Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

spudsbuckley posted:

One thing is for sure, we won't find out who dies until the very end of the episode.

They'll have some bullshit 40 minute flashback to how Negan became Negan and put the Saviors together before we get to the loving point and see whoever the newest character was that was there get murdered.

I dunno, that seems like it could be dangerously close to interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Sorry haters that was a good episode of TV.

tadashi posted:

Negan spends like 24 hours in order to get 10 people to submit to him, 1 of which is pregnant and might be dying, and their only assets he really knows of are their RV and an easy-to-overrun "home base"? He's the most ineffective leader ever...

It's almost like on some level Negan enjoys the display. Perhaps there is even a psychosexual element to it? Nah *loving close up on Negans dripping bat*

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Honestly if this show even attempts the Necromancer plot from the most recent comic it will be Show of the Year for all years.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'd like to see them at least try to explain how Negan was able to build up his gang to begin with. If he treated people like this all the time, surely all of them must at least deep down want revenge on him for killing their family/friends. Was he nicer and reasonable early on? Like you can't become some feared dictator type if you're just some guy on your own with a bat going around telling people you own them, someone would just shoot him.

Being the toughest in your little group, your group being tougher than the next little group you meet, etc. He's competent, his people are well fed, well equipped and safe. He provides order and structure. He's charismatic; imagine you're one of his guys during that little display, how would you feel? Entertained, powerful, those feelings are addictive. And he's actually merciful really, guys kill like 20 of his tribe and he only wants to kill one in response? You think Rick and crew would be that restrained?

The Negan we've seen so far is Negan on parade, what he's doing is as much security theatre for his supporters as anything else. Show Negan is already pretty different to comic Negan though, I'm interested to see the inner workings of his organisation for sure.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

2 for 2 on good episodes this season, my gosh.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

screamin and creamin posted:

So this Negan guy surrounds himself by desperate armed guys that he did terrible things to and who have nothing whatsoever to lose by shooting him while he's essentially defenseless against them, got it.

My impression was that working dictatorships have clearly defined in- and out groups, and that the main guy is surrounded by fiercely loyal armed bodyguards at all times or similar.

Negan has gone full 1984 and successfully politicised the orgasm.

But actually the armed guys he keeps around have loads to lose. Right now the people working for points, the 'proletariat' if you will, are providing the labour that keeps Negan's hand-picked army in cold beers, warm beds and like, they can have wives and families too. If all that costs is kneeling and saying "Negan" then gently caress it, no different to humouring King Ezekial really. Honestly Daryl was an idiot not to join up.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As long as she says yes.

All right, they're getting Negan right.

Yeah Negans "no rape (unless it's systemic coercion then it totally doesn't count lol)" rule was a nice little bit of characterisation. But a distressing number of comic fans still took it as 'see he's not that bad really!' instead of picking up on the hypocrisy/megalomania/social control of it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah Negan's actor especially seems to be having a great time and he's really entertaining to watch. It's nice to see someone having some fun with the zombie apocalypse and is a really refreshing change to Troubled Ex-Cop With a Grizzly Voice Rick Grimes

Negan must be basically the most entertaining character to play ever. He's like a panto villain that also gets to do loaded silences and sex appeal.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

No doubt about that, but Negan is around armed men all the time, men he broke. Not a single one of them was willing to give up his life to have revenge? None that lost everything he loved? We can argue all along how that would create a power vacuum and things might get worse and all that but if I was that Dwight fellow Negan would have been toast a long time ago and we'd see what happened next.

Why are you assuming he broke all of them? Dwight needed breaking, Daryl obviously needs breaking, but we've no reason to assume the rest of the goon squad needed anything more than the cold beer, warm bed offer.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

That episode was definitely the weakest this season, and the "seriously just kill Negan" argument just makes too much sense the way it was shown. Negan having like 30 guys with him hiding right at the walls was something but a few sharpshooters in the nearby houses etc, some more discipline from Negan guys, it would have helped sell the threat.

They needed a few lines about being almost out of gas or blocked roads or crops almost ready to be harvested or "we can't abandon Daryl" or just something to justify them not getting the hell out of dodge too.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Yeah too many characters introduced to stay faithful to comics but none of them get much development. I still feel like we don't know or get much for Aaron other then he is gay and was nice to maggie one time...

A TV show can develop characters far more efficiently than a comic can though. There's more time and the actor can do a lot of the heavy lifting too.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

some guy on the bus posted:

The show was never great but the characters of Shane, Daryl, Hershel, and Dale made it entertaining enough. I remember bad parts like that but I remember parts like Rick/Shane fighting and I enjoyed those and wondering what Daryl would do next before he lost all nuance. I miss the arguing and in-fighting they used to do. Rick/Spenser and Michone giving mean looks is a crappy version of that.

It's really weird to me seeing people disliking this season to the point of defending S2.

I really like how far they're taking the Dwight/Daryl parallels. For the non-comic nerds Dwight was literally created in the comics because Daryl was so popular, he's a troubled dude that dresses the same and uses a crossbow, same haircut and everything, the only difference is the burns on half his face. There's obviously a fun little 'the same guy, but came up with Negan not Rick' and I'm glad they are running with it.

There was some nice 1984 imagery in the compound episode too, even subtler poo poo like the tiers of cigarettes.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Binary Logic posted:

Daryl's been through a lot (and scarfed down many dogfood sandwiches) in the 3 days since he was taken by Negan.

That's a good point it is kinda weird that the breaking his spirit thing has only been going on for a few days. I got the impression from the episode that it was a couple of weeks but nope.

Astroman posted:

I think my personal perception of Shane was colored by the circumstances of the time, ie he was operating an a more advanced apocalypse level but came off like an rear end in a top hat in the Pollyanna days of S1 and 2.. I think I'd like to do a rewatch of the early series to see how Shane looks now, knowing what we know about how far the world goes with poo poo like Terminus, The Governor, Negan, etc.

I'd be willing to bet Shane looks a lot better in hindsight.

S2 was a mess, for every time Shane was Smart and Correct they had him do something all dumb and overly emotional. Part of why I liked Abraham was he seemed like a Shane that had managed to get his poo poo together.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

My favorite part of this season is they didn't even both to give Carl a haircut.

That'll probably be deliberate though. If they ever need to Carl to look different because of character development or ageing they can just chop the locks off.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Eyochigan posted:

comics: also they might be turning her into sophia from the comics, so quit moaning about the emo rollerskate stuff cause it may pay off later. and if there's no sophia, where does carl and his shovel fit into the narrative, right?

That's almost certainly the direction they're going I think. The little, comic spoilers, love triangle with Carl, Sophia and the whisperer girl could be strung out to like, half a season of grade A Walking Dead on the show, no way will they miss out on that just because no Sophia.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

crazy cloud posted:

how can you have forgotten heath

eugene gave him mad respect for his hair game and everything

Heath is one of my favourite characters but it had been ages. I assumed he was dead because of the weird unmentioned disappearance plus, you know, black guy on Walking Dead.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

Best possible TV crossover: It turns out this is actually Westworld: Walking Dead World and Negan is a guest on his 20th play through

Explains everything about him immediately

I like that. Walkers are defective and damaged hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

spudsbuckley posted:

What a surprise, the first new episode has Madison and Da Crew arrive at yet another secure encampment and completely gently caress it up so that it is overrun within a couple of hours of them showing up.

Is this just a meme thing or does this actually happen constantly on this show?

I watched the first few episodes of FTWD but stopped as it wasn't very good but if they do genuinely just comedy-of-errors-and-bad-judgement wipe out every place they touch I might have to give it a go.