Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Command Ant posted:

Maybe it's just me, but in that shot where she's holding Cocona by the cheeks, it kind of looks like Papika...

... Turned into...

... A BOY?!?
i think she just cut her hair in a very boyish fashion and is wearing a boy's uniform, her face seems to be drawn about the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pavlov posted:

I'm usually the first one to point out pedo poo poo in anime, but that wasn't this episode's problem. Actually I don't know about the bath scene, I might have been rolling my eyes too hard at that point to notice.

my eyes were rolling too, from having to look in every direction to see all the epiccally cool stuff flipflappers was throwing my way

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best face turn was NyuNyu just randomly bumming around with Salt for no reason other than boredom.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

Yayaka is totally foulmouthed all the time, its just that being foulmouthed in japanese is simply speaking tersely in a sharp tone.

yeah, shes been doing that since the start

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pavlov posted:

The fake city was loving our world. She ends by escaping out of that in a flock of butterflies with a girl so over-the-top that people ITT thought she was a figment of coconut's imagination.

For the confidence-getting arc it works ok. But they brushed right up to an anti-escapist idea and took a conscious 180.
the fake city was, uh, fake. hence why you called it a fake city.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you've ever been depressed, you'll know that seeing the world as a gray, lifeless thing where literally nothing can change is also a kind of escapism. It's removing yourself from the responsibility to do anything or to deal with the problems in your life. Leaving that is ending your escapism.

So no, the world I live in isn't really like the fakeout one.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 30, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the real world is full of opportunity and joy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

Why don't they just make shows in advance and not literally while they're already airing :confused:
studios make 2-4 shows a year. they have to to stay afloat. most anime either loses money at worst or makes a very modest profit at best, so they have to keep churning out anime so they can get a big hit. if you only make 1 show a year and it flops, you're doomed. if you make 3 shows in a year and 1 flops, 1 breaks even, and 1 makes more money than the first show lost, you're fine.

More than that, studios don't really get most of the profits from the shows, with some exceptions (like KyoAni.) that money mostly goes to the producers. The anime studios get money based off the contracts the producers give them. So, again, they have to keep getting contracts.

so they have to keep churning out shows. most anime starts with a good 4-8 week 'grace' period, but it takes way more than a week to make an anime episode, so unless your production line is very smooth, you're going to start running into your deadline as the show goes on. and if production hits even a moderate snag, suddenly you're flying by the seat of your pants.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

One thing you probably noticed to some degree is that the tone of the show shifted dramatically, about halfway through, when the screenwriter jumped ship. Yayaka's redemption occurred relatively late in the show, as well.

I'm a little bit conflicted about this. On the one hand, the show we got is the show we got, and there's no source material against which to compare it. On the other... was Yayaka really a redeemable character from the start? Up until episode 7 or whatever, Yayaka seemed like the personification of the societal norms that Kokona was doing her best with which to conform. After that, she became a jealous little girl with a crush on Kokona who was also involved in {anime plot bullshit}"

So... which is the true Yayaka? Which is the good Yayaka?

She's probably the most interesting character to compare across both versions of the show.

you are literally making stuff up and have no idea what you're talking about, please stop regurgitating stuff some idiot said on 4chan without actually doing research

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Command Ant posted:

I just hope that, at the very least, it's not anywhere near as embarrassing as the Maidragon dubs were.
dr. salt: google ron paul

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zeruel posted:

Still such a shame that it flip flopped. Japan has no taste.

it got almost literally no marketing and aired at night in the middle of the work week on the illustrious channel that also aired seikon no qwaser

'japan has no taste' isn't really the issue at hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf the channel also aired steins;gate but yeah, a big part of their market and trade is stuff like qwasar and queen's blade. it was like 11 pm, not 2 am, but it was on a thursday night so people still had work to go to on friday morning, so.

• Locked thread