Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Real talk you could at least show somebody working on a guillotine in a workshop or something. Throw us a bone here, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I'm going to non-sarcastically ask if there's generic character creation because I like that in tactics rpgs.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Despite goons dumping on you constantly you keep trucking on.

Godspeed random JRPG developers.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The cast seems pretty sparse for a tactical RPG. You only have two playable characters listed. Are you really sure you don't want to add in Andre The Giant, if only to fill out the roster better?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

hyperdevbox posted:

No and No, in both of your claims ^^

Wow wouldn't have expected such savage mod sass

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The day you change the game's name to Thermidor: Guillotine and include a guillotine party member and usable guillotine to remove unwanted characters is the day I'd pay $50 for your game...
:toxx:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This well is getting kinda dry.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This game is guillotined to be awesome. :grin:

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
this thread should end like old yeller

only with guillotines

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

:captainpop:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVTbwSxDuzM

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

My uncle works for hyperdevbox and he said they are going to be adding guillotines

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Marie and Leonce look like weird non anime mutant in an anime "kiyaaaaaa oniiiisan" world.
they've seen things man.
will there be tentacles? I like to think that tentacle rape and bukake are timeless, so I expect so.
By the way, how did this get around the "No Amine's" rule on gbs?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

How Rude posted:

Despite goons dumping on you constantly you keep trucking on.

Godspeed random JRPG developers.

:yeah:

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

staberind posted:

Marie and Leonce look like weird non anime mutant in an anime "kiyaaaaaa oniiiisan" world.
they've seen things man.
will there be tentacles? I like to think that tentacle rape and bukake are timeless, so I expect so.
By the way, how did this get around the "No Amine's" rule on gbs?

Lol! Tentacle rape! Golden epic post, good sir! I'd vote this post alone a five if I could! Seriously, you owe me a new keyboard!!

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Get this OP: Maybe you should have a guillotine in a sailor suit like sailor moon?! Will the wackiness ever stop?!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
:thermidor:

It's not working for me.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Okay, again, I will bring this up. Because it was not addressed. Because of the logic of 'guillotines were not present until this year historically'.

WHY DOES MY 18th-CENTURY MOTHER HAVE GROCERY BAGS?! THEY WERE NOT INVENTED UNTIL 1852! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_bag

This is far more ahistorical and upsetting to me than the lack of guillotines, considering you're talking about a year difference from the setting to when they were seen in actual history. It hurts my head and my heart. Please rectify this ASAP tia.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Stoves were invented in 1742 in America, and looked closer to a modern grill. That stove is also horribly inaccurate. I'm not sure of when they made their way to France, but I don't think they would have a burner which wasn't invented until the late 1800s, you used to just heat the entire top up by filling it with wood or coal.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pixaal posted:

Stoves were invented in 1742 in America, and looked closer to a modern grill. That stove is also horribly inaccurate. I'm not sure of when they made their way to France, but I don't think they would have a burner which wasn't invented until the late 1800s, you used to just heat the entire top up by filling it with wood or coal.
Also that burner looks a little like an electric burner.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

pixaal posted:

If this is true, OP has a lot to explain.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Thermidor was heavily inspired by Metal Gear & Hideo Kojima.

I have this on good authority because it was my suggestion.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dude, this type of boot fastening has been invented years later in Milan.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

hyperdevbox posted:

Léandre (main character)
He is a romanticist with the heart of an explorer.
He is a quick thinker, persuasive, and likes anything heroic or adventurous, though lazy when it comes to house chores or work.
He is also an excellent rifler, and can use a sword better than anyone his age (19).

Couple of problems with this one too!

First, his gun is far too skinny. Firearms of the time were much thicker for a large number of reasons. The most important being bore diameter, that is the width of the barrel which is determined by the width of the bullet. Bullets and the guns firing them were much fatter back then due to the use of blackpowder, which burns much less efficiently than modern smokeless gunpowder. This results in lower velocity which results in less damage. In order to give guns enough stopping power to kill a man in one shot (since reloading took a while) they had to shoot very big bullets.

The term "rifler" is not accurate as most guns in France in 1789 would have been smooth-bore. They had no rifling and as such were not rifles. But muskets. Now rifles did exist but they were significantly less common due to the spherical projectiles they shot not benefiting very much from being shot from rifled barrels as well as machining techniques were much less developed in the 18th century so making a rifled barrel was prohibitively expensive.

Finally his description says that he's both good with swords and with guns. While such a dual proficiency is not uncommon in real life, for a JRPG having a character use two very different types of weapons doesn't really make much sense. In Chrono Trigger for instance, Lucca could only equip guns and Marle could only use bows. Sure there are exceptions to this rule, but with the other party member being a dedicated swordsman, it seems to me that it would make more sense for Leandre to focus on guns and have her focus on swords. Instead of having one guy use swords and another get to also use guns.

I hope you and the rest you are dev team take these into consideration.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Nothing about this adds up at all!!

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

I can't wait to sex all of these hip characters

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

this is a stickup posted:

I can't wait to sex all of these hip characters

It is curious however that he is bringing home groceries in a wooden box which would have certainly been available. But his wife has paper bags? It's just a little inconsistent, is all.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also frying pans like the one on the right haven't been invented until late XIXth century when cooking stoves became popular.

Seriously what's even the point of setting your game in a particular historical year if you're going to basically piss all over the time period, have dozens of glaring mistakes in every single character (every second piece of clothing on your characters is wrong) but then be all smug about not having guillotines because they weren't invented until a year later.

You're already ignorant about everything else, you obviously don't have resources to actually research the subject properly and your artists don't give a poo poo about history and just draw whatever they feel like looks old enough but ooooh boy let us tell gamers how hardcore we are about guillotine history :smuggo:.

Either be actually historically accurate or admit you're putting things into your game that look cool but may be taken from later time periods in which case you should put guillotines into your game.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 11, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Palpek posted:

Also frying pans like the one on the right haven't been invented until late XIXth century when cooking stoves became popular.

excuse me, that's just an anime gag, and the french invented anime it's literally their word

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
#NotMyRevolutionaryFranceJRPG

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

*rides into the room on a new mini Segway while holding a freshly released Do4m gamebox and with a "make America great again" cap on his head* Hello fellow kids, welcome to this historically accurate depiction of 2005 - a year before Twitter went live.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm so happy this caught on.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Hey dev I bet you won't get to my question in a while from dealing with all the guillotine questions but when you have a moment I have a couple of questions about the design philosophy:

First, this is a game about "France" but as you rightly said all of the characters are from Japan. How do you preserve the national style of revolutionary France with Japanese characters? Secondly all the screen shots are in English. Not sure if this is a mistake-surely they will be alternately in French and Japanese (kanji), right? Is that part of the polish that you mentioned the game is lacking?

Finally I have a question about game content so ignore it if you don't want to give away spoilers, but can you live in Benjamin Franklin's house? Maybe through in-game purchase or DLC if you haven't done it yet, just a thought!

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Sorely disappointed. I was expecting this to be an RPG with high-end kitchen appliances as the main characters

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

alarumklok posted:

Sorely disappointed. I was expecting this to be an RPG with high-end kitchen appliances as the main characters

You can't cook with a guillotine though? :confused:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Anticheese posted:

I use mine to cut all my fruit and veg. Am I doing it wrong? :ohdear:

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Anticheese posted:

There are no guillotines, no built in ranges, no gas cooktops. This is literally a slap in the face

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anticheese posted:

Of course you can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
wanna play that Brave Little Toaster rpg

• Locked thread