Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
i liked the butt

no but seriously this was a very sweet first episode. I actually felt chilly looking at that snow. drunk lady owns bones as does the??? older sister??? person??? her design was sick

I really hope that victor gets to be Actually Gay, although even if he isn't I'll still be happy that I was pandered to for once in my life. Also the anatomy isn't hideous like free

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yurio-nice!!!!

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'm gonna be honest: I don't buy that it's going to remain on the level of fanservice. This episode essentially made the gay text, not subtext, even if they didn't actually say the word "gay". It's very, very obviously a story about sexual awakening from a gay perspective, which is incredibly cool to see. If you are terrible at metaphors you can cling to the idea of Yuri skating for katsudon, but it's there to represent his relationship with victor.

My guess is Victor is going to get his own development at some point to stop being such a tease and start paying attention to Yuri.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Gnossiennes posted:

I really like the song v:shobon:v

Is there any discussion on this from a Japanese perspective? I know we would consider it a really good indication of "he is queer, this is proof" but are the writers meaning it that way? I'm interested to know.

:smith: the playboy is going to toss him aside and move onto the next town

The song has grown on me a lot too.
Since I don't think I've seen anyone mention it in thus thread: while he's accepting his "feminine" role, he refers to himself as "atashi", a female-only pronoun often used by drag queen characters. So yeah this is absolutely 100% queer. Sayo Yamamoto is known for some pretty progressive anime.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/breecss/status/790772980955709440

hassssetsss's greaat! ahmeeenit! youushuddreiillyvist

This dub is the opposite of sexy

https://twitter.com/breecss/status/790751842305085440

LUUUUOOOSAAAAHHH

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 26, 2016

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

gay flirting

the horror!!!!!

No but seriously I can put up with straight flirting and lady tits in just about everything made nowadays. Your 30-year-old dad can put up with the incredibly tame man-rear end

Also this is like the one sports anime where the gay is NOT shoehorned in, and is instead a big part of the plot. Did you miss all of the stuff about these guys unlocking their femininity

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yuri is not going to end up with yurio because yurio is a child

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/spicaterribIe/status/805071548306653184

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
That's incredible.

I really appreciate how much work goes into this show wrt skating itself. It's really cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'm kind of curious how many fans of this show are women, and how many are men. Almost all of the people I see celebrating on twitter seem to be women

Idk. I'm a gay dude, and obviously I dont speak for all gay dudes, but stuff like that makes it hard to escape the feeling that the relationship in this show was still kind of fetishized for women, in that it was about two ~perfect cinnamon rolls~ who ~never do anything wrong~. I know a lot of people disagree with me on that one, so eh. In any case I'd like to see more queer dude stories written by queer dudes

Like YoI isnt a bad show or anything! I read that interview with johnny weir a few days ago and it's incredibly cool that he loved it. I'm glad the team put so much effort into researching figure skating

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 23, 2016

• Locked thread