Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So for anyone wanting to read way too much into details, the rabbit is named after some guy called Jakob von Uexküll who came up with Umwelt

Umwelt posted:

Uexküll was interested in how living beings perceive their environment(s). Uexküll argued that organisms perceived the experience of living in terms of species-specific, spatio-temporal, 'self-in-world' subjective reference frames that he called Umwelt (translated as milieu, situation, embedding-lit. German for environment). These Umwelten (plural of Umwelt) are distinctive from what Uexküll termed the "Umgebung" which would be the living being's surroundings as seen from the likewise peculiar perspective or Umwelt of the observer. The umwelt is composed of two parts, the innenwelt or self-oriented features, and the Umgebung, or world-oriented features. Together, they describe the individual's subjective viewpoint, or embedding, which has the property of being ubiquitous, as compared to the observer's objective viewpoint, which has the property of being universal. Subjectivity and objectivity are important topics in Philosophy of Mind.

Taking a subjective viewpoint and making it into objective reality seems an apt way to describe Pure Illusion, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
To continue the endless stream of references, here's an old children's book called Adventure in a Closet

Exact same closet and spooky eyes and handholding

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
This episode didn't quite do it for me as much as the first 2 did, but the first two were secreting atmosphere at a rate that requires the attention of a dermatologist, so I can't be too mad at the show going from "sublime" to "really good."

Also, Cocona's fragment being in her inner thigh is totally sexually charged. It's just sexually charged in the sense that Cocona is a girl who has suppressed every aspect of her emotional state, especially her sexuality, and her sexual awakening is messing with her carefully constructed facade in a variety of ways.

Granted in this case that means she literally gets superpowers from her sexual awakening, but it beats the hell out of the myriad examples of characters getting superpowers from their virginity.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 21, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Ok this episode was a fantastic return to form in being vaguely unsettling.

-Grandmother is still "OH BY THE WAY HAVE YOU READ THE GIVER" level of creepiness.

-The return of the maiden/crone optical illusion. It just occurred to me that the boat ride is very reminiscent of Charon and crossing the River Styx.

-Afterwords we have spoooooky tree. I'd say it can be read as either a prison cell--keeping some part of Cocona locked away--or a creature's maw. Not sure about the thematic symbolism of the latter.

- たのもう! たのもう!  :kimchi: :kimchi:

- The artist girl's presence is really helpful towards Cocona's struggle to realize herself. She's clearly the most mature member of the cast (outside of flip flap) and shows that you can "grow up" without being reduced to conformity. She freely talks about her struggles in her work but shows no sign of being stymied by them. Her affection for Cocona is likely nothing more than seeing a young girl struggling to come to terms with coming of age, and offering her a refuge. Plus, she has no interaction whatsoever with Papika, who seems locked in childhood like Peter Pan, except being left in the wake of her whirlwind.

- Oh lawd this show isn't even being subtle about its yonic imagery this time. Hey Cocona crawl back into this womb and enter a realm of childlike wonder!

- DEAD PARENTS outta nowhere! Batman aside, Papika's unfamiliarity of something as simple as "family," plus the fact she didn't offer any details of family of her own, feeds into my suspicion that Papika is an artificial human to some degree. I'm calling Papika's literal age as 3 years old, max.

- Bu-chan x Uexkull best bros :3:

- Good thing they got sucked into the sun because that lovely raft didn't even have a sail or oars on it so they were gonna die at sea.

- Uexkull went with them! A return of Kamina-Uexkull?!

Not going to get into Yayaka right now since I could probably write an entire page on her alone this episode.

tl;dr This show is awesome, the atmosphere is back to being sublime, the ED was playing in my head the entire time I was writing this post. Incidently, this was the perfect follow up after trying to watch Now and Then, Here and There and then giving up midway through the series because of absolute despair. Sara :smithicide:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The similarities between the show are that Papika is a space case (though honestly that's more of a Matt Smith thing than the Doctor) and the companionship is central to the show. Thematically the shows could have less to do with each other. FliFla is a coming of age story with some unsettling undertones and Doctor Who.....what exactly are the themes of that show?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
When they tried to escape the school the first time they got poisoned by menstrual blood. I love this show glorifying in the exact opposite of subtle imagery.

Yayaka has a pretty good point that Cocona really shouldn't go to PI just to appease Papika and/or FlipFlap. Every time she's gone there she's almost died, been mind controlled, or both.

As to the episode itself, jesus christ

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So is Salt pulling a Gendo for Mimi?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure the amorphous children are literal robots, judging from toto's head injury.

Also the prism reflection fight was so good. brb literally smashing fond childhood memories

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
or dennou coil

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
No comments about Yayaka's henshin being a butterfly? You're off your game Nox!

Also the keyframes in the episode preview show the return of GAR Uexkull

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Yayaka is totally foulmouthed all the time, its just that being foulmouthed in japanese is simply speaking tersely in a sharp tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also the blu-ray Art on this show has been ridiculously good.

• Locked thread