Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zomborgon posted:

An expansion on the big hint: See what happens when you try putting too-big argument integers into the parts that include the number 14 in their operation.

seriously this is a spoiler: wow didn't think about using ROM, I did 180 with a logic gate instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I just started playing this week so I don't remember it

Reading simple I/O now clears any value written to it

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GotLag posted:

Reading simple I/O now clears any value written to it

code follows:
teq p0 25
+ mov 50 p0

am I on the right track?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You've got the right amount but you might want to think about where you're putting it.

Putting it all on that one wire is going to make it difficult (impossible?) to handle the other cases.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GotLag posted:

You've got the right amount but you might want to think about where you're putting it.

Putting it all on that one wire is going to make it difficult (impossible?) to handle the other cases.

yay, got it

e: 233 is fastest at 3¥?

e2: on to speeding up infrared sensor past 285

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 1, 2016

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
What are situations where tcp is useful?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Mostly when you have exactly three separate cases to consider, you can save a lot of lines of code over doing two tests to catch both halves. It's especially useful when you have data in your registers that you don't want to overwrite, but even if that's not the case it can still save lines of code and let you squeeze everything into fewer/smaller chips.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's also useful for disabling both conditional branches.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Both good things.

This game needs to compare your results with others who had the same metrics. Like, you click cost and it compares power and code in the other two and so on. Or am I miss something?

edit:
code:
  get: mov x0 acc
  tgt acc -1 #not -999
  - slp 1
  - jmp get
  + #do things
Is this reasonable? I'd like to know a more compact way to do.

edit2:
I'm an idiot, i've even done this before

code:
  tgt acc -1
  - jmp end
  + #do things
  end: slp
Saving 1 line if we need a sleep. Otherwise I still want to know what else I can do.

edit: vvv yeah, I have many. Maybe it would have been clearer with no '+' on #do things line. Sorry.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 1, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
code:
  tgt acc -1
+ #do things
+ ...
  end: slp
No need for jump unless you've got another conditional branch that needs both cases handled.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

GotLag posted:

I FINALLY got this one (signal amplifier in 4/133/3)

That cellular scaffold though...none of you are there yet? I only have 3 steam friends that beat brain-computer interface, and Jabor is not one of them. :mad:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GuavaMoment posted:

I FINALLY got this one (signal amplifier in 4/133/3)

That cellular scaffold though...none of you are there yet? I only have 3 steam friends that beat brain-computer interface, and Jabor is not one of them. :mad:

I'm stuck on the scaffold right now (haven't attempted the interface yet).

My first attempt looks like separate chips for each pattern - one chip handles pattern 5, one chip handles 6 (activate both for 4), one chip for 3, one chip for 1+2, one chip for 7+8. One more chip to activate the right things at the right time, and then some more for motor control.

I just can't make everything fit though :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Despite doing the Vape Pen (Cool Dad) and Device 2A27 that come after it with relative ease, I am absolutely hitting the wall with Virtual Reality Buzzer and can't seem to do it.

One issue is that while I can definitely check the incoming Xbus number I can't figure out how to keep the pulses going before a 0 comes in and while -999s are coming in.

Trying to do this in 1x MC6000 and I don't have gen or @ available yet.

Can somebody point me in the right direction? Would keeping a 1 or 0 in dat to denote whether a pulse was previously received and then doing something based on that be a good idea?

Edit: Aren't gen and @ supposed to be available upon completing Cool Dad?

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 2, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If you already know about them you can just use them.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If you already know about them you can just use them.

Yeah but I don't want to cheat :)

Maybe after I do Virtual Reality Buzzer it'll trigger. Maybe they all need to be completed up to a certain point.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

thehustler posted:

One issue is that while I can definitely check the incoming Xbus number I can't figure out how to keep the pulses going before a 0 comes in and while -999s are coming in.

Can somebody point me in the right direction? Would keeping a 1 or 0 in dat to denote whether a pulse was previously received and then doing something based on that be a good idea?

There are lots of way to solve this so I'll just say that the non-blocking xbus holds on to values that aren't -999 in following cycles until you actually read from it, which made it a lot easier for me. Also you know about the jmp command right?

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 2, 2016

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Llamadeus posted:

There are lots of way to solve this so I'll just say that the non-blocking xbus holds on to values that aren't -999 in following cycles until you actually read from it, which made it a lot easier for me. Also you know about the jmp command right?

Aye of course, don't think I'd get this far without it ;)

I think I'm just having trouble laying out the logic for it.

Also oooh, interesting...

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

thehustler posted:

Despite doing the Vape Pen (Cool Dad) and Device 2A27 that come after it with relative ease, I am absolutely hitting the wall with Virtual Reality Buzzer and can't seem to do it.

You don't need to save state, at least not in memory. Small hint: When the input is 1, that starts a loop until the input is -999. And remember that gen is just a concise stand-in for more verbose movs+slps.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Did you solve that god drat kelp harvesting robot yet? Good news everybody, you get to do it again! The specs changed so now DO IT ALL OVER BECAUSE ZACH SAYS SO.

I did discover a couple of neat tricks today though. I've been getting a lot of use of out "@ teq 1 1" that Dancer posted a page back. It can be pretty useful to seed your internal test state right at the beginning. Also a neat trick in vape pen - when it comes time to clear your outputs, you could do

mov 0 p0
mov 0 p1

Or you could just tcp p0 p1 and not give one single gently caress about the actual comparison. Similarly in sandwich maker, at the end I had 'mov 0 x3' (x3 being a DX300) and then 'gen p0 3 0' for the flag. Instead you can 'gen p0 3 x3' and do both things at once.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

GuavaMoment posted:

Did you solve that god drat kelp harvesting robot yet? Good news everybody, you get to do it again! The specs changed so now DO IT ALL OVER BECAUSE ZACH SAYS SO.

From what I'm told, this is at least representative of the industry.

Still, fuckin lol.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Shab posted:

You don't need to save state, at least not in memory. Small hint: When the input is 1, that starts a loop until the input is -999. And remember that gen is just a concise stand-in for more verbose movs+slps.

This might be the biggest hint of all. Are you basically saying that when reading a 1, I can do one pulse, check the next input, and if it's 0 I can dump out of the loop and turn the pulse off and if it's -999 I just cycle to the start of the loop?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I'm away from my laptop, will this work:

code:

tcp x0 0
- jmp end
Loop: + mov 100 p0
+ slp 1
+ mov 0 p0
+ slp 1
+ teq x0 0
- jmp loop
End: Mov 0 p0
slp 1

iPhone codin'

That'll be 1 x 6000
Edit: that first line can be tgt instead I guess

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 3, 2016

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

thehustler posted:

This might be the biggest hint of all. Are you basically saying that when reading a 1, I can do one pulse, check the next input, and if it's 0 I can dump out of the loop and turn the pulse off and if it's -999 I just cycle to the start of the loop?

Pretty much yeah. Think of the 1 and 0 inputs as setting state. Not state as in state saved on a chip, but paths through your code. In that context you can ignore -999 because it just maintains whatever the state is already at (minor exception being the very beginning when it begins in the "0" state without having actually read in a 0). Since 0 state is basically slping until 1, well...

Sorry if that hint was too big.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

No, it wasn't really, I was like 90% of the way there, I just struggled with the code order until the hint helped me visualise it :)

Thanks!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

gently caress's sake it doesn't work.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Success!

code:
start: tcp x0 0
- jmp end
loop:+ mov 100 p1
+ slp 1
+ mov 0 p1
+ slp 1
+ teq x0 0
+ mov 0 p1
+ jmp start
  teq 0 0
  jmp loop
end: slp 1
I love this game

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I can't believe it took me this long to realize I don't need division for the pollution window puzzle. :eng99:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Working on the token kiosk and this seems too easy. Already got it counting the coins, calculating the change, and ringing the bell for the right amount of time.

Now to dispense some coins...

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

SupSuper posted:

I can't believe it took me this long to realize I don't need division for the pollution window puzzle. :eng99:

In software division has always been the enemy of performance anyway.
Re-defining things as additions/shifts/ multiplications saves you a ton of cycles if possible.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

You can fix this by a lot. You don't need any of those plus signs except for the one on 'mov 0 p1', for example. Notice that you will always get a 1 before you get a 0 in the input stream.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Oh, I see. I think I copied it from an earlier attempt where they were needed.

Edit: that also means goodbye tcp 0 0 to trigger the +'s. Can't believe I let that slip through.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I really wish there was a mode that would let you at least *run* your solution without the size constraints.
having to squeeze everything in while you are getting your head around the problem in the later puzzles is frustrating.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

With security tracking badge is it necessary to use a memory module? or is there a simpler way to desynchronise the sector calculation from sending it?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

norp posted:

With security tracking badge is it necessary to use a memory module? or is there a simpler way to desynchronise the sector calculation from sending it?

It's a good idea to use a ROM. If you put the proper values into the ROM, you can feed sync directly into it unchanged, then perform a few conditionals on your ping to find the correct sector from the ROM.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

That's a massive hint, i hadn't quite worked that bit out.

Now i'm not sure how i'm going to solve having the IC controlling the transmitter handle sleeping during audio but still signalling the other xbus stuff

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

norp posted:

That's a massive hint, i hadn't quite worked that bit out.

Now i'm not sure how i'm going to solve having the IC controlling the transmitter handle sleeping during audio but still signalling the other xbus stuff

Nothing happens during audio, only audio.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Gah I'm so close to doing Remote Kill Switch.

I can turn on and off individual motors in response to input, and I think the loop counter to turn all outputs to 0 after 5 -999s is working ok (Edit: working fine)

http://imgur.com/a/rq4i6

All I need is one more register to hold the current state.

So I went with this: http://imgur.com/a/dS446

But reading from x2 when an input is on just returns 0. Is the issue that I can't read the status back because the I/O expander is connected to outputs, not inputs? I thought I could query the current state of it?

thehustler fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 4, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The IO expander is slightly simplified so it can't hold state. So if you drive the xbus side, the simple side starts broadcasting but only the simple side. If you drive the simple side, the xbus side starts broadcasting non-blocking style.

I haven't actually tried driving both at once to see what happens.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

So any resolution will require a major reworking unless I can find space (either a register or another chip or something) to hold the current state. But then it would need to run every tick and not every chip does. Gah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It seems reading on the xbus side clears the IO expander's previous xbus input which means you can stick a not gate on the end and make a volatile flipflop that reinitializes after reading. I bet that's useful... somewhere?

• Locked thread