Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jagged Jim posted:

^Hehe Papika's got buttwings.

I thought they did an excellent job mixing Fist of the North Star, Mad Max, and Pretty Cure this episode and I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Also sharing this:

:perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zBaKgJr7Ss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh my god :allears:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Which is amusing because the transformations in episode three literally stole all its poses from Sailor Moon. They just weren't glowing shadows like in that.

ok I don't love the panty shots but that's pretty funny

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

holy gently caress.

See it in 2D and 2D :lol:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

lmao

it was good, and then the last few seconds, and it was great

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Well this is very weird. But I think I might end up enjoying it.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

holy poo poo

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I also didn't like episode 3 quite as much as the previous two, but it still had tons to like and the plot stuff introduced towards the end was very interesting. I hope they do more stuff like episode 2 though in terms of animation, everything looked so beautiful and colourful that even if everything else sucked I would have still liked it. I got extremely big Yuasa vibes from that which obviously is great. Really surprised at how much I like this, I wasn't expecting anything particularly good but I think it's the best new show I've seen in years. Is this an adaptation of a manga or is it new? And how many episodes are they going for?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Paperhouse posted:

I also didn't like episode 3 quite as much as the previous two, but it still had tons to like and the plot stuff introduced towards the end was very interesting. I hope they do more stuff like episode 2 though in terms of animation, everything looked so beautiful and colourful that even if everything else sucked I would have still liked it. I got extremely big Yuasa vibes from that which obviously is great. Really surprised at how much I like this, I wasn't expecting anything particularly good but I think it's the best new show I've seen in years. Is this an adaptation of a manga or is it new? And how many episodes are they going for?

It's original, anime-first, and it's going for 13 episodes.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I'm surprised so many people disliked episode 3! I really dug it, definitely cemented my fondness for the show. It was such a fond pastiche of magical girl and action anime + mad max-esque desert chicanery! The first two episodes had stronger creativity in scenery and animation, but there was a lot I enjoyed in this one.

The only thing I'm hesitant about is the villain organization. They felt a bit cliche, but I don't know if that's just the presentation of the episode or what. I'm definitely going to stick around for more of this, in any case.

edit: i just remembered the robot friend going all grabby at the gagged women. that was bad. i didn't mind the transformation sequences or most of the other stuff but i disliked the robot friend doing that a lot. it wasn't good and it didn't make me laugh. not relatable, 0/5 for the robot friend.

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 25, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

madoka max!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Is it just me, or does that Dr. Salt guy really look like Kakyoin?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm curious to see if papika is some kind of clone or something and who the dead girl who was dressed like her at the beginning of ep1 was

Now that yayakas group has been introduced I'm assuming they had something to do with it

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

site posted:

I'm curious to see if papika is some kind of clone or something and who the dead girl who was dressed like her at the beginning of ep1 was

i figured they were testing for her partner, since you need two to flip flap. that's when she decided to bust out and go look for her compatible half

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Space Flower posted:

i figured they were testing for her partner, since you need two to flip flap. that's when she decided to bust out and go look for her compatible half

I thought of that but it seems like yayaka has been keeping tabs on cocona not just because they're friends but because she's (was up until the start of the show) potentially a magical girl so i figured if they could sense her out maybe they could do that with others and were killing them to keep flipflap from getting a team together

/readingwaytoomuchintoit.txt

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

site posted:

I thought of that but it seems like yayaka has been keeping tabs on cocona not just because they're friends but because she's (was up until the start of the show) potentially a magical girl so i figured if they could sense her out maybe they could do that with others and were killing them to keep flipflap from getting a team together

/readingwaytoomuchintoit.txt

This theory raises the question of why Yayaka hasn't killed Cocona yet, don't you think?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If they really are long time friends it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to assume she would rather just keep cocona out of it instead of killing her friend if possible

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

site posted:

If they really are long time friends it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to assume she would rather just keep cocona out of it instead of killing her friend if possible

You'd think Head Klansman would put his foot down, though.

...Although, I suppose we don't really know much about the Klan besides their preferred dress attire so far, so eh.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Although, I suppose we don't really know much about the Klan besides their preferred dress attire so far, so eh.

And the fact they captured Papika at the end of episode 1 yet seemed to have let her go for whatever reason.

They're probably watching Flip Flap's progress and intercepting where needed like they did in episode 3.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

And the fact they captured Papika at the end of episode 1 yet seemed to have let her go for whatever reason.

They're probably watching Flip Flap's progress and intercepting where needed like they did in episode 3.

Oh poo poo, I almost forgot about that.

...And yeah, my first impulse was that Papika must have just fought her way out, but then I remembered that she didn't know how to henshin yet, and who knows if she can even do that outside of PI... Weird.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mokinokaro posted:

Oh yeah i forgot about that they haven't explained that yet huh

Although that leads to asking why the leader guy acted as if he'd never seen papika before if they kidnapped her once already

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm gonna guess Salt's group did that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

I'm gonna guess Salt's group did that.

Then they're using similar equipment which raises more interesting questions. Is Salt a rogue agent from Yayaka's group?

Was that the end of Papika (2?) and now we're following Papika 3?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Was that the end of Papika (2?) and now we're following Papika 3?

...Oh poo poo. This actually makes way too much sense. It would kinda explain her superhuman strength (even before henshin-ing) and her lack of regard for her own safety if she's a clone - like Rei or something.

Edit: ...although, on second thought it seems unlikely that the Papika we saw get netted by the robots at the end of episode 1 died, considering that 2 made a point of highlighting how beat up she looked when Cocona saw her again - presumably leftover injuries from either the big mammoth things or the robot dudes.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 26, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I had the same thought after posting.

I think it's actually a little suspicious she shows up the next day in the exact same outfit too (which given the odd plugs is probably intended for testing.)

My current theory is Papika's actually from Pure Illusion. It would explain her slightly more cartoonish expressions and why she's so at home there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I had the same thought after posting.

I think it's actually a little suspicious she shows up the next day in the exact same outfit too (which given the odd plugs is probably intended for testing.)

My current theory is Papika's actually from Pure Illusion. It would explain her slightly more cartoonish expressions and why she's so at home there.

If, as I suspect, Pure Illusion is shaped by the subconsciouses of those who enter it, then that raises the possibility of Papika being Cocona's literal dream girl.

Which would explain quite a lot, really.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

If, as I suspect, Pure Illusion is shaped by the subconsciouses of those who enter it, then that raises the possibility of Papika being Cocona's literal dream girl.

Which would explain quite a lot, really.

What about the fact that Cocona met her in the real world before ever setting foot in Pure Illusion?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

What about the fact that Cocona met her in the real world before ever setting foot in Pure Illusion?

Well, if she's been there before in her childhood, and if PI entities can leak out...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fair enough - this would also be a suitable explanation for how Cocona already had a fragment. Papika being the literal dream girl would be very :3:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Spiritus Nox posted:

Fair enough - this would also be a suitable explanation for how Cocona already had a fragment. Papika being the literal dream girl would be very :3:

As wonderful a concept as that is, I worry that if true it could lead to a very depressing ending.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xinder posted:

As wonderful a concept as that is, I worry that if true it could lead to a very depressing ending.

I guess this depends on whether Papika is really a complete person, rather than a construct built of Cocona's repressed desires (like the monster in the last episode, if this theory turns out to be true). In that case, the happier ending may be for them to not end up together, but for Cocona to make her dreams reality and pursue a relationship with an actual girl (and Yayaka sure seems interested).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I guess this depends on whether Papika is really a complete person, rather than a construct built of Cocona's repressed desires (like the monster in the last episode, if this theory turns out to be true). In that case, the happier ending may be for them to not end up together, but for Cocona to make her dreams reality and pursue a relationship with an actual girl (and Yayaka sure seems interested).

I dunno about that - it's still early, obviously, but I've gotten the impression that Yayaka's gonna be more of an agent of conformity, pushing for Cocona to suppress deviant desires and be like all the normies... Although I suppose they could have a redemption arc for her or something similar.

This is all still spitballing at this point, of course, but it's fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I dunno about that - it's still early, obviously, but I've gotten the impression that Yayaka's gonna be more of an agent of conformity, pushing for Cocona to suppress deviant desires and be like all the normies... Although I suppose they could have a redemption arc for her or something similar.

This is all still spitballing at this point, of course, but it's fun.

The catch is, of course, that Yayaka's attempts to enforce conformity ring hollow. She's clearly more motivated by desire for Cocona than any serious regard for the rules (remember when she almost confessed something to her while blushing?), and she herself is an adventurer in the chaos of Pure Illusion. She's not just an avatar of the real world, but someone going through their own struggle, and that struggle has some pretty heavy parallels with Cocona's.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The catch is, of course, that Yayaka's attempts to enforce conformity ring hollow. She's clearly more motivated by desire for Cocona than any serious regard for the rules (remember when she almost confessed something to her while blushing?), and she herself is an adventurer in the chaos of Pure Illusion. She's not just an avatar of the real world, but someone going through their own struggle, and that struggle has some pretty heavy parallels with Cocona's.

Yeah, this is all a fair read - though it's also possible that she's more of a dark mirror, showing someone who has those 'deviant' desires and would be happier if they acted on them, but chooses to suppress them in order to fit in and is ultimately broken by the existential angst that results from that sort of self-denial. Just gonna have to wait and see.

...gently caress, there's more Flip Flappers tomorrow but I want it noooooooooow

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 26, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If they're pushing some of the Pretty Cure parallels as hard as they seem to be, Yayaka's likely the villain who joins the heroines midseason.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Xinder posted:

and then we get the sequel where Cocona's part of a pop group/pirate team looking for some way to bring Papika back, right?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New episode was fun, as close to a breather as I expect to get from this show. Wouldn't say we really learned a whole lot in terms of concrete stuff, but I think the show definitely needed an episode like this establishing some chemistry between Cocona and Papika under normal(ish) circumstances, and it pulled it off very well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

New episode was fun, as close to a breather as I expect to get from this show. Wouldn't say we really learned a whole lot in terms of concrete stuff, but I think the show definitely needed an episode like this establishing some chemistry between Cocona and Papika under normal(ish) circumstances, and it pulled it off very well.

Agreed. I thought the episode was nice for its character work, and we still got some neat visuals with Papika's house thing even though it was mostly (I think) in the real world (?).

What was up with the end of this episode, though? So far we've always seen them enter PI through extant holes. This time we get ... uh ... a hole in the sky?

• Locked thread