Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

http://yurionice.com/en/
http://www.crunchyroll.com/yuri-on-ice

quote:

The show's story revolves around Yuuri Katsuki, who carried all of Japan's hopes on his shoulders to win at the Grand Prix Finale ice skating competition, but suffered a crushing defeat. He returns home to Kyushu and half feels like he wants to retire, and half feels like he wants to continue ice skating. With those mixed feelings swirling inside him, he confines himself inside his parents house. Suddenly the five-time consecutive world championship ice skater Viktor Nikiforov appears before him, and along with him is Yuri Plisetsky, a young Russian figure skater who is already defeating his seniors. Viktor and both Yuris take up the challenge on an unprecedented Gran Prix series. Source: ANN

Characters

Yuri Katsuki
VA: Toshiyuki Toyonaga

After suffering an early defeat at the Grand Prix Final and graduating college Yuri returns to his hometown of Kyusyu feeling uncertain how to proceed towards his future and ice skating.

Viktor Nikiforov
VA: Junichi Suwabe

One of the top ice skaters and five-time winner of World Championships Viktor is rumored to be retiring soon from the field but before then he takes a interest in Yuri by a coincidence and offers to become his coach.

Yuri Plisetsky
VA: Koki Uchiyama

A fellow student with Viktor and upcoming young ice skater who has high ambitions towards making his senior debut. He has a aggressive persona who often clashes with Yuri and others. Yuri uses his winnings to support his family from his rookie days.

PV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5BL6gBZjOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xcX0sqkkA

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

When do the girls kiss?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Namtab posted:

When do the girls kiss?

Never. It's not that kind of show :catstare:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

VERY misleading title

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Seems cool

Alder posted:

Never. It's not that kind of show :catstare:

gas

e: do the boys kiss?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

when do the Yuris kiss

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Olympics Gran Prix Finale of Sochi.

I love the art and the OP of this. Will be watching. I found the episode a bit all over the place and quick paced, but I assume it's to set up a quick story that I feel we are picking up in the middle.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Boys love isn't my bag, but I hope this show is good and that the boys kiss because a big, lavishly animated, openly Yaoi thing seems like it could quietly be a Big Deal.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Really enjoyed the first episode. Hopefully Victor will be introducing Yuri to the wonderful world of performance enhancing drugs.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
how funny is this show

because people keep trying to hint that it might be super funny but at a glance it's free on ice

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

That was a fun first episode, and everything was really pretty. Here's to hoping the rest of the show keeps up with the humour rather than going like Free! and its Rin angst galore.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I like how fast this show moves, but there was one important thing that I missed: the three kids who pop up while Yuri is trying to confess to his childhood friend are _her_ kids, she's married to guy who used to bully him. Yuri's got issues lol.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"My dog died while I was away and I was thrown off by that," might be the most relatable problem any anime character has ever had.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I mean I was undoubtedly gonna like it anyway but dang, this just looks really, really good visually

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This is like, the one thing I'm interested in this season and it seems pretty promising! This show is really really pretty.

A friend of mine who's a figure skater watched it and she absolutely loved it so this show seems Good on that front too.

Russian Yuri and drunk ballet lady ftw

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm merely a person who watches a lot of figure skating so I'm just an armchair expert but yeah, the skating animation was really nice.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I watched the winter olympics once and I think the skating looks cool.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

how funny is this show

because people keep trying to hint that it might be super funny but at a glance it's free on ice

i dunno what exactly is wrong with free, but the first episode of this was super cute and yes, funny. it's not a comedy or anything but it found it enjoyable all the way through.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Boys love isn't my bag, but I hope this show is good and that the boys kiss because a big, lavishly animated, openly Yaoi thing seems like it could quietly be a Big Deal.

I doubt it since Free! isn't BL despite the ongoing jokes around the series.

devtesla posted:

I like how fast this show moves, but there was one important thing that I missed: the three kids who pop up while Yuri is trying to confess to his childhood friend are _her_ kids, she's married to guy who used to bully him. Yuri's got issues lol.

I missed this part. welp, he tried :smith:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Free rules

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

dogsicle posted:

i dunno what exactly is wrong with free, but the first episode of this was super cute and yes, funny. it's not a comedy or anything but it found it enjoyable all the way through.

I like my sports anime to be more ~hot~ and less cool which is why I like Haikyu instead of Prince of Tennis and Slam Dunk instead of Kurokos.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

I like my sports anime to be more ~hot~ and less cool which is why I like Haikyu instead of Prince of Tennis and Slam Dunk instead of Kurokos.

this seems more...soft? the mc is a chubby and emotional/sensitive guy, in contrast with the cool and experienced champion and hot-headed thuggish kid.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
but is he the soft and emotional sensitive type that has a deep well of drive that will make me feel hype like Ippo/Onoda/the Tennis guy from Baby Steps???

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

but is he the soft and emotional sensitive type that has a deep well of drive that will make me feel hype like Ippo/Onoda/the Tennis guy from Baby Steps???

i'm confident he will find it as the show progresses. in the first ep he's dealing with a slump/depression.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
despite being duped by the promise of gays, this was actually very good and I'm eager for more.

I kinda expected more...light hearted I guess? Like not full on comedy obviously but I guess I've been conditioned to assume sports based animes are kinda more light hearted or cartoonishly over the top, so one that's more grounded while still managing to be entertaining caught me off guard in a welcome way.

Like yea, seeing a kinda sensitive guy dealing with feeling like he's defined by his slump was kinda sweet to see and unlike a lot of sports animes it wasn't instantly resolved to set up the ~real plot~, it felt like that's gonna be a large part of the ~real plot~ even if it gets bigger than 'I hosed up and am sad'.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think people need to get over the idea of sports anime as hot-blooded homo festivals. It's a versatile, wide-ranging genre that's been around as long as anime has!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I haven't yet watched the first ep, it's just something I noticed lately, with people saying "X isn't gay enough to be a sports anime!" or "Y isn't hot-blooded enough" etc. and it kind of grinds my gears!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I would be very happy if people would stop being weird about genres too, not expecting much though :(

Anyway, this first episode was super cool, definitely looking forward to more and I cannot wait to see their big dramatic season highlight routines

Here is the good OP, a lovely environment shot and an adorable mum

https://u.pomf.is/dgodoq.webm

Knorth fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 6, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Augh!!! That was incredible!!!!

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed this first episode.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
i liked the butt

no but seriously this was a very sweet first episode. I actually felt chilly looking at that snow. drunk lady owns bones as does the??? older sister??? person??? her design was sick

I really hope that victor gets to be Actually Gay, although even if he isn't I'll still be happy that I was pandered to for once in my life. Also the anatomy isn't hideous like free

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 6, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That was an incredible first episode. I can't wait to see the blurays where they triple the animation count on the skating scenes

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

this is a good show on several levels. one of the levels is that it has good boys. i hope the boys continue to be good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjlSiASsUIs

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
god drat this show is so great

Alder posted:

I missed this part. welp, he tried :smith:

the man's been absent for 5 years, chasing his dreams, cant blame the girl for settling for 2nd best. and its not like the other guy hasn't changed :unsmith:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

devtesla posted:

i thought that was made obvious by the scene where the 3 kids, the guy and the girl are together in their house lol

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

i thought that was made obvious by the scene where the 3 kids, the guy and the girl are together in their house lol

It's not vague, it's just easy to miss because the show moves so fast.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Also you gotta remember that she's two years older than him. That doesn't matter much when you're older, but he's been gone since he was what, 18? 19?

My favorite so far is younger Yuri.

Also, glad this show isn't in the vein of absolute beginner becomes world's best. He's been skating his whole life and was already on an international level, so that's not super crazy.

Character design of his sister was super cool, and I hope we see more of her 8)

And while I want this to be an actual BL thing where the boys actually kiss, I'm also ok with it being Free! on ice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I kind of feel like the two Yuris getting together is more likely than Japanese Yuri and Viktor, if anyone gets together with anyone, but the promo material sure has been teasing the latter pairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Loved the first episode. A lot of pathos early on in the episode followed by an interesting turn around.

Seeing Viktor and Yuuri together the only thing going through my mind is Mike Tyson holding two pigeons together.

"Now kith".

• Locked thread