Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
:derp::derp:Our Indiegogo campaign is now live!:derp::derp:

https://igg.me/at/thermidor
PM me for a secret perk that includes the game combo (mobile & pc), the OST, a PDF artbook, fast-track game access, and more, for a 60% discount.

hyperdevbox fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

credburn posted:

Very nice^^

Thank you!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

lalaland posted:

What's your character artist's deviantart

I don't think she has one.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you for pointing out the mistakes!
Here are the fixed screenshots ^^

http://hyperdevbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/screenshot-1EN.jpg
http://hyperdevbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/screenshot-2EN.jpg
http://hyperdevbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/screenshot-3EN.jpg
http://hyperdevbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/screenshot-4EN.jpg
http://hyperdevbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/screenshot-5EN.jpg

Also, we are giving away a nice framed picture of one of Thermidor's characters, signed by all the staff members at HyperDevbox Japan.
If you go to one of the social networks we use, you'll find some quizzes there about the game, and if you get the most correct answers you win the picture!

https://www.facebook.com/thermidor1789/
https://twitter.com/thermidor1789
https://www.instagram.com/thermidor1789_en/?hl=en

Cheers!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you for all the comments, and I apologize for not replying earlier.

To all the comments about the screenshots, I'd like to remind you that Thermidor is in early development! We are working hard on the most important aspects of the game, which include the game play and story. Polishing the graphics and fixing (one pixel) alignment problems will be taken care of soon, but is not of our main concern at the moment, but before releasing the game all the material will be sent to the QA department...

Man Whore posted:

Just so you know OP, the uniform of French soldiers at the time was white.

Those are not French soldiers! But rather the king's guards, which were actually Swiss.

Thermidor is not exactly a historical game. It takes place in France at the beginning of the French Revolution, and there will be some depictions of historical figures and landscapes, and perhaps some connections to historical events, but it will largely be fiction. Though there will be no "lobster men" or anything related to lobsters for that matter, but if you back this game generously, we might invite you to dinner with us, and lobster will definitely be an option (:

Defiance Industries posted:

What mod did you bribe to get this stickied

MageMage posted:

Why is this stickied and who are you op

I don't know why this post was stickied, but I am grateful for that.
We are very passionate about creating and finishing Thermidor, and we want this game to be enjoyed by many people all over the world.
So your support is important to us, and just by sharing/commenting etc', you are helping the cause!
So making this post sticky is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. A big Thank you to the mod!
My name is Ron J. Ward, and I'm the composer and sound designer for Thermidor (:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

OP please make this the opening theme to your soon-to-be-legendary French Revolution JRPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnP_apeb6Pg

That was INSANE! guillotiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!
But seriously, there will be no guillotines in the game...
The game takes place in the year 1789, and they haven't been used yet (as far as I know).
the guillotines were largely used during the "period of terror" from 1793~94.

lalaland posted:

Will there be a sewer level?

There might be. But we are definitely looking in to implementing the dark underworld of the Paris Catacombs.

tote up a bags posted:

OP DO YOU HAVE PLANS TO DO DLC BECause I love rpgs and want one about feudal Japan to be made

There are no plans for DLCs at the moment. The released game will be fully playable with no crappy IAP or whatnot. To quote our CEO - "games should be play to win, not pay to win".
But it is possible that in the future we will provide extra missions/quests. This entirely depends on the success of the game.

Baller Time posted:

What political and sociological messages are you planning to incorporate in the story?

Love, peace and equality.
No matter where you are from, how rich or poor you are, we all live in the same world.
Also, we are not trying to take any sides in this historical era. There was good and evil on both sides...

That's it!
Thanks again for all the comments (even the silly ones).
I will be here for a few more hours, and then checking this thread again on Monday. So feel free to ask/comment as much as you like!
You can also contact us on our website , or on all the social networks mentioned in my last comment.

Cheers!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I feel like you're missing the point Ron.

Which is?

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
By the way, we are giving away a framed picture of one of Thermidor's characters, signed by the staff!

All you have to do is participate in our daily quizzes about the game's characters, and try to get the most correct answers!
Most of the quizzes are pretty easy, but some are for the more sharp eyed geeks out there ^^

You can find them here:
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
HyperDevbox website

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

tote up a bags posted:

Your CEO is a smart man... with a vision for the future of gaming

Are you being sarcastic? it's hard to tell...
Unfortunately, it looks like the future of gaming is moving more and more in the directions of IAPs and DLCs that if you don't buy and download, you can't finish the game. And this, of course, totally sucks.
But then again, the gaming community is pretty much divided in to two types of people - the addicts/passer timers, and the passionate gamers. Real games made by proper developers are made to be played by the latter.
Paying 10 or 20 dollars for a game, and properly enjoying it for countless hours is WAY more fun and satisfying, if you ask me.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

luv 2 date boys posted:

does it come with the andriod bobbleheads or nah

Sorry, no... ^^

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

"it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes it goes YAH!" is gonna be stuck in my head for a few good hours now... thank you.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

luv 2 date boys posted:

your ceo sounds like he's in it FOR THE GAME and to not ever make a profit for any company he ever works for.

seems reasonable.

Again, the sarcasm is confusing me here...
HyperDevbox Japan has released several games under this "moto", and it has proven to be very successful.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=hyperdevbox&hl=en

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

this is a stickup posted:

mr ward, would you kindly post some of your other compositions? work on other sound tracks or otherwise, I'm sure we're all curious

Sure!
I've written music for about 20 games or so, but the best ones have been for HyperDevbox!
ExZeus 2, Indy 500 Arcade Racing, and Matchiiz.

You can listen to some of my music on my website here.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Will there be even a single black person in this game OP?

Hopefully, yes.

Zohar posted:

Why is it called Thermidor if it's not set in the jacobin phase

The Jacobin club was found in 1789, which is when the revolution started, and where the game starts.
Thermidor is hopefully going to be a series, spanning through the French Revolution, so it's also relative to the continuation of the storyline.
Plus, its a cool name ^^

Khorne posted:

To be fair, this is kind of a novel idea and game. If you guys pull off the gameplay it will definitely have a niche following.

No one cares about grammar and spelling mistakes or a one pixel off A if the gameplay and story are entertaining.

Thank you very much!
AGREED.

yo mamma a Horus posted:

this looks freaking cool dude.

Thank you monsieur!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SunAndSpring posted:

Can you add social links like Persona and if so, can you add Robespierre as a love interest, thx

Thank you for your comment, though I am not exactly sure what you mean.
We are not using Persona at the moment, therefore not very familiar with it.
Could you please elaborate on your request?
Also, what do you mean by "add Robespierre as a love interest?

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Deki posted:

Will there be a detailed crafting system?

Thank you for your question.

There will be no crafting system as of now, but we will have an advanced weaponry system where each weapon needs a certain amount of skill (exp) for it to be used properly.
And also some other interesting features borrowed from other game styles, such as the ability to pick up weapons from the field, or pass/drop them.

We will describe this in much more detail as soon as the crowdfunding campaign launches.
So stay in touch! ^^

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Deltasquid posted:

This actually looks a lot better than I had expected from that announcement teaser. The character models look a bit wonky but otherwise it seems competently made. Not at all the RPG maker game I was expecting to see. So good job?

Your post on the uniforms made me curious, though. Is this a Japanese studio or are you a group of Frenchmen who decided to set up shop in Tokyo? Either way you are more knowledgeable on the subject of 1789 European uniforms than I am.

Thank you?
HyperDevbox Japan is a Japanese company owned by Frenchmen - Carlo Perconti, and consists of mainly a Japanese staff, but also other nationalities (myself included).
But, we all came from stardust, and that's where we shall return.

Blackdog420 posted:

will there be soul-breeding or anything similar? thanks

The soul-breeding system that was used in Record of Agarrest War was unique to that game, and we are not planning on copying and using it for Thermidor.
It just doesn't really fit the game...
Not to mention, this first chapter of Thermidor takes place during the first year of the revolution (1789), therefore a multi generation feature is simply not possible.
But, it's not impossible that in future chapters we will implement Thermidor's own mating system.
In a nutshell, the game will be more focused on the story line, rather than on breeding characters etc'.

Good Dumplings posted:

Do not put in anything from a tale of two cities unless you put some super robots too

Note taken.

Omnicarus posted:

will Thermidor have in-game Assignat with a value based in a real world currency like BitCoin?

The game will have an in-game currency that will be used to buy items/weapons/ammunition etc', at the shop, but we DO NOT plan on mixing in-game currency with real world currency, such as Bitcoin.
As a reminder, Thermidor won't have any IAP! It will be a full premium paid game.
Though, as mentioned earlier, there might be DLCs for extra levels/characters etc' in the future, depending on the success of the game.
So, if you are a committed gamer, you will finish the game. If you are not, you will simply have to try harder... ^^
You won't be able to buy yourself out of trouble, or purchase your way to victory.

I would like to kindly remind you that you can subscribe to our newsletter in order to get informed when the campaign launches, and about other Thermidor news.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zombie Squared posted:

Sorry if this has been asked already but will there be any wizards in this game OP??

In general, we aren't planning on having any fantasy/magic per-say, but there will be some religious figures in the game that might have some "spiritual" powers, and a secret society with some "alchemist" type powers.
It also greatly depends on the game scenario, which is still being written as we speak.
There is still a big part of the game that we do not know yet!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thehoodie posted:

You should capitalize the "t" in "tavern"

Thank you, I agree!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Justin Credible posted:

Please make the ending montage/credits with all the bad guys and most of the good losing their heads while giving peace signs and big selfie smiles and held poses and end up on a set of shelves together wherein the end credits song ("Vive la Rose") plays and they join in one by one tia. Like it's fine not to have any guillotines in game but let's get real for a second here about how many people would be livid if they made NO appearance in the game regardless of historical accuracy.

How about this, when the campaign launches, I will make a poll thread to see how many people want to see a guillotine in the game ^^

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Space Bat posted:

I like this game, I think it is cool.

Thank you very much, sir.
We are very excited about finishing and releasing this game ^^
But the crowdfunding campaign needs to reach the goal, so people sharing and being involved in the conversation is all we need right now!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zombie Squared posted:

Will you be launching the crowdfunding campaign on fig so that we can become investors and share in the profits?

Probably not.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to introduce to you the characters of Thermidor!

Léandre (main character)
He is a romanticist with the heart of an explorer.
He is a quick thinker, persuasive, and likes anything heroic or adventurous, though lazy when it comes to house chores or work.
He is also an excellent rifler, and can use a sword better than most people his age (19).

Armandine (main character)
She is a beautiful 18 year old daughter of an Aristocratic family. A perfectionist who enjoys improving herself.
She has skill in the piano, etiquette, rhetoric, history, literature, and languages. All in the hopes of marrying for power and wealth.
Although she prides herself on being the perfect lady, she did develop one guilty pleasure - fencing.

Léonce - Léandre's father
Léonce was the son of a soldier.
He later on followed his father's footsteps and served in the French army himself.
Now he owns the family tavern with his wife, and they try to make a normal living, and live a peaceful life, though constantly under the heel of the aristocracy.

Marie. - Léandre's mother
Marie grew up in a small home with many brothers and sisters.
They all grew up working in the same tavern that she and her husband currently run.
Unfortunately the tavern fell on hard times and her parents were forced to sell a number of their children.
Marie was one of them. She and a few of her siblings were placed on a wagon and taken away.
She was lucky enough to catch the eye of a nobleman. At his estate, she was well cared for, and was taught the ways of the court, manners and cooking.

Camille de la Marne - Armandines father
A noble French aristocrat, and a staunch traditionalist.
He is a highly influential noble in Paris. His most notable contribution is his alliance with Abbot Gregoire Ouvirard who is the head of a local monastery.
When his daughter begins to show affections to a commoner named Leandre, he goes through a lot of trouble to keep them separated.
Although he seems to be cruel on the outside, not one of his schemes includes killing the boy.

Emerance de la Marne - Armandine's mother
A noble aristocratic woman and a devoted romantic.
She is one of the few people who knows her husband's true intentions toward the common people.
She knows why he helps them and why he wants their daughter to marry another aristocrat.
But no matter how much she tries, she cannot bring herself to agree with marrying their daughter off like that.
She believes in the significance of love and that sometimes pain is the price of true love.

Thermimi

King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette

Louis XVI (King of France) Inherited the throne of France in 1774 when he was 19 years old.
Although he's often blamed for France's poor state at the time, he actually inherited much of the debt and sorry affairs France had been in.
He was socially awkward, cowardly, fat, shy, and easily manipulated.

Marie Antoinette (Queen of France) was a Habsburg Archduchess and the youngest daughter of the Holy Roman Emperor Francis I.
She was married to Louis XVI of France when she was 14.
She was light hearted, and loved music.
She grew up pampered and coddled.
She was very attractive and enjoyed being attractive to people.

That's it!
Let me know your thoughts ^^

By the way, our #dailyquiz about Thermidor's characters will end this coming Monday (31st), but you still have a chance to win a framed picture of Léandre signed by our staff.
All you have to do is comment your answer in the respective post, on either Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+.
Try to answer all six of them!

And please subscribe to our newsletter ^^

hyperdevbox fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 1, 2016

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Justin Credible posted:

It all looks pretty good but I'm thrown a little with the historical accuracy based on the concept art. Will there be rectangular paper bags like we have in the modern day that show up in the game proper? If so, then I would like to use that as a persuasive argument I'm not going to eloquently make in having our old friend Mr Headseperator show up as well.

No head separators!!!
:smugjones:

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway, happy Halloween to all ya'll

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arrrthritis posted:

couple of questions OP

can I recruit napoleon into my party

can i use the dog in combat?

Napoleon was still a young soldier at the time the story takes place. Also it wouldn't be fair on the enemy, as he was probably the greatest military commander in history, and having him in your party means certain death to all who disobey him.

Regarding the dog, maybe to distract the enemy with his heart melting cuteness?

koolkal posted:

Please add a Louisette-chan

LOL
Good one!

Justin Credible posted:

I mean it's a little confusing for me as a casual thread reader and contributor that the OP isn't getting, despite genuine efforts even if they are laced with sarcasm, is that we are legit giving him and his company ways they can sell a lot more copies. I mean there has to be a guillotine to purchasing customer ratio which will be far higher than the no-guillotine to purchasing customer ratio.

At least the main character is androgynous like we knew all young Frenchmen to be during that era. Because what I demand in my JRPGs is historical accuracy. I also noticed how the OP dodged my question about if there will be rectangular paper bags like we have in modern times to just get frustrated about guillotines again. Sheesh. These are important issues and we need to figure this out or else this game just won't get the legs it needs and regardless of our personal feelings I don't think any of us wants this game to fail.

First of all, I apologize for not replying about the guillotines and the paper bags. But as I mentioned before, THERE WILL BE NO GUILLOTINES.
We don't want any beheading of any sort in the game, even if it means less sales.
Yes, we DO want this game to succeed and see the light of day, but we are making this game the way we feel it should be, and not necessarily what "the public" wants.
Though, that being said, part of the fun in crowdfunding a game, is that everyone is involved in the development process, and can suggest ideas or give comments and feedback, and that is a GREAT thing!

But please excuse us for ignoring all the silly suggestions, like romancing pets, having nanomachines, paper bags or no paper bags, or arm-mounted guillotine-launching guns. You definitely made me chuckle though...

Jose Mengelez posted:

This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I've played hundreds of games like this, and have shown little to no emotion. the games were just windows to a past I've never lived in people who I never knew or would ever know. But this game made me stop and evaluate. Putting kawaii bishies in made me actually look at what was is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel these emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.

(Hoping you're not being sarcastic...) thank you!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You still haven't said if André René Roussimoff is gonna be in the game or not. He is important hero of French people, he needs to be in!

Sorry, André the Giant is not going to be in the game.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Seshoho Cian posted:

Best of luck with development, fellas. The project looks real sharp already.

Thank you!
We are working REALLY hard to make this game a great one.

LotsBread posted:

op hasn't replied yet, have we scared him away :ohdear:

you have not!
I read ALL of your comments! It's just that most of the recent comments are just too silly to reply to...

Lunethex posted:

Game development is hard.

You're drat right it is. But also fun and very rewarding (:

Space Bat posted:

This game is cool, and frankly, I hope it does well.

Thank you! :haw:

Node posted:

My one wish before I die is to play a JRPG with guillotines. It looks like I will leave this earthly realm incomplete.

How to become a game developer

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

I do want to reiterate, again: I am friends with the developers, and there will be guillotines.

No and No, in both of your claims ^^

hyperdevbox fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 8, 2016

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Seshoho Cian posted:

Best of luck with development, fellas. The project looks real sharp already.

Thanks, we will keep that thread updated on Thermidor development, feel sorry that to follow up you will have to skip all the repetitive sarcasms thought !!!

hyperdevbox fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 8, 2016

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Defiance Industries posted:

Will I be able to design my own character to play as? I am only interested in games where I play as Shrek (not because I want to do anything weird or sexual as Shrek, I just find playing as Shrek relaxing). If I can play as Shrek in history times, I'm very interested in doing that.

void sarcams( bool mode = true)
{

Sorry, No shrek in Thermidor, but if you are willing to pledge a 50k on the project (once the Crowdfunding campaign is live), we can certainly arrange to license the character from who ever has the copyrights and do something special for you, PM when you feel ready to press that trigger ^^

}

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Node posted:

I can't wait for this game, which has guillotines.

for(int i=0;i<10000;i++)
{
char *Our_Advise ="Don't hold your breath for it";
}

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

this is a stickup posted:

must be a seriously air tight nondisclosure policy you've got there

You won't believe it, so tight you can't let a myth·o·ma·ni·ack passing thru !

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Princey posted:

based on your bios leandres mom seems like the most interesting character so i'd like to request that the game be set 30 years earlier with her as the protagonist instead, tia

also don't skimp on the child-selling mechanics

Sounds interesting enough, we'll think about a "prequel" version, but by definition not before that one is already published ^^

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Will Johnny Five Guillotines be in this ?

For you.... simply a NO ^^

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
By the way, if there are posters with genuine interest on the game, by all mean feel free to post your question and we'll be happy to answer, don't be scared by the few sarcastic people just whining their repetitive "guillotines" ^^

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cynic Jester posted:

You were doing so well standing up to all this sarcasm. Don't go losing your head over guillotines.

Thanks for your advise ^^

PS : If there are posters/gamers on that forum with genuine interest on the game, by all mean feel free to post your question and we'll be happy to answer, don't be scared by the few sarcastic people just whining their repetitive "guillotines" ^^

hyperdevbox fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 8, 2016

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ok this will end our "Happy Hour Sarcasm of the Day" reply session, from now on we are back to normal mode and are looking forward any questions with a genuine interest on Thermidor ^^

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Camel Camus posted:

Hey dev I bet you won't get to my question in a while from dealing with all the guillotine questions but when you have a moment I have a couple of questions about the design philosophy:

First, this is a game about "France" but as you rightly said all of the characters are from Japan. How do you preserve the national style of revolutionary France with Japanese characters? Secondly all the screen shots are in English. Not sure if this is a mistake-surely they will be alternately in French and Japanese (kanji), right? Is that part of the polish that you mentioned the game is lacking?

Finally I have a question about game content so ignore it if you don't want to give away spoilers, but can you live in Benjamin Franklin's house? Maybe through in-game purchase or DLC if you haven't done it yet, just a thought!

Thank you for the questions.
The characters are not Japanese, but French. Only the art is in Japanese anime style.
As for the screenshots, we are going to run this campaign in three languages - English, French and Japanese, therefore every post, picture or video we make that has writing in it, is done in those three languages.
This forum is in English, so I posted the Character designs and the teaser video in English, but we have the same ones in French and Japanese as well.

Regarding Benjamin Franklin, that is not a bad idea at all! We are looking to have many different settings for the game, each with a different atmosphere etc', and having Benjamin Franklin's house would be a great idea. ^^

Birthday Oral posted:

I'm going to non-sarcastically ask if there's generic character creation because I like that in tactics rpgs.

We haven't planned on implementing that in to the game, but we are still very early in the game development, so you never know, we might!

How Rude posted:

Despite goons dumping on you constantly you keep trucking on.

Godspeed random JRPG developers.

Thank you.
It's all about percentage! 80% of people here are just screwing around, but the other 20% are genuinely interested in the game! And that is good enough ^^

The cast seems pretty sparse for a tactical RPG. You only have two playable characters listed. Are you really sure you don't want to add in Andre The Giant, if only to fill out the roster better?

As of now, there are 9 playable characters. But that may change.

Couple of problems with this one too!

First, his gun is far too skinny. Firearms of the time were much thicker for a large number of reasons. The most important being bore diameter, that is the width of the barrel which is determined by the width of the bullet. Bullets and the guns firing them were much fatter back then due to the use of blackpowder, which burns much less efficiently than modern smokeless gunpowder. This results in lower velocity which results in less damage. In order to give guns enough stopping power to kill a man in one shot (since reloading took a while) they had to shoot very big bullets.

The term "rifler" is not accurate as most guns in France in 1789 would have been smooth-bore. They had no rifling and as such were not rifles. But muskets. Now rifles did exist but they were significantly less common due to the spherical projectiles they shot not benefiting very much from being shot from rifled barrels as well as machining techniques were much less developed in the 18th century so making a rifled barrel was prohibitively expensive.

Finally his description says that he's both good with swords and with guns. While such a dual proficiency is not uncommon in real life, for a JRPG having a character use two very different types of weapons doesn't really make much sense. In Chrono Trigger for instance, Lucca could only equip guns and Marle could only use bows. Sure there are exceptions to this rule, but with the other party member being a dedicated swordsman, it seems to me that it would make more sense for Leandre to focus on guns and have her focus on swords. Instead of having one guy use swords and another get to also use guns.

I hope you and the rest you are dev team take these into consideration.

We based Lendre's rifle on this one, which is called "fusil de chasse hessois"

We made it a bit thinner/smaller, as we thought it looks cooler and fits his character better.

In Thermidor, each character has his own specialty weapon. In Leandre's case it is a rifle. But he is also proficient with a sword, but not as proficient as Armandine who is an expert fencer.

Palpek posted:

Also frying pans like the one on the right haven't been invented until late XIXth century when cooking stoves became popular.

Seriously what's even the point of setting your game in a particular historical year if you're going to basically piss all over the time period, have dozens of glaring mistakes in every single character (every second piece of clothing on your characters is wrong) but then be all smug about not having guillotines because they weren't invented until a year later.

You're already ignorant about everything else, you obviously don't have resources to actually research the subject properly and your artists don't give a poo poo about history and just draw whatever they feel like looks old enough but ooooh boy let us tell gamers how hardcore we are about guillotine history :smuggo:.

Either be actually historically accurate or admit you're putting things into your game that look cool but may be taken from later time periods in which case you should put guillotines into your game.

We put in things into our game that look cool, but may be (unintentionally) taken from later time periods.
There will be no guillotines in the game, because chopping off people's heads is pretty gory, and we don't really want that in Thermidor.

I do apologize, but from now on, any person that mentions guillotines or perverted stuff will be put into the ignore list, and therefore won't have any of their future comments/questions replied by us.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jose Mengelez posted:

the scarlet pimpernel would make a great boss/party member and instead of :siren:SEVERE TRIGGER WARNING:siren: guillotines you could use medieval style 'stocks' and there could be a minigame where you have to swipe rotten vegetables out of the air. just an idea 【ツ】

hehehe
I'll pass that idea on ^^

Solomonic posted:

Hi OP. Will Cardinal Richelieu be in this game? I realize that, of course, he had unfortunately passed away prior to the start of the French Revolution, but would it perhaps be possible to include him as a sort of phantasmic mentor figure for the protagonist, in the style of Obi-Wan Kenobi or that merchant NPC from Darksiders? Thanks for listening, we at the Something Awful Forums appreciate your commitment to open development.

That's not a bad idea!
As I mentioned before (can't remember where or when), we are seriously thinking of having some sort of non-realistic healing or attacking powers. And having a dead historical figure appear as a mentor is a great idea! Thank you (:

By the way, one of the reasons we opened this thread, is because we want to hear people's ideas for Thermidor, and for them to take an active part in the development. Isn't it great that no matter where you are in the world, your ideas for a JRPG game being developed in Japan, actually reach the developer, and might be implemented in the game? I see it as a new era for game development when even the smallest and farthest voice can reach the top.
And that's also part of the reason we are going with crowdfunding, instead of the traditional way. Crowdfunding is mostly, but not entirely about the funding, It's also about sharing every single moment of the development with the backers, and listening to their comments and suggestions, thus insuring that Thermidor will be GREAT.

I'd like to also just add that Carlo Perconti, the CEO of HyperDevbox, is the mind behind this project, and his ideas for the game are absolutely fantastic, and some even groundbreaking. Not to mention his "out of this world" passion for gaming.
I personally am very much looking forward to writing the soundtrack, and hopefully make it as great as the game itself.

Crazy Achmed posted:

What type of fencing are we talking here? Oldschool cut-and-thrust rapier, smallsword thrust-only stuff, or the perennial military sabre? Armandine has very skinny legs for someone who's supposed to be an expert fencer and similarly, she should really be wearing baggier breeches otherwise she'll have a hard time moving and fighting properly.

Also how are you handing damage in combat? Typically all the weapons discussed so far (including guillotines) would kill or incapacitate in a single hit.

Like other JRPGs and games, no matter what the weapon is, you will lose HP or health on each hit. But what will be unique in Thermidor, is that a big hit can cause you to drop your weapon! More details will be explained at the launch of the campaign, which is getting near!

Crazy Achmed posted:

Hey, I just really like fencing, and realistic depictions of women in fiction. Plus given that this is a real-world rather than a fantasy setting (right?) I genuinely want to know if there is any concession made to this in terms of the combat system, or whether you're going with the tried and true "get shot in the face and run through six times but don't give no fucks because I still have 53HP left". I know realism has probably got to be given the chop in favour of the game actually being fun to play, but, hey, if you have any interesting spins on JRPG combat then inquiring minds want to know.
On a related note, will you buck centuries of JRPG tradition and have guns that are more damaging than swords?

We are all for realism, but part of the fun in JRPGs is the correct usage of HP, and in Thermidor's case, also skill points for each weapon. so a character skilled with a rifle, using a super attack, would definitely deal a lot of damage. But a less skilled character might actually even miss his target entirely.
But yes, I think the rifles in the game will be more powerful than the sword, and also grant the ability to attack from a distance. And the further away from the target, the more likely you will miss or make less damage.
The game is still in its very early development stage, so we won't know exactly how these attacks will be until we get there ^^ but we have a lot of ideas about it.

Look! A Horse! posted:

huh? you seem to be implying that any work of historical fiction that doesn't get all the details right is worthless. I think that creating a meaningful story that is also relevant to the setting is much more important than getting the "facts straight". Neither of which this game will do but still...

I was about to agree with you and give you a big thumbs up for the first part of your comment, but then you had to ruin it with your unnecessary negativity and pessimism at the end... :golfclap:

Super No Vacancy posted:

op can you tell us the origin of hyperdevbox's name

It's actually a name that contains a special code, that if revealed, will give you the coordinates to a wormhole that leads to the frozen planet of Zabrob in the constellation Globerjarm 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Camel Camus posted:

First want to take the time to say how cool it is you are engaging with the community like this, and you seem to know so much that I almost forgot you are in charge of the soundtrack and not the development or storyline! Very cool.

On the topic of music, the concept of the game really reminds me of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado," and I'm glad to see you guys wearing that on your sleeve- down to the naming of the characters (for those not in the know, I'm talking about satirically using made-up names like "Leandre" and "Amandine" as opposed to authentic Japanese names e.g. Hiro, Mitsuko, it's a great nod to the faux-japanese names of The Mikado like "Nanki-Poo" and "Pish-Tush"). Could you explain a little bit how you came to that influence and the process behind writing music for a story focused around Japanese aesthetics, culture and characters in the trappings of 1790s France? I can't wait to get some more samples of the music because I think there's a lot of potential here and that the project is very forward thinking. For now- did you intentionally mimic the pop operatic structure Sullivan was famous for or did it follow naturally as you matched the music to the tone of the game and its influences?

Thank you very much for the lovely comments!

Actually, there is no mimicking of any kind of music, and inspiration comes from the huge mixture of genres that I listen to.
We have a very clear idea of what kind of soundtrack we want for Thermidor, but I also have a lot of creative freedom with this game ^^
As the game development progresses, and the soundtrack is being written, I will try and implement different motifs in the music that are connected to the game's setting, while doing my best to sound modern and unique.

Here's another little taste of the game's OST.

• Locked thread