Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It would make more sense for the death to be Abe since near the end of Season 6 there was a lot of random character moments for him that seemed out of place. But this show loves random misdirection so I'm probably wrong.

My 2nd guess would be Maggie since she's already in awful shape at that point and it would probably be more devastating than any other character since she's pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Acacia REI posted:

Exactly. It seemed like the writers were trying to make her seem like she had found some sense of humanity but it just came off as weird and dumb. I guess the show just decided it was her time to have a psychological meltdown and it didn't matter that it made no loving sense. It was like Sasha just passed her the torch and was like "lol your turn."
Who hasn't had a psychological break at this point? Sasha, Rick, Carol, Morgan, Abe, Gabriel, and I think Glenn among the living characters...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Acacia REI posted:

That's what I'd pointed out in the post before that. The characters just kind of take turns, one at a time, and it just comes off as formulaic now. Of course people under these circumstances are going to lose it from time-to-time but I don't think the show is doing a very good job at executing it at this point.
It's more annoying with Carol, because she went from a timid character who was the victim of abuse to a strong character who was a one-woman wrecking crew, and then out of nowhere suddenly she doesn't want to kill anymore for people.

The others at least had their various situations which would trigger that (mostly deaths of family members or loved ones). I'm surprised Rick didn't have a bigger breakdown after his new girlfriend and both of her kids got bitten and then mercy-killed. Although I guess chopping 100+ zombies with an axe will somehow fix those problems?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Acacia REI posted:

I kind of consider his hallucinations in the forest of Merle while he was looking for Sophia in season 2 to be his breakdown. But yeah, not as long lasting or incapacitating as some of the other characters.
I completely forgot about that one. Which I can say for most of season 2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No, it pretty much came out of the blue so you didn't miss anything

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would have liked to see more from Bob and Tyreese, but Beth needed to go even before that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bobjr posted:

The show also tried to show Morgan as being the right one and Carol the wrong one, so there really was no moral issue in the show. Carol taking out the wolves attacking the town was great, but they tried to act like what she was doing was just outright wrong.
This show has never been able to do the 'contrasting two characters' philosophical battles' thing well.

If done properly the Governor arc would have been perfect, since he could have been a dark mirror of what Rick was trying to do with his group/the prison. Instead the Governor is just crazy and everything he does makes it very surprising he can function like a regular person, despite apparently establishing a functional society to a degree. They even led into this with the whole meltdown from Rick at the end of Season 2 which led to people talking about the 'Ricktatorship', but it's not followed up on well.

It should have been:

-Rick runs things by consensus from his group
-The Governor runs his town through fear and by himself

That's not even getting into how the Andrea/Governor relationship was a complete waste of everyone's time since even until near the end she thinks he can still be redeemed despite everything to the contrary.

They botch the same 'debate' between two characters' different views on survival by making both Morgan and Carol wrong at different times, which undercuts their views. So then neither one seems like they have a good point to make.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

So remember when they did that Governor pair of episodes, and they felt like a prequel story to Woodsbury if he didn't have an eye patch, because they were totally ripped off from a prequel comic and it was actually good and interesting and then he just suddenly went psycho for no reason and started murdering his own people so we could hit an AMC checkbox?

Just reminding ya'll gently caress AMC
The whole thing felt like an excuse to make up for that half-assed ending to season 3 with a small attack on the prison.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

I distinctly remember the end of the thread/season, the finale was bad which made everyone pissed and then that abrupt ending was the death blow. The midseason finale being completely dumb plus its own really bad ending left a lot of people antsy about the rest of the season already, so yeah, season 6 having both of those stupid things is what it's going to be remembered for, whether it's deserved or not (it absolutely is because honestly, only one of those being bad could maybe get a pass if we're being generous but lol gently caress out of here with both of those cliffhangers)
The season finale didn't need to be extra long for the buildup to that cliffhanger.

The episode before that they did a dumb fake out with Darryl getting shot and awful CGI blood spatter.

Carol's stuff was also disappointing beyond that episode where she and Maggie get captured and she takes out all of those women.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Remember when The Simpsons told people they were going to kill off a major character and people wondered all summer who it would be and it ended up being Krusty the Clown's father?
That was one of the more bizarre 'look at us!' kind of show announcements I can think of. Was that character even in more than 5 episodes in the show's whole run?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

Didn't that end up being Flanders' wife? Or did they do that more than once?
I don't remember when they killed off Maude it being a big reveal or anything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I still don't get the whiners, this show isn't remotely at "hate-watching" levels of badness. Dexter post-season 4 was the worst loving poo poo I've ever seen and yet I still stuck it out, and to this day I wish I hadn't. The Walking Dead has never even come close to that insultingly bad. It's a mediocre daytime drama with zombies, and now emotionally-manipulative cliffhangers and head crushings. I'll continue to watch because it's mildly engaging.

It's fine, it's a totally fine and okay show. Jesus christ.
It's not bad at all. It's at least moving forward the last few seasons instead of idling like it did in season 2.

I'm guessing Carol will probably have to go rescue Daryl now? She and Morgan are still somewhere in the wilderness.

I thought that was a pretty strong introduction to a new villain who is a legitimate threat. I know about this storyline in the comics but I'll be interested to see how they change it.

I will say that it seems like they learned from the mistakes of the last season finale and mostly just got down to the reveal. It was effective the way it was done, although the flashing of the images over each character was a dumb tease before the actual reveal of who died.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Or have Glen/Shane as the angel/devil on his shoulders

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I don't think people cared that much about the gore, if they did they would've checked out long ago or would be arguing more about the zombo getting its head rip off with Rick hanging on. It the was stuttering and the long wait while he tried and eventually succeeded getting a sentence out all while being mocked that probably pushed people over the edge.

This show had some good high points its easy to forget its based on a lovely uninventive comic book adapted by hacks who work(ed) for AMC. To be fair, look at the esteemed Executive Producer's pedegree:
FlashForward was comedy gold :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Half the garbage from this half-season was redeemed when Spencer finally died, that dumb bastard

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

I think it was done to show cosmic irony. If she had been rational, listened to Rick and stayed put she could have had her shot at killing Negan. She left Alexandria right before Negan showed up there.

But what we've learned is that people who attack Negan become his friend. He might kill or capture/torture someone they know, but not the actual attacker :iiam:
It's the people who try to be nice to Negan that end up dead..
In that last episode, Negan complained to Spencer that 'Rick is out looking for stuff to give me but you're not" - but Spencer had gone out looking and had come back on time. It was Rick who was late to return. That was really hosed up reasoning.

We also learned something about Rick: his best and oldest zombie-fighting buddy Glen was murdered, and Rick was patient. His soldier-at-arms Abraham was murdered, and Rick espoused patience. Daryl was captured and tortured, and Rick was still biding his time.
But when Spencer and what's-her-name were killed, that finally put him into the right frame of mind to fight back. Those were the people who really mattered to Rick, I guess.
Clearly Eugene was the bridge too far

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well I'm glad to know that writing those characters as uncaring sociopaths in Season 1 was a deliberate decision...I'm still not watching it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My favorite moment when FTWD started to lose me was when the military leaves the neighborhood with no warning so the 'family' or whatever leaves and decides to leave the gates open so their neighbors get killed by zombies. With the dad making some quip about his neighbors being part of the problem or some nonsense.

I was like the hell? Who acts that way other than sociopaths? They barely even showed the other living neighbors in that compound.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Saw an article about how brutal Daryl's beating of Fat Joseph was. They cut the actual violence out of the final version, but I guess the intent was to show that Daryl was just doing what Negan had done?
It was probably more of a 'character who was tortured, beaten, and psychologically assaulted in many different ways lashes out at the first captor he sees'

He just snapped. We still have no idea how long he was captive but I would say it was at least weeks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The one episode was 5 days but he was in there until this last episode. It's probably closer to two weeks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I may be confused because I forgot that the Tara episode starts in the past? Or maybe not.
This show is awful with time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I still have no idea why Tara went with them in the first place, at least the others have a reason to make the trip

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They did do a time skip last season though?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This show is basically Nihilism: The Series so don't expect a lot of casual moments.

Part of the problem this season has been the inordinate amount of 90 minute episodes that were not needed. A lot of things so far in almost every episode could have been cut.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah they are running into the problem of 'his story arc is over but we can't kill him off'

Heroes had this problem all the time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't like what they are doing with Carol now. It's pretty clear that she will snap out of this 'I want to live in a house away from conflict and just do my own thing' in time to help Rick take out the Saviors.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes and of the main characters I think he and Carol have spent the most time on their own

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Telltale TWD Season 2 was too drat depressing at times, even compared to the first one. I hope Season 3 is better with the time skip.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Really confused why they didn't just kill Gregory off because his whole 'I'm going to tip off Negan' B plot was pointless.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lycus posted:

Making Eugene into a legit traitor shows me again that they have no idea how to utilize what could be the best character in the show.

Eugene megaphoning some dumb Eugene-code that only Tara could interpret would be funny to me.
Honestly I like the idea that he is a big coward and is only working with Negan because he's afraid. They will do something to redeem him I'm sure. We already saw that with how he gave Sasha the pill, and it appears Negan thinks he is responsible for that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shneak posted:

Three cast members have been promoted to full time characters: Simon, Enid and... Trash Lady. Prepare to see the trash people in every episode.
Good for Steven Ogg...that man needs more work

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Best thing from this season was the Negan Matrix Lean gif

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Astroman posted:

El Salvidad is awesome and this is excellent loving news.
The only smart character from Season 1

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

UmOk posted:

Yeah they were the villains of Alexandria up until they weren't. It's been a while but doesn't one season end with Rick literally executing a citizen and the next start with everyone all happy?
That one season ends with Rick executing the abusive husband right as Morgan walks in

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Garbage people are coming back.
I'm still not sure why they were even in the season at all since all they did was make Rick do some errands for them and then side with Negan. Story wise that was pointless because we already established that the Saviors have a ton of people on their side already. Why do they even need the Trash People?

If they are coming back I'm guessing that Rick turns them against Negan somehow

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The trash people are just on the show so it's hard to say for sure about where they are going with this. But if they are returning I figure they end up on the side of the Ricktatorship at some point

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Princeps32 posted:

I liked season 1 for the neat visuals and the decline of LA, the actual plot and characters were annoying right out of the gate.

but yeah just kept watching, and season 3 was a fairly significant improvement so far, if still ham-fisted af
Except they skip over most of the downfall part. You can really feel the budget in the 1st season where everything happens while they are in their neighborhood compound.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Robert Kirkman and the show's producers are suing AMC for breach of contract over the TV show and alleging that AMC has engaged in a scheme to reduce the royalties they owe them by underselling the show's rights and overstating production costs. It's unclear how much money they could potentially owe them, but this is similar to Frank Darabont's lawsuit against the network after he left the series.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/15/the-walking-dead-creator-and-producers-file-massive-lawsuit-against-amc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's really amazing how terrible they are. Every time they have a big hit they get into fights with the showrunners (WD, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, I'm sure more...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean FTWD went off the rails in the pilot, so I don't know why this is surprising. Right off the bat they squandered the most interesting thing that the show could do, which is the beginning of the outbreak. That and all of the characters were horrible except for El Salvidad