Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Yuuri is the most accurate romanisation of the Japanese one's name, AFAIK.

Yuri and Yurio is how they are differentiated in the show, so everyone will know what you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The Cutest Pork Cutlet Bowl and the Russian Punk are also acceptable

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Or if you're victor, referring to them as piglet and kitten.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well now, this is interesting.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Ooh, cool.

I keep seeing people mention that Yuri telling Viktor to watch him was a slight mistranslation, or rather that Yuri was much more emphatic and wanted to tell Viktor that he should keep his eyes only on him? I should have saved links but I was just idly reading last night.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Ooh, cool.

I keep seeing people mention that Yuri telling Viktor to watch him was a slight mistranslation, or rather that Yuri was much more emphatic and wanted to tell Viktor that he should keep his eyes only on him? I should have saved links but I was just idly reading last night.

I think you mean this:

fencer-x posted:

He says in Japanese 僕だけを見ててください–and CR failed to incorporate the だけ into their translation, which means “only (and nothing else)”. He’s asking Victor to focus on him, to not be distracted, to not let his eyes fall on anything else but Yuuri. It’s far more “demanding” than just asking him to watch, because he’s asking Victor to watch him and him alone.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm not sure I would call that a mistranslation when the intention behind the line is coming across the line pretty clearly. Plus, I don't know how it sounds in Japanese but "only watch me" or "don't look away while watching me" or what have you that gets closer to the literal words sounds more clumsy than anything.

This is closely followed by Yuri giving Viktor bedroom eyes and Viktor whistling, I don't think the intention here is lost on anyone.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait for my heterosexual bro to impregnate my male, heterosexual body

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

This is closely followed by Yuri giving Viktor bedroom eyes and Viktor whistling, I don't think the intention here is lost on anyone.
You'd be surprised. I've found a number of reviewers who are sticking with "Boy, Yuri sure loves his katsudon."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

You'd be surprised. I've found a number of reviewers who are sticking with "Boy, Yuri sure loves his katsudon."

... I think I kind of want a link now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There's always someone willing to block the gay out of their minds.

There was a guy here on Something Awful who refused to believe that Legend of Korra was hinting at a gay relationship all through S3 and S4 when people said "wow, the show sure is hinting hard at a gay relationship." And then when the show ended with the relationship as something way beyond subtext, and the creators said "yep, we were hinting hard at a gay relationship all through S3 and S4, and a gay relationship is exactly what it was" he still didn't believe it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

That was a cool and interesting post

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Blue Nation posted:

I think you mean this:

Ah, cool, thanks!

a cartoon duck posted:

Very true, I just liked that little bit of extra oomph to the statement.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Knorth posted:

That was a cool and interesting post

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm really happy the feelings have become obvious and undeniable (for sane people) because this is exactly what I wanted.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

... I think I kind of want a link now.

This is the first one that came to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gNRwbL6Y0E

At this point the story feels like a gay coming of age story that happens to be wrapped in a sports anime. It's really weird that no one is going past "I ship it" in their discussions.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Maera Sior posted:

It's really weird that no one is going past "I ship it" in their discussions.

I've seen a bunch on Tumblr to the effect of "oh please let this be what it looks like, if this doesn't deliver it's basically letting itself down writing-wise". But yeah, I think reviews seem to be unwilling to accept it as a potential show that happens to involve gay people. If it actually goes somewhere then I'll be curious to see if suddenly they're like "well this is a yaoi genre show" instead of considering it a sports anime that happens to actually have gay characters (ymmv of course on what qualifies for that).

Until they actually go there (and by that I mean have a non-skating-routine actual romance discussed or acted on in the show, resultant relationship or not), I don't think I have faith in the show's ability to not go either "nope, that's just service" or "well, we don't really need to say it explicitly, so those who want it can do that outside the canon". When they cross that line, then I'll believe.
I'm so done with the general anime attitude of "any fanservice can happen as long as it's not mentioned in the script or is played off as not relevant by the script, no matter how inconsistently written it makes the characters/incongruous to the plot it may be".
Man, I want this show to stay awesome though. It might really be willing to write... you know, a story about the characters it's developing thus far.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Dean Fujioka's History Maker Lyrics posted:

Can you hear my heartbeat?
Tired of feeling never enough
I close my eyes and tell myself that my dreams will come true

There'll be no more darkness
when you believe in yourself you are unstoppable
Where your destiny lies, dancing on the blades,
you set my heart on fire

Don't stop us now, the moment of truth
We were born to make history
We'll make it happen, we'll turn it around
Yes, we were born to make history

Let me ask you. Have you ever set someones heart on fire and it not been a relationship?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the show can and should be as gay as it likes, but i don't trust viktor to not hurt yuri. so an alternative would be preferable...

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'm gonna be honest: I don't buy that it's going to remain on the level of fanservice. This episode essentially made the gay text, not subtext, even if they didn't actually say the word "gay". It's very, very obviously a story about sexual awakening from a gay perspective, which is incredibly cool to see. If you are terrible at metaphors you can cling to the idea of Yuri skating for katsudon, but it's there to represent his relationship with victor.

My guess is Victor is going to get his own development at some point to stop being such a tease and start paying attention to Yuri.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
The people insisting its a non gay thing are the same types of people who question why a character SHOULD be gay in something.

"I mean if its a good show why does it matter if theyre gay?"

BECAUSE REPRESENTATION MATTERS ASSHOLES.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Viktor is probably going to hurt Yuri pretty badly because his reason for coming out to Japan is likely more selfish than Yuri realizes. I mean, that was pretty obvious just from his reaction to the video. He wasn't flattered or intrigued, it looked like annoyance and even a flash of anger. Either seeing that upset him because of something bad that he's got hiding in his past (as in, he might actually be interested in/sympathetic to Yuri so his anger was about something related to what he saw but not at Yuri himself) or it upset him in a way that made him decide to use Yuri to pull himself out of whatever problem he's created lately.

Yuri hasn't even started to process the fact that his idol is a flesh and blood person who can be kinda lovely, like any person can be.

But I mean generally yeah I'm probably not going to say much beyond "I ship it" until I see which way the wind is blowing with the show itself. I guess if other people here wanted to talk about it anyway, I can do it, I'm not really having a lot of fun reading tumblr posts about it at the moment.

e: fine I'll go whole hog, the stuff with Viktor I said above but it resolves in a way that's absolutely gay in that he has to get Yuri back after he fucks up :allears:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway until it actually crosses the gay line i'm still feeling pretty ambivalent about that aspect of the show. people are really hyped up on how prevalent the subtext was in this episode but i still feel like it could be pulled out from under me at any second. hopefully in a few weeks we'll know one way or another.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yeah, definitely. I mean, wait and see but there's already stuff layered in that I would not have expected so I'm pretty curious.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Viktor is probably going to hurt Yuri pretty badly because his reason for coming out to Japan is likely more selfish than Yuri realizes. I mean, that was pretty obvious just from his reaction to the video. He wasn't flattered or intrigued, it looked like annoyance and even a flash of anger. Either seeing that upset him because of something bad that he's got hiding in his past (as in, he might actually be interested in/sympathetic to Yuri so his anger was about something related to what he saw but not at Yuri himself) or it upset him in a way that made him decide to use Yuri to pull himself out of whatever problem he's created lately.

Yuri hasn't even started to process the fact that his idol is a flesh and blood person who can be kinda lovely, like any person can be.

But I mean generally yeah I'm probably not going to say much beyond "I ship it" until I see which way the wind is blowing with the show itself. I guess if other people here wanted to talk about it anyway, I can do it, I'm not really having a lot of fun reading tumblr posts about it at the moment.

e: fine I'll go whole hog, the stuff with Viktor I said above but it resolves in a way that's absolutely gay in that he has to get Yuri back after he fucks up :allears:

This is the kind of thing that has me wondering. At some point the idealization is gonna come crashing down, and Yuri is going to see Viktor as a real person.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

the show can and should be as gay as it likes, but i don't trust viktor to not hurt yuri. so an alternative would be preferable...

Gay skater relationship drama sounds amazing, actually. I would cry a lot but it could be incredible.

Anyway iceboys are nails now

https://twitter.com/chiekonakayama/status/789089963140722688

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It's pretty obvious Viktor is gonna hurt Yuri down the line, but I doubt it's gonna be that level of intentional or because he has skeletons in his closet. The show's already made clear that Viktor's in it to surprise the audience and once he succeeded at that he pretty much immediately grows bored with a routine and move on, and the biggest failure of last season suddenly being on Viktor's level or even surpassing him would be a huge surprise.

It'd be in line with the show telling that story of a playboy seducing the most beautiful woman in town, then immediately ditching while identifying Viktor with the playboy and Yuri with the woman. Hell, that's effectively what happened to Yurio this episode already.

Edit: As far as the show doubling down on the gay romance or having it remain subtextual or even copping out, I'm tentatively optimistic so far but I'm also not gonna be surprised if it ultimately goes nowhere and remains "just" fanservice. I'm gonna be super disappointed if that happens, though.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 22, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Viktor's gonna get hit by a truck.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Terper posted:

That loving truck is going to ruin every anime.

M. Morgan
May 9, 2012

Nobody expects characters to actually be gay in sports anime. :colbert:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Edit: As far as the show doubling down on the gay romance or having it remain subtextual or even copping out, I'm tentatively optimistic so far but I'm also not gonna be surprised if it ultimately goes nowhere and remains "just" fanservice. I'm gonna be super disappointed if that happens, though.

Agreed, I'm jaded after seeing a good number of anime just back away after a few episodes or go in a strange direction before the ending. I'll reserve my judgement after I've seen the entire season and not until then. Also surprised Yurio returned so quickly to Russia and I wonder if this means we'll see how everyone else is training in the meantime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terper posted:

A truck called... romance.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

There's absolutely no way the writers are going to actually move past fanervice to actual romance. This poo poo is too common in these shows for me to have hope. :(

...I want to hope though. At least the animation is pretty as hell.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Having actually had a chance to watch all three episodes now, I'd have to say that if they don't go for an actual romance, they've gone past ship-teasing and into being actually deceptive. The plot of episode three was "Yuri learns how to skate sexy after realizing that he's super-hot for Victor and learns some feminine moves to put this across on the ice."

It would be really disappointing to see them try to walk this back.

americong
May 29, 2013

I kinda would have preferred if yuri and yurio were similar in age, and the romance evolved between them with mentorship coming from viktor

my poor cutlet bowl is gonna get hurt by the authority figure

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

americong posted:

I kinda would have preferred if yuri and yurio were similar in age, and the romance evolved between them with mentorship coming from viktor

Yeah, we got us a wildly unequal pairing here, and Viktor in particular is going to have to put a lot of effort in for this to have a shot st ending happily.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

americong posted:

https://twitter.com/_HRjam_/status/788725964297469953

Alder fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 23, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Having actually had a chance to watch all three episodes now, I'd have to say that if they don't go for an actual romance, they've gone past ship-teasing and into being actually deceptive. The plot of episode three was "Yuri learns how to skate sexy after realizing that he's super-hot for Victor and learns some feminine moves to put this across on the ice."

I would actually summarize it as "Yuri has problems tapping into his sexuality and realizes that the heterosexual masculine role isn't for him."

If that isn't queer I don't know what is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think someone mentioned it before but it sucks how bad the song is in the OP because I quite like the animation in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

In Training posted:

I think someone mentioned it before but it sucks how bad the song is in the OP because I quite like the animation in it

I really like the song v:shobon:v

Maera Sior posted:

I would actually summarize it as "Yuri has problems tapping into his sexuality and realizes that the heterosexual masculine role isn't for him."

If that isn't queer I don't know what is.

Is there any discussion on this from a Japanese perspective? I know we would consider it a really good indication of "he is queer, this is proof" but are the writers meaning it that way? I'm interested to know.

americong posted:

:smith: the playboy is going to toss him aside and move onto the next town

• Locked thread