Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I look forward to Viktor kissing Yuri as his reward for winning the Grand Prix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm not sure I would call that a mistranslation when the intention behind the line is coming across the line pretty clearly. Plus, I don't know how it sounds in Japanese but "only watch me" or "don't look away while watching me" or what have you that gets closer to the literal words sounds more clumsy than anything.

This is closely followed by Yuri giving Viktor bedroom eyes and Viktor whistling, I don't think the intention here is lost on anyone.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Viktor is probably going to hurt Yuri pretty badly because his reason for coming out to Japan is likely more selfish than Yuri realizes. I mean, that was pretty obvious just from his reaction to the video. He wasn't flattered or intrigued, it looked like annoyance and even a flash of anger. Either seeing that upset him because of something bad that he's got hiding in his past (as in, he might actually be interested in/sympathetic to Yuri so his anger was about something related to what he saw but not at Yuri himself) or it upset him in a way that made him decide to use Yuri to pull himself out of whatever problem he's created lately.

It's pretty obvious Viktor is gonna hurt Yuri down the line, but I doubt it's gonna be that level of intentional or because he has skeletons in his closet. The show's already made clear that Viktor's in it to surprise the audience and once he succeeded at that he pretty much immediately grows bored with a routine and move on, and the biggest failure of last season suddenly being on Viktor's level or even surpassing him would be a huge surprise.

It'd be in line with the show telling that story of a playboy seducing the most beautiful woman in town, then immediately ditching while identifying Viktor with the playboy and Yuri with the woman. Hell, that's effectively what happened to Yurio this episode already.

Edit: As far as the show doubling down on the gay romance or having it remain subtextual or even copping out, I'm tentatively optimistic so far but I'm also not gonna be surprised if it ultimately goes nowhere and remains "just" fanservice. I'm gonna be super disappointed if that happens, though.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 22, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Knowing literally nothing about figure-skating, I really appreciate that blog entry for explaining the difficulty of the moves involved. It's so easy for a layman like me to forget this is a real, intensive sport when the pros make it look nearly effortless.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i'm glad Yuri finally knows what love is, and is stronger for it

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

If I believe strongly enough that they will kiss then they absolutely will.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Coming next episode everything is gonna be significantly more international anyway so we can just reasonably assume everyone speaks English instead.

It's probably more likely that Yuri and his pal from Thailand both know English than each other's mother tongues at least.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Chris may be a gross boy but i did enjoy that his number was a series of butt close-ups

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

If I believe strongly enough that they will kiss then they absolutely will.

See, it worked.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Still rootin' for my boy Phichit to make it into the Grand Prix Final.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

JJ's act of redemption is getting Yuri and Viktor Canadian citizenship so they can get legally married.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Speaking of, I loved JJ being all "I'm dancing FOR CANADA" in his internal monologue.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Alder posted:

I still think Viktor is leaving Yuri because he needs to find his own motivation for ice skating. Also, Viktor has to go back to Russia eventually and decide if he wants to retire or not.

This is kinda the beautiful part of the show, especially with how it has this theme of viewing people through a social media lens as others have mentioned. We only see Viktor and Yuri at their most public during competition, while the many months between when they spend time together alone between competitions off camera are literally skipped over. Additionally, we spent a lot of time with other characters discussing what Viktor gets out of the coach deal, what he'll do afterwards, what they want Viktor to do etc, but only glimpses of Viktor himself wants.

So what I'm saying is just because we're not shown Viktor's motivation and wants are doesn't mean he himself doesn't know what they are, and what he wants and motivates him is Yuri.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Remember when everyone was keeping their hopes in check, fearing the whole thing would stay on the level of teasing and never actually go anywhere?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Celery Jello posted:

I want to know two things:

1) Why does Chris make duck face all the time
2) Why is Chris' dub VO so fuckin' weird

those are two things i love most about Chris

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Miss Nomer posted:

What is the final outcome we are all thinking is going to happen?

I kinda feel Yuri's gonna make it to the podium but not actually win gold just so Viktor can vow his undying love to him and get hitched anyway. JJ will win gold because he's JJ and while i want my boy Phichit to bring home a medal Chris is probably a more likely podium candidate.

In fact, keep all the youngins off the podium so a potential second season can have a PoV change and follow one of them this time. Or go hogwild with a season on women's figure skating following Sara Sala Sara and Yurio's rink mate whose name escapes me.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

CherryCat posted:

Wow, not gonna lie but JJ's performance made me tear up, poor dude.

Same, I can't believe JJ!! On ICE is going to end in tragedy.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's cool, dude, JJ didn't fall a single time.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Gibbering posted:

I feel... a little bit cockblocked?

Yeah I feel kinda disappointed by the ending if I'm being honest here. Like, it feels like a chunk was just excised so they can add a sequel hook, which felt a bit cheap after all the "we're getting too old for figure skating while the next generation is surpassing us, this is my final season" talk somehow?

It felt like one big anti-climax

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

On the other hand JJ has a fiancé while Yuri and Viktor have good luck charms. You can be indirect about it but it does feel kinda unequal.

Ultimately you don't absolutely need a kiss or an I-love-you, and had the show stuck with both of them retiring and then just showed them together anyway that would be clear enough, but instead we get this weird bit where Viktor returns to being a skater but also decides to keep up his coach/skater relationship with Yuri?

Basically it kinda ends up feeling like being coach and skater are all they have and it feels super weird and off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

cut the middle man and just make a slice of life show set in Nichome imo

• Locked thread