Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toga
Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

huh

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Is there like, an aspect of that question you would like more elaboration on or like what? That the show feels like Doctor Who to me is good, I feel like that is straight forward enough to understand. Have you not seen Doctor Who? What context would you like?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

This doesn't feel like Dr. Who to me at all beyond maybe the surface level part where they travel to different places each episode

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is there like, an aspect of that question you would like more elaboration on or like what? That the show feels like Doctor Who to me is good, I feel like that is straight forward enough to understand. Have you not seen Doctor Who? What context would you like?

i have seen dr. who

flip flappers is not a very similar show to dr. who

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

*Fart noises*

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Raenir Salazar posted:

Papika is a quirky character kind of like the Doctor? That's an extremely huge stretch, but that's all I can imagine you're talking about because I see no other similarities.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
The superwholockiflipflaps fan base grows stronger

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The similarities between the show are that Papika is a space case (though honestly that's more of a Matt Smith thing than the Doctor) and the companionship is central to the show. Thematically the shows could have less to do with each other. FliFla is a coming of age story with some unsettling undertones and Doctor Who.....what exactly are the themes of that show?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
They aren't similar imo because Doctor Who sucks and Flip Flappers is extremely good

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

They aren't similar imo because Doctor Who sucks and Flip Flappers is extremely good

well yeah, one's and the other's

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
so like.

what does bu-chan even do besides being a robo-creeper

and occasionally carrying the rabbit around

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
he's probably supposed to be keeping an eye on cocona and papika

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There's been a couple times at least where flipflap base is showing data on screen that they're getting from bu and it can apparently detect fragments on some sort of radar

^^ yeah it obviously trails along with papika wherever she goes too

site fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 30, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i also wouldn't be surprised if bu's brain is from someone important or at least in some way related to the story going forward

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What's the chance Bu's brain in Cocona's dad's, and Papika is a clone of her mom?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

very low, hopefully

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I also fully expect the brain thing to not be acknowledged again either. It really was framed as a sight gag.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I also fully expect the brain thing to not be acknowledged again either. It really was framed as a sight gag.

I could see it coming back up if FlipFlap turns out to be evil, which is still a possibility - albeit less so now that we've established that the Klan is a separate entity.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

-"This stuff is edible, right?" "I'm eating it!" Sound logic.

This was actually slightly better of a joke in the Japanese, it was more like: "You can eat this, right?" "Yeah, I am eating it?" Literally it was two different conjugations of the same verb, the "can you do X" and the "am doing X" forms.

Space Flower posted:

i dunno about japanese architecturing to know if this is coincidence or not. but nice synchro episode

That style of concrete wall is basically the standard (at least in Tokyo). It was originally just the generic "prefab concrete wall," so you'd see it in stuff like parking garages/outside of buildings/places under construction/etc., but it's become so "popular"(???) that it's even used on the inside of residential apartments sometimes. I was looking at new apartments not too long ago, and one even wallpaper that was designed to looked like it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it looks good

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Xinder posted:

Papika is a quirky character kind of like the Doctor? That's an extremely huge stretch, but that's all I can imagine you're talking about because I see no other similarities.

The first two episodes gave me a stronger impression then the later two episodes which veered more strongly into Magical Girl tropes; the general idea of having adventures in strange alien worlds where there's wonder and danger to be had in equal measure; where the normal "human" companion serves as foil to the quirky inscrutable "alien" with both individuals holding each other up and trying to understand each other; this is the core narrative theme of pretty much any season of Doctor Who and I felt that they were strongly comparable.

But I made my original comment only seen episodes 1&2, episodes 3&4 move away from that and goes in it's own direction so my initial impressions weren't born out.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 31, 2016

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

A big flaming stink posted:

Not going to get into Yayaka right now since I could probably write an entire page on her alone this episode.

I'm sensing a strong feeling of betrayal from Yayaka, like she feels that what's happening with Cocona was supposed to happen with her, and not this stranger. She was physically hostile with Papika, but she tried to get Cocona to join her even as she acted cold towards her.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I haven't watched much anime recently but this has the best ED theme I've heard in a while

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The yonic symbolism is goddamn hilarious in this show

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

The yonic symbolism is goddamn hilarious in this show

https://twitter.com/Hitokiri1/status/791783966508363776

...Hm.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

checks out

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Man, weird foreshadowing is great! I desperately wanted to see what painter girl's painting was of. I suspect it is a case where we'll find out later and it will be kind of a shock/will be evidence of PI leaking into reality or something.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

subtle

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New episode was good. Spooky Yuri Town was a fun theme. Thoughts:

-Interesting that it apparently helps P&C transform if they have an object to focus on. I guess the idea is probably to give them something to help remind them of the emotions that drive their transformations.

-Interesting that Yayaka first showed up all dolled up just like everyone else. Between that and how long she apparently farted around before realizing what was up, I very much doubt that her 'mindset' (coughcoughOrientationcough) was as different from Cocona's as she bragged.

-Between how in sync the creepy twins are and Bu-chan doing a simultaenous male/female symbol upon seeing them together, I wonder if they're actually separate people or just two aspects of a single entity.

-So with today's PI being a straight up recreation of Cocona's school + nightmarish imagery + a whole lot of lillies, I feel like it's all but confirmed that PI reacts to the mind of those who enter the same way something out of Persona would.

-This creates an interesting feedback loop when it starts amplifying the feelings of those who enter. We obviously saw it at work with P&C getting increasingly cuddly with each loop they went through. Makes me feel more certain that Papika, being almost entirely driven by moment-to-moment emotion and desire, originally comes from PI.

-I'm pretty sure that, by the time we reach the point where Cocona is closing her eyes and literally puckers up for a kiss that first time Yayaka leans in to tell her what's going on, Cocona being into girls has stopped being subtext and become just a fact of the show.

-That confrontation at the end of the episode was pretty interesting. Still not sure whether or not any of the kids are actually capable of using their powers in the 'real' world.

-Also, Papika not telling Cocona what the whole quest is for is beginning to really loom large. They're clearly on course for some sort of falling out if Papika doesn't tell her before it's too late. ...Although I suppose it's possible that Papika doesn't entirely understand what it's purpose is either. We don't know what Salt's told her, let alone what his actual game is.

-Flip flap, flip flap...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is probably the best episode so far

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

♫ Spooky Scary Lesbians... ♫

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But uh what happened to the ending of the previous episode? They got sucked into sun hole PI and then???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

nielsm posted:

But uh what happened to the ending of the previous episode? They got sucked into sun hole PI and then???

they flashed images of the world they visited for like two seconds

they went there and then yayaka beat them again

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The first half was like a horror movie it was great. I'm really digging how this show is willing to be tonally different from episode to episode

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Can't believe I got fooled twice by the creepy schoolgirls, first thinking they were bad, then thinking they were nice but creepy only to be sucker punched that they were running a honeypot trap with the nice act.

10/10 would like being fooled again.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

they flashed images of the world they visited for like two seconds

they went there and then yayaka beat them again

Twice, in fact. Early in the episode they're complaining that Yayaka's beaten them to 3 amorphous, as of Episode 4 we'd only seen them do that once.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I really like what they do with colour in this. Also all the faces.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Can't wait for more fantastic PI worlds. Also they should kiss already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I hope we get a good reason why Cocona has not demanded or been given a straight answer about what's going on from anyone, especially Yayaka.

I do this because lost causes are romantic.

• Locked thread