Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Here's a better translation of that interview: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ip2IsLvWNJJxYNTT5ODivaL2j5xbEoq3EhGhaUe48Gk/edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^-HAH!

quote:

12—You did the scriptwriting for episode seven, but did you have any influence on the direction of the story as a whole?

Oshiyama: I did, yes. Once the general concept was established and we brought Yuniko Ayana in, we worked together to get the framework of the story built. In the second half of the show we had (Naoki) Hayashi come in to take over the script writing, but by then everything that was supposed to happen was already decided on and it was just a matter of making a script to match it. The schedule was very tight at that point, so having Hayashi there was a huge help. For the first half, I would decide on the core things to have happen each episode, and the script writers would add whatever they wanted on top of that. For example, the yuri elements that Ayana is so good at. That’s something a lot of viewers nowadays find easy to hook into, so it was especially important I think.

Nice to get confirmation that the overall plot was decided on before Ayana left.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anime production tends to be pretty hellish in general - Kyoto Animation is basically the only studio known for consistently avoiding hellish production crunch. It's more surprising considering that Flip Flappers was apparently ahead of schedule in the earlier parts of its run - hard to say what caused it to burn that lead away as badly as it apparently did. Could just be a factor of Oshiyama's relative inexperience as a series director, but we'll likely never know.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I now want a bonus episode about Papika and Cocona's first lovers' spat.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hm, yes, good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The blu-ray art has all been ridiculously good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kylra posted:

It took me like 30 minutes to figure out, but it makes perfect sense that the boring, drab, super-realistic world with no adventure is Cocona's Pure Illusion and that made the ending make a billion times more sense.

More like a facet of it. The world from Episode 1 - a version of Cocona's home covered in beautiful, cold, but sweet snow; and filled with massive, scary, unknowable creatures is ALSO Cocona's Pure Illusion. The world from the finale was more of a brief nightmare she had when she was afraid that she was never going to see Papika again. Although I like to imagine that basically every world we visit is at least influenced by Cocona's own perspective.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kylra posted:

Massive scary unknowable creatures covered and hidden by sweet snow doesn't seem like episode 1 Cocona to me, so that doesn't seem right. Perhaps that is the grandma.

The big scary creatures aren't Cocona, I don't think - they're how she perceives other people. The sweet snow is more reflective of Cocona herself at that point in the story - she has an air of being cold and aloof but actually has a very sweet disposition when she can get past her anxieties.

https://twitter.com/FLIP_FLAPPERS/status/852491544317747200

Also the blu-ray art on this show has been ridiculously good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm particularly fond of The Void Episode, though Gokigenyo, Auntie, and The Papika Episode are all great as well.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

I watched the last episode again last night because the first time I saw it I was half asleep. There are a few things that I'm not sure about with the episode. Was Papika trapped in limbo after getting Cocona from Mimi? If so how did she get there and where did Cocona go? Her hair seems much longer when she's naked and unconscious on the floor as compared to when Mimi vanishes. How was Cocona able to find Papika years later? Is this part of her "dreams" that she's had growing up? It seems like when she dreams she either ports over or mentally ports over to the Pure Illusion Limbo world. And it seems like Cocona never really learns who her father is as no one ever really states it to her; not that it matters as Salt is almost as bad a dad as Gendo.

The answer to a lot of those questions is "eh, who cares, the show's much more interested in Cocona's emotional journey than the precise mechanics of any of the magic involved," but here's my read:

-Papikana dives into Pure Illusion after Mimi, who promptly shatters into itty bits, leaving Papikana and baby Cocona stranded in Pure Illusion.
-Papikana is de-aged and for all practical purposes reincarnated as Papika during her sleep in limbo.
-Cocona is either rescued or simply magics herself back to reality sooner than later. Either way she ends up in the hands of Asclepius.
-A young, but no-longer infant Cocona meets and befriends Papika in her dreams - travelling to Pure Illusion in her sleep the same way she did when she was having her occasional visions of Mimi throughout the series.
-Papika resurfaces at some point. This is the iffiest question, but I like to imagine that Salt continued working with Asclepius a while longer after the disaster that destroyed the lab, was involved with whatever process drew Papika back into reality, and promptly escaped with her to found FlipFlap and try and prevent Asclepius from recovering the fragments.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I feel a little bad for Yayaka and I hope she finds happiness.

Yayaka is very good, and in the unlikely event that this ever gets any sort of followup I hope it focuses on her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, there's an interview we linked/talked about at some point in this thread where Oshiyama mentions that he and Ayana (the series composer for the first half of the show) came up with the overall concept and broad strokes of the story before the show went into production, so it's highly unlikely that Yayaka was ever intended to be anything dramatically different from what we got. Yayaka started off as an agency of conformity (among other things), sure, but her arc was always about her realizing that she was never as happy with that role as she had convinced herself that she was.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 21, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

aaaaaaaaaa finally, I've been wanting to hear the slow instrumental versions of the OP and ED.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I think that's actually part of the point of her character. Yayaka's entire deal is not being honest with herself.

Yeah, my read is kind of along these lines. We're obviously not meant to read the boistrous, mouthy girl with dyed red streaks in her hair as some kind of prim and proper flower child, but I did get the impression that she's someone who ultimately sees the status quo as somewhat reassuring and less frightening than trying to take risks and live the way she really wants to. That's why she goes along with Asclepius' World Control plans and in particular why she's afraid to come clean with Cocona.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 10, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of Yayaka:

https://twitter.com/DDDDD_DIE/status/873653798060802048

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i hope yayaka screams "gently caress YOU" every ten seconds

Except when speaking to Cocona, at which point she will do the same thing but preface it with "I want to".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Want

• Locked thread