Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Flip Flappers is a currently airing magical girl anime by Kiyotaka Oshiyama, who previously directed episode 5 of the second season of Space Dandy, and served as an animation director on several episodes of Dennou Coil. It's also a show that has a really easily giffable ED.

The Cast:

Cocona is a quiet young girl with a future full of opportunities, soon to graduate from school. In spite of this, she seems a bit gloomy and indecisive.

Papika is a strange, childish girl who appears to be about the same age as Cocona. Unlike Cocona, she doesn't go to school, and she has a rad flying surfboard and a cool flying robot buddy! And also a complete and total lack of care for Cocona's personal space!

TT-392 is a robot. He can use a propeller to fly around, and he can tickle people. Don't open his cone.

Uexkull, the buffest rabbit

And the rest of the characters...

So why should I watch this show?
It's only the first episode right now and the bizarre structure means there's not a whole lot to talk about plotwise, but if you like the director's style in his episode of Space Dandy, well, you're gonna love the hell out of this show. Plus, there's some real fuckin good animation. The ED alone was animated by the director himself!

Is this a reconstruction of magical girl anime?
some motherfuckers said this to me as a joke. they're dead now.

Now, let's Flip Flapping!!! (tn: "let's flip flapping" in this context means "let's talk about the cool and promising show flip flappers")

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I hope most of this show is just little adventures in strange settings with bare amounts of plot

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Parallax posted:

I hope most of this show is just little adventures in strange settings with bare amounts of plot

it seems like different excursions into Pure Illusion will be themed after fairy tales? since this time was Hansel and Gretel

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

it seems like different excursions into Pure Illusion will be themed after fairy tales? since this time was Hansel and Gretel

Hm. Was it? Aside from Cocona leaving a trail of candy for all of 30 seconds I don't see the connection.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Space Flower posted:

Pretty

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Parallax posted:

The after credits scene is an unfortunate omen of plot to come :(

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

devtesla posted:

If the plot goes to the insane places that scene implies, I'll take it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's fine, the preview clearly showed Cocona in school again. Curious about all those other plot elements hinted at in the artwork and the OP anyways.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all the teases of an overarching plot in ep1 were good, so i hope it spins those into something good.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hm. Was it? Aside from Cocona leaving a trail of candy for all of 30 seconds I don't see the connection.

Flip Flappers drawing from the story is also a big possibility. I just thought that the different settings we see could've been from different inspirations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Something nobody's commented on yet: on a rewatch, I registered that the lady in Cocona's dream immediately after the OP is that optical illusion where the person is drawn so that they can look like either a maiden looking over her far shoulder or a crone looking slightly downwards depending on how you look at it. Interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that doesn't really work when you can see the shirt

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

More assorted thoughts from the rewatch:

The wishing jewel smells like Cocona, according to Papika. Wonder if that's a matter of Cocona smelling of magic (or whatever) or of the Jewel smelling like whatever you wish for?

I like how Cocona never calls Papika by name until she's scared Papika's dead. That was rather sweet.

Not sure what Cocona's deal is going to be with those glasses. She clearly doesn't need them to see, and she doesn't wear them often enough for them to be a vanity thing. So why put them on when she does? A momento from some dead parent or something seems too cliche, and at any rate the moments where she puts them on don't immediately appear to be tremendously sentimental.

What was that glow on Cocona's thigh when she went all Mahou Shoujo? Was that the wishing jewel? Some sort of rune? Why her thigh specifically? I'm going to be generous and assume that it wasn't coming from, er, upriver.

It's far too early to be married to this sentiment, of course, but something about our apparent villainous organization rubs me the wrong way as far as storytelling goes - though I can't really put my finger on what it is. The obvious assumption here is that they're letting Papika (and Cocona, her Candidate - whatever that means in practical terms) run around Pure Illusion and gather up fragments of the wishing jewel and then nicking the shards for themselves, which seems straightforward in a way that annoys me more than it feels like it should.

Definitely looking forward to more.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 7, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

What was that glow on Cocona's thigh when she went all Mahou Shoujo? Was that the wishing jewel? Some sort of rune? Why her thigh specifically? I'm going to be generous and assume that it wasn't coming from, er, upriver.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
This show seems like it has some vaguely unsettling and/or dark undertones (EG: robo-brain) and I hope we get some more of that.
Especially if it's going to be pulling material from Hansel & Gretel or even any of the other Grimm's fairy tales.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm pretty sure robo-brain was mostly meant as a gag, if flip flappers gets very serious and dark about anything it's probably going to be character drama

Somewhere Sanguine
May 25, 2011
Everything about the shows visual style really clicked for me. The contrast between the two mains also worked well (But it's way too early to really say it'll hold)
Curious to see where they'll go with it story wise.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

when I flip, you flap.

MMania
May 7, 2008
I'm gonna call this FliFla after the name of the animation team.

And what a great first ep, lots of show-don't-tell characterization and everything looked cool as hell. Make sure you didn't miss the after-credits scene, everyone!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
oh, wow.

this is looking really, really pleasant

like now i think this is probably the thing i will look forward to most each week

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

this was weird but the music made me feel happy so i'm going ot keep flapping

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I, too, was somewhat surprised when Cocona started glowing from the general groin area. It seemed ... unnecessary.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yes indeed let us talk about how the character designer chose to position the glowy thing on cocona and whether or not it was placed intentionally near the i can't loving finish this sentence

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

everyone should stop flipping out and start flapping

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Futaba Anzu posted:

everyone should stop flipping out and start flapping

I said a flip flap,

The hippie, the happy

To the flip, flip flap, and you don't stop, a rock it

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 7, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

I said a flip flop

Close, but...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28823947

Somewhere Sanguine
May 25, 2011
If nothing else, it's still the funnest show title to say of the season.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Close, but...

:ninja:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Here's cool art

https://twitter.com/oyuyyy/status/784311300688007168
https://twitter.com/danny_crgx/status/784136794061189120
https://twitter.com/mayuge1017/status/784029306464772096
https://twitter.com/mebachi/status/783963631062966272
https://twitter.com/binobinobi/status/783950347949580288

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Decided to watch the first episode on a whim. It's pretty and weird which is all fine and good but I hope there's a good plot too

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Colonel posted:

Is this a reconstruction of magical girl anime?
some motherfuckers said this to me as a joke. they're dead now.

its deconstruction, friend

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

its deconstruction, friend

i thought the joke was that Madoka deconstructed it, and this was now reconstructing it

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/kokosac/status/784747965894111232

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Watched the first episode on a total whim. That was cute, but I don't know if I'll stick with it...

devtesla posted:

...wait, after credits scene?

*watches*

Okay yeah, I guess I'm in. :stare:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Ban anyone who didn't watch the whole ED to have noticed the post-credits, imo

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Space Flower posted:

Ban anyone who didn't watch the whole ED to have noticed the post-credits, imo

I watched it while I was tired and ended up dozing off during the credits. Oops. :v:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Nobody told me diebuster was getting a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

darealkooky posted:

Nobody told me diebuster was getting a sequel.

No Lal'c No Sale.

• Locked thread