Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm fascinated by this show - it's beautiful and I love how weird it is....but a few things give me pause. The Kill la Kill esque transformations, the repeated sexual elements when we're dealing with children.... :sigh:

Anime, why you gotta be so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the transformations looked like standard magical girl to me. the sexual imagery i can understand giving people pause, if only because fixating on cocona's inner thigh doesn't seem to do much thematically or for the story. whereas the gagged women and rabbit stuff at least seem to be exploring an idea of sexual awakening and the relationship between cocona and papika.

I know that sexual imagery in magical girl transformations goes back a long way (thinking of Sailor Jupiter) but it's still troubling to see it. Same deal with the inner thigh thing, like, why put that there.

The gagged women and rabbit stuff didn't bother me as much, but it still adds up to a show that...well, we'll see how the writing turns out. Hopefully it either tones it down or does something with it in a well-handled way. Fingers crossed because it's so good so far!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Not certain what you're referring to by "kill la kill esque" transformations, this ep's were straight out of Precure or Sailor Moon, totally standard magical girl stuff.

The shots of their butts as the fabric appears and tightens. Very Kill la Kill-y, and very uncomfortable. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay realtalk if I had to compare this anime to anything else I'd compare it to Over the Garden Wall with the dreamlike atmosphere and rwo kids going on adventures....but that impression has been fading a bit with Mad Max: The Anime and more of the plot cropping up.

....Anyways it's all moot because the show is good and it's better to enjoy something on its own merits than compare it to something else, soooo...

Speculation time: Salt is real salty about people not being imaginative or something so he's going to make Pure Illusion reality so there can be more art in the world. The evil KKK dudes want to capture Pure Illusion for their own purposes and control who can be creative, because...world domination maybe.

Ah, who knows. I just want Papika and Cocona to become good friends and have some cool adventures! :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

I also didn't like episode 3 quite as much as the previous two, but it still had tons to like and the plot stuff introduced towards the end was very interesting. I hope they do more stuff like episode 2 though in terms of animation, everything looked so beautiful and colourful that even if everything else sucked I would have still liked it. I got extremely big Yuasa vibes from that which obviously is great. Really surprised at how much I like this, I wasn't expecting anything particularly good but I think it's the best new show I've seen in years. Is this an adaptation of a manga or is it new? And how many episodes are they going for?

It's original, anime-first, and it's going for 13 episodes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Well, that's it. I'm completely and utterly invested in this show and need to see it to the end. Episode four was just about perfect in how it handled character development, its ominous weird plotting/foreshadowing, and I enjoyed just about everything in it.

Let's see -

- The moment the rabbit and the robot had the...horror moment outside the "tent" reminded me of every cliche about camping out and monsters in the woods, and for a moment I was wondering if we'd get a horror pastiche.

- Grandma is super creepy. Do more than be vaguely understanding, lady!

- Another fakeout: when they got separated on the island due to Cocona turning back from the bugs, I was suddenly sure there'd be some kind of monster or something horrible that Papika would have to help rescue Cocona from. But nope, the show remained cheerful and non-threatening (mostly) this time!

- I can really empathize with Cocona. Not knowing what you want to do for your future, not knowing what your skills are, let alone your interests - she's relatively isolated, too, and being a good student doesn't necessarily ensure a fulfilling future. Here's to hoping she emerges from the series with a happier path in front of her, and a good partner in Papika with her. (Papika as a literal dream girl feels almost too fitting given the show - she's almost custom made to fit the Pure Illusion adventures as she's curious, unafraid, and goes with the flow in all things. But I hope...I hope she's real. For Cocona's sake.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I actually think that it's not that Grandma is creepy and sinister - it's that we're in deep in Cocona's head for much of the show, and she is resentful and suspicious of her one surviving relative. Observe how what she actually says is usually nice and supportive, and how she gets less distant and unsettling when Cocona reaches out to her at the end of Episode 3.

That's quite insightful! It fits the themes of the show, with the repeated subtle imagery of optical illusions (thinking of the girl/old woman figure on the boat). Shifting perspectives and all that.

Man, this show knows what it's doing. Everything's unified and deliberate.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Didn't follow this show - did it turn out good?

I think the back half was a little weaker than the first half, but the ending is rock-solid, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

Binged this show over a few day. Thanks.

Did you like it?

• Locked thread