Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who does updates worse
crapple
google alphabet inc
micro$oft
View Results

• Locked thread
Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
android phone's been telling me "no updates available" for years now, so I guess I'm up to date and secure

just like how my antivirus says "no viruses found" so my computer has no viruses on it. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UndoneHaddock
Oct 6, 2016
M$ update QA is unparalleled and the best and definitely didn't toast four systems mid configuration.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

windows 10 has broken hyper v twice

once with the upgrade to windows 10, it broke the networking in such a way that you had to delete the virtual switch from device manager and manually reconfigure some poo poo on the nic

the other time with the anniversary update, which straight up removes hyper v. you have to go into add remove features and readd hyper v, set up your virtual machine manually and point it to the vm hard drive

also all our project managers use surface pros, they apparently pushed out an update for their own hardware that breaks charging the battery, if it drains down you have to send the surface in lmao

so microsoft, by a mile

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
ugh I'd already seen this thread and had intended to vote "apple" just for lols but hadn't got around to it

then yesterday i went to visit my parents and mum got me to update her laptop pc because she hasn't used it in a while and i had to leave it on overnight because somehow windows 10 still has elements of that lovely "show absolutely no progress for literal hours" bug from windows 8.0, that windows version that everyone hated

i brought my laptop with me as well and left it on standby overnight and when i turned it on today somehow windows had decided to run updates without my permission and it took two hours to finish because apparently the fact i use my laptop to do important work that has deadlines doesn't matter. also when i thought it had finished i logged in and it wasted another couple of minutes on that loving "Hi

We've updated your system

Please do not turn off your computer" thing it does. and it's spammed my quick launch with links for edge and some appstore bullshit and somehow it's even broken my firefox ui a bit (pinned tabs have a little gap between them that wasn't there yesterday) and oh god i'm going to have to disable "telemetry" again aren't i

so yeah apple i guess

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

The Management posted:

does windows still do the thing where it shows you updates, you tell it to install them all, and after you reboot it shows you more updates?
yeah my mum's laptop just "finished" updating and i told it to check for more and it's already found a bunch :buddy:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
oh fuuuuuuck you microsoft you've also brought back that bullshit lockscreen ads thing that i specifically disabled because my laptop is not a loving smartphone

it's only a single extra keystroke required to unlock my computer so shouldn't be a big deal but it's emblematic of the "make simple tasks take longer for no reason" thing that made windows 8.0 a big step backwards from windows 7

e: yay i've fixed it with yet another idiotic workaround, thanks microsoft

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 7, 2016

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

jony ive aces posted:

ugh I'd already seen this thread and had intended to vote "apple" just for lols but hadn't got around to it

then yesterday i went to visit my parents and mum got me to update her laptop pc because she hasn't used it in a while and i had to leave it on overnight because somehow windows 10 still has elements of that lovely "show absolutely no progress for literal hours" bug from windows 8.0, that windows version that everyone hated

i brought my laptop with me as well and left it on standby overnight and when i turned it on today somehow windows had decided to run updates without my permission and it took two hours to finish because apparently the fact i use my laptop to do important work that has deadlines doesn't matter. also when i thought it had finished i logged in and it wasted another couple of minutes on that loving "Hi

We've updated your system

Please do not turn off your computer" thing it does. and it's spammed my quick launch with links for edge and some appstore bullshit and somehow it's even broken my firefox ui a bit (pinned tabs have a little gap between them that wasn't there yesterday) and oh god i'm going to have to disable "telemetry" again aren't i

so yeah apple i guess

"all your files are exactly where you left them"

silently deletes programs

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

i remember when googe would announce a new version of android and then it would take months for my 2012 n7 to receive it.

it was a wifi one, why did it have to take so long?

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

also the 5.0 update was the one that bricked my n7. google/asus pretty much told me to buy another one.

google rick james'd my tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Origin posted:

i remember when googe would announce a new version of android and then it would take months for my 2012 n7 to receive it.

it was a wifi one, why did it have to take so long?

those basically bricked themselves after a few years anyway

• Locked thread