I am pretty sure they are going to spend it on drugs or alcohol.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

*stands in front of 7/11, holds out cup* giMME CHAAAANGE

Obama walks by, trying to avoid eye contact, feels a deep sense of guilt.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

a bone to pick posted:

Obama walks by, trying to avoid eye contact, feels a deep sense of guilt.

:same:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Sheep-Goats posted:

Chinaown is a classy rear end goon I totes see him going to a salad bar. Please lurk more so you do not embarrass yourself like this again in the future.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

Chinaown is a classy rear end goon I totes see him going to a salad bar. Please lurk more so you do not embarrass yourself like this again in the future.

:respek:

I'm eating either a chicken cobb or a greek salad for lunch today. :cool:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

I never give money to people asking for a handout unless I am pretty sure they are going to spend it on drugs or alcohol.

So literally every time someone begs from you you just dump the contents of your wallet? I assume that everyone that begs is a lying sack of poo poo

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Nooner posted:

chinatown is an upstanding fellow who also has my endorsement

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
99.9% of beggars are drunks or drug addicts - don't give them poo poo

Call the cops and they'll take them to a shelter if they're actually in need

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

artificially stocked lake posted:

So literally every time someone begs from you you just dump the contents of your wallet? I assume that everyone that begs is a lying sack of poo poo

same

I saw a beggar in China with no legs and 1 arm and my first thought was "those are some sick rear end prosthetics he's using just to beg"

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

artificially stocked lake posted:

You give a homeless person a buck or two and that's the contents of your wallet? :sad:

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Odd posted:

Did he follow through on the agreement?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Both are good. It depends what kind of food you're in the mood for.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

wow, i had no idea!!!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

EugeneJ posted:

I like to think that giving them some money is a benefit of the doubt kind of thing. Maybe they're not drunks or drug addicts!
But probably they are, and maybe people volunteering to feed their addiction is better than them committing property crimes in order to feed it by smashing in 20 car windows to steal the GPS units inside.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I just give 'em some change/cash if I have it because but for the grace of God that could be me.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
remember that thread in EN or whatever where that dude called the cops on a pan handler for getting too near his gated apartment complex or something then tried to ask the internet if that was the right thing to do

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003
One time I was buyin dope in Paterson NJ and there was a homeless guy with a styrofoam cup begging for change in the middle of the intersection I had to cross to enter/leave the hood and on the way out I tossed a bag of dope in his cup because I thought that would be funny

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

luv 2 date boys posted:

remember that thread in EN or whatever where that dude called the cops on a pan handler for getting too near his gated apartment complex or something then tried to ask the internet if that was the right thing to do

lol yeah I remember that one. Dude owned a bum lol

LiteraryDouble
Nov 28, 2014

Hello friends.
What's worse is the people not at the front of the grocery store.

If you live in an urban area, or very near one, you get "charity" solicitors who are too afraid to stand in front of the store itself. They come up to you when you're going back to your car, asking if you'd like to donate to a "local charity", a church youth group, or something similar.

Spoiler alert: It's actually just some dude who wants cash for a fifth of vodka.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lol Ialwasy feel kinda guilty when I go into the market and like some kid tries to sell me a candybar for his sports team or somethign and im like "nah man sorry" and then just walk out with like a big bottle of liquor and some junk food

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I mostly feel bad for Campfire because they're a good organization but they sell candy instead of cookies and run their main fundraiser after the Girl Scouts

That's just setting yourself up for failure

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Squashing Machine posted:

A few years back there was this guy for a while hanging around the Loop, mostly by Columbia College, asking to smell and play with other people's feet for money. Wonder whatever happened to that guy. Hated everyone with a clipboard by the Loop, they were passive aggressive to the max. Finally just told one in as stern a look possible I was a recently paroled felon. The look of horror on the guy's face was something I wish I could've taken a picture of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Nooner posted:

lol Ialwasy feel kinda guilty when I go into the market and like some kid tries to sell me a candybar for his sports team or somethign and im like "nah man sorry" and then just walk out with like a big bottle of liquor and some junk food

Lol "the market" nooner cmon man

• Locked thread