Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Nobody mentioned this so I must've missed it- did Rick toss the hatchet on top of the RV before climbing up? I saw Negan chuck it out the door, then it was on top, and it's driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The Archaic posted:

Nice to see the spoiler that AMC released a couple weeks ago was true, when they showed Rick's right side of his face with blood splatter, instantly confirming Abe's death.

I'm pretty sure they explicitly showed him getting that splatter later, when Negan whipped the Glen-soaked Lucille in an arc, just to be a gently caress.

I like Negan and I hope they make this pay off with a Rick who is truly beaten, fighting against rebellion and working for him for at least several episodes.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

No that was me.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

He could've gotten there through charisma and circumstance, and then started to maintain it using violence and the power base he'd already built. At this point it has momentum and a cult.

I dunno it's not that big a stretch and of all the frustrating logical gymnastics it takes to enjoy this show, a brutal dickhead like Negan having a gang isn't really one of them to me.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Not that you're defending the trend, but we just saw a character catch up on her girlfriend being killed eight months ago in viewer time.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Wow, before now I hadn't looked back and considered that this was Victor's plan all along, not only harmless but something the family would've been fine with, but he was circumspect about it for half a season just so the writers could generate some cheap and completely unrewarding suspense as to his motives.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Sorta assume Jesus is staying behind to rescue Daryl, might even be who slipped him the key (and we're supposed to be as suspicious as Daryl about it). He was on the roof of the truck, then Daryl looks up at the roof of the truck as he's walking away, before they cut back to the empty roof.

Boinks posted:

I can't wait for Into The Badlands either.

also this

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

It was like we were supposed to think it looked really creepy despite the fact that this is a show where almost every building we see now is a creepy ruin.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Gortarius posted:

So Negan told that woman to cut Rositas face, to mess it up, but then it was just a one centimeter cut on her cheek that'll heal in two days. I guess that was good enough for Negan who is a known pacifist.

The last episode was one of my favorites this season (things happened!) but this annoyed the gently caress out of me. Negan's people kill on a whim, like they're going to hesitate to give someone a serious scar for any reason but AMC keeping actors' faces pretty. It contrasted well against the last episode of Z-Nation where Addison gets the living poo poo beat out of her all episode; burst blood vessels in the eye, broken nose, the makeup crew went all out to show someone getting wrecked. Because it's, you know, the apocalypse.

Carl's eye notwithstanding the only way TWD likes to show the toll on peoples' bodies is in the men's beards.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They're using the zombies as a defensive measure. It's kind of a cross between Morgan's arrangement in Clear and the Wolves' trap in the semi trucks.

They have not made this at all clear (surprise), my other theories are either a pen for punishing people or a training ground for noobs. The latter would be totally out of character since I can't imagine the Saviors having any time for people that can't fight zombies, but it's the only way to explain why they would immobilize most of the zombies with spikes.

In any event, a very poorly engineered zombie moat.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Rode out, on a really loud motorcycle. Like if they'd implied a time skip and more work was done to get out of there, fine, but instead they acted like Jesus & Darryl beat the level by finding the motorcycle in the middle of the fortified compound.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Perhaps you missed the last 6 seasons where it's shown that zombies make other zombies wander away - and that also they're kinda dangerous so not a bad first-line of defense outside of the whole not being able to bark or something - not like they sleep or get bored.

Note this is the same 6 seasons where it's shown that zombies accrue due to being drawn to each others' noise, and bunching up any time a tasty treat is in a single spot (e.g. on the other side of a fence)

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

In typical TWD fashion nobody comes right out and mentions his name or apparent memory loss, but instead communicates entirely in bland generalities, so Glenn's brother never really picks up on anything being amiss apart from this Maggie woman acting like they're soulmates.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

That clothesline poo poo was the worst.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I meant clothesline in the non-literal sense, like the wrestling move is clotheslining someone. I call bullshit because they've repeatedly established cars can't just plow through a field of zombies, torsos are heavy, but here are two cars with a line strung between them cutting through a dozen at a time with zero resistance. That shot of Rick just cruising along smoothly in his car (not unlike his push through the horde), torsos being sawn in half like butter. It wasn't awesome at all, it was a cheese-wheel level of stupid in a show that's trying to be dark and real.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

That green-screen scene had a lot of traffic going by in the background for the post-apocalypse, and what may have been an airplane (or a very steadily gliding bird).

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Some stuff went down here but I'm still struggling with the idea of a dozen men spending an entire afternoon arming themselves, burning gas and braving the zombie wilds to meet up and exchange 12 cantaloupes.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

Sasha about to crack what Walkers is code for on that map!

Seriously, how does a show end up being done by people that have so clearly never had to puzzle anything out on paper ever

How do they even find jobs

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I'm not going to stop hating Rosita until she both extends that babby scar and hardens the gently caress up, or dies, whichever happens first.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Rick was about to let Carl get his head smashed in before the cavalry showed up without even attempting a throat bite, how is that acceptable

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

The fact that plenty of properties around here have metal fences around fields, yet nobody in the zombie apocalypse can figure that out how to do the same boggles the mind. I guess the yield on a couple tire-bound tomato plants must be high enough. :shrug: Are there no Home Depots or Lowes in TWD universe?

edit: I guess they managed to do such at the prison but then fences (PRISON FENCES of all fences) suddenly became flimsy as hell, being able to be pushed over.

Just as the soviet union proves communism can't work, the prison proved concrete structures surrounded by fences are deadly places doomed to be assaulted by crazy assholes with tanks. I'm pretty sure that's the show's premise but I'm not sure I've been hatewatching for a few years now.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Despite a few stupid things that finale was loving rad and I am Goddamn pissed they are changing show runners again, and made the guy who did this whole season change the ending on some levels. I think Nick was supposed to actually die on the dam, for one.
He does mention having wrapped up Troy sooner than he would've liked.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I know a few people that have dropped off watching around S7 which I find weird since most people stuck around for the godawful farm arc. Apparently it's better binging through it but I'm not going to relive that bull.

The ratings are surprising to me since that they are promoting the poo poo out of in the UK with the ALL OUT WAR posters. Folks are just tuning out and it's definitely Negan

Thanks to the folks in this thread like Blazing Ownager that recommended watching S3 of Fear. Just got through all of it and drat.. I daresay it's S1 TWD quality.

Yeah I watched the farm season on a Netflix binge and it didn't strike me as out of the ordinary, actually liked it. S7 was probably it for me, it was just phenomenally stupid, and for a show that relies so heavily on firefights and zombie combat they haven't managed a truly suspenseful or even coherent action sequence since Noah got the revolving door. I'm in no hurry to stream the premiere, even considering watching FTWD S3 against my better judgement instead given what I've read here.

Fortunately Z Nation continues to be a good entertaining show made by talented people.

e; I mean trailers are low-hanging fruit, right? String together the best of what's to come, add some intriguing shots, hell some of the worst movies have roped me in with a good trailer and I walked out saying "All the good scenes were in the trailer". Even the Season 8 TRAILER is a wet fart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l82kiUvnKM

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 25, 2017

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

You should've seen their riff on the trash people last episode, holy poo poo. There was a guy in license plate armor. A man with a toilet seat helmet. Another disguised as multiple rats (seriously don't unspoiler that if you're ever going to watch it). There was more of interest in a 5-minute bit than whatever TWD's trash people did last season besides speak incoherently and take hostages.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I cracked and started hate-watching this season, all 1.5 hours of random closeups of people pretending to shoot guns and 1.5 hours of commercials, and there was a point where I became mesmerized by the lovely film effect on the clouds. It wasn't just grainy, they appeared to be adding a layer of digital snow.

That's my TWD season 8 story.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I disagree, watch only the first two episodes of Fear TWD, then watch season 3's first episode and ask yourself what happened in between. Spend some time on the toilet freely imagining how they might've got there, and what a good show about zombies and the start of the apocalypse might've looked like. Borrow freely from existing media, use your imagination and make some stories. Then proceed knowing whatever you came up with while working on those turds was better than what us poor bastards got.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

They're not even pretending guns have recoil anymore, it's awful to behold on a level that's starting to approach funny. So at least there's that.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

bobjr posted:

Carol should have brought back the ol' hidden Uzi in the sleeve trick.
She spent all her special move points on mowing down 6 men blindly from above a ceiling tile with no view.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

When Carol gunned down the front row of zombies behind Ezekiel and Jerry it was also notably bad, like they all just fell to the ground simultaneously with no visual indication of trauma.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I think it was always bad (at least after the first few episodes), but in the early days us TV-only viewers didn't know how simple and childish the source comic was, and the whole world of possibilities was ahead of us, and we imagined all sorts of cool possibilities and directions it could take, and now we're reaping the rewards of 8 seasons of giving really bad writers the benefit of the doubt.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

They say the trash people have over 100 words for couch stuffing.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I just caught up on last week's before watching tonight's sexy garbage people episode, I'm sorta bad at watching things so can someone please explain to me the Darryl/Rick TNT argument?

I thought they were arguing over whether to use it to draw walkers to Sanctuary, but I also thought this whole season opened with them drawing walkers to Sanctuary using window-shooting technologies, so obviously I'm wrong on one of these counts.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

What was I watching there, do they really shoot two versions of all these scenes or am I just failing to see that one or the other is dubbed?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Astroman posted:

This would have been a hell of a story, because I was rewatching the early stuff with Merle and he was an irredeemable racist rear end in a top hat. If they'd had a redemption arc for him that might have made for a far more compelling story. If they could have got us to root for Merle, well poo poo that would be amazing.

They actually kinda did for me, the way he went out.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The last shot of Rick under the tree with stained-glass, sweat level 80%- what was that? It seemed familiar but last season was long ago and was overwritten in my brain with other trash in intervening months.

I mean if there weren't so much IRL corroboration of Carl leaving I'd be thinking it meant the whole Carl death was a fever dream. But then so would be the assault. But then Carl managed a sunny last day of letter writing in the day before the war so I don't even know what I'm watching anymore.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Acacia REI posted:

It's also nice to finally have some kind of background info on where the trash people came from and why.

OK I'll admit to half-watching this last one, but did we really get anything besides Jadis being a cat artist, and being able to speak normally, and the rest needing to be filled in by the viewers' imaginations as to why a person would do bad word-talk and walk no-shoes in the high-high trashydump

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: I will never, ever let the fact Beth was shot from below at gut level resulted in her getting a bullet to the top of the forehead, both in that scene AND the hallucination version. I don't know what the gently caress happened to effects continuity there. I think I'm the only one who was annoyed by it, though.

No dude, that was so bad. I can suspend disbelief like crazy, have gotten into all kinds of low budget or unrealistic shows. This show regularly brings me out of it with stupid poo poo; the hole in Beth's head is up there with the Van.

This week it was the contrivance of 1-day prisoners worrying about prisoners' rights and exercise. Oh and swamp zombies rising to the surface to bite instead of going for ankles, which is what actually makes a zombie swamp scary.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I seriously can't get over the fact that every action he took and everything Rick said only works if Rick read the script to know there's problems with the Savior power structure.

That car chase (like the previous one) is trying to be Fury Road with the angles/zoom. Watch it again, then watch Fury Road and you'll see it. It's just doing really loving badly, like "Youtuber's first Fury Road fan film."

Seriously. If I had one animated GIF request of the mighty Moist Turtleneck it might be all of the "zoom in on Rick, Negan or the Jeep Guy's face (from the 50 cal chase) and mix it with the same shots, done way better, in Fury Road. It's clear what they're trying to do.

That said there's zero question that both Immortan Joe and Lord Humongous are better warlords than Negan.

PS: It doesn't help when Rick's beat to poo poo truck is easily, easily outrunning Negan on a clear straight road while he's in a pretty decent sports car.

To be fair, Negan's car was only going about 20mph so that beat to poo poo truck should've had no difficulty keeping up.

I like the little microswerves they were doing to make it look like they were NOT going 20mph.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

galenanorth posted:

https://screenrant.com/walking-dead-spinoff-frozen-zombies/

Instead of having a separate winter show so that they can use up everyone's patience even faster, they should have just produced 6-10 episodes of The Walking Dead per year with an appropriate budget

Frozen zombies are awesome! They're frozen.. till they thaw, and are zombies! This one-shot gimmick implies that we've got a worthy show on our hands!

moist turtleneck posted:

I have a feeling some goony fuckin war machines will be built by Eugene to chuck zombies over the wall

Probably not this next episode but the following one

Rutger Hauer did this in "Flesh and Blood" with a plague-ridden dog, it's definitely a solid medieval tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I was reading this article from last year where the author makes the point that 4/10 of the lowest imdb-rated walking dead episodes were from season 7 as an indicator that quality is slipping.

If you do the same thing now, season 8 bumps all but the worst two from this list, and it's still got 3 episodes to go. The only non-season-8 episodes to make the list are Negan's Lucille cliffhanger and the Tara oceanside episode.

code:
Rtg    Ep.
6.9	  8-9
6.9	  8-1
6.8	  8-4
6.7	  8-8
6.7	  8-2
6.5	  8-7
6.3	  8-3
6.2	  6-16
6.1	  8-6
5.8	  7-6
I'm surprised this last episode wouldn't make the list, because that was dumbest poo poo, bad enough to get me hate-spreadsheeting apparently.