Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Wow a new TWD thread. SA is heating up!!!

what a powerful seen

And yeah, I want Tale of a Louisville Slugger and Rick Grimes: Overmind real bad now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Because I hate myself, I'm gonna Zapruder the preview based on the last episode of last season. I am gonna actually show some deference to others here and spoiler this discussion.

In the preview, the blood splatter is on the right hand side of Rick's face. The person to Rick's immediate right in s06e16 is... Maggie. Followed by Abe. Followed by Michonne. Followed by Darryl. Followed by Rosita. Followed by Glenn. Of course, the term right hand man could mean any number of the people just listed. Maggie, Abe, Michonne, Darryl, Glenn all certainly would fit that bill. If we are talking "true" right hand man, it has to be Darryl or Glenn. From scenes, the semi-circle arc between Glenn and Rick is, as the crow flies, about 12 feet, with about 8 feet between Rick and Darryl. Now, blood could certainly travel that distance from a home run swing, but that means it would have to pass through 3-5 other people between to get to Rick. Kind of ridiculous, but we are living in a land of TWD physics, so probably can't dismiss based on this alone.

Of course, Maggie is, politically at least, easily the second most important character to Rick so she can't be considered safe. However, "taking it like a champ" (in terms of withstanding barbed-wire bat blows to the head) is probably something a deathly-ill individual would be... less than capable of doing, so I'm gonna rule out Maggie. That leaves Glenn, Darryl, Abe, Michonne.

As an aside, I hate to give TWD writers credit, but are they not building up a whooole lotta tension wrt to Rick's hand he loses in the comics with this preview? "Right hand man"? Negan taking his axe and dragging him into the motor home to be punished for threatening to kill Negan? So far, it seems whenever TWD tv series telegraphs stuff from the comics, they generally follow it true to form. Of course, Rick being one-handed would suck for the tv show, but that probably means they are all the more likely to actually do it.

For this same reason (comic following) I am putting my money on Glenn dancing with Lucille. Maggie's discussion in s06 with Aaron about not getting to know what happened to him, he's just gone, would be capstoned nicely by every single person watching him getting his brains beat in. Bumbled though it was, a huge part of season six was about Glenn surviving against all odds. I feel like both the characters and the viewers would get a weird sort of anti-catharsis from Glenn's demise. It might even qualify as a... good idea?

I know they fit in plotlines with Darryl and Abe that hinted at upcoming demise, but Glenn's feels like the missing puzzle piece moreso than those other two.

I just remembered - wasn't there leaked footage of Glenn dying anyway?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Maybe Negan intentionally kills the dumpster and institutes a strict recycling program.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Do you know how many jugs of canola oil it would take to get from Georgia to DC in a tank? SIMPLY INFEASIBLE.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

They need to go back and find Merle's elephant trunk appendage.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The show really wanted to juxtapose Carol with Morgan (which is a good idea and potentially very fruitful) but, as is the case so often with this show, the execution was just terrible.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Rewatching the series because, again, I hate myself. Shane and Dale are way more compelling characters than what we have now. Killing Shane off had to happen, but it still feels abrupt - better writing could have developed that story out another season.

Killing Dale and then Herschel eliminates the group's moral connection to the old world which leaves us without context and Morgan just doesn't seem to work as well in that role.

Others have said it, but this show is waaaay better binge watching. You glaze over the crawling episodes and you never have to wait a week to watch the glacier move again.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

That's another reason why Abe is safe. The show needs him for his snappy one liners.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

They murdered that old timey forest hobo in the way to woodbury the first time.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I mean I get your point but I don't think a TV series about the zombie apocalypse is suffering because of a lack of melanoma and gout.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

So you would rather watch season after season of "Rick looks for food", Daryl "tries to deal with heat rash" and Carol "worries about feminine hygiene products"? That sounds even worse than what we have now.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Rick was going to lead the group on a revenge rampage but they ran out of ibuprofen a month ago and now his sciatica is flaring up so instead we are going to watch an hour of him wincing while collecting water from the stream two miles away to wash Judith in. Tune in next week to find out she's teething.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Abraham hunts for shaving cream. Carl gets a cavity.

The number of bolts/arrows/whatever you call them that Daryl leaves behind, I imagine he must constantly be looting hunting and outdoor stores.

Glenn has abnormally large feet and spends most of his spare time trying to find size 16s.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Luvcow posted:

I was hoping for more of a diarrhea storyline, maybe a riot starts over people hoarding toilet paper

As a Crohny, this (s)hits close to home. I would be a bad apocalyptico, despite my pretty strong outdoor and carpentry skills. Because I have to poop all the time you see.

On a non-half-hearted troll note, the "bad guy only even MORE evilerer" plot line is repetitive and lazy. TWD hit a wall hard about three or four season ago and has no idea what to do with itself. And I'm still here.

Has anyone cracked out the old "maybe the audience is the walking dead" saw in this thread yet? Because we are.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 20, 2016

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Google could solve that for you in the amount of.time it takes to kill two people with a baseball bat.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

M-m-m-maggie... I'll find you?

That's the best you can come up with, Glenn? You had like two weeks under that loving dumpster, that seems like it should have been more than enough time to come up with something better than some Blue's Clues Carmen San Diego poo poo.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

moist turtleneck posted:

Do we actually know if Glen is dead? We never saw full proof from what I could tell

I think Negan said something about having a really good doctor. Maybe if they hurry? I saw he was still waving his hand to show he was OK there afterward.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I wonder if the hilltop has a well. And an Asian guy named Ben.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The comic's portrayal of this scene stuck with me more than the show for whatever reason.

That being said, the people in here excitedly mocking others who have expressed discomfort at having watched someone's skull get graphically and gratuitously bashed in by a baseball bat wrapped in barbed war is the epitome of basement-dwelling neckbeardia.

Anyway, bring on the society run by someone named Dane and his wife Tori who tell tearful stories about putting down his out of control friend Dick.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

What do you think the 100 heavily armed men that are actively holding like 9 of your people hostage at gunpoint are going to do if you come back having killed their leader? Especially after you have already killed like 50 of their friends and comrades? They still absolutely have the upper hand and absolutely have every reason to want you dead. All Rick killing Negan does is guarantee every one in his group, and everyone back in Alexandria, are dead.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 26, 2016

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah but maybe they're orks

That would explain my sexual attraction to them.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea but zombies don't even have sex so how would you get a zombie baby to begin with.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Do zombies lactate? Also asking for a friend.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

This is a terrible show for terrible people.

Can't wait to tune in again next week!!!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I wonder if this is the week we find out whether or not Glenn really died.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Thanks to the election I can now find Alexandria on a map.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Man, this might have been the deadest TWD episode posting I have seen.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Finally got around to watching this episode. Negan is great, but is already getting repetitive. How many awkward close ups do we need of him getting in Rick's face to know he is scary? I actually laughed out loud - in a good way - at JDMs delivery a couple times. I don't know the last time I honestly enjoyed TWD like that, even if it was simply three seconds of dialogue.

That being said, there was really just enough content there for maybe a 30 minute time slot, much less 60, much less 90. TWD goes for slow burn, but only gets the first part down, time after time after time. Like, gently caress, they gave us like 4 different close ups of Rick's hand squeezing the bat.

Episodes are tedious and poorly written. If Morse code eyes are a thing... gently caress.

Also, this show had me twig - why didn't Rick stab Shane in the brain at the time? Because that way they couldn't have the "Coral aiming at Rick" and "we're all infected" scenes. Which is to say, lazy, selective, ham-dusted writing. Which is to say TWD.

Which is to say, see you Sunday!!!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Binary Logic posted:

Glad I'm not the only one bumpuzzled by this.

Carol wanted to go off by herself and die.
Then she got shot and was going to die but Morgan rescued her and she was going to live in the Kingdom.
Then decided she was going to leave the Kingdom and die.
Now decided to sort of leave the Kingdom but stay close, and maybe live for a while.

Does anyone have better synopsis and explanation for Carol's current motivations / state of mind?

Pretty sure you just plagiarised Carol's storyboard from TWD writers' HQ.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Upset Rick, Mourning Rick, Agitated Rick, Traumatised Rick, Rageful Rick, Revenge Rick, Reactionary Rick, Resistant Rick, Perturbed Rick, Disturbed Rick, Angry Rick, Insane Rick, Hateful Rick, Vengeful Rick, Maniacal Rick, Sadistic Rick, Conflicted Rick, Violent Rick, Vicious Rick, Conniving Rick, Defender Rick, Protector Rick, Aggressor Rick, Martyr Rick, Sinner Rick, Forsaken Rick, Spiteful Rick

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

That's me watching this show.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Besides Negan doing his best Gallagher routine, approximately fuckall has happened in five episodes. You know what they say: Stasis is the secret to strong television.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Quick, someone TWD these:

GIFSoup

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Just watched the terrible, terrible episode and I see this and how I'm dying. :lol: this makes life worth living.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Character 1: "We don't kill people."
Character 2: "Yes we do."

-Every single loving walking dead episode ever.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

As I sat down to watch the episode finally last night, I thought to myself "you know what this show needs? More characters. There just aren't enough characters." Needless to say, I was not disappointed.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The only thing that has been holding TWD back is how few character storylines there are to follow. Luckily it seems the talented writers over at TWD are figuring out how to solve that.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I'm the adoring audience.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

If they find out Eugene can make ammo, Eugene spends the rest of his life reenacting Jesse Pinkman with the Trump supporters neo-nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

On the plus side, Michonne's whistling dixie routine was the tune of my favourite ditty as a kid. The Grand Old Duke of York. So that's something.

bobjr posted:

Negan is going to Mr.Burns it and get taken out by the baby.

"Who killed Mr. Negan?" season 7 cliffhanger.