Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The surfing wetsuit-inspired costume design is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

No Lal'c No Sale.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

next ep preview http://www.flipflappers.com/sp/story/story.html

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You never guessed it: Papika transfers to Cocona's class!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Who'da thunk that'd happen? :v:

Also, looks like we're going even more literal Alice In Wonderland next episode, and it looked like Cocona gets locked in some sort of cage filling with gas? :ohdear:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

nielsm posted:

You never guessed it: Papika transfers to Cocona's class!

They're both wearing school uniforms in the OP already, who would have thought!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/binobinobi/status/784795128900706304

I appreciate this straightforward reply.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Should have answered "No, it was a complete accident when we made Papika look like she was about to kiss Cocona, only to reveal that she was merely sniffing Cocona's hair. No romantic tension was ever intended."

Who specifically is that, anyway? Director? Animator?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Should have answered "No, it was a complete accident when we made Papika look like she was about to kiss Cocona, only to reveal that she was merely sniffing Cocona's hair. No romantic tension was ever intended."

actually it's better, that they said "yes it was intentional and people are not just reading into it"

in fact it's pretty goddamn refreshing having word from staff to back it up and replying like that would probably end up adding even worse fuel to dumb arguments

e; also yeah after a quick google ann says that's the director, kiyotaka oshiyama's twitter

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 12, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

actually it's better, that they said "yes it was intentional and people are not just reading into it"

in fact it's pretty goddamn refreshing having word from staff to back it up and replying like that would probably end up adding even worse fuel to dumb arguments

Yeah, you're right, and it is cool to see the director go "yeah these two girls are totally into each other" this early into a production. The question just made me laugh when I set alongside that scene.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

e; also yeah after a quick google ann says that's the director, kiyotaka oshiyama's twitter

gigideegee author of cq has stated multiple times on her twitter that a character has a crush on another one and people still unironically go "so they're just good friends right"

i really want this second ep

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I watched the first ep and HOLY CRAP IT'S SO GOOD!!!!

It was colorful, used light and shadow in really evocative ways, the animation was super lively, the contrast between Cocona's mundane world and all the wacky stuff... actually wasn't as pronounced as I expected, her town is a pretty neat place that looks like what I imagine a Japanese port heavily colonized by Europeans would look like - like the historical sections of Calcutta, but Japan instead of India. It was neat. Anyways, when they wanted it to look mundane, it did due to the aforementioned light and shadow, and the music.

And then wow that ED! I'd seen it already due to The Colonel posting it in one of the pinned threads, so it wasn't a surprise, but it was fantastic. The cutesy animation at the bottom is a wonderful contrast with the fantastical storybook animation at the top, and the song is fun, too.

The robot thing reminds me of Hyo-Hyo from Kaiba, both in the way it moves and sounds.

I AM SO READY TO FLIP-FLAP-FLIP-FLAP FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON!!!!!!!!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
also, I'm real excited to see the other Pure Illusion worlds, the first did a good job of evoking wonder and loneliness in equal measure, and I can only imagine they'll get more bizarre

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
FLIP FLAP FLIP FLAP

I don't know if this song is ever going to leave my head

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

That is really cool to see, though considering the anime industry, I'm assuming the actual depiction probably won't be much different than the usual yuri-looking-but-not-really windowdressing that's done so much in shows that want to have their cake and eat it too. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised though!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I want to see the Flip Flappers kiss

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
New episode is up. I literally laughed out loud when Papika showed up at school wearing a magical girl costume.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Show remains bonkers; show remains great.

Next episode preview looks like Fury Road, can't wait.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Nobody told me gurren laggan is getting a sequel too

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Episode 2 was pretty good. Art and animation remain outstanding, but that goes without saying. Misc. Thoughts:

-I feel like I like this OP more every time I see it. It's really good.

-Cocona's grandma creeps me out and I'm not sure yet how intentional that is.

-I'm not sure if blondie's attitude towards Papika is just reasonable suspicion towards crazy flying-surfboard hobos or if she's jealous of how handsy Papika is with Cocona.

-If Cocona and Papika have to feel the same way in order to cross over to Pure Illusion, then that explains what the tickling thing was all about. Also noticed that they didn't cross over today until they simultaneously cried out for Uexkull.

-I wonder if any old hole is good enough for crossing over to PI, or if specific places map to each other. Like, if they go back to the pipe from the last episode and cross over there, will that automatically take them to Sweet Snow World agin, or could they access any of the PI worlds depending on how they conduct the little ritual thing?

-Cocona not recognizing Papika in Wonderland until she started sniffing her like a rabbit was cute and funny.

-I'm...not sure what was scratching Cocona up when she was trapped in the big turbine thing. It didn't look like it was just random debris...

-Interesting that, while Cocona seemed to either create or simply reveal a fragment herself when she transformed, Papika found her own well before transforming and didn't get another when she did. Wonder if Cocona's always had a fragment on her, and why?

-I wonder if Uexkull will get to turn buff and come along for all these adventures from now on?

-I'll be interested to eventually find out where the hell Papika came from and why she's unquestioningly gathering fragments for FF.

-My gut says that FF will turn out to be overtly malicious before the show is over...but it's totally possible that I'm wrong and they're just going to be mysterious and eccentric.

-On that note the little chamber they loaded Cocona and Papika into (I assume to send them off to the next Pure Illusion) struck me as unsettlingly close to a crematorium.

-"Uh, our school doesn't let us take jobs!" "Oh, don't worry! We won't be paying you!" Hah.

-Flip flap, flip flap...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I

I'm so confused

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

-My gut says that FF will turn out to be overtly malicious before the show is over...but it's totally possible that I'm wrong and they're just going to be mysterious and eccentric.

To me it sounded like crazy inventor/scientist believes he will genuinely do the world a massive favor by merging it with Pure Illusion, or something like that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Dr Salt is totally Gendo Ikari....

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Ep was pretty alright. I don't feel like I wholly get this show quite yet, mostly because it's providing the bare minimum for characterization and relying on the art and animation to carry it (though it is really good art and animation)

Next episode seems to be more plot-heavy, so we'll see if my interest maintains itself for next week

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Cocona's study time is going to suffer :ohdear:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/yakidonatu95/status/786255652393881600

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Something about this one makes me think Splatoon for some reason.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

oh my god they became dust bunnies

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Erg posted:

motherfucker

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Episode 2 was also really good! if not quite as arresting as the first.

Everyone who saw Papika flying was barely freaked out at all, that was weird. It made me think I missed something. I loved the bait-and-switch of Papika getting a fancy dress instead of a uniform. The Pure Illusion this time was really neat, and again reminded me of Kaiba. Papika being unrecognizable until Cocona, well, recognized her was really neat. The show's been a bit skeevier than I care for (thinking particularly of the shots where Cocona grew ears/tail, but there've been some other bits too), but not by much and it's ignorable, so I don't think I'll bring it up again. Uexkull (or however it's spelled) in the PI was really neat, and I loved the characterization they managed to give him with no lines and little screen time. FlipFlap is shady as gently caress, but it's too early to tell if that's just for effect or if they're actually sinister. I'd thought the latter until Salt's advice to keep a fragment on her, which seemed paternal in a good way. So I guess I'm leaning towards not sinister, though I could still easily see them becoming the endgame villains due to differing visions.

I'm still in awe at how good the ED is, an episode could probably be pretty bad and I would still come away with positive feelings after it.

Spiritus Nox posted:

-Cocona's grandma creeps me out and I'm not sure yet how intentional that is.

:same:

Spiritus Nox posted:

-Flip flap, flip flap...

Sakurazuka posted:

I

I'm so confused

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Isn't the advice pretty pragmatic, though? The lab put an anklet on Papika to hold one of the fragments, and the this episode confirms that they're the key to the transformations; Papika's fragment glowed this episode, so presumably when Cocona had it last time it was in her skirt pocket.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
it was more the way it was delivered, really

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Erg posted:

Ha!

Hahaha!

You know I'm surprised, I think I actually like this show. Who'd have loving thought.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

it was more the way it was delivered, really

Well, an rear end in a top hat with shaggy hair who begrudgingly grows a heart, is always good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't like the first episode that much but I'm much more on board after the second episode.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Good episode. I was really annoyed with Papika's refusal to take no for an answer at the beginning, but she actually ended up apologizing for it, so she's probably not going to be a super-annoying character in the future.

This part of Pure Illusion was a lot trippier than the part they visited in the first episode. I love the bizarre dream logic of those segments.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

FLIP FLAP FLIP FLAP

I don't know if this song is ever going to leave my head

i am reasonably sure it is never leaving mine

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So for anyone wanting to read way too much into details, the rabbit is named after some guy called Jakob von Uexküll who came up with Umwelt

Umwelt posted:

Uexküll was interested in how living beings perceive their environment(s). Uexküll argued that organisms perceived the experience of living in terms of species-specific, spatio-temporal, 'self-in-world' subjective reference frames that he called Umwelt (translated as milieu, situation, embedding-lit. German for environment). These Umwelten (plural of Umwelt) are distinctive from what Uexküll termed the "Umgebung" which would be the living being's surroundings as seen from the likewise peculiar perspective or Umwelt of the observer. The umwelt is composed of two parts, the innenwelt or self-oriented features, and the Umgebung, or world-oriented features. Together, they describe the individual's subjective viewpoint, or embedding, which has the property of being ubiquitous, as compared to the observer's objective viewpoint, which has the property of being universal. Subjectivity and objectivity are important topics in Philosophy of Mind.

Taking a subjective viewpoint and making it into objective reality seems an apt way to describe Pure Illusion, personally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That ties in pretty well with Papika not having a form until Cocona recognises her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hmmmm

• Locked thread