Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My impression so far that this is clearly some Japanese director/producer's idea for Doctor Who fanfiction with a female protagonist as the Time Lord.

I am very satisfied with this as a perfect example I can point to and say "It would work if it was like that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Is there like, an aspect of that question you would like more elaboration on or like what? That the show feels like Doctor Who to me is good, I feel like that is straight forward enough to understand. Have you not seen Doctor Who? What context would you like?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Xinder posted:

Papika is a quirky character kind of like the Doctor? That's an extremely huge stretch, but that's all I can imagine you're talking about because I see no other similarities.

The first two episodes gave me a stronger impression then the later two episodes which veered more strongly into Magical Girl tropes; the general idea of having adventures in strange alien worlds where there's wonder and danger to be had in equal measure; where the normal "human" companion serves as foil to the quirky inscrutable "alien" with both individuals holding each other up and trying to understand each other; this is the core narrative theme of pretty much any season of Doctor Who and I felt that they were strongly comparable.

But I made my original comment only seen episodes 1&2, episodes 3&4 move away from that and goes in it's own direction so my initial impressions weren't born out.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 31, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The cacti also looks like his brain.

I wonder if we'll get an episode where Cocona has that same reaction of pure sanity snapping terror we see in the end credits.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm actually a little confused and not sure how/where people got on board with the show being explicitly Yuri as early as they do; is it from the Director being upfront or is there something I missed in episodes 1-3? I don't doubt its there but it seems like it was super obvious to everyone and it wasn't to me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, if you're looking for P&C (or P&Y, if the show does the lovely predictable thing and has Papika be Cocona's Persona and disappear at the end) to kiss I'm not sure it's going to happen just because of how this show eschews traditional narrative structure and relies on subtext in general. But, uh, I think the point at which Cocona literally considers banging an imagined, idealized version of Papika is the point at which the show has made its intentions explicit enough for any halfway reasonable viewer.

Works for me!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I need to catch up on Symphogear since it's my favourite subgenre of Magical Girl anime; which is the more militarized combat oriented with mecha tropes like Nanoha which I ALSO need to catch up on geez.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yayaka, Cocona and Papika is my OT3.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that's how I see it. She's got a sort of reincarnation thing going on.

I like it as some small vindication about my early observations that Papika is kinda like a Time Lord.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like that the twins have come around in the last episode. With the older sister getting a truly awesome angry face at her brother getting hurt again and then telling the Hoodman to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Someone made jifs of the ED scenes.

• Locked thread