Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Bring Back Beth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The acting on Fear is fine to good. The writing and directing is super terrible and I feel like an idiot for binging through season 2 recently.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

veni veni veni posted:

Is it up for streaming anywhere right now? Terrible show but I'll watch it.

I paid money for it on the basis of "Season 1 had a ton of problems but I liked around half of it." I regret that.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I know it's been like 5 seasons since he's been on the show, but I still miss Shane damnit. Rick was water and Shane was oil. He was Rick's perfect right hand man and saw the new world for what it was. Took no poo poo and paranoid as all gently caress he was amazing.

Jon Bernthal rules and he totally owned the role.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

veni veni veni posted:

I'd defiantly agree that the characters completely lack any sort of interesting personalities now. They are all just generic badasses who are occasionally given some sort of meltdown to keep poo poo interesting, whereas they mostly started out with pretty distinct character traits that are totally gone at this point.

Graduation into badassery seems to be the main theme of this show.

This is kind of why I was bummed out to lose Denise. She really wasn't a well written character, but she was distinctly different from the rest of the crew, and the show needs that. I actually like having Gabriel around for the same reason, he's a lovely dude who usually makes things worse but I want to see that.

At least there's still Eugene.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What a weird fetish.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People are being really weird about other people saying the episode felt cheap and stupid. They're not just saying "it was too bloody." I thought the season-long build up was a lot of rubbish sprinkled with some good moments and there's no way it was going to build to something emotionally satisfying, and using Glenn in particular is cheap and stupid because we already had a long Glenn's (Not) Dead! bit that dragged on way too long. That said: I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I would rather have lost Daryl and kept Big Dumb Abraham.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Even at its most grim I'm glad the characters on this show actually like each other, though they should have more personal conflicts. I actually thought the end of Fear Walking Dead season 2 was meaner and stupider than this by a wide margin. I still feel dumb for watching that second season.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rick rides the tiger into the sunset, gentle music accompanies.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Remember when Maggie's sister disappeared and she didn't care and then she died and Maggie only cared about it for a couple of minutes? Odds of that happening with Glenn too?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I can't believe people are so offended by Rick and Negan kissing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I did not know that about ftwd. I stopped once the stupid teenager led obvious bad guys to their boat.

Go ahead and spoiler this, tell me, do the annoying teenagers die?

One of them has a pretty funny heel turn and then he drives off into the sunset with his new Evil Friends. He more or less kills himself flipping his car on an empty road a couple hundred feet later. Lori would be proud.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Blazing Ownager posted:

Fear The Walking Dead's characters make every single Walking Dead character look like a strategic genius. They all act like people written by people who have taken all the drugs.
One of the few moments I respected in the Fear finale was Strand saying "forget this" and letting Madison leave without him. Ophelia stealing the truck and running away earlier in the season was actually smart too, even if she gets captured by a roaming villain. Getting as far away from this family as possible is the right move.

Chris's new friends mocking Travis for suggesting they cook some eggs instead of immediately killing and eating every chicken at once is pretty high up there in my "how did these idiots ever survive a single day?" list.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I know it won't happen but the show really should end after the time skip. Let things be dangerous but vaguely hopeful and go out on a "good" note instead of just letting everyone die until cancellation.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Tim Whatley posted:

A lot of people on my Facebook feed are absolutely disgusted and uncomfortable with the premiere, which I still don't really get. I think the thing that shocked me the most was the S5 premiere where a group of cannibals in an arranged cattle-like fashion with clipboards and poo poo slit a dude's loving throat open over a trough like it was nothing.

That was the high point of the Terminus story for me. It was so clinical and calm that it made the situation feel so much more upsetting, where this new episode is just cartoonish with a ton of dumb build up.

But no one cared about the nobodies who died there, they liked Glenn.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Noah's death was much grosser and more pointless but I felt it was far more effective horror. Jennifer Lynch is a way more effective director than Greg Nicotero.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Anyone who makes reaction videos is horrible, subject doesn't matter.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm dumb, I still laugh every time someone yells Jesus' name. Stephen Ogg was great too.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Even with one eye and no experience, Carl is a better driver than the kid on Fear the Walking Dead.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Carl, Jesus, and Daryl going to shank Negan and prove once and for all that the strength of a man is in the length of his hair.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Acacia REI posted:

Pretty much this. I'll bitch and whine about certain things in this show, but overall I enjoy it and like following along or I just wouldn't watch it.

I basically like most of the cast but hate half of the situations that get put in. It's a weird mix for me. I'm totally fine with the show being super dumb though, I liked kung fu Jesus and destruction derby Maggie taking their ludicrous situation super seriously.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The distance traveled and the nonlinear structure were both super dumb here, but I really like Tara and I'm glad she's back.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's terrible drama but I thought Tara playing Sand Zombie Kerplunk was pretty funny.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Sand gets everywhere.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

How's everyone expecting the half season to end? I'm going with "cliffhanger where Carl might die" followed by a two episode Negan flashback origin story and nothing happens to Carl when the next half opens. Eugene might say something funny, but probably not, because he's sad now.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

This was easily the thing that pissed me off the most about Fear.

You have a loving boat. Sail somewhere that possibly hasn't been infected, or to an island you can defend. Don't go somewhere that is connected by land to a place you know is heavily infected.

The guy who owned the boat was specifically sailing it to his husband's estate to see if his family was still alive. That's not bad, it's just the execution was absolutely awful and they were being menaced by the Mexican Navy, who appeared entirely off screen and was never seen, even once, while shooting at our group of idiots.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

As bad as the writing has gotten, I like the idea of the villain essentially winning and thought it was a great way to open the season. My problem is they've spent the entire rest of the season with that villain gloating and dancing and mugging for the camera, and even the episodes where he's not around have everyone yelling "but what about... NEGAN?" I like JDM as an actor but good god is this character being overplayed. I liked the ridiculous Ezekiel episode, and then we don't go back there for months.

we are the Funyuns posted:

I think the zombie moat may have slowed him down. Just a guess.
I wish we'd seen that in this episode instead of dragging it out to next.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I wish his wives had been happy, or his lieutenants, or anyone. Show me a reason for this dictatorship to work, even if it's just an elite few. There is no one who wouldn't be happier with this guy dead, even if someone else took his place. I mean there were a lot of poor choices with The Governor but for the average dude in Woodbury and his closest soldiers, things were pretty good.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I don't see why any of them respect him either.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

If Rosita/Michonne/etc publicly murder Negan and his crew cheers them on I'd forgive a lot of this season's nonsense.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Most tyrants have loyal people close to them, it feels like all of the Saviors just hate or fear Negan. The show hasn't done anything to convince me that there would be any serious retribution if he died. Like, why would Dwight give a poo poo?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dwight probably should have killed him like a dozen times by now.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Negan keeps a harem of wives that are terrified of him or resent him and look absolutely miserable but go along with it so they don't starve or die or so that their loved ones aren't killed. That's absolutely abuse even if he made a comment about consent so yeah I don't buy that he's a great guy.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Eyochigan posted:

They are sleeping with him to protect themselves and not need to earn points.

Yeah that's a pretty screwed up system and a humongous abuse of power and not a Good Guy Thing To Do.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Eyochigan posted:

It's like taking advantage of a stripper with low self confidence, except the zombie apocalypse version.

Wow.

I actually think the wives issue is in character for Negan and not a bad writing choice. It does make him a piece of poo poo though!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

If only those immoral women had the modesty to say no to the dictator who kills people for fun.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The real message here is that the comic is, amazingly, even stupider than the show.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Negan isn't an anti-hero in any sense of the word, he's presented so far as a cartoon mustache twirling villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

John F Bennett posted:

Also, remember when in season 1 when everyone dressed themselves in zombie guts to avoid detection? That was weird, right? How come that's not a thing anymore?

They do this on Fear a lot and it's hilarious because they don't even use guts, just a little bit of blood. Turns out it's just as good!