Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

look at all the people who wasted their votes on hillary when they could have voted 3rd party instead.

The third parties are worse than Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Who What Now posted:

The third parties are worse than Trump.

Better the PSL than shillary.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Panzeh posted:

Better the PSL than shillary.

I wish I could be so sheltered as you to think that. I really do.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Who What Now posted:

I wish I could be so sheltered as you to think that. I really do.

i've interviewed both la riva and hillary. la riva was the far better candidate

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Considering only one of them had an actual chance of winning, you're objectively wrong.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i dunno considering clinton had the support of literally every issues group, politician, press organization, you name it and still managed to lose to a neofash rapist i'd say la riva might have had the better shot

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's a good point. If they had just voted for the lesser evil, Trump wouldn't be president.

Yes, exactly. Especially when there's only maybe a half-dozen politicians that you don't consider "evil" to some extent. This is the purest possible example of "the perfect is the enemy of the good".

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know morons, most of the people here who voted Hillary aren't actually neoliberals. I sure as hell supported Bernie. We're just also not pipedreaming idiots.

Don't worry though I'm sure comrade lariva will come through with the revolution any day now.

PS- you're also a moron if you think those who felt the johnson would have all gone Trump otherwise. Lots of them figured "hillary will win, vote dunt matter" and spread their asses wide.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Homework Explainer posted:

i dunno considering clinton had the support of literally every issues group, politician, press organization, you name it and still managed to lose to a neofash rapist i'd say la riva might have had the better shot

Alright, how many votes did she get, then?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

vintagepurple posted:

PS- you're also a moron if you think those who felt the johnson would have all gone Trump otherwise. Lots of them figured "hillary will win, vote dunt matter" and spread their asses wide.
Do you have some exit polls showing this?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

twodot posted:

Given that future elections will continue to exist, it seems reasonable to try to learn from past mistakes (presuming big mean giraffe is actually describing a mistake Democrats made).

Trump did none of the things they suggest, so maybe the message is we need to openly and actively hate his supporters and call for their death and destruction to fire up the base.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, exactly. Especially when there's only maybe a half-dozen politicians that you don't consider "evil" to some extent. This is the purest possible example of "the perfect is the enemy of the good".
If only Hillary supporters hadn't decided that ideological purity was more important than keeping the orange out of the white house.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Mulva posted:

Trump did none of the things they suggest, so maybe the message is we need to openly and actively hate his supporters and call for their death and destruction to fire up the base.

No you guys already do that anyways, it actually doesn't help. You have to have a message of hope beyond "hey, things are pretty good right now".

"I'm with Her". just lmao

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

vintagepurple posted:

You know morons, most of the people here who voted Hillary aren't actually neoliberals. I sure as hell supported Bernie. We're just also not pipedreaming idiots.

Don't worry though I'm sure comrade lariva will come through with the revolution any day now.

dude read your posts in this thread, you're a warhawk piece of poo poo that doesn't give a rat's rear end about progress

please stop holding back the Democratic party by clinging to dead ideology

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NewForumSoftware posted:

dude read your posts in this thread, you're a warhawk piece of poo poo that doesn't give a rat's rear end about progress

And you are? You're willing to let minorities of every kind suffer so that you personally get to feel good about yourself. Go gently caress yourself.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

And you are? You're willing to let minorities of every kind suffer so that you personally get to feel good about yourself. Go gently caress yourself.

The election was over before it even got to California, my vote probably wasn't even counted before Trump won the election.

I didn't let anything happen this election, the DNC and idiots like you parroting their bullshit lost it.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I voted for Jill Stein in Oregon, because it didn't matter. Plus, while some of Stein's views are batshit crazy, the actual environmental message is what is most important.

I want to see an end to fracking, more lands put aside for national parks, et cetera. People's rights, abortion, etc - all important, but what good is all that if we destroy the planet we live on?

Hillary won by 200,000 votes in my state (11 percent) and won my county 137,818 to 75,903 - (17 percent).

If I was in a swing state? I would actually vote with whatever major party candidate was closer to what I desired. When I lived in Omaha, Nebraska for the 2008 election, I voted Obama instead of the Green party, due to that state's split electoral vote system.

Guess what? Obama took the 1 electoral vote in that region, because my vote actually mattered that year.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like how things suddenly became about people being able to fail a politician rather than the other way around.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NewForumSoftware posted:

The election was over before it even got to California, my vote probably wasn't even counted before Trump won the election.

I didn't let anything happen this election, the DNC and idiots like you parroting their bullshit lost it.

That your vote was of marginal utility is secondary to your willingness to screw over everyone who isn't you just so you can feel smug.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The woman did everything right. She ran the campaign literally as well as it could possibly go. I cannot find a single flaw in the way she ran it besides
1. She's a woman
2. she's not Bernie

So yeah, this one is on us. I can't even loving vote and I feel responsible. Accept it and don't be a weasel.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

That your vote was of marginal utility is secondary to your willingness to screw over everyone who isn't you just so you can feel smug.

hopefully that self-righteousness keeps you warm for the next four years

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And you know something? Incrementalism still triumphs over your dipshit accelerationism. Marijuana is now legal for 20% of the population and it's unlikely Trump will roll it back. That will have huge repercussions for states and prisons in the long run.
So even when you asswipes chortle over us after a furious session of slamming your balls in a doorjam, we still move on in some way.

It's a tiny step, especially in the scheme of a trump presidency, but it's a step.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

SSNeoman posted:

And you know something? Incrementalism still triumphs over your dipshit accelerationism. Marijuana is now legal for 20% of the population and it's unlikely Trump will roll it back. That will have huge repercussions for states and prisons in the long run.
So even when you asswipes chortle over us after a furious session of slamming your balls in a doorjam, we still move on in some way.

It's a tiny step, especially in the scheme of a trump presidency, but it's a step.

yeah no poo poo that's why I moved to a liberal state and stopped caring about federal bullshit

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

I'm sure that's a big relief for the people who literally get murdered by the police with Trump's full approval and support over the next eight years

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm sure that's a big relief for the people who literally get murdered by the police with Trump's full approval and support over the next eight years

I'm sure your ideological purity is equally as much of a comfort to them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SSNeoman posted:

The woman did everything right. She ran the campaign literally as well as it could possibly go. I cannot find a single flaw in the way she ran it besides
1. She's a woman
2. she's not Bernie

So yeah, this one is on us. I can't even loving vote and I feel responsible. Accept it and don't be a weasel.

The Pragmatic, supremely good Politician. She was perfect!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

SSNeoman posted:

1. She's a woman
2. she's not Bernie

YOU FUCKERS IT WAS HER TURN!!!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NewForumSoftware posted:

hopefully that self-righteousness keeps you warm for the next four years

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

SSNeoman posted:

This just demonstrates a total lack of knowledge of how the legal system works. I don't fault people for being ignorant about it, but I do fault people for having no clue and claiming some sort of superiority.

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

:siren:BAD POSTER ALERT!:siren:

SSNeoman posted:

1. She's a woman
2. she's not Bernie

This is incredible. I hope you are being sarcastic or parodying someone who thinks this way. But I fear you aren't.

There were many reasons Hillary lost, and the least of which was because she was a woman. Until the democratic party can understand that, they will suffer. Maybe not always lose, but suffer. Everyone who doesn't completely agree with your party line is a racist and bigoted. That just is simply not the case. And the more you hold to that and spew that sort of hate, the more you will be marginalized. People are complex and have complex views. And talking like that, acting like if you didn't vote for Hillary you are sexist, will just drive more people away from you. It's sickening. It's one of the reasons Trump won was because his supporters were called every name in the book. Even Hillary took a cheap shot at them.

Edit: Interesting. CNN is talking about how Hillary lost because too many Democrats stayed home. Trump received fewer votes than McCain and Romney. It's incredible there are that many sexists in such a progressive party.

Indigofreak fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 10, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Indigofreak posted:

Edit: Interesting. CNN is talking about how Hillary lost because too many Democrats stayed home. Trump received fewer votes than McCain and Romney. It's incredible there are that many sexists in such a progressive party.

Considering how many "progressives" are coming out of the woodwork to talk about how they couldn't support Hillary because she was mean to white people, I'm shocked sexism isn't showing up much more loudly.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

It'll have to be now won't it?
What you think I don't realize how minor this is in the grand scheme of things?

Indigofreak posted:

This is incredible. I hope you are being sarcastic or parodying someone who thinks this way. But I fear you aren't.

There were many reasons Hillary lost, and the least of which was because she was a woman. Until the democratic party can understand that, they will suffer. Maybe not always lose, but suffer. Everyone who doesn't completely agree with your party line is a racist and bigoted. That just is simply not the case. And the more you hold to that and spew that sort of hate, the more you will be marginalized. People are complex and have complex views. And talking like that, acting like if you didn't vote for Hillary you are sexist, will just drive more people away from you. It's sickening. It's one of the reasons Trump won was because his supporters were called every name in the book. Even Hillary took a cheap shot at them.

Oof looks like I hit the mark dead-center.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hey sup everyone, just wanted to interrupt your powerless bitching to remind you that in many swing states (such as Florida) Johnson's share of the vote was larger than the gap between Trump and Clinton. So I guess the moral of the story for Dems is try to appeal to more libertarians like me in the future. I mean, where has your super reliable big government coalition gotten you? And more importantly, those types are a captive audience for you. They'll never vote red no matter what.
:lol:
Probably the only way to do worse than Hillary would have been to run on Johnson's platform of signing the TPP, abolishing tariffs, and freeing capitalists to ship every last manufacturing job to China.

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Oof looks like I hit the mark dead-center.

What do you mean? I voted Hillary. You guys convinced me a few months ago I should. I was going to go third party, but the argument of giving her a mandate won me over. One of you made a good argument, the rest of you just spewed hate. And seem to be doing so again.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I've lost all respect for third-party voters because of this thread. The resulting comments only confirm I was a fool to have any in the first place.

Indigofreak posted:

What do you mean? I voted Hillary. You guys convinced me a few months ago I should. I was going to go third party, but the argument of giving her a mandate won me over. One of you made a good argument, the rest of you just spewed hate. And seem to be doing so again.

Alright, very well then I'll take you and you alone seriously. what should the DNC have done instead?

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I've lost all respect for third-party voters because of this thread. The resulting comments only confirm I was a fool to have any in the first place.

Alright, very well then I'll take you and you alone seriously. what should the DNC have done instead?

I'm sorry, I don't have the answers on what should have happened. I just know what's going on in this thread, isn't helping. Sanders might have won, or maybe even less democrats turn out and vote for an old white guy. I honestly loved Hillary's last campaign ad, and felt like that Hillary could have won. It actually made me want to vote for her. But that was too little too late. It didn't seem to be the foot she was putting forward. Her campaign did a lot of attacking, and a lot of demonizing. Instead of just allowing her message to contrast Trumps. She had a lot of baggage.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really agree, but fair enough. It's by far the most honest opinion in this thread and I can respect that.

EDIT: Sorry that you got avi slapped. welcome to the fold :v:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

1. She's a woman
2. she's not Bernie

Nope nope nope.

https://samkriss.com/2016/11/09/how-you-lost-the-world/

quote:

Why did Hillary Clinton run for President? The most gruesome spectacle of Election Day was her short speech outside the polling station in Chappaqua, New York. ‘It’s the most humbling feeling,’ she said, of voting for herself to control an enormous nuclear arsenal. All electoral politics are predicated on this kind of bullshit, the debates, the campaign ads, the phony acceptance speeches, the highminded types trying to focus on the ‘issues,’ as if there’s any issue at play beyond a pair of hungry-eyed megalomaniacs deciding that they want power. Someone like Trump might have been stupid enough to convince himself that he at least had some kind of grand vision for the country, or the will and dedication to really get things done, but Clinton had no such illusions. She’s been in government for a long time; she knew that the powers of the presidency can be competently exercised by any grey and dismal middle manager, she knew that she had nothing particularly unique to offer. She was running not because there was anything in particular she wanted to get done – look how slippery her positions have been on just about every issue – but because she wanted it, the big chair and the big desk and the first female President; she decided that it was her turn, that it was hers by right. She knew that she was electoral poison, that vast swathes of the country hated her and for good reason, that she was compromised by a miserable record spotted with sleaze and criminality, that she alienated the left, inflamed the right, and appealed mostly to a small coterie of sexually repressed and pathologically centrist think-tank nerds, that her entire constituency was made of limp cardboard and backlogged semen, that her candidacy raised the serious possibility of a Republican victory when anyone else would have beaten that divided and frothing party into insignificance with one hand tied behind their back – but she ran anyway.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's an extreme example of what I mean. I was referring to simple poo poo, like how people conflated Bill's actions with her ability to lead as President.

But...uh...yeah that'll do :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

I can't decide if he actually thinks he has a point here or if he's just spewing hate and bullshit for shits and giggles.

If her flaw was wanting power then that is a flaw every politician has, which he sort of concedes? So what's his point? The only sound argument he has is about her policies that change, but then he just boils over into insults.

• Locked thread