Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Erg posted:

oh my god they became dust bunnies

Ha!

Hahaha!

You know I'm surprised, I think I actually like this show. Who'd have loving thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Aw noooo I thought this wasn't going to do the dorky voyeuristic transformation scenes and drawn out ssj announce-your-move fights.

I mean it's no less pretty, but it was doing so good being original and then it tripped and fell into a cliche pit.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 21, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

This episode was very self-consciously an Anime Action Episode. I could be wrong about this, but the Precure bit felt like as much of a pastiche as the Fist of the North Star bit, a way to playfully emphasise the turbulence Cocona's going through. Everything so far suggests that the girls' transformed forms are sticking around, but hopefully they won't feel obligated to stick too hard to any sort of formula.

If it was just for the episode, I could accept it as genre hopping and experimentation. But if it sticks around to much, It's gunna get old fast.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Who told me there wouldn't be more transformation scenes? Liars.

Pretty good episode though. Very good at keeping things fresh.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The klan wants the magic rocks to take over the world right? That means PI can probably affect the real world somehow. It's possible they weren't just changing that girl's perspective of events. They might have actually rewritten history in some small way.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'll be honest that was the weakest episode for me so far. This show's at its best when it's oozing creativity, and this one wasn't. Also all those papikas were really annoying.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm usually the first one to point out pedo poo poo in anime, but that wasn't this episode's problem. Actually I don't know about the bath scene, I might have been rolling my eyes too hard at that point to notice.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i'm pretty sure any posts pavlov makes in a thread for another magical girl show are going to be 20x more painful to read

Oh man definitely. This show I actually like.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I have to respect this show's commitment to just doing whatever the hell it wants.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of giant robot camp, but I can respect that the show's trying for doing a little bit of everything.

Still prefer when it's going for the more outlandish settings and relying less on genre staples though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm starting to worry they spent too much of their creativity on the early episodes. This one was mostly shonen fighting in a literal blank expanse. They weren't even sampling a genre this time. I thought they were going to do space opera from that one scene but nope.

Am I the only one who's seeing the plot as actually getting in the way of the good parts of the show? The actual collecting rocks and KKK bits don't really have any tension in them. Hell this is a 12 episode show right? We're 3/4ths through and we still don't know plot motivations for like half the show's cast.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Well, I have found that the older you are, the more likely it is you hold Klan sympathies...

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The only thing I didn't really like about this episode was how little context we had for exactly why Yayaka would go that far against someone she obviously cared about that much, other than her presumably getting kicked out of an organisation who's goals we don't even know.
I guess the episode hinted at her growing up there and maybe not knowing anything else, but it just seemed like her motivations we weak from our perspective.

Yeah I felt that too. Blondie seems like a pretty ok character, and I think I could actually care about her internal struggle if the show would actually tell us the thing she's struggling with.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm going to give the show a chance to tie things up, but I'm starting to suspect that the plot is going to make no drat sense when looking back in retrospect.

Also how loving old is Paprika? Are they gunna have to pull out some technobabble for why she doesn't age?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm also confused that it's not more popular. I thought yuri and flashy colors was all you needed for a popular show these days.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I always thought merch in general was stupid.

I guess that's why no one makes anim targeted at me.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I hate everything about this light blue haired chick.

Also this episode made me realize Coconut was really holding the show together, and her barely showing up was really noticeable. Her mom's a way less interesting character, and the actual plot's still too convoluted when the show focuses on that.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

My read is that cat name's role is to fulfill the moeblob quota.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm still not totally satisfied with the direction the show has gone, but each episode since the shift has been better than the last so the finale should be really really good.

I still wish it had stayed a more personal character piece with fantastic backdrops, instead of a high-stakes sci-fi action drama, but it never really got bad, which is better than I can say about most shows.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

So I think I'm noticing an anti-escapist theme going on in this episode, which is always nice to see in such an escapist media. Given how much symbolism this show throws around, it makes me think that the mother is meant to be an allegory for something, but I'm not really sure what. She seems like kind of an internal, and kind of an external force, so I don't know if she's supposed to represent a situation or a state of mind.

Is she supposed to represent a real mother in the 'still living with your mother' sense? The allure of living through safe and comfortable fantasy world cut off from the people around you? Just a general sense of indecisiveness and feeling adrift in the world?

I'm not sure any of those really fits with how her character acts. Maybe how the mother actually gets resolved will make it a little more clear.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

They still haven't made it clear why she's a young amnesiac though. As far as I can tell it's just "Magic happened because PLOT".

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Well, so much for that anti-escapist message I thought it was going for. For a moment I thought it was going to do something interesting at the end there, but nope, just a troll (pretty good troll tho).

I dunno what do say. I was kind of expecting the show to try and say something with it's finale, but it was just action scenes, tieing up the needlessly convoluted plot, and standard feelgood stuff. Ah well.

Turkeybro posted:

The part where Salt shoots his younger self in the head was pretty amazing, it would have been really predictable and also a huge cop-out for a show like this to have an ending where they go back to the past to fix all the mistakes and make it so all the development in the rest of the show didn't mean poo poo, I guess the writers for this show also don't like that kind of ending!

That was probably the best part of the episode yeah. But if it was going for an accepting reality shtick, it wouldn't have ended with them flying off to dreamland with giant butterflies.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Since when has this show been about anti-escapism? It's pretty much all been "Cocona learns to love her life/the people around her" from the word go.

I mentioned last episode I thought I was noticing that message. I was wrong.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Cephas posted:

I'm pretty sure the butterflies were leading them out of dreamland, back to their normal world which has hoverboards, androids, green blobby rabbits, and shadowy organizations but more notably does not have second chances to make your past mistakes never happen, closed worlds where you can live in daydreams forever, or reality-bending powers to force people to become whatever you want them to.

That pure illusion city she woke up in was glum and drab, but the show is pretty overt about how she doesn't have to live in that sort of world because she has friends like Papika, Yayaka, and Iroha to add warmth, color, and adventure to her life.

The fake city was loving our world. She ends by escaping out of that in a flock of butterflies with a girl so over-the-top that people ITT thought she was a figment of coconut's imagination.

For the confidence-getting arc it works ok. But they brushed right up to an anti-escapist idea and took a conscious 180.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

Cocona and Papika are not back in their real world until they are free falling, ie. where they don't have pure illusion powers. The world you are calling 'our' world was just another pure illusion. I thought this was clear as hell that they return to reality when everyone is reacting to the fact they got out of that pure illusion by seeing C/P in the sky or in the HQ's case using their monitoring equipment.

Yah I get that.
I don't live in flip-flapper world though. The one I live in is like the fakeout one. I'll assume you live here too.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Fakeout world wasn't even that bad. It was just slightly less cartoony. Hell it's winter here I got gray skies too.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

the real world is full of opportunity and joy

Can be!

I wish we had gotten to see coconut apply that 'confidence' thing she was working on towards making the best out of it. Instead we got butterflies in Pure Illusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803411&pagenumber=6#post467826826

This is what you do with your loving time when looking for me Pavlov? Post heavy in the magical girl anime thread?

Whoops, you caught me. Also Gorph's lying to you, I didn't forget how to mumble.

Why are you lying to my good friend Drinkfist Gorph?

• Locked thread