Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rewatched. Some other things I caught.

-I like that you can tell that P&C are closer now because (besides the obvious) they don't get separated upon entering Pure Illusion.

-This episode also confirmed that you can use the same opening to enter different PIs.

-...Or did it? What if it's the same 'location' just changing depending on the mindset of those within/whatever magic? I don't expect a clear answer there, just interesting to think about.

-I didn't realize on first viewing the significance of Yayaka going "Greetings" when she first ran into P&C in the Illusion rather than saying something else. Pft, "different mindset" my rear end, I bet she was stuck in that loop even longer than P&C were.

-That said, where the hell were the twins through all that? Did they come in after her when she got stuck?

-I do wonder what happens to a single person like Yayaka in SPOOKY YURI PARODY land. Did Yayaka just get buddied up with one of the faceless spooks until she broke the loop?

-At first I thought the doll turning back to face P&C in their beds was just the doll being alive, but on second watch it seems pretty clear that it's actually just getting rewound in time to before Cocona adjusted it.

-You know, they ought to stop bringing Bu-chan along on these things if he's just going to get brainwashed by the villain of the day every time - unlike the girls he can't henshin to make up for it.

-I hadn't noticed until this episode, but P&C's Magical Girl outfits each only have one legging - on opposite legs, natch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Colonel posted:

they flashed images of the world they visited for like two seconds

they went there and then yayaka beat them again

At end of previous or start of this episode? Where do I need to rewatch?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
IIRC, we see the twins in the school outfits briefly after Yayaka. They appear to have been caught in the same loop.

After this episode I definitely think Yayaka's going to end up on the same side as P + C eventually. There's too much hinting of her being nicer than she acts.

EDIT: \/ that's probably part of it, yet at the same time Yayaka still fell for the same traps for a while this time.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 4, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My probably false guess about the mindset thing is that pure illusion feeds off cocona and/or papikas desire to be there, not just for the fragments but for themselves, and generates distractions for them to stay whereas (from what we've seen of them anyway) yayakas team doesn't seem to care for anything but getting a gem and bouncing as quickly as possible

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
When they tried to escape the school the first time they got poisoned by menstrual blood. I love this show glorifying in the exact opposite of subtle imagery.

Yayaka has a pretty good point that Cocona really shouldn't go to PI just to appease Papika and/or FlipFlap. Every time she's gone there she's almost died, been mind controlled, or both.

As to the episode itself, jesus christ

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
qrE3Tlnqs

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

q0uqKlQ3nY0

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It wouldn't surprise me that much if Yayaka and the twins are actually the good guys in some way and Cocona and Papika are just aimlessly wandering around Pure Illusion screwing things up for them. Cocona clearly has no idea what she's doing or why she's doing it and I doubt Papika does either.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dzhay posted:

I hope we get a good reason why Cocona has not demanded or been given a straight answer about what's going on from anyone, especially Yayaka.

I do this because lost causes are romantic.

She wants to have fun adventures with Papika, and doesn't want to find out that she's on the evil side, so she doesn't try to find out too hard.

I'm also glad that Dr. Irabu continues to find work.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I flipped.

I flapped.

It was good.

Easily my favorite episode since the first, it was all dark and creepy, and I loved the faceless girls' voices. The light and shadow work was fantastic, and the action was good, and AAAHHH I LOVE THIS SHOW!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I flipped.

I flapped.

It was good.

Easily my favorite episode since the first, it was all dark and creepy, and I loved the faceless girls' voices. The light and shadow work was fantastic, and the action was good, and AAAHHH I LOVE THIS SHOW!

It's super good. I'm tempted to watch from the beginning again already.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So ep. 3 was a Mad Max theme, now we've got a horror theme. I dig it. Yayaka isn't even trying to be an antagonist this time, but until they tell us what the Coneheads' deal is we can't say which "team" is actually working for the bad guys. Maybe both? Or maybe it isn't even the point.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

nielsm posted:

But uh what happened to the ending of the previous episode? They got sucked into sun hole PI and then???

I feel like this is kind of the show's angle right now. Cocona hasn't really thought about what she's doing besides having adventures with her wacky cubbyhole girlfriend, so we don't get to see the big picture either. The show is telling us, it doesn't matter what the last episode was setting up, come have some more fun with these two idiots!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What happened when they were kidnapped by robots. Why is nobody saying anything about that!?!?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It adds to the mystery

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

popped for the shining reference

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

GorfZaplen posted:

What happened when they were kidnapped by robots. Why is nobody saying anything about that!?!?

wasn't that just yayaka's org. taking their crystals again?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Space Flower posted:

That makes a lot of sense actually.

Yayaka probably also brought Cocona home after.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Space Flower posted:

They still had the crystal in the next ep, didn't they?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, but Papika made it sound like it took some doing. Presumably she fought them off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the enemy of the week was an oppressive setting coated in lesbian symbolism where a degree of girl-girl affection is allowed, but only within certain tight constraints, and the girls are slowly turned into a single hollow archetype forever experiencing bland, trivial pleasures in an eternal school.

Good to see that our heroines have breezed past the Class S stage, I guess.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

So the enemy of the week was an oppressive setting coated in lesbian symbolism where a degree of girl-girl affection is allowed, but only within certain tight constraints, and the girls are slowly turned into a single hollow archetype forever experiencing bland, trivial pleasures in an eternal school.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, it was a pretty good, biting parody.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

another thing I liked was when cocona had her wand and tried to flipflap without any confidence. good delivery

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That was actually an interesting development. Episode 3 seemed to imply they could only transform when they were perfectly in sync, but in episode 5 they transformed at different times so they couldn't have been completely synced.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's also interesting to see that fear actually exists for Papika but what specifically makes her afraid is well, this sort of thing. Cocona's role is like her's in the credit sequence.

Someone was talking about how PI might react to the mentality of the person entering it, but in this instance it's Yayaka, no?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

It's also interesting to see that fear actually exists for Papika but what specifically makes her afraid is well, this sort of thing.

Someone was talking about how PI might react to the mentality of the person entering it, but in this instance it's Yayaka, no?

She goes to the same school and wouldn't be that hard to read as being into girls (or at least Cocona) herself, so that still holds. Heck, it might hold better if this PI was reacting primarily to her, considering that the Illusion's whole thing was kind of enforcing conformity to a very specific set of norms and repressions. It wouldn't surprise me if that ties in pretty well to whatever Yayaka's arc ends up being about.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It couldn't have been totally on yayaka though since she recognized the loop but couldn't do anything about it until cocona broke the cycle. It was focused on cocona at least to a significant enough degree that she had to play a role in doing something.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

site posted:

It couldn't have been totally on yayaka though since she recognized the loop but couldn't do anything about it until cocona broke the cycle. It was focused on cocona at least to a significant enough degree that she had to play a role in doing something.

I kinda actually disagree. Like if PI is set up to essentially defend the Amorphous from whoever first gets there, then it makes a lot of sense why the Flip Flappers have been having such trouble all this time, while the ... erm, Flap Flippers have been able to waltz in second and take the Amorphous.

You've got the hidden door that Papika can detect by smell, and the long tower climb under a timer that Henshin mode flight can bypass. This PI wasn't designed to stop the Flip Flappers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fangz posted:

I kinda actually disagree. Like if PI is set up to essentially defend the Amorphous from whoever first gets there, then it makes a lot of sense why the Flip Flappers have been having such trouble all this time, while the ... erm, Flap Flippers have been able to waltz in second and take the Amorphous.

You've got the hidden door that Papika can detect by smell, and the long tower climb under a timer that Henshin mode flight can bypass. This PI wasn't designed to stop the Flip Flappers.

Mmmm i dunno that it generates stuff based on first to enter specifically, but that's because we aren't shown timelines from yayakas perspective. Like, we don't know when yayaka entered mad max world all we know is that she was already there when papika woke up. Unfortunately this is compounded by the fact that they can see when flipflap enters pi so from the viewer's perspective it's impossible to establish whether she was already there or just followed them. And in this ep we also aren't shown how long yayaka or the twins had already been there so we have no way of knowing whether the ghost stepford girl things had any conforming effect on them at all :shrug: There's also the dust bunny ep where the gem is just pearched on a ledge that took papika just a few minutes to climb up and get, which seems pretty easy on the face of it, but then again if cocona hadn't been inside the chamber would it have still been up there? Who knows???

But to the points in para2, we are shown that yayakas team had found an alternate route to the clocktower before papika sniffed out the door, and likewise there's no reason to assume that yayakas team would've failed to get the fragment if they didn't have to stop and fight flipflap/direct drive just because the tower was tall.

Speculation is fun

site fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 4, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yayaka being dressed up and saying 'Greetings' seems like a strong hint that the illusion effected her at least a little

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She may be trying to blend in she warned cocona not to make a big scene when talking to her in the hallway because the ghosts were watching through the windows and she was hiding in the bar on mad max world wearing a cloak like the townsfolk did

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

iirc yayaka also seemed put off/taken aback/embarrassed when papika asked why she was dressed like that

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It is a very uncouth question to ask :v:

It's a good point though. That could be a "you don't get it, stupid" reaction but that's quite a stretch even for me

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think stuff like the shading of her face also suggest she was controlled, too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I must admit i hadn't considered something like that since we only see her in the dark until the end

Actually i wouldn't have considered that at all tbh is that a thing with mind control in lots of anime?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

site posted:

I must admit i hadn't considered something like that since we only see her in the dark until the end

Actually i wouldn't have considered that at all tbh is that a thing with mind control in lots of anime?

I don't know about 'lots of anime', but if you take a look P&C's colors become significantly more muted and less saturated when they don the Illusion's school uniforms and start getting hypnotized into the Class S poo poo. Their eyes are also noticeably duller at points as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Intriguing

I only ask cuz I'm pretty new to the anime game I'm not up on tropes and such

• Locked thread