Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey guys I think I found some leaked alpha testing footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_ryBUMimA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What type of fencing are we talking here? Oldschool cut-and-thrust rapier, smallsword thrust-only stuff, or the perennial military sabre? Armandine has very skinny legs for someone who's supposed to be an expert fencer and similarly, she should really be wearing baggier breeches otherwise she'll have a hard time moving and fighting properly.

Also how are you handing damage in combat? Typically all the weapons discussed so far (including guillotines) would kill or incapacitate in a single hit.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey, I just really like fencing, and realistic depictions of women in fiction. Plus given that this is a real-world rather than a fantasy setting (right?) I genuinely want to know if there is any concession made to this in terms of the combat system, or whether you're going with the tried and true "get shot in the face and run through six times but don't give no fucks because I still have 53HP left". I know realism has probably got to be given the chop in favour of the game actually being fun to play, but, hey, if you have any interesting spins on JRPG combat then inquiring minds want to know.
On a related note, will you buck centuries of JRPG tradition and have guns that are more damaging than swords?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Seriously, though, you do need to think a little about the proportions and attire on your character who is supposed to be a very good fencer. I appreciate that she's wearing a top with sleeves that let her move her arms freely - but nobody, nobody is going to win a fight wearing dress pants that are so skinny, you just can't move wearing poo poo like that. I'm not saying she needs to be wearing military fatigues and have chun-li style thunder thighs, but anyone who fences even at a local club level is going to have bigger legs than her current artwork. Maybe some breeches and thick socks would be better, as is standard attire for even modern fencers?
For reference, here's a picture of one of the glorious French sabre team (Charlotte Lembach) attempting to take the arm off a Russian.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 27, 2016

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So even if game development has stopped (what the gently caress? In all seriousness, this is a big red flag that will put people off funding the project), I am still wanting to know if there is any move to having a slightly more realistic depiction of the female fencing-champion character.
While we wait, here's a top-level Frenchwoman squaring off against one of the Brazilians earlier this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3sthsQ7tro&t=786s
Note: pants they can actually move about in (instead of skinny hipster dress slacks) and leg muscles that look like they actually train in some kind of athletic discipline. As you can see neither of them are exactly Andre the Giant. Come on, why not have a marginally more realistic and dare I say feminist waifu character? The French republic was supposed to be a forward-thinking society: liberté, égalité and all that.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Kelp Me! posted:

Btw if anybody is curious I'm the anonymous backer that pledged $300. It's definitely not one of the developers' moms.

why

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So, given that this is a tactical rpg, I imagine that the majority of the gameplay is the battle system. Can you tell us about how it works? I didn't see a good description of the actual game mechanics on your website.

How does the turn system work? Is it just "spend action points until they're gone", or can you leave some in reserve to counterattack or parry an enemy attack Does moving on the same turn as attacking give you an accuracy penalty? Can the enemy interrupt your turn and if so, how? Is there armour and if so does it do damage reduction, to-hit reduction, both, or something else? Given the "realistic" historical setting, why would I ever want to use a sword instead of a gun?

I know there must be something interesting going on as there is a sketch showing the player character flanking an enemy, but it is not at all clear as to how it works.

This is the kind of thing everyone means by gameplay. Specifically, we are interested to know some details on the game mechanics. Otherwise we do not have a good indication as to whether your game will actually be fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

hyperdevbox posted:

The battle system is a regular turn base system so player have a certain amount of action point that you can use to do certain action, should it be for moving your character, do an attack, use an item etc...., during the moving phase of your character, you do select by point and click the full path that your character will follow unlike most of jrpgs where only the destination grid-square is important and not the path itself. In thermidor as you will be building your path, our “Dynamic Awareness System” will analyze in realtime the most dangerous grid square, on your path, where you can potentially be seen and interrupted by one or many surrounding enemies based on their faculty to be aware of what is happening in the game field, enemies who will then, based on the resolution formula, initiate, or not, an action break attack on your character as you are moving on your path, the probability to be detected will be displayed to the player as a probability percentage before the validation of the path, so you will be able to try and experiment different scenario. As any other jrpgs, Thermidor will have items, like armors, weapons and others that will of course affect your hit damage, your health, your strength, your speed and also help you to make your enemies "less aware" of your presence. One of the specificity of Thermidor is that weapons (and so skills attached to a weapon) are not dedicated to a character but all characters can develop the ability to use a certain weapon by practicing it, finally, one character after receiving a big hit damage for example, could drop his current weapon in the game field (you will be able also to give your weapon to another member of your party who has more ability with that weapon to do a better accurate attack). While any weapon (or any dropped item) is on the game field, any characters (or enemies) could decide to pick it up and use it, eventually against you. To answer why would you like to use a sword against a gun..well if you have a better experience practicing the sword then you can do greater damage than using a gun but you will need to be closer, also, sword can do multiple hit based on your speed, while gun/riffle will just shoot 1 bullet (but you can shoot from a greater distance), however the greater the distance, the less accurate your shoot will be.
Hope this can bring more details about the unique battle system behind Thermidor ^^

Thanks for answering my questions. Can you post a video or a series of screenshots showing this in action?

• Locked thread