Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Shneak posted:

The only thing FTWD has going for it are the locations. They're a lot more interesting than 'Georgia' and 'Georgia except not.'

I haven't watched FtWD because frankly it looks horrible, but the locations are good?

The main sell for The Walking Dead in my mind was that it 1) took place "after" the outbreak, and 2) took place somewhere not a major city like LA or NYC. Those things felt like novelties at the time, so a version of the same story set in LA during the outbreak seems like a step back. But yeah, I could stand to see somewhere not-Georgia.

I wish they'd been more ambitious about FtWD, though. Somewhere not in the US, maybe. Or if they're going to do a US city, something like Boston or Minneapolis or Denver. Southern California is so familiar as a setting...seeing the worldview of TWD transposed to a place with winter or mountains would be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BonoMan posted:

Maybe people, oh I don't know, TRY TO loving FIGURE SOMETHING, ANYTHING, OUT ABOUT THIS NEW WORLD.

This. This is my complaint.

Rendering more extreme violence against familiar characters is the most dramatically inert way to bring "new drama" to the show. We've already seen this, so many times. The Governor did this exact thing with Hershel. The Terminus people walked that path, too. The only variation this time is how vivid they went with their depiction, and it feels exploitative because it is. "Man's inhumanity to man" is such a well-trod theme at this point, there just aren't many more places to take it.

It sucks because last season, the whole "your world's about to get a whole lot bigger" thing actually grabbed me. I wanted to see new settlements, hear different stories from different characters. Rick & Co. building a ham radio and learning about different colonies up and down the Chesapeake would've been cool as hell. But nope: new warlord. I can't wait to see how they string out the next half season before the team gets the upper hand and kills him.