Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/office-kafkaesque-nightmare/

I work in an office doing IT stuff for a school district, and have been doing it for a few months now. For years prior, I'd done all sorts of minimum wage jobs, including working in the blazing summer sun, factory work, customer service, and food service jobs. This summarizes perfectly how I'd felt for years, even when I was a teenager, when I'd hear some overpaid white collar rear end in a top hat complain about how "uninspiring" his job was, and part of the reason I really hated that GenX malaise that was so popular to complain about in the 90's. Glad I'm not the only one who hates hearing those people whine. I now work in a cubicle making more money than I ever have to sit and watch YouTube and browse Facebook, answer phones, and watch a Windows imaging progress bar move. Sure as gently caress beats crippling back pain and heat stroke for poverty wages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Working in an office is actually terrible for your body, you were probably healthier doing labor. Other than the ton of horrible maladies office jobs own, sitting in AC, browsing the internet, talking to Fat Karen about her pets.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Nah, I'm healthier now than I was then. I used to have crippling back pain and was so exhausted when I got home that I didn't do anything, which just made everything worse. Now I can actually afford extra-curricular activities and do stuff after work, and I have real health insurance. My life is better in every measurable way.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
When I first started working an office job I was nearly suicidal, it's soul crushing.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I, for one, enjoy working and making a decent wage in a relaxed, clean and safe environment while shooting the poo poo with enjoyable coworkers. Office jobs are the bomb and beat the poo poo out of physical labour.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Noun Verber posted:

Working in an office is actually terrible for your body, you were probably healthier doing labor. Other than the ton of horrible maladies office jobs own, sitting in AC, browsing the internet, talking to Fat Karen about her pets.

My office job allows me to have the time and money to be active in ways (gym/many days off) where I wont be suffering from stupid repetitive motion injuries when I am older anyways what were you saying?

Also my BMW is getting an overhaul and new suspension tomorrow.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My office job is so soul crushing I escaped via video games and poo poo. This spring I had enough of that nonsense so I started doing real things including exercising.

I thought that would make things better but instead now I have a ton of energy during the day and no way to get rid of it because I'm stuck in a cubicle doing stupid bullshit. I'm also always super pissed off about having to be there because now my life is dependent on things like the weather and daylight availability and time of year and when I look outside and see how I'm wasting a beautiful day doing white collar bullshit it makes me angry.

It is pure agony now.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Don't eat breakfast and you won't have any energy, problem solved.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
I joined the infantry to work outside and be fit, and now that I've moved up the ranks I do a lovely QM warehousing job where I'm constantly forced to decided which policies to violate in favour of other policies and it makes me hate everyone including myself, but I'm left with no marketable skills and am now a fat stress ridden disaster. Being shot at and blown up is way better than this hell. Also Canada doesn't have free education for military so this is my life until I retire. Awesome.

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009

CADPAT posted:

I joined the infantry to work outside and be fit, and now that I've moved up the ranks I do a lovely QM warehousing job where I'm constantly forced to decided which policies to violate in favour of other policies and it makes me hate everyone including myself, but I'm left with no marketable skills and am now a fat stress ridden disaster. Being shot at and blown up is way better than this hell. Also Canada doesn't have free education for military so this is my life until I retire. Awesome.

I join the combat engineers but im stuck on pat plstoon until i kill myself. Far worse than any desk job.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I'm sure your position in a cubicle watching YouTube isn't expendable at all

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

CADPAT posted:

How does Canada have subsidized weed for vets but not education?

neutron
Feb 19, 2003

The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

Noun Verber posted:

Perhaps, but my father worked at a.lumber mill his entire career. I am a desk jockey. He was disabled led by the time he was 40. I'm now 40 and doing fine. I know that's anecdotal, but take it however you like.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I literally have my own office and it totally owns. I just sit alternately doing work and browsing the internet. Often I bring beer and delicious food from home. It helps that the job is actually challenging and interesting on occasion, although of course like most jobs there occasionally is some drudgery. I love it though and I was so so happy to get this job; I'm healthier as well in every way since I did. I like to keep my lights off and the shades drawn and just loving chill so hard.

The worst part, by a country mile, was that I had to move from Santa Cruz to Las Vegas to take the job. Still, it's been kind of fun although of course I miss California.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Duck_King posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/office-kafkaesque-nightmare/

I work in an office doing IT stuff for a school district, and have been doing it for a few months now. For years prior, I'd done all sorts of minimum wage jobs, including working in the blazing summer sun, factory work, customer service, and food service jobs. This summarizes perfectly how I'd felt for years, even when I was a teenager, when I'd hear some overpaid white collar rear end in a top hat complain about how "uninspiring" his job was, and part of the reason I really hated that GenX malaise that was so popular to complain about in the 90's. Glad I'm not the only one who hates hearing those people whine. I now work in a cubicle making more money than I ever have to sit and watch YouTube and browse Facebook, answer phones, and watch a Windows imaging progress bar move. Sure as gently caress beats crippling back pain and heat stroke for poverty wages.

You're going to feel like this for maybe a year before the depression sets it. Enjoy it while it lasts though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Try watching Fight Club nowadays, you're watching this gen x fucker complain about his condo and company car and private little cubicle to the extent that he has a breakdown and has to have gay sweaty wrestles in a carpark

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Noun Verber posted:

Get a standing desk and go for an occasional lap around the complex.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

just lol if your office job has interesting coworkers, good pay, light workload... :smith:

actually most of my coworkers don't even have an external internet connection :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
nm this thread is hella old

• Locked thread