Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I am not saying, at all, that good writing would be "Carl shoots Negan randomly the end." I am saying good writing wouldn't have Negan saunter out, humming a tune, in full view of a guy with a loving assault rifle for no less than 30 seconds - while hte guy with the assault rifle is there to kill him dead and doesn't bother to shoot at anyone but thugs.
Didn't he saunter out, humming a tune... hiding behind one of his henchmen? When he's talking he kind of ducks behind another one, and even holds him out in front of him. I got the impression that Carl never had a good shot. As soon as he started shooting he was dead, so he needed to make it count, and Negan taunted him into blowing it and shooting someone else when he didn't yet have a good shot on Negan.

Maybe I'm making sense of a poorly shot scene in retrospect, but it wasn't that aggravating to me when I was watching it.

Another thing the show's kind of poorly communicating, is that I get the impression that the Saviors don't hate Negan. He's not just menacing them, he's convinced them that he legitimately saved him. At least, that would make their loyalty make more sense. Admittedly we haven't seen any of that. The only Savoir characters we've gotten to see are broken and scared, or two dimensional henchmen, but you've got to figure that there's people who actually buy Negan's worldview. If that's the case it makes sense that no one's assassinated him in his own home- he's got legitimate loyalty there. Like that scene with the iron with everyone watching- the TV audience thought it was horrific, but the saviors there must have believed what Negan was saying about it being justice and rule of law.

Admittedly, pretty much none of that is being communicated all that well by the show.

I'm watching this show with my mother, who enjoys zombie shows, and we both like post apocalyptic stuff, so maybe I'm bending over backwards to see what's good about this show... but I like it. I've been enjoying this season, the way we get to see various different societies that have established themselves in this world, and I've found the way characters are grappling with their situation to be pretty interesting.

So... that's my drop of positivity into the sea of hate that is this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lycus posted:

But why would he do that? It's just going to Alexandria.
His whole mission was to find out where the Saviors' base is. He's found it, and now he needs to get out. Alexandria is as good a place as any to return to. Plus he's probably a bit worried about Carl.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Stickarts posted:

Negan's version of choice is "do what I want you to do or suffer/die". He has made that abundantly clear.

I mean, I'm a fan of cute and stupid little theories about TV shows but this one doesn't haul a lot of water.
Nah, he believes in laws for real. He believes he's being benevolent, and that what he's doing is what needs to be done to survive. It's not some stupid theory, it's like... Negan's whole schtick. He's not a sadistic barbarian. He's mister Principles. That said...

Eyochigan posted:

Yes Negan is a powerful dude. Yes he has a lot of wives. No he is not a rapist.
Holy gently caress of course he's a rapist you idiot.

Just because he doesn't believe it, and he hides behind all sorts of justifications, and even in the comics explicitly defines himself as not-okay-with-rape as a matter of principle doesn't mean... he's not obviously a really hosed up serial rapist! He is practically a walking allegory for coercive misogynist entitled fucks in positions of power who feel so entitled to their abuse that they don't even see it as abuse. He puts the women in a situation where they have to say "yes" and then hums a little self assured tune that he's a good person while he rapes them.

You're doing a great job explaining his worldview, and how he sees things, but you're failing to see that... he's wrong! It's cool that you understand him, but please don't actually believe him!

I think Negan is a really interesting character for all the reasons you say, but don't for a minute forget that having "reasons" for his actions don't make them one iota less hosed. There may be "more to him" than people are giving him credit for, but it's a whole different thing to say he's "not that bad" as a result.

(I'm saying this with a lot of exclamation marks and insults, but seriously, I think I get you, and you were only trying to explain Negan, and that's cool... but you made a pretty serious mistake when your explanation became an excuse!)

Eiba fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 7, 2016

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

That new show is supposed to take place in different time periods each season with a new crew every time, so it's not a death sentence necessarily.
Nah, that was just an unconfirmed rumor. As far as we know It's going to be the same characters and setting for the whole series.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

I just caught up on last week's before watching tonight's sexy garbage people episode, I'm sorta bad at watching things so can someone please explain to me the Darryl/Rick TNT argument?

I thought they were arguing over whether to use it to draw walkers to Sanctuary, but I also thought this whole season opened with them drawing walkers to Sanctuary using window-shooting technologies, so obviously I'm wrong on one of these counts.
Daryl wanted to blow a hole in the side of Sanctuary to kill everyone in there with zombies, even the civilians maybe. Rick said that wiping out settlements was not an option.

Earlier Negan's lieutenant suggested wiping out Hilltop as a warning if they don't get in line. Negan got pissed because "people are a resource". It's like poetry.

They might be wiffing a lot of the action this season pretty badly, and totally spinning their wheels a lot (like this episode), but I'm on board for the (few) scenes debating the morality of war. You could poo poo on them if you wanted to, but they seem like the level of thinking that people in that situation would have.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well then. That was pretty good. Actually, to my interests, that was kind of great. I am 100% into what this episode was about.

For a bunch of seasons this show was about survival against a hostile world. 8 seasons of it I guess. 8 loving years. Zombies and assholes kept loving with our heroes, who just needed to learn how to fight harder and kick more rear end.

We're done with that bullshit. The show is now about post apocalyptic politics in a greatly reduced small scale world trying to rebuild. That is what I'm into. Bring on the farms and the windmills, raiding museums for heirloom seeds. That's the good stuff! But people are still people. Sanctuary has a revanchist fascist problem, and that makes perfect sense! They lost a war and they're starving now. Folks are helping out, but you can get why malcontents would scrawl fascist graffiti glorifying their brutal past. Hilltop's doing great comparatively, but that doesn't mean it's free from strife and with someone like Gregory rabble rousing of course they'll begrudge any aid to those murderous assholes in Sanctuary.

The war itself was boring as hell to me and super drawn out, but it was all worth it for this. What does Rick do when he's on top? How do you take this situation and create lasting peace and prosperity?

This is when important and relevant questions about human nature get asked, and actually answered with various levels of brutality and compassion. This isn't about how best to kick rear end, this is about how best to live. I don't know that the answers will be good, but the questions and the discussion are fantastic!

I've read the comic, I know this will be derailed before the end of the season, but for just this one episode at least, and hopefully for a few episodes, this show is exactly what I want out of a post apocalyptic drama.

If anyone's ever seen the old 70s BBC post-apocalyptic drama Survivors, this felt very much like a modern episode of that, in a very good way. (Let's forget about the decidedly meh 2008 reboot.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

https://youtu.be/6ZqMb4ttaT8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I think the biggest issue with trying to stretch out a zombie apocalypse story more than like five seasons tops is that at some point it just becomes a show about a small town and farming. I guess these super groups are something different than "get place, meet bad guy squad, lose place or beat bad guys, repeat" but I feel like the appeal diminishes the further you get from outbreak day.
Oh man, I'd love a show about post apocalyptic small town farming.

In fact the BBC show Survivors (1975) is fantastic because that's all it is. No zombies, few scary bad guys, tons of farming. It's great. The best parts of late Walking Dead were all the cute towns- Hilltop and Alexandria were lovely locations.

I actually tried to start the Maggie and Negan in New York series and they cut back to Maggie's home settlement and it is adorable. But it's just a couple scenes between a bunch of nonsense and I gave up.

Do either the Daryl show or the Michonne and Rick show have any sort of farming town focus? I'm really just in it for the farming towns.