Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Also you gotta remember that she's two years older than him. That doesn't matter much when you're older, but he's been gone since he was what, 18? 19?

My favorite so far is younger Yuri.

Also, glad this show isn't in the vein of absolute beginner becomes world's best. He's been skating his whole life and was already on an international level, so that's not super crazy.

Character design of his sister was super cool, and I hope we see more of her 8)

And while I want this to be an actual BL thing where the boys actually kiss, I'm also ok with it being Free! on ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

How old is Viktor supposed to be?

And a nine year age gap isn't the worst I've seen, but I'd be 100% more comfortable with adults.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Agreed, it took me a second to realize that's what it was, and then I was like oh nice, Instagram, it's so ingrained in me that I forgot it's weird to see it in this context

A very good choice for ED imo.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

The details in the background are incredible. Even things like.. When Victor is moving into the room, his dog (wtf is the dogs name) is digging at the ground behind him. It's a little detail, but it's real & cute. And when he's doling out the music assignments, there's a little tissue holder behind him in the shape of Vicchan/his dog. So cute!!

Yurio is also great and a big dork. They're kind of all big dorks.

And I kinda love the Instagram stuff, but I also like Instagram a lot.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Man I thought the Viktor/Yuri kinda tender scene would end up to be a joke or a cop out when i saw the promo stuff, but that was actually like... really hot.

Looking forward to more gayness and will also cry if they cop out.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

In Training posted:

I think someone mentioned it before but it sucks how bad the song is in the OP because I quite like the animation in it

I really like the song v:shobon:v

Maera Sior posted:

I would actually summarize it as "Yuri has problems tapping into his sexuality and realizes that the heterosexual masculine role isn't for him."

If that isn't queer I don't know what is.

Is there any discussion on this from a Japanese perspective? I know we would consider it a really good indication of "he is queer, this is proof" but are the writers meaning it that way? I'm interested to know.

americong posted:

I kinda would have preferred if yuri and yurio were similar in age, and the romance evolved between them with mentorship coming from viktor

my poor cutlet bowl is gonna get hurt by the authority figure

:smith: the playboy is going to toss him aside and move onto the next town

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

I enjoyed this episode a lot but I feel like the animation was definitely a bit rough. I don't know if that's because of the vers Crunchyroll gets, though.

Also that Yuzuru-esque tissue box cover is the cutest goddamn thing.

Yuuri's evolution has been neat to watch. In the first episode, he called himself a dime a dozen skater in JSF, and in this one, he referred to himself as one of the top skaters. So gj Yuuri, gaining some confidence.

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 2, 2016

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

dogsicle posted:

georgi was also entertaining to watch, but drat his whole look was godawful.

That was the point though wasn't it?

I loved Mila's commentary on it.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

this will help you get it

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gj Phichit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Poor Georgi. But yay for Georgi's ex and her happiness!

And yaaaaaay Yuri and Victor :)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

And from the scenes with Mila, it seems like everyone in their ice skating circle knows about it. It's very public!

That's kinda mortifying, and I feel bad for her.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Miss Nomer posted:

I love how crazy Evgenia went for this episode :allears: Reading her tweets is a joy.

Evgenia is just ridiculously cute. :allears:

Also glad for fanart for this show. My phone is like bursting full of pix.

http://nijuukoo.tumblr.com/post/153333370972/what-started-off-as-a-doodle-ended-up-with-me-not

The_Doctor posted:

The skating stories seemed to emulate other amines. Guang Long's looked very Cowboy Bebop, while Georgi's was super JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (his costume in ep6 screamed JoJo) with its colours and angles.

My boyfriend and I binged the first 4 episodes together when that was all there was, and now we watch it every week and love every moment. I have to deal with the fact that he now says that Phichit is his other boyfriend.

I've booked us tickets to go ice skating together in December. :allears:

Nice! My husband and I watch them together now, but I have to admit... I watch each episode at least twice. :blush:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Ahahahhahaha that was the most masturbatory sequence I've ever seen (jj's program) even tho Chris literally came while skating

Yuri & his grandfather were the cutest part of the episode.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Maera Sior posted:

The NHK is over and the GPF lineup is in. It's almost the same as last year: Fernandez, Chan, Hanyu, Uno, Chen, and Rippon.

I'll do a massive link dump when I get home and get a chance to search through everything.

Yesssss, please! I'm not super knowledgeable about figure skating, but I caught the free skates live and really enjoyed it.

Tanaka Keiji & Nathan Chen's FSs were also very, very good. I really recommend watching them! Deniss Vasiljevs too!

I was rooting for my boy Jason Brown because he's such a huge dork and a really lyrical skater, but unfortunately he didn't do so well. But even then, he was hugely gracious after his skate!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Mezamero & Blau678 are like, next level when it comes to Yuri on Ice fanart.

This is my favorite birthday one:
https://twitter.com/agikun/status/803254634076770304

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

I'm hoping that round and gold thing isn't just a medal

I am SO EXCITED for more fanart tbqh

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Alder posted:

I still think Viktor is leaving Yuri because he needs to find his own motivation for ice skating. Also, Viktor has to go back to Russia eventually and decide if he wants to retire or not.

???????
"I wish you'd never retire" = "I sure as poo poo ain't skating competitively again"

Blue Nation posted:

With the OP I'm guessing there will be an exhibition done by the 3 of them on the last episode. And then Yuuri and Victor ride into the sunset and open a figure skating school.

Pls happen

Speaking of which though, I wish we could see their exhibition skates!!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Oh my god, I've only seen the Tumblr spoilers, but I'm so loving excited

SO loving EXCITED

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

That answers so many questions about Victor and his motivations for coming.

That was lovely, and my day is tops now

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Overall I was super happy with the episode (other than Otabek getting robbed), and I am excited for a second season. The pair skating was beautiful.

I really really wanted it to be more anthology-ish with season two (like other people have mentioned) focused on another skater, or on women's skating (omg yessss), but I'm cool with continuing onto the rest of the season, too.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Celery Jello posted:

:same:

I must say that interview was disappointing. Viktor's VA seems to leave plausible deniability on the table, unless he was being sarcastic and it didn't come through.

Yeah, that was a frustrating read. But, maybe the seiyuus can't be quite as overt about it?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Oh my god it gets better the more I look at it. It has selfie sticks and it's a love story between Phichit & his phone.

I think Phichit really ended up being my favorite character in the whole show.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Source:
https://fishthatlikestuff.tumblr.com/post/154914691470/i-deserve-to-be-kicked-out-of-fandom-not-only-for

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

In case you ever wanted to buy Yuri!!! on Ice themed tea, now you can.

I just ordered several of them for my sister as a (late) Christmas present, but alas, I can't handle caffeine. But I hope she enjoys them. :)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Yakuuri OTP

http://fyyoi.tumblr.com/post/153680943579/mykatsudon-does-yakov-get-the-same-treatment-as

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

I've never really gotten much into fanfiction before, but something about this show just catapulted me into the world of reading fanfiction.

My favorite right now is a one-shot based on some tumblr alternate universe fanart.

(from http://fishontree.tumblr.com/post/155598160754/from-beanpots-beautiful-day-and-night-au)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/9267092 this is it and you should read it because it's real cute and stuff (and not particularly long).

But my other favorite one is an AU wherein young Victor tells Yuuri he's fat and they become ultra rivals instead. It's also very very good. http://archiveofourown.org/works/8748484

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

If they could all get little Phichit on Ice hats, that would be good, yes

also:
https://twitter.com/Adaripp/status/835946371324719104

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 27, 2017

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

If you slow down the video, you can see that Otabek is actually on the ice with Yuri. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (you can see it at the part where yuri throws his glasses).

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

I just want my nendoroids already :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

:swoon:

• Locked thread