Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Hello, thread. I didn't really think to look for a thread for this show because I don't visit the anime forum often enough, and I have yet to read the whole thread, but holy drat do I want to share my experience with Yuri on Ice.

I'd seen this show appear on Crunchyroll and put it on my queue thinking it looked interesting, but didn't watch it right away. I picked it up when a friend told me that it was really good.

Honestly, I really didn't care for the first episode. It just really didn't strike me, but I watched a few more and it started to grow on me. After seeing the whole thing, I can say that no show has ever captivated me like this. I just loved the story, the characters, the animation, and the music. When I was waiting for episode 11, I rewatched the whole thing and that's when I enjoyed episode one- knowing more about the characters, who they were, and their motivations made it more fun.

I sincerely love the fact that Victor and Yuri genuinely care about each other and everyone they know completely accepts it. Nobody says anything like, "But you're both guys!" or objects to it whatsoever. It's awesome that Pichit is just really freaking excited that his buddy got engaged. I think it's just such an awesome way to portray things. :3:

Episode 10's ending made everything make so much sense, and it was just completely adorable. I think "Be my coach, Victor!" is my favorite scene in the whole show.

I'm really glad my husband wasn't home last night while I watched the last episode. I was sobbing while watching Yuri's free skate, and I screamed at my TV when the couples skate scene started. It was pretty intense. I'm not really ashamed, because it's a pretty big compliment to the show that its character development and emotions can make the viewer so involved.

There had better be a season two! I need more of this!!

As an aside, I really enjoyed Suwabe Junichi in this role. I'm an otome game junkie (no thanks to Vibrating Sheep and his wonderful LP!) and his biggest roles that I'm familiar with are the tough guy from Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3 and the smarmy horn dog (ugh) in Uta no Prince Sama, both of which utilize a deeper voice. It was really fun to hear him change it up and speak in a lighter, more carefree manner. It actually took me until episode 4 to catch on that it was him, so I'm glad he's got more range and isn't as typecast as I thought. :shobon:

I also loved Toyonaga Toshiyuki's performance. Really, everyone was fantastic, but the little things the quaver in his voice during emotional scenes were great.

Please pardon the long post, I basically have nobody to talk to about this in real life besides two bums who haven't watched until the end yet. Also am I the only one who spams "You Only Live Once" on the ipod all day? :allears:

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Legs Benedict posted:

Theme of king jj forever

That reminds me: As a Canadian, I liked that JJ is portrayed as an egotistical rear end instead of being an ultra polite maple syrup lover.

Maybe his childhood had something to do with it?
http://vikktuuri.tumblr.com/post/154779456813/miss-cigarettes-but-why-nobody-is-talking-about

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Adel posted:

If you aren't blasting King of JJ with Canadian flags a-flyin' I question how you live your life.

Same, I really enjoyed Suwabe's performance and I'm glad he got a role that was a little more nuanced than what he might normally do. I can't imagine anyone else as Viktor, he really added to the character. That can be said about most of them, actually (my only exception is Hosoyan as Otabek; he did a great job but you can't really tell it's him) so hats off to everyone involved in casting.

I might be the odd one out, because I was hoping JJ would break his leg during the final. :laugh: The whole soundtrack is amazing, though. I love the two In Regards to Love songs especially.

Suwabe is also an award-winning singer, so I'd totally be down for drunken karaoke with Victor next season. That would be awesome.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

This is going to come out of freaking nowhere but I got the soundtrack and even though I still think JJ is a jerk and wish he'd break his legs, his theme is majestic and I've been blasting it in my car. I played it for my husband, but he just didn't understand.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

dogsicle posted:

my ost playlist purposely doesn't have the JJ songs or the Yurio exhibition skate song :twisted:

I always skip "Shall We Skate". :shrug:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I like Figmas over Nendoroids but you bet your rear end I'm going to preorder this adorable little guy. :3:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

dogsicle posted:

i would've preferred an alternate body with his brown coat & scarf, but this is still pretty adorable.

Knowing Good Smile, I wouldn't doubt that they'll release several alternative versions in the future, so you might get your wish! I think it would be absolutely precious if they released a set for Yuuri and Victor's pair skate with matching costumes. :swoon:

I just hope that the inevitable Yurio that gets released has a wide array of adorable grumpy faces.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

They're already on their way! Coming next...

AAAAAAH when can we preorder him??

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

:swoon: MY HEART and my wallet!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I'm still hoping for a tiny Yurio with a multitude of grumpy faces.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

They've announced Yurio as well! I just saw the preview image. (I would post it but on mobile at the moment, sorry.)

Sadly, he is not wearing a tiger shirt, but :3: anyway.

He's not even my favorite character, I just think he'll be a super cute Nendoroid!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I'm honestly curious how many nendoroids Yuri on Ice will get after the main three if any since it's huge everywhere and Haikyuu has gotten a billion of them.

Considering the sheer amount of variations on Madoka Magica Nendoroids, it could be a few. I'm predicting casual clothes and maybe Yuuri's matching costume to go with Victor.

I still really hope there will be Figmas too. The Nendoroids are super cute, but Figmas are lovely and fun to pose!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Not to mention that with Goodsmile you pay up front and AmiAmi waits until item release to charge you, which I think is awesome.

E: I had ordered Yuuri from Goodsmile because I had a duh moment, but I'll probably order the rest from AmiAmi because the lower price makes a huge difference with my piddly Canadian money! :haw:

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 28, 2017

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I really just want Yurio's one true love to be the ice, because he's a little ball of rage who wants to utterly crush his opponents. :allears:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Reminder for anyone who was interested in the non-nendoroid figures that the G.E.M. Victor pre-order went up yesterday. It's about $98. I pre-ordered but am ultimately kind of disappointed by the painting on it, plus his facial expression is a lil weird, but oh well.

I'm kind of sad that they used such dark colors for the clothes. An all-black outfit isn't really that nice on a figure, especially if you're planning to display it. Even some accent details would have been nice. I'm torn on whether to order it because I'm just not sure I like the outfit enough, although I think the sculpt and pose are lovely.

Still waiting on the Yurio Nendoroid preorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I really hope they didn't make him look 15 years younger like that permanently, ugh

• Locked thread