Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I watched the first ep and HOLY CRAP IT'S SO GOOD!!!!

It was colorful, used light and shadow in really evocative ways, the animation was super lively, the contrast between Cocona's mundane world and all the wacky stuff... actually wasn't as pronounced as I expected, her town is a pretty neat place that looks like what I imagine a Japanese port heavily colonized by Europeans would look like - like the historical sections of Calcutta, but Japan instead of India. It was neat. Anyways, when they wanted it to look mundane, it did due to the aforementioned light and shadow, and the music.

And then wow that ED! I'd seen it already due to The Colonel posting it in one of the pinned threads, so it wasn't a surprise, but it was fantastic. The cutesy animation at the bottom is a wonderful contrast with the fantastical storybook animation at the top, and the song is fun, too.

The robot thing reminds me of Hyo-Hyo from Kaiba, both in the way it moves and sounds.

I AM SO READY TO FLIP-FLAP-FLIP-FLAP FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
also, I'm real excited to see the other Pure Illusion worlds, the first did a good job of evoking wonder and loneliness in equal measure, and I can only imagine they'll get more bizarre

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
FLIP FLAP FLIP FLAP

I don't know if this song is ever going to leave my head

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Episode 2 was also really good! if not quite as arresting as the first.

Everyone who saw Papika flying was barely freaked out at all, that was weird. It made me think I missed something. I loved the bait-and-switch of Papika getting a fancy dress instead of a uniform. The Pure Illusion this time was really neat, and again reminded me of Kaiba. Papika being unrecognizable until Cocona, well, recognized her was really neat. The show's been a bit skeevier than I care for (thinking particularly of the shots where Cocona grew ears/tail, but there've been some other bits too), but not by much and it's ignorable, so I don't think I'll bring it up again. Uexkull (or however it's spelled) in the PI was really neat, and I loved the characterization they managed to give him with no lines and little screen time. FlipFlap is shady as gently caress, but it's too early to tell if that's just for effect or if they're actually sinister. I'd thought the latter until Salt's advice to keep a fragment on her, which seemed paternal in a good way. So I guess I'm leaning towards not sinister, though I could still easily see them becoming the endgame villains due to differing visions.

I'm still in awe at how good the ED is, an episode could probably be pretty bad and I would still come away with positive feelings after it.

Spiritus Nox posted:

-Cocona's grandma creeps me out and I'm not sure yet how intentional that is.

:same:

Spiritus Nox posted:

-Flip flap, flip flap...

Sakurazuka posted:

I

I'm so confused

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
it was more the way it was delivered, really

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

you're not helping

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This ep was great too! Love the Mad Max, love the magical girl transformations, love the designs of the weird dark villain lady thing and of Yayaka transformed, love the random child desert monster with its parent, love the weird cult antagonists AAAAAAAAA I love this show! And it all looks so good and moves so prettily!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Not certain what you're referring to by "kill la kill esque" transformations, this ep's were straight out of Precure or Sailor Moon, totally standard magical girl stuff.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
As the worlds #1 fan of transformation sequences, I would be more than fine if they stuck around, but I really don't expect them to. If they do continue, I expect them to be very different from episode to episode. This show has yet to disappoint visually, and I doubt it will start now. Really, this show has given pretty much no reason for pessimism whatsoever.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

lmao

it was good, and then the last few seconds, and it was great

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good ep. The scene where they got separated on the island was properly terrifying. The bit with the poisonous red fruit smeared on Cocona's hands seems ominous, maybe in a Lady MacBeth way given her dead parents. I mean, she almost certainly didn't actually kill them, but possibly feels guilty for some reason, which could also explain her distance from her grandmother. Though guilt doesn't really mesh with the way she talked about wanting to meet them. Anyway, it seemed significant somehow, like much of the episode!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

They aren't similar imo because Doctor Who sucks and Flip Flappers is extremely good

well yeah, one's and the other's

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I flipped.

I flapped.

It was good.

Easily my favorite episode since the first, it was all dark and creepy, and I loved the faceless girls' voices. The light and shadow work was fantastic, and the action was good, and AAAHHH I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

neat!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I flipped the last two flaps. It was good. obvious production issues, but nothing too bad. It wasn't a perfect ending, but it was a good one. I'll take it. Easily one of my top animes of the year.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's a great episode.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
you've been watching the wrong sorts of magical girl shows, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Not if you want a fair idea of what most magical girl shows are like! Most are cute and innocent and actually intended for little girls!

• Locked thread