Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Just finished it. That was cool and good, and while Papikana being thrown into the mix made me a little uncomfortable, I was on board for the same reason as this thread seemed to.

Also, episode 5 was probably my favourite one. It was creepy and chilling and great. I'm happy I experienced this underrated show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's an interview with the director up:

http://pastebin.com/raw/nr2UqrWw

In japanese, so here's a google translate:

quote:

"" I do not know what is interesting but I will see it is the best compliment "
Interview with Kiyomasa Oshama

Challenging esoteric subjects
First film director's fight

- Please tell me from the circumstances that first became involved in this work.

Oshiyama: The first opportunity is the encounter between Mr. Matsuya (Yuichiro) who is the current representative director of 3 Hz and Kubo (Hideaki) who is doing the desk this time. When the two people were in Kinema citrus there was a project that said "Let's work together" It did not come true after all, but when two people later quit Kinema citrus and launch 3 Hz (Around March 2013) I was talking about "I'd like to do something together at 3 Hz". At 3 Hz, there is a company theme "I want to make original works" and I also wanted to do the original, so the project of this work started to move.

It was about the summer of 2013 that started specifically.

I and the members Matsuke, Kubo, Nagaya (Keiyuki), Okada (Kunihiko) camped out, but at that time thematic subjects such as "go through the hole and adventure in a different world" are almost decided It was.

- Whose proposal is "to enter a hole and go to another world"?

Oshiyama: When I got a director's story, it was decided that "Space Opera", "The main character is two girls", "It's not like battleships getting stunned or aliens coming out, etc. From the place where I can not do space opera that people in the world are not doing "is my idea.

- When did you switch from the original Space Opera to a road movie story about Pure Illusion?

Oshiyama: From the time the idea of ​​the hole was adopted. In the early stages of the project I was watching the story that "viewers will not follow if it develops too much stress." So, if something happens in the play, I wonder if the motivation of the viewer will not continue unless I let him settle in that round. In the first half, as much as possible hold each happy ending, making a draw in the C part at the end and talking about how to make a baton touch to the next time was from the initial stage.

- You are also focused on depicting battle and action, right?

Oshiyama: That is because I wanted to make it a slightly outstanding work among a few works because I was unknown (laugh). I also have a section that I thought was mostly a career as an animator, and if it is almost an amateur as a director, if I can not compete with animation, it will be buried in other works. " But I personally had no idea "I want to make" Furihura "an action animation. From the producer side, there is a proposal that you want elements such as "girls transform," "use big weapons", "make two transformations one time" and so on, the result action elements taken in It became a strong work. Fortunately, I am relatively good at drafting actions, I drew consciously about contained containers that contain good animators that do not flinch. The action scene has good screen shine to express the dynamism of animation. Although I am going to a different world with much effort, it is a waste not to move at all. As a result, I think that it has become one of the important constituent elements to form this work by spreading the range of the work by adding flashy actions.

- You are moving fancy from the OP.

Oshiyama: I'm smoking that "it's a flashy work." However, I do not think that OP and main part are moving so much in me (laugh) ", so I'm thankful that everyone is praising" I'm moving ". Compared to my past work, it is not that much moving, and friends of animators who know me understand that "Oshiyama, although it is the first episode, I have not moved it at all" (laugh) ).

Building a mysterious world
Message in the video

- You are putting more emphasis on events related to Pure Ily Yujong than action.

Oshiki: That's right. There are a lot of people who feel interesting if you add variations of stories around human thought and the multifaceted aspect of viewpoint but on the other hand it is difficult to do with pure illusion too much. Although I knew that the risk is also very difficult commercially as Tema, "I am still young, so I can eat it with animator even if I fail as a director" (laugh) I stepped in. As of now, I'm thinking that "I did not have to be fooled first at first" I think. I do not think that I can draw pure illusion in all 13 episodes (laugh).

- Although many parodies and metaphors are packed in the movie of this work, are the director himself familiar with such subjects?

Oshiyama: I just put in my favorite stuff and it is not detailed in many ways. Basically, they are made to understand the story without noticing these stories, and in terms of making screens, "Information I want to add elements that can complement ". Also, since this illusion is one of the themes of illusion, it was one of my personal themes to pursue what "what you can do with picture making" in the illusion part. Another thing is that we simply liked such subjects originally. In the past, about the ring world (* the idea that all animals live with species-specific perception world and act as their subjects, respectively), behavioral theory of living things, analytic psychology, etc., animal behaviorist Hidaka I have read Toshitaka's easy-to-understand books, though. A famous psychologist named Kawai Hayao, who is talking about psychology, myths and folk tales, was invited and his book was also a hint. The pure illusion of this work is close to the ring world, and the multifacetality of the world inherent in living organisms is also one of the themes, so if you associate it with psychology, it might be compatible. It is a feeling that I have included a lot of thoughtful stories around that. Actually, the 18th episode of "Space ☆ Dandy" (Director Oshama was in charge of the legged storyboard contest, directing / drawing director), but such elements are probably included, but nobody notices (laugh).

For each purely illusion of each story I do not mention who the world is in the play, but after seeing it and imagining "Is this the world of that character?" Feeling it is aimed is not it. Of course, as a producer, I have decided to a certain extent, but I do not want to make it so clear. Since things that can be hints of reasoning are mixed in the video, I think that you can read and understand in the way. However, recently I'd like to have fun try not to feel as stressful as possible. "Because I think that there are many people who wish to watch television vaguely as they come back from work tired, so that we can enjoy it fluently as a story of girls' junior high school students , Emphasis is placed on attractively drawing characters rather than stories, and lily elements are packed up. Those who want to see it comfortably, those who want to be considered, I think that what kind of way of enjoying can be done. So, I'm very happy to hear that you are seeing twitter "I do not know what's interesting but I do not see it" or "I do not know what is being pulled by".

Speaking of the image side, please tell me about tanu's appointment.

Oshiyama: I was a producer-side recommendation for tanu's appointment, but I was asking for concept art. At first I was talking about "How about a character design?", Since it was a part I wanted to control on the site side, it is very encouraging that there is someone who can think about the visual image of the whole world than that, I asked, "I am better that way" I mentioned. Also, I did not want to make it similar to the works I made. For some original animation work, the original draft character is tanu, and other staff also wear it well with this work (laugh).

- What kind of work is concept art?

Oshiyama: While I was at the same time parallel with the script, I was asked to ask "Please draw something image illustration" about the pure illusion world, but after the screenplay went up in the second half, Mr. Matsuya Let's ask tanu to talk to you "and it was a feeling to meet with tanu. Regarding the character, it is sometimes to get idea from Mr. tanu at an overview point, but basically it was a feeling that "Because such a place appears in the work, please give me some idea". Tell the image of me and ask the artist to deliver what I'm likely to go as it is to visualize early and finish the board. I used it as one of the materials that can explain the atmosphere.

- As you asked for work, did you explain to tanu about the character and the world setting?

Oshiyama: It changed the way of explanation depending on things. Basically, if I explain it in detail, I thought that I could make something that is not different from my image, so I kept asking for the detailed setting part to be ambiguous. After the time has gone, I do not have a concrete image yet, I feel like I made my own image while explaining to tanu. I am saved from tanu by having a lot of sensibility that I do not have.

Playful and commitment
Selection in a free position

- Have you had any difficulties in making this visual's visual?

Oshiyama: Because it is still original animation. Since there was nothing to be the base and the situation where the staff could not be aligned well, it was a lot of work that I had to do on my own. I had secured working hours compared to other works, but still it was not enough. But I will do the only thing I can do.

Speaking of good things, there is no way hesitantly mixed various kinds of material because he is a director. If this is a different position, even if there are various ideas, is not it hard to do, because the idea of ​​"Does the manager match the work?" Or "What do you think?" Comes first. On that occasion, if the director decided to decide arbitrarily after the painting story, there is a part which is permitted, and we devoted plenty of material. If there is no way to be selfish, I think that it got a thinner screen.

- I am in charge of the script in the seventh episode, but is the director's hand also in regard to the overall story?

Oshiki: That's right. When the concept of the work was decided, I joined Yuni Aya and assembled the composition jointly. In the second half, when asking Hayashi (Naoki) to write a script, since all the things to do already have been decided, it seems that it was arranged in the style of screenplay. Because the schedule was imminent, Hayashi was there and I was really saved. As for the first half of the story, I decided what to do at each time by myself, I feel that each scriptwriter added the favorite elements. Ms. Aya got a good lily element to be included in the work. I think that the viewer of today is very important as an easy-to-find element.

- Does the director have a commitment to "Yuri" himself?

Oshiyama: I am not that close. I just feel like I just seized the line of 'do not do it' or 'do not step over' just as I was talking to from Ayano. While saying that in seventh episode I guessed somewhat breaking the rules. In the times when various kinds of personality's Papika appears, boys-like papika comes out. In a lilitic point of view, I knew that 'I do not want to get the same generation of boys into cocona much,' I heard that Papito and Papya were also in the body of a girl in me However, it seems that Kojima Kyodo-kun wanted to be a boy (lol), there is a part that is rather a man's form. Even with Papillo, my first sketch was rolling out a handbread on my chest, making me feel like "to the last woman." Also in the eighth episode, Otchan's boy of the same generation comes out, but he also made it smaller to make it not look the same as the cocona.

--What do you think is the times when the director's color comes out?

Oshiyama: I think that it is coming out throughout. I am asking the outside person for a storyboard, but there are a lot of pretty visuals decided at the stage where the theme of the work is strong. So I think that it is dense in all the times in terms of my ingredients. Of course, the ideas of the director of each time are packed too. It is mostly me who put in the third episode "Fist of the North Star" and "Dragon Ball" like parody ingredients (laugh). Even those who took charge of the storyboard also included a parody story, but the story that leads to my generation is what I entered at the storyboard. The robot of the eighth talk is also so. From the time the project started, there was a request that "I want you to enter the robot time", I did not know until the last whether or not I could realize it by considering calories and I did not decide which line of robot to do It was. That is what I'd like to do "Mr. Osaka (Masami) -system's Mechanism", but if there is not enough staff, I will not put it in the image and it will be just a free-wheeling event. So depending on the staff that can be secured, we decided the content also. Fortunately, Enokido (Hayao) who directed eighth episode is a powerful young man, so there is a trust that "I will decide coolly", probably thinking that it will be a no mark in the animation industry, and Robo like "Supernova Flashman" I had him move it.

- By the way did you like "flash man"?

Oshiyama: When I was a child, I did scribbling all the time. Is the beginning of the squadron series in me "flash man", or just before that. So there is a robot image as a memory of the root part and the scene where flash king is scattered is burned to the mind (laugh). Also the silhouette like the Great Titan 's box has a huge impact, I wonder if I can put it out here. At the screenplay stage, such a thing did not appear at all, but I got a lot of additions at the stage of the storyboard. Actually, I also planned to insert songs three times at first, but thinking that there are too many indeed. Even though I thought that "I had ordered a number of songs like this, I had to place order number 3 ... ..." at the rest of the festival, I decided to cut down one place just before (laugh).

- You are also appearing as a voice actor in episode 5, are not you?

Oshiyama: Although this work is an illusion as one of the themes, there was a thought that the voice of a female student took into consideration of that in the voice. Even if I hear only the sound, I decided to use an illusion that he heard it as soon as he heard me tell you what he is saying, even if he does not know what he is saying. I thought that if I use the karp that I owned for the first time as a hobby I thought that I could make that strange feeling, I recorded it with my heart buck before actually casting it, but it was too interesting to process it into effect I thought I was wondering if I could do it. However, at the stage when "Furifura" is being produced, this is also a hobby happens to practice the circulatory respiration of the dojeridoo (brass instrument) (rendition style which continually keeps breathing while breathing), this can be used It became Janken (laugh). It is a feeling that I got it recorded again after the dubbing of the latter half of the times and it became the shape of the present.

- Who is your favorite character especially in this work?

Oshiyama: Every character has a hope, but fortunately it is Papika and Yayaka. Yayaka has strong humanity and is unfaithful (laugh), has a painful feeling like seeing herself and has a strong empathy. On the other hand, Papika is a kind of ideal figure. Is it innocent wonderfulness? Pureness and integrity, a girl with pure parts may be nice. Even if I become an adult I want to keep such a pure heart, I want to put value in those parts, so I long for her like that. Since the survival ability is high, you can come out for adventure anytime. It is such a character that we still have something important that we are losing, originally as an animal. Well, since memories are flying once, memories are shorter than appearance age, so there are not enough words or there are personally young parts. It may be hard to understand because it has not changed much before the impact of the accident (laugh), but it is not a stupid child at all.

- One word to viewers who are looking forward to the final story at the end.

Oshiyama: I think that this work is addicted deeply to a harasser, but for those who are not, I think that it is a work that can be caught as "I do not really understand". Since energy is necessary when trying to learn to various depths, in that sense it is arranged in the genre which is said to be "conscious high system". However, those who have not yet been viewed or people who have been abandoned on the way are not frustrated as "It is hard to see anime" in the first episode or the second episode, and if you continue looking at it "This is this You may be able to think that it might be ". Even during the winter holiday, I definitely would like you to spare time for "furihura".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

quote:

- You are moving fancy from the OP.

Oshiyama: I'm smoking that "it's a flashy work." However, I do not think that OP and main part are moving so much in me (laugh) ", so I'm thankful that everyone is praising" I'm moving ". Compared to my past work, it is not that much moving, and friends of animators who know me understand that "Oshiyama, although it is the first episode, I have not moved it at all" (laugh) ).

i get it, oshiyama... i see where you're going with this...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm smoking that "it's a flashy work."

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i want you to enter the robot time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Suddenly a lot of things make sense.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Fangz posted:

Since energy is necessary when trying to learn to various depths, in that sense it is arranged in the genre which is said to be "conscious high system".

best new genre of the year imo

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Here's a better translation of that interview: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ip2IsLvWNJJxYNTT5ODivaL2j5xbEoq3EhGhaUe48Gk/edit

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/AJtheFourth/status/816797572203417600

Linked is a proper tl of the interview.

e: gdi

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^-HAH!

quote:

12—You did the scriptwriting for episode seven, but did you have any influence on the direction of the story as a whole?

Oshiyama: I did, yes. Once the general concept was established and we brought Yuniko Ayana in, we worked together to get the framework of the story built. In the second half of the show we had (Naoki) Hayashi come in to take over the script writing, but by then everything that was supposed to happen was already decided on and it was just a matter of making a script to match it. The schedule was very tight at that point, so having Hayashi there was a huge help. For the first half, I would decide on the core things to have happen each episode, and the script writers would add whatever they wanted on top of that. For example, the yuri elements that Ayana is so good at. That’s something a lot of viewers nowadays find easy to hook into, so it was especially important I think.

Nice to get confirmation that the overall plot was decided on before Ayana left.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

quote:

6—Does that mean you’d say you put more focus on Pure Illusion, and the events surrounding it, than the action, then?

Oshiyama: I’d say so, yes. I felt like using the multifaceted nature of human thoughts and perception to add some variation to the story would be something a lot of people would find interesting, but at the same time, there’s so much you can do with Pure Illusion that it makes things difficult. I knew going in that it would be a risky theme to tackle from a business/financial standpoint as well, but I figured “hey I’m still young, and if I screw up this director thing I can still make a living as an animator” (laughs), so I decided it would be worth the risk of trying something challenging.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

As the interview suggests, tanu's twitter is a great place to go for awesome concept art of this show. e.g.

https://twitter.com/tanu_nisesabori/status/811899505784197120

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
That's a good interview.

If the show hadn't already won me over, this interview confirmed for me that Oshiyama is a name I should look for and trust in future anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oshiyama is a guy who's been doing really good key animation for 12 years and finally got a chance to put whatever he wants in a full show, and he definitely talks like it lol

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Awesome, thanks for posting that interview!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I don't know if this has been posted in this thread already or not, but if you're like me and were wondering why the heck Cocona's rabbit is named Uexkull and what kind of name that is anyway, here's your Wikipedia answer:

quote:

In the semiotic theories of Jakob von Uexküll and Thomas A. Sebeok, umwelt (plural: umwelten; from the German Umwelt meaning "environment" or "surroundings") is the "biological foundations that lie at the very epicenter of the study of both communication and signification in the human [and non-human] animal".[1] The term is usually translated as "self-centered world".[2] Uexküll theorised that organisms can have different umwelten, even though they share the same environment.

I think that clears things up pretty soundly.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I found it very hard to reconcile their pronunciation of Uexkull with the subs

yukusukiruu~~

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Paperhouse posted:

I found it very hard to reconcile their pronunciation of Uexkull with the subs

yukusukiruu~~

If there are any outtakes of the voice actors trying to pronounce it, I would love to hear them.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cephas posted:

I don't know if this has been posted in this thread already or not, but if you're like me and were wondering why the heck Cocona's rabbit is named Uexkull and what kind of name that is anyway, here's your Wikipedia answer:

I think that clears things up pretty soundly.

Mr. H...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Huh, so apparently to finish this show on time, the director drew about 2/3rds (250 cuts) of the final episode personally, in the space of about a week.

This show is somehow crazier than Shirobako.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 9, 2017

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Why do so many shows suffer the final week rush of getting the episode out?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not that surprising if you look at oshiyama's work on space dandy. he wrote, directed, storyboarded and animated an entire episode almost entirely on his own, and it was his first time as a director on something

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 9, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anime production tends to be pretty hellish in general - Kyoto Animation is basically the only studio known for consistently avoiding hellish production crunch. It's more surprising considering that Flip Flappers was apparently ahead of schedule in the earlier parts of its run - hard to say what caused it to burn that lead away as badly as it apparently did. Could just be a factor of Oshiyama's relative inexperience as a series director, but we'll likely never know.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Why don't they just make shows in advance and not literally while they're already airing :confused:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

Why don't they just make shows in advance and not literally while they're already airing :confused:

Presumably so the advertising and merchandise ¥¥¥ can begin rolling in earlier in the production committee's lifetime, to limit outstanding debt or something.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
http://tiii13.tumblr.com/ good flip flap drawer

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

source
Yes hello i would like to buy this bluray please.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Someone made jifs of the ED scenes.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

the ED is so so good, to look at, and have stuck in your head. flip flap, flip flap ...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

studios make 2-4 shows a year. they have to to stay afloat. most anime either loses money at worst or makes a very modest profit at best, so they have to keep churning out anime so they can get a big hit. if you only make 1 show a year and it flops, you're doomed. if you make 3 shows in a year and 1 flops, 1 breaks even, and 1 makes more money than the first show lost, you're fine.

More than that, studios don't really get most of the profits from the shows, with some exceptions (like KyoAni.) that money mostly goes to the producers. The anime studios get money based off the contracts the producers give them. So, again, they have to keep getting contracts.

so they have to keep churning out shows. most anime starts with a good 4-8 week 'grace' period, but it takes way more than a week to make an anime episode, so unless your production line is very smooth, you're going to start running into your deadline as the show goes on. and if production hits even a moderate snag, suddenly you're flying by the seat of your pants.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

BR vol.3

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Didn't follow this show - did it turn out good?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Didn't follow this show - did it turn out good?

Yes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aite, I'm in!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Aite, I'm in!

good.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Excellent

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I now want a bonus episode about Papika and Cocona's first lovers' spat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Spiritus Nox posted:

I now want a bonus episode about Papika and Cocona's first lovers' spat.

That was like every other interaction they had in the anime

• Locked thread