Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Please make the ending montage/credits with all the bad guys and most of the good losing their heads while giving peace signs and big selfie smiles and held poses and end up on a set of shelves together wherein the end credits song ("Vive la Rose") plays and they join in one by one tia. Like it's fine not to have any guillotines in game but let's get real for a second here about how many people would be livid if they made NO appearance in the game regardless of historical accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

It all looks pretty good but I'm thrown a little with the historical accuracy based on the concept art. Will there be rectangular paper bags like we have in the modern day that show up in the game proper? If so, then I would like to use that as a persuasive argument I'm not going to eloquently make in having our old friend Mr Headseperator show up as well.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I mean it's a little confusing for me as a casual thread reader and contributor that the OP isn't getting, despite genuine efforts even if they are laced with sarcasm, is that we are legit giving him and his company ways they can sell a lot more copies. I mean there has to be a guillotine to purchasing customer ratio which will be far higher than the no-guillotine to purchasing customer ratio.

At least the main character is androgynous like we knew all young Frenchmen to be during that era. Because what I demand in my JRPGs is historical accuracy. I also noticed how the OP dodged my question about if there will be rectangular paper bags like we have in modern times to just get frustrated about guillotines again. Sheesh. These are important issues and we need to figure this out or else this game just won't get the legs it needs and regardless of our personal feelings I don't think any of us wants this game to fail.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Maybe that's what the game is actually about and the OP doesn't want to spoil it. For that I commend them. However, I will spoil it. This is about the true story of the persecution of guillotines and the struggle of one young man to free them from the bonds of trees and rock and allow them to rise to the glory of their truth, shining and bright, thanks to the tireless efforts of one of France's most prolific Social Justice Warriors who has remain largely unknown until now.

Shine on, Leandre. Shine on.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Well that's good to know, I was getting worried there for a minute. I almost canceled my backing!

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Okay, again, I will bring this up. Because it was not addressed. Because of the logic of 'guillotines were not present until this year historically'.

WHY DOES MY 18th-CENTURY MOTHER HAVE GROCERY BAGS?! THEY WERE NOT INVENTED UNTIL 1852! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_bag

This is far more ahistorical and upsetting to me than the lack of guillotines, considering you're talking about a year difference from the setting to when they were seen in actual history. It hurts my head and my heart. Please rectify this ASAP tia.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

this is a stickup posted:

I can't wait to sex all of these hip characters

It is curious however that he is bringing home groceries in a wooden box which would have certainly been available. But his wife has paper bags? It's just a little inconsistent, is all.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

The thing that makes me the saddest about this thread is how many people got put on ignore. Sure, there were a few extremely sarcastic and mildly rude responses, but blanketing legitimate concerns that will impact the success of the game and the livelihoods of the people who are making it is no laughing matter.

At least the mods can't be put on ignore. Be the voice of the downtrodden, the unheard, the wretched masses of gamers yearning to breathe the free air of 18th.. or 19th, if we are going by the rifle, century France.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I appreciate the thread title's additional word to clarify it's not actually about Gil-Holes (the original French term, translated of course), but it almost feels like a case of the end of the title being cut off. It's like you can fill in your mind whatever is after 'NOT' like 'ANYTHING ELSE'. Maybe some words should be added to once and for all clear up this little mishap in the forums code.

I mainly come into this thread for development updates. I'm curious if proper bullet drop for a 19th Century musket firing 18th Century black powder and lead ball will be modeled or if the game will rely on a more abstract numbers-based system? In the latter case I'd say 24 would be an appropriate damage threshold considering the quality of firearms consumable materials would have been of inferior quality 100 or so years in the past even though kwaii Lenarde (is that his name? I forget sometimes) has a prototype rifle. 30 would be excessive considering those factors, I think.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Plus it's pretty insulting to come on a comedy forum and then say you're ignoring most of the people in the thread after asking for feedback and get them involved in the development process just because they're making jokes. Like I could understand if you were on forums Hyperdevbox runs, but this is not that and actively telling people who showed enough interest in your game to make a post on an internet forum you're ignoring them is rude, short-sighted and condescending.

What we really need is the actual CEO of Hyperdevbox here to answer the hard hitting questions this thread has come up with among the chuckles there to keep America, and indeed the world, laughing in these dark times. Much like the times of the actual French Revolution in 1897.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I wouldn't expect much of a response from the OP because according to him HyperDevBox the premier gaming studio is currently ignoring 80-90% of the posters in this thread.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

That's pretty insensitive to bipedal humanoids with consciousness that self-identify as swords, prick. Trigger warning that poo poo.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

If this thread serves to have someone, anyone, even just one person at that company stop when they are walking to their desk in the morning, truly looking around them for the first time and legitimately ask the question, "What the gently caress are we doing?", then we have done a small amount of good in this world.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Well guys I did a little digging to find out what's up exactly. So I browsed over to their job postings, thinking maybe someone here could fill a vacant and needed slot! You got to have the right people for success.

http://hyperdevbox.com/?portfolio=3d-graphic-artist

3D Graphic Artist posted:

JOB DESCRIPTION
The 3D Graphic artist assignments are designing 3D characters, applying motion capture data to bones skeleton, designing environment backgrounds, textures and user interface elements for games, import and proof check of the exported data into unity3D.
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE
. Good professional graphic design skills including illustration, animation and computer graphic design.
. Proficient in Unity3D, Photoshop, Maya 3D or similar 3D modeler application.
. Participation in brainstorming sessions & peer review.
. Being familiar with current games
. Speaking Japanese or English

Pays about 1800$/month, comparable to average salaries for computer programmers in Japan. Well that would explain why the juicy screenies haven't been forthcoming! If you really think about it, they put that all together without even that basic part of game design! Impressive! Or the guy cranked out stuff with as much default Unity assets as possible and then quit in August. Which lines up.

What else might they need?

http://hyperdevbox.com/?portfolio=senior-game-programmer

Game Programmer posted:

JOB DESCRIPTION
The Game Programmer is responsible for the systems design and programming implementation of the technical and game design documents and/or managing our port from one platform to another. We currently seek someone that is familiar with ANDROID (Eclipse) and/or iOS (Xcode) architecture, Unity3D engine knowledge being a plus.
RESPONSABILITIES
. Developing resuable system architecture
. Researching and implementing new technologies
. Develop and code the more complex game systems
. Assist with forming schedules
. Complete programming tasks in accordance with schedule
. Ensure high quality code
. Perform functional testing on their code
. Fix bugs
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE
. Good C, JAVA and C++ skills
. Good 3D math skills
. iOS and/or ANDROID experience is essential
. Good Unity3D engine skills will be appreciated
. Working within scheduled time constraints
. Communicating quality issues with technical director
. Reporting to Producer, Project Manager or Technical Director
. Working within a small team environment
. Showing particular attention to detail
. Being familiar with current games
. Speaking English

Wow that is a lot of things one person would need to do! And boy howdy do those all sound like things you should probably have if you are showing off juicy tavern screenies that purport to be early gameplay! Again, the pay is comparable to the averages for computer programmers, but about 20,000 yen more a month. Get in now guys! It's a hot position, it's only been open since mid-June!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Like I mean if you don't have a programmer and don't have a 3D artist you are categorically not making a game. Is it like, just day after day of meetings of ideas like a kid's clubhouse? Do they all just fawn over the fresh new dozen-a-day anime arts that their guy does one of every week? Like, what actually goes on there and how are they paying a music/PR guy (not a good overlapping position as we've seen), we can assume at least an art guy unless they are just doing commission, and the CEO. Probably a web guy. Who also handles the phones. I don't loving know and it hurts my head thinking about it goodnight

• Locked thread