Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

That was like every other interaction they had in the anime

I think he meant their excursion to the gay tapdancing dimension. Complete with natty Fred Astaire outfits.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pollyanna posted:

Didn't follow this show - did it turn out good?

I think the back half was a little weaker than the first half, but the ending is rock-solid, so.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Spiritus Nox posted:

I now want a bonus episode about Papika and Cocona's first lovers' spat.

:confused: But they already had it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

if anyone else is wondering, I will also say "yes watch this show".

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Binged this show over a few day. Thanks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nine of Eight posted:

Binged this show over a few day. Thanks.

Did you like it?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
It was super fun. Enough that I'm considering an AV change.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Nine of Eight posted:

It was super fun. Enough that I'm considering an AV change.

It better be a good one.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hm, yes, good

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
https://twitter.com/relaxed75/status/830463072586256386

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Absolutely haram

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Watched this on a lark a week ago, gorgeous show, though the later part seemed pretty rough to me. I really felt the ending was rushed and the plot was pretty uninteresting, I enjoyed the show more when it was just a new genre world every week. I got a real Space Dandy vibe from it and, I guess that was for good reason.

For real though, I genuinely thought I had missed an episode or 2 near the end, it just rushed by so fast.

So did I miss something or do the motivations regarding the 'bad organization' in regards to Cocona and the yellow haired girl make zero sense? Like the twins keep ragging on her for being nice to Cocona but later it was revealed that they made her became Cocona's friend in the first place to watch over her, so why in the hell would she lose standing with them for keeping her alive?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Artwork from the 5th bluray volume.

:hai:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The blu-ray art has all been ridiculously good.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It took me like 30 minutes to figure out, but it makes perfect sense that the boring, drab, super-realistic world with no adventure is Cocona's Pure Illusion and that made the ending make a billion times more sense.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 2, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kylra posted:

It took me like 30 minutes to figure out, but it makes perfect sense that the boring, drab, super-realistic world with no adventure is Cocona's Pure Illusion and that made the ending make a billion times more sense.

More like a facet of it. The world from Episode 1 - a version of Cocona's home covered in beautiful, cold, but sweet snow; and filled with massive, scary, unknowable creatures is ALSO Cocona's Pure Illusion. The world from the finale was more of a brief nightmare she had when she was afraid that she was never going to see Papika again. Although I like to imagine that basically every world we visit is at least influenced by Cocona's own perspective.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I never bought into it being distinct worlds based on whoever entered first or something, but a very compressed hyperspace where proximity to people in the real world is what shapes it. Arguably it's just that the person who enters 'first' happens to be the nearest, and others who enter tend to end up nearby. Finding a door to someone's mind is a matter of starting close enough and then traveling to it, though actually getting there might not be orthographically consistent such that it may just be dumb luck to find one.

So I guess it really is the Warp from 40k, or it really is just two girls candyflipping hard in the woods and thinking it's been a week instead of a few hours and then one's mom shows up to take her home.

This show is great like that.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Ranzear posted:

So I guess it really is the Warp from 40k, or it really is just two girls candyflipping hard in the woods and thinking it's been a week instead of a few hours and then one's mom shows up to take her home.

This show is great like that.

LET'S GO CRAZY BROADWAY STYLE

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Spiritus Nox posted:

More like a facet of it. The world from Episode 1 - a version of Cocona's home covered in beautiful, cold, but sweet snow; and filled with massive, scary, unknowable creatures is ALSO Cocona's Pure Illusion. The world from the finale was more of a brief nightmare she had when she was afraid that she was never going to see Papika again. Although I like to imagine that basically every world we visit is at least influenced by Cocona's own perspective.
Massive scary unknowable creatures covered and hidden by sweet snow doesn't seem like episode 1 Cocona to me, so that doesn't seem right. Perhaps that is the grandma.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kylra posted:

Massive scary unknowable creatures covered and hidden by sweet snow doesn't seem like episode 1 Cocona to me, so that doesn't seem right. Perhaps that is the grandma.

The big scary creatures aren't Cocona, I don't think - they're how she perceives other people. The sweet snow is more reflective of Cocona herself at that point in the story - she has an air of being cold and aloof but actually has a very sweet disposition when she can get past her anxieties.

https://twitter.com/FLIP_FLAPPERS/status/852491544317747200

Also the blu-ray art on this show has been ridiculously good.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also the blu-ray Art on this show has been ridiculously good.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I just started watching this series this week thanks to the Magical Girl Thread. I'm just finished episode 5 and :stare: . Episodes 1-3 were pretty fun and floaty but things are suddenly getting confusing and dark. The school with the loop is nightmare inducing and the whole thing with the Aunt is haunting. But I still really like the series and am curious where this goes. So many questions, I hope they get answered.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Revolver Bunker posted:

I just started watching this series this week thanks to the Magical Girl Thread. I'm just finished episode 5 and :stare: . Episodes 1-3 were pretty fun and floaty but things are suddenly getting confusing and dark. The school with the loop is nightmare inducing and the whole thing with the Aunt is haunting. But I still really like the series and am curious where this goes. So many questions, I hope they get answered.

qrE3Tlnqs

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

a kitten posted:

qrE3Tlnqs

At first I had the volume really low so I read that and got confused on what they were translating. I upped the volume and then immediately set it back down. Some terrifying noise I don't need.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's a great episode.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Yuri road, gokigenyo, and small ojisan are my favourite episodes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm particularly fond of The Void Episode, though Gokigenyo, Auntie, and The Papika Episode are all great as well.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i still think one of the episodes is an eternal sunshine homage

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I powered through the rest of the episodes last night and stuff got dark quick. I felt like Cocona at times going "I didn't know about this?! Why is this happenening?". Overall very good but felt rushed at the end. I'm glad it had a happy ending for Cocona and Papika; even Yayaya got a happy ending. :3:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I watched the last episode again last night because the first time I saw it I was half asleep. There are a few things that I'm not sure about with the episode. Was Papika trapped in limbo after getting Cocona from Mimi? If so how did she get there and where did Cocona go? Her hair seems much longer when she's naked and unconscious on the floor as compared to when Mimi vanishes. How was Cocona able to find Papika years later? Is this part of her "dreams" that she's had growing up? It seems like when she dreams she either ports over or mentally ports over to the Pure Illusion Limbo world. And it seems like Cocona never really learns who her father is as no one ever really states it to her; not that it matters as Salt is almost as bad a dad as Gendo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

I watched the last episode again last night because the first time I saw it I was half asleep. There are a few things that I'm not sure about with the episode. Was Papika trapped in limbo after getting Cocona from Mimi? If so how did she get there and where did Cocona go? Her hair seems much longer when she's naked and unconscious on the floor as compared to when Mimi vanishes. How was Cocona able to find Papika years later? Is this part of her "dreams" that she's had growing up? It seems like when she dreams she either ports over or mentally ports over to the Pure Illusion Limbo world. And it seems like Cocona never really learns who her father is as no one ever really states it to her; not that it matters as Salt is almost as bad a dad as Gendo.

The answer to a lot of those questions is "eh, who cares, the show's much more interested in Cocona's emotional journey than the precise mechanics of any of the magic involved," but here's my read:

-Papikana dives into Pure Illusion after Mimi, who promptly shatters into itty bits, leaving Papikana and baby Cocona stranded in Pure Illusion.
-Papikana is de-aged and for all practical purposes reincarnated as Papika during her sleep in limbo.
-Cocona is either rescued or simply magics herself back to reality sooner than later. Either way she ends up in the hands of Asclepius.
-A young, but no-longer infant Cocona meets and befriends Papika in her dreams - travelling to Pure Illusion in her sleep the same way she did when she was having her occasional visions of Mimi throughout the series.
-Papika resurfaces at some point. This is the iffiest question, but I like to imagine that Salt continued working with Asclepius a while longer after the disaster that destroyed the lab, was involved with whatever process drew Papika back into reality, and promptly escaped with her to found FlipFlap and try and prevent Asclepius from recovering the fragments.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Spiritus Nox posted:

The answer to a lot of those questions is "eh, who cares, the show's much more interested in Cocona's emotional journey than the precise mechanics of any of the magic involved," but here's my read:

-Papikana dives into Pure Illusion after Mimi, who promptly shatters into itty bits, leaving Papikana and baby Cocona stranded in Pure Illusion.
-Papikana is de-aged and for all practical purposes reincarnated as Papika during her sleep in limbo.
-Cocona is either rescued or simply magics herself back to reality sooner than later. Either way she ends up in the hands of Asclepius.
-A young, but no-longer infant Cocona meets and befriends Papika in her dreams - travelling to Pure Illusion in her sleep the same way she did when she was having her occasional visions of Mimi throughout the series.
-Papika resurfaces at some point. This is the iffiest question, but I like to imagine that Salt continued working with Asclepius a while longer after the disaster that destroyed the lab, was involved with whatever process drew Papika back into reality, and promptly escaped with her to found FlipFlap and try and prevent Asclepius from recovering the fragments.

That makes sense. Its about what I was assuming. And you're right the last bit is the most up in the air. I really did enjoy Cocona's excellent adventures into her psyche and emotions. Ultimately she comes out a much stronger individual and its an all around happy ending for everyone. :3:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

flip flap
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/857688420092489728
flip flap

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Did they ever announce mini episodes with the blu rays? I need my SoL flip flappers :saddowns:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Papika :smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished flapping the flips. V good show, I liked it a lot :3: It's jarring to see the usual weird little-girl-sexual stuff you see in magical girl shows when you're coming right off of Madoka, but I managed to power through that.

I feel a little bad for Yayaka and I hope she finds happiness.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
you've been watching the wrong sorts of magical girl shows, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

COCONA EAT THE CARROTS

• Locked thread