Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There's always someone willing to block the gay out of their minds.

There was a guy here on Something Awful who refused to believe that Legend of Korra was hinting at a gay relationship all through S3 and S4 when people said "wow, the show sure is hinting hard at a gay relationship." And then when the show ended with the relationship as something way beyond subtext, and the creators said "yep, we were hinting hard at a gay relationship all through S3 and S4, and a gay relationship is exactly what it was" he still didn't believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Having actually had a chance to watch all three episodes now, I'd have to say that if they don't go for an actual romance, they've gone past ship-teasing and into being actually deceptive. The plot of episode three was "Yuri learns how to skate sexy after realizing that he's super-hot for Victor and learns some feminine moves to put this across on the ice."

It would be really disappointing to see them try to walk this back.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Heliophage posted:

Reminder that this is the man Victor's character is based on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHR0qjr79fQ

...wow, that really is him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yuri should probably keep his hair slicked up all the time; it suits him way better.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Xinder posted:

Yuri's precious "I want to be known as the one who stole Victor from the world" while blushing made me really happy.

I find it sort of hilarious that for all his talk about the power of love, his performance today was basically fueled by contrariness.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

devtesla posted:

JUST KEEP WATCHING. You're wrong about the first three episodes and definitely wrong about the ones you haven't watched yet. The difference between regular yaoi baiting and this show is like night and day.

Yuri's sexual awakening is pretty much what the show is all about.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

- because this episode made it clear that they've been together for a while, and Viktor just took it a lot more public than it already was.[/spoiler]

Have they? It seems to me that this was a new thing, based on how Victor says 'I had to find a way to surprise you more than you just surprised me.'

quote:

Poor Georgi. But yay for Georgi's ex and her happiness!

Yeah, Georgi isn't an unsympathetic character, but I have to agree that his ex-girlfriend is probably better off leaving that drama train behind.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Adelheid posted:

There's nothing sympathetic about some dumbass het thinking he owns a woman

He's being weird about it but ultimately all he's doing is a really complicated interpretive dance where he begs her (internally) to come back to him. Working out your complexes via art is honestly pretty healthy if it means he doesn't feel the need to actually try and get her to come back to him.

EDIT: I guess it could be kind of weird for her to show up and have him do a dance that she recognizes as being about his feelings about their breakup? I'm not sure about the ethics there.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 17, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I hope they never retire.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It went there, it did not stop from going there~

I think this is the first thing I've ever gotten into that fully committed to going there. This is like the charge I got when Homestuck first started to hint that it might go there, but it didn't actually do so.

I have been ruined, normal pretenses of representation will never satisfy me again.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Endorph posted:

i dont know how to tell you this op but plenty of things have gone there

But they weren't things I was into.

The number of reasonably popular things that have two male main characters in a relationship is pretty darn low.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Incidentally, what's the correct way to pronounce "Phitchit"?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

100 degrees Calcium posted:

So is it just my imagination or do they simply draw Yuri sexier when he's on the ice? Maybe it's the outfits, I don't know.

It's the outfits, keeping his hair out of his eyes, and taking off his dopey glasses, but mostly its the fact that Yuuri is actively performing sexuality on the ice in a way he doesn't do the rest of the time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I can't believe I'm feeling sorry for JJ. Watching his fans still love him after his fall was a really surprising move—this show's power of empathy is strong.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

devtesla posted:

It's a licensing thing, often the contract for the TV version used for streaming is handled separately from the final disk version. It's not always bundled together, but this show is big enough that it likely is.

I would hope it would happen less now that people know to avoid that particular contractual pitfall.

Not that I'm bitter over Gatchaman CROWDS not having the real ending on the English Bluray or anything.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Is Victor likely to be extremely wealthy?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"We're currently preparing this show for your device."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I really want to try these katsudon pirozhkis but it sounds really difficult.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Being yakov is suffering

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, Funimation has the rights for an American Bluray release, right? Any announcements about that?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Are there not laws about fifteen-year-olds doing that kind of dance for money?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Incidentally, does this mean some of the earlier Blurays are out? Do we have any data on what degree of animation touch-ups there were?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm more interested in hearing about the degree to which the Bluray animation is touched up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm afraid we all knew that Victor's hairline was tragically receding.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, Victor is 27. Just because he's an oldster from the point of view of professional sports doesn't mean he's not basically a fresh-faced youngster by the standards of absolutely anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly, the revised one kind of looks fine to me. I'd probably have to see it in motion to really have an opinion.

• Locked thread