Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

JetSetGo posted:

A few years back there was this guy for a while hanging around the Loop, mostly by Columbia College, asking to smell and play with other people's feet for money. Wonder whatever happened to that guy. Hated everyone with a clipboard by the Loop, they were passive aggressive to the max. Finally just told one in as stern a look possible I was a recently paroled felon. The look of horror on the guy's face was something I wish I could've taken a picture of.

It's true. The scariest thing you can see someone holding in the Loop isn't a gun, it's a loving clipboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Oh hey nice shirt good haircut woah here comes trouble ha ha by the way do you have a moment to talk about my organization, the We're Black, Gay, and Mentally Ill Alliance oh you don't that's cool catch you later

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Captain Yossarian posted:

Lol "the market" nooner cmon man

lol dammit I know I dont know how I picked that up but everyone makes fun of me for it but i cant help it, for some reason my brain got wired to say it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Captain Yossarian posted:

Lol "the market" nooner cmon man

yeah its called "ralphs" or "the store"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Chinatown posted:

yeah its called "ralphs" or "the store"

much like how in the south every type of soda is refered to as a coke, in SoCal every type of grocery store is "Ralps"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
If you're ever approached by someone who asks you what state ends with the letter k just say new york and walk away as fast as you can

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

much like how in the south every type of soda is refered to as a coke, in SoCal every type of grocery store is "Ralps"

Ralph's is a good supermarket and I shop there all the time plus the people who work there are super chill and unionized and enjoy their jobs it seems!

I should open a "Ralps" though.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Squashing Machine posted:

We're Black, Gay, and Mentally Ill Alliance

I didnt know we started recruiting irl.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ralphs make me sad the one by my house has an insanely bad parking lot and is really hard to get out of and back to my apartment, and the other convenient one is right on my drive home from the office but it also has a bad parking lot and really lovely meat section and is full of old russian people. Produce section is on point though.

Chinatown posted:

Ralph's is a good supermarket and I shop there all the time plus the people who work there are super chill and unionized and enjoy their jobs it seems!

Lol seems to have worked for Jons, I have no idea how they get away with that poo poo

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Chinatown posted:

i would poo poo at this store. just really give the ol' "cleanup on aisle 3" treatment

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

Ralphs make me sad the one by my house has an insanely bad parking lot and is really hard to get out of and back to my apartment, and the other convenient one is right on my drive home from the office but it also has a bad parking lot and really lovely meat section and is full of old russian people. Produce section is on point though.

The one near me is a "Fresh Fare" one thats like way upscale and has a legit meat and gourmet cheese area. Also they just remodeled their deli and they have a pizza oven and other good stuff.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
the only thing charity beggars deserve is a swift and merciless chop to the neck

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Chinatown posted:

The one near me is a "Fresh Fare" one thats like way upscale and has a legit meat and gourmet cheese area. Also they just remodeled their deli and they have a pizza oven and other good stuff.

Yeah there is one across the street from my buddies that isbrand new and is fancy as gently caress but the one on the way home for me is old and run down. It sucks cause its so convenient to just stop by to get dinner on the way back to the apartment is super convenient instead of going out of my way, but half the time I still have to go to a second market to get poo poo that they didnt have at the Ralphs

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lol if u dont go to the clearance racks in teh back of the store and search for cheap booze and random poo poo

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:hellyeah: back store clearance rack, always have hella beers just like random cans for like .75 and sometime wine for like 1.50

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I got a gently caress ton of spices that I've wanted but are too cheap to pay full price for the other day from back store clearance rack

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

LiteraryDouble posted:

What's worse is the people not at the front of the grocery store.

If you live in an urban area, or very near one, you get "charity" solicitors who are too afraid to stand in front of the store itself. They come up to you when you're going back to your car, asking if you'd like to donate to a "local charity", a church youth group, or something similar.

Spoiler alert: It's actually just some dude who wants cash for a fifth of vodka.

I once had a girl approach me in a supermarket parking lot, holding a can and asking if I'd donate "to help people on drugs."

Technically, she was honest about her true purpose.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I hate it when you tell them you don't have a credit card for whatever reason and they keep talking to you like they're interested in your story. Stop trying to make me feel guilty.

Tried to use some language skills and to brush them off once. "Como? Lo siento 'migo, no entiendo.", but it was in Arizona they had someone who speaks Spanish and I had to dig deeper with "Que? No, no no, falla espanol, portugesa?" I don't think they believed me.

Wanna drop a "Cao ni ma?" one day but I don't have the balls.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
speaking of markets, what should I make for diner tonight guys?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im either getting a burrito or going to the "store" for some hot italian sausage to make with some pasta & veggies

being a friday im feelin whole foods for some quality sausage :grin:

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Once when I got asked for change for a train in Portland, I calmly turned and said in the most sincere voice I could "oh, didn't you know, we're in Portland, all the trains are free here!"

She jumps up and explodes, telling me I'm a human being, a dumb gay human being with a little dick, and I don't remember much else as my friends and I were almost falling over laughing so hard, as she gets more, and more pissed. She followed me for 2 blocks until we went into a bar.

Now I just shake my head and smile, knowing I can never top that one.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nooner posted:

speaking of markets, what should I make for diner tonight guys?

Can of spagetti-o's and a pair of king cobras

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Outrail posted:

that is a dinner of sadness I need to celebrate it being Friday!!

Im thinking handle of rum and maybe steaks, but my idiot dipshit roommate used up all the propane the other day and hasnt replaced it yet so I'd have to do them on the stove :sigh:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also watched a panhandler that stands at a busy intersection with a "I'm Broke - Help" signs have cars stop to give him change, and after 3 cars gave him change the 4th one sitting behind them didn't, so he got pissed and tried to open the car's passenger door. The driver was horrified and sped off.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
cast iron steaks is good, friend

remember to add butter!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinatown posted:

cast iron steaks is good, friend

remember to add butter!

Or you could just get a steak with a nice strip of fat on it. :shrug:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Nice fatty piece of ribeye with salt, ketchup, garlic, and pepper. Owns

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

TheLightPurges posted:

Nice fatty piece of ribeye with salt, ketchup, garlic, and pepper. Owns

fly away troll! :roflolmao:

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I also watched a panhandler that stands at a busy intersection with a "I'm Broke - Help" signs have cars stop to give him change, and after 3 cars gave him change the 4th one sitting behind them didn't, so he got pissed and tried to open the car's passenger door. The driver was horrified and sped off.

Guy was right to speed off; he broke the dude's combo and that's no small crime

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

I just give 'em some change/cash if I have it because but for the grace of God that could be me.

Yeah like come the gently caress on a dollar or two is totally meaningless in the grand scheme of my personal finances, so to help someone out or give them a momentary distraction from their lovely life isn't really something I have to agonize over or think about.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Just smile, tell them you bought some yesterday, and with a quick handshake give them the old stink palm.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Outrail posted:

hell yeah

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah like come the gently caress on a dollar or two is totally meaningless in the grand scheme of my personal finances, so to help someone out or give them a momentary distraction from their lovely life isn't really something I have to agonize over or think about.

What happens when you've got ten asking you every day? Thats the thing, one or two bucks is nothing but when it's everyday compassion and financial fatigue sets in pretty quick.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Or you could just get a steak with a nice strip of fat on it. :shrug:

why not both?

EvilMossman
Apr 1, 2016

Bell ringers disconcert me

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

EvilMossman posted:

Bell ringers disconcert me

i rang the salvo bell for community service in high school

it was cold but the guy that does it every year genuinely seemed like he cared for the well-being of other people and sincerely hoped for the best of mankind.

i don't have a joke to go along with it, dude was an awesome human being.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

Fund raisers sitting outside the supermarket/hardware stores (bunnings for example) selling hot dogs for $2.50 are also exempt because they're providing a critical service as well as raising money for sport teams, scouts and Hitler youth and good on em.

Nah they're still scum because (here at least) it's a sausage in a bread roll, Sacrelige!

THIS is how to do a sausage sizzle:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

One time I was hungry and wanted to eat healthy so I went to buy a salad at a store and sat, eating the salad inside. A person comes into the store and offers me 50 cents for a bite of my salad. As an employee comes by shoo'ing him away, the person looks at me and tells the employee that I wanted to give him some salad. I didn't. I also don't eat store bought salad anymore, they're expensive!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TV Zombie posted:

One time I was hungry and wanted to eat healthy so I went to buy a salad at a store and sat, eating the salad inside. A person comes into the store and offers me 50 cents for a bite of my salad. As an employee comes by shoo'ing him away, the person looks at me and tells the employee that I wanted to give him some salad. I didn't. I also don't eat store bought salad anymore, they're expensive!

That's probably not even a good deal for you what a jerk. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I was in Campfire, 4-H, sports, band, you name it. I won all kinds of poo poo for outselling all the other kids. The best prizes were a bike and a tv, but the Disneyland tickets were pretty good too. To this day, whenever I see kids trying to sell for their organization, I buy stuff no matter what because I know what it's like to stand there and have assholes brush me off.

• Locked thread