Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I kind of feel like the two Yuris getting together is more likely than Japanese Yuri and Viktor, if anyone gets together with anyone, but the promo material sure has been teasing the latter pairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Russian Yuri is 15 so i doubt it

Good point. I think it's that kinda-parental role Viktor has for both of them that makes me think they're closer in age than they are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I guess that the two arcs are for Yuri to learn to be a kid, and for Yuuri to learn to be an adult?

One think I liked in the direction of the two performances was how they used all that enthusiastic technical commentary to drain Yuri's Agape of its soul, while they mostly let Yuuri's Eros speak for itself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Call them Yuri and Yurio instead of whatever you just called them please

Yuuri is the most accurate romanisation of the Japanese one's name, AFAIK.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well now, this is interesting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

You'd be surprised. I've found a number of reviewers who are sticking with "Boy, Yuri sure loves his katsudon."

... I think I kind of want a link now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terper posted:

Viktor's gonna get hit by a truck.

A truck called... romance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

americong posted:

I kinda would have preferred if yuri and yurio were similar in age, and the romance evolved between them with mentorship coming from viktor

my poor cutlet bowl is gonna get hurt by the authority figure

Yeah, we got us a wildly unequal pairing here, and Viktor in particular is going to have to put a lot of effort in for this to have a shot st ending happily.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

In Training posted:

It would be cool if there was graphic anal sex in the rink.

Sounds like it could get uncomfortably chilly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sir5000/status/791782818737037312

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This was sort of interesting because it reinforced a particular nuance to this show's storytelling - we're viewing everything at a distance, as if through the eyes of a social media network that's incredibly pervasive but never quite catches everything. We didn't see the kiss itself, we didn't see how their conversation in the garage ended, and, most importantly, we didn't see when their relationship started - because this episode made it clear that they've been together for a while, and Viktor just took it a lot more public than it already was. There's something very deliberately voyeuristic about this show, and we should remember that a voyeur only gets a tiny peek through the keyhole.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Have they? It seems to me that this was a new thing, based on how Victor says 'I had to find a way to surprise you more than you just surprised me.'

Yeah, Georgi isn't an unsympathetic character, but I have to agree that his ex-girlfriend is probably better off leaving that drama train behind.

They have been really comfortable and touchy-freely with each other for quite a while now, and that conversation in the carpark very much felt like Viktor was quietly freaking out about how their physical intimacy hadn't helped with their emotional intimacy enough for him to know how to make his boyfriend feel better. As in, 'I know you like kisses, will that help here? Because I am seriously out of my depth in all this'. The other skaters also seem to be responding to them very much like they know they're already a couple. There was also how little follow-through there was after the initial shock - it felt less like 'holy poo poo Yuuri Katsuki and Viktor Nikiforov are an item' and more like 'holy poo poo he finished that incredible performance off with a smooch from his boyfriend'. Basically, there's just this general aura of comfort and familiarity to all of this that makes it feel like this is not where these two became a couple.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

That's all internal monologue so all he's doing is being sad about his breakup while skating which is pretty funny and I would have left him too but doesn't make him a terrible person or anything

His ex is right there, and is a skater herself so she understands the language he's speaking - and he's not being shy about explaining it to anyone who listens, judging by how the entire rest of the cast gets what he's doing. This isn't just someone drawing angry doodles in their diary, this is a major artist making his next public piece of art about how his ex-girlfriend is a piece of poo poo but it's OK because he forgives her, and then premiering it right in front of her.

What he's doing is pretty enormously lovely, and he's only a fun character because his giant manchild tantrum is being played for all the cringe comedy it can be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blue Nation posted:

Some japanese bloggers have stated that the whole censorship issue is bullshit, the show didn't make the kiss explicit because they chose to do it that way, rather than being obligated by law. Either way, with how the scene was framed I can't believe people doubt they did kiss.

And I suspect they did it that way as part of a pattern of having much of the most important stuff in this show being what we don't see. Even the media-saturated life of a celebrity still has its moments of privacy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the dude is doing an ice skating equivalent of a taylor swift song, it's not that bad.

Counterpoint - everyone else completely getting what he's trying to do.

It's not funny because he means well, it's funny because he's clearly trying to hurt her and is using the lamest, most pathetic possible way to do it. It's like trying to do an honour killing with a banana, or an an acid attack with half a lemon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Whoo-ee, the straights really aren't OK.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gibbering posted:

I tuned in just in time to hear a commentator call Yuzuru Hanyu "as agile as a freshly born kitten".

What have I been missing out on all my life.

Have... have they never seen a newborn kitten before? Is that just some kind of subtle insult?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

devtesla posted:

what the gently caress, this is absolutely not that kind of show.

Wasn't one of the translation things people were talking about that Yuuri's narration always refers to Viktor in the past tense? Was that actually a thing?

Like, it'd be great if we get a happily-ever-after ending here, but that conversation at the airport where they vowed to be together forever did kind of feel a little like a couple skipping through a field to the strains of 'So Happy Together' just before the start of the third act.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

If you look really carefully Georgi won too.

Well, we never did see how that dinner ended up...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

https://twitter.com/kubo_3260/status/806843079244201985

"People in the real world can think of YOI as they will, but in YOI's world, there's no such thing as discrimination for loving something"
"I will most certainly defend this world, and this world alone"

An interesting thread on that - click on the link to see everything:

https://twitter.com/good_haro/status/806863833256038400

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kind of reminds me of Lyrical Nanoha all over again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

wasn't gonna happen, even in the 2am timeslot, I think. At least not in 2016. give it a few years

I 'unno, it's not exactly unheard of for anime to include gay couples locking lips onscreen, even when gay romance is not the core premise. No.6, From The New World, and Bodacious Space Pirates come to mind. I mean, yeah, all of those are sci-fi, but is that really that huge a gap in anime? BSP is especially striking - it just seems odd to me that the gay couple in the mild, charmingly bland show about fantasy space physics and fantasy space business management would share more explicit, on-screen romantic affection than the main gay couple in the thirsty, passionate show about thirsty, passionate ice-skaters.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 23, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

I wanted an on screen kiss between Yuri and Victor, but I also understand why the creators didn't do it. Kubo is a huge fan of gay stuff so the kiss didn't happen not because of trying to just have the show as bait but rather that they are the main couple and ambiguity sells and keeps people hooked in. They are wearing their rings at the end, so they are still together but who knows if they are still coach/student or competitors (or both? Turns out you can do both in America; not sure what the rules are for Russia). The story of Yuri and Victor felt incomplete because it is. There's very few manga/anime where the mains get together and have a clear relationship in the mid point of the story. The only one coming to my mind is "Jitsu wa Watashi...".
I get why a lot of people wanted to see a kiss and are upset that it didn't happen. YOI felt really fresh for how they treated gay characters and romance. I'm hooked for season 2 and I hope that we get some OVAs to tide us over for however long it takes to get season 2.

Something else that's drat adorable if true (it's hard to tell), it looks like Yurio is wearing Otabek's scarf in the last scene.

There's also My Love Story (Ore Monogatari), Girl Friends, and Lovely Complex. In fact, the main couple in My Love Story get together in the very first few episodes, and the main thrust of the show is about them negotiating the various challenges of their relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm more interested in hearing about the degree to which the Bluray animation is touched up.

In dramatic but disappointing ways, apparently.

https://twitter.com/hiyor_my/status/868047888034680834

• Locked thread