Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Nothing the OP has posted indicates any sense of shame though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
His silence is all part of the strategy to make this crowdfunding a success!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
OP will never understand where he hosed up and it's a shame.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Well it's not like they hosed up just one thing, is it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Whelp, I googled it, seems like you made a rational and well informed decision.

Despite Agarest's reputation for that poo poo in reality there's only about 9 or so of these sorts of CGs in like an 80 hour game.

No the real reason it sucks is because it's filled to the brim with needlessly obtuse mechanics, a crafting system from hell, an incredible grind unless you know exactly what you're doing and a story that requires you to make the exact right choices across the entire experience to get the true ending. There is no margin of error and if you gently caress up well enjoy New Game +

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It can't even do anime right

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Yeah, these guys just ported them to phones. They seem to have only made pool games and iPhone apps like "pocket snow globe"

Lol, this thread just keeps getting better and better.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SSNeoman posted:

Despite Agarest's reputation for that poo poo in reality there's only about 9 or so of these sorts of CGs in like an 80 hour game.

No the real reason it sucks is because it's filled to the brim with needlessly obtuse mechanics, a crafting system from hell, an incredible grind unless you know exactly what you're doing and a story that requires you to make the exact right choices across the entire experience to get the true ending. There is no margin of error and if you gently caress up well enjoy New Game +

Agarest is like the platonic ideal of tedium distilled down and somehow molded into game form.

One of the later ones is a bit more fun in combat but the game as a whole is still tedious as all hell.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

If this thread serves to have someone, anyone, even just one person at that company stop when they are walking to their desk in the morning, truly looking around them for the first time and legitimately ask the question, "What the gently caress are we doing?", then we have done a small amount of good in this world.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Levantine posted:

Agarest is like the platonic ideal of tedium distilled down and somehow molded into game form.

One of the later ones is a bit more fun in combat but the game as a whole is still tedious as all hell.
Yeah, masturbation gets dull when stretched over 100 hours.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

That's a hell of a j/o session

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

SSNeoman posted:

I picked up Agarest zero when it was on sale on steam last and someone told me it was 'the playable one'. After a little time being very confused I hit google to try and make sense of it. There are 3 page spreadsheets for this poo poo, not the usual guide or walkthrough, a real colour coded spreadsheet which gives the one and only way to win. Unsurprisingly I lost interest at that point but it was too late for a refund.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I remember when HG101 made fun of the game in this article:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kusoge/kusoge-agarest.htm

In all honesty I'm surprised more people don't get pissed off about the apparently blatant false advertising, all the people who bought it to play around with sexy anime girls must have felt completely robbed.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sting? Is that you?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ratzap posted:

I picked up Agarest zero when it was on sale on steam last and someone told me it was 'the playable one'. After a little time being very confused I hit google to try and make sense of it. There are 3 page spreadsheets for this poo poo, not the usual guide or walkthrough, a real colour coded spreadsheet which gives the one and only way to win. Unsurprisingly I lost interest at that point but it was too late for a refund.

You could probably still get a refund, steam is pretty lenient.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
26 December 2016 - $717 USD raised by 19 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

28 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

31 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

3 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

Increase in amount raised since the last update - 0

Increase in number of backers since the last update - 0

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Anticheese posted:

Sting? Is that you?

Sting doesn't masturbate for 100 hours, he bangs ladies for 100 hours.

E: well I guess he night also jack off for 100 hours too but I feel it's important to mention the lady part

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 3, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that horse plays the sax for 100 hours, a truer and more pure pleasure than you will ever know

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

that horse plays the sax for 100 hours, a truer and more pure pleasure than you will ever know

the sax horse has almost assuredly made more money over the ages than this AAA crowdfunding campaign

(all the A's stand for anime btw)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lightweight. :circlefap:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Could they have actually made a successful kickstarter if they spent more time on showing off the game instead of wandering to forums posting interest checks?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

No guillotines, what do you think?:colbert:

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Golden Goat posted:

Could they have actually made a successful kickstarter if they spent more time on showing off the game instead of wandering to forums posting interest checks?

What game are you talking about here?? Anime Tavern Simulator 2017???

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

The funny thing is that if you look for thermidor on google you'll notice that they were laughed out of everywhere they posted about this game

And yet, they released the crowdfunding campaign.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

nerdz posted:

The funny thing is that if you look for thermidor on google you'll notice that they were laughed out of everywhere they posted about this game

Yeah I saw that and noticed we were the only ones to talk to them

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

nerdz posted:

I know what I'm reading for comedy now.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah I saw that and noticed we were the only ones to talk to them

Obviously that's because we're pretty mentally ill ourselves

Nevertheless I await guillotine breeding with much anticipation and fervor

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The real tragedy is that gamers have been waiting forever for an anime JRPG about the French Revolution with guillotines. We're never even going to get one without guillotines. Will we have to settle for a French Revolution game that's either not a JRPG or not anime as gently caress? Sad!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'll create a game based on France's age of enlightenment where you shoot logic and facts to take down the brittle and unstable constructs of religion

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm honestly surprised how long the thread kept the joke going. I thought someone was going to nuts on them at any minute. I'm glad it waited until the campaign started.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

pixaal posted:

I'm honestly surprised how long the thread kept the joke going. I thought someone was going to nuts on them at any minute. I'm glad it waited until the campaign started.

He was just so gullible though. Any normal person could have seen the signs.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I liked the idea that some sound/bgm jabroni was seriously here to collect ideas that would definitely go into this game they were making

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnP_apeb6Pg

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

randombattle posted:

He was just so gullible though. Any normal person could have seen the signs.

I like to think the cultural gap was just too wide for the small but humble team behind Thermidor The Juicy Screenshot.

Then it became entirely too obvious that they were way over their head when they resorted to "that's what you are but what am i??" level of discourse.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love how they kept lying way past the point they could actually do it.

before the indiegogo campaign:

"This is just a teaser, all the content we will release in the campaign will blow you away, JUICY SCREENIES etc."

Then they release the campaign with exactly all the same content they had and nothing more.

"That is a lot of content already! Can you do better UH?"

I'm not rooting for their failure, but this project reeks of desperation, kinda like a hail mary to keep their company running (which failed)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

nerdz posted:

I love how they kept lying way past the point they could actually do it.

before the indiegogo campaign:

"This is just a teaser, all the content we will release in the campaign will blow you away, JUICY SCREENIES etc."

Then they release the campaign with exactly all the same content they had and nothing more.

"That is a lot of content already! Can you do better UH?"

I'm not rooting for their failure, but this project reeks of desperation, kinda like a hail mary to keep their company running (which failed)

thing is their crowdfunding page sucks but I've seen other terrible-looking projects do well at crowdfunding and people hurl money uncontrollably at anime garbage. Their advertising and outreach must be complete poo poo. Like why bother putting all that time in to starting a crowdfunding campaign with such an ambitious target if you're not able to spread the word.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yo hyper dev dude, I'd suggest that you keep posting here or risk having your thread unstickied.

what do you have to say about your crowd funding campaign so far? what could have been done better?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

thing is their crowdfunding page sucks but I've seen other terrible-looking projects do well at crowdfunding and people hurl money uncontrollably at anime garbage. Their advertising and outreach must be complete poo poo. Like why bother putting all that time in to starting a crowdfunding campaign with such an ambitious target if you're not able to spread the word.

That's really the key to it all. They didn't really focus on anything that they needed to succeed. They didn't go all in on the anime dating crowd. They didn't go all in on the tactical rpg. They just said a few buzzwords and tossed up character profiles that don't get you excited for the characters or interested in them. I said it before that no one cares about backgrounds and poo poo about characters they have no attachment to. It's like putting up a wikipedia page for something. No one cares and that's just not how you excite people about.

Then the second it didn't immediately catch fire he threw a tantrum and left. What a shocker that it didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I suppose this game will have the honor of joining the likes of the Demon Rush and Crimson Haze as ambitions projects that were run out of the forums in glorious fashion.

• Locked thread