Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Fog Tripper posted:

As are we all for watching it every week.

Maybe... we are the walking d-arglebarglebargle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

He was impersonating Coral and trying to take his place in the group.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I thought lead saviour would get replaced for not being "enthusiastic" enough to keep the plot moving forward, but they managed to do so without. He seems more entrenched now, but I wouldn't be surprised.

This show telegraphs bit character deaths so hard. Rapid and unexpected on-screen character development? Crack out the shovels, this one's going six feet under.

I also wish the show would have the audacity to do some of the things they hint at. The writers seem very concerned that characters get due and proper memoriam while still living which, again, kinda telegraphs deaths. I would have been impressed had they had Morgan bleed himself out in that grave.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'd like to see more shows have one side actually start shooting. I guess it kind of happened in that episode where Herschel got his head chopped, but generally both sides are just like "ok, now what?". Don't pull your guns if you're just going to hand them over after a bit of a standoff. I would think the side who started shooting first would have a pretty good advantage so if you're in a situation where some/all of you might die, why not roll the dice?

Not that I would ever miss a chance to critique this show, but TWD actually did this already - season 2 when Herschel falls off the wagon and Rick suggests the Philly boys check out Nebraska. What a surprise, that scene was actually super tense and it was shocking when bullets started to fly.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Ok so they got it right one or two times out of what, 50 standoffs?

For TWD a 2% hit rate is unqualified success.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

An entire season of Rick and Shane: Atlanta PD.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

It keeps getting bigger.

moist turtleneck is too good for this thread.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The best part of this episode was unquestionably Ogg's facial expressions. I never played GTA so didn't know him till Better Call Saul. He was great there and he is great here.

Anyway, nothing happened, again. This show goes for "high drama serious television seriously" slow boil but it doesn't have the cooks and the stove doesn't work.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

35 posts. drat.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Keep your ugly loving goldbricking rear end out of my beach community.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I thought not showing anything at all of Sasha's invasion was also super lame. You don't have to do "saviour depot invasion v.2.0", but I dunno, show her holed up somewhere and someone getting the jump on her or something. She wasn't prepared to surrender, so what made that happen? Again, the writers know what they want to have happen so they just force things to make them fit the desired end goal. Which is bad and dumb.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

DecentHairJelly posted:

This also sets up Aaron to fill the 'pathetic mopey sad-sack' role for next season. Because the show absolutely needs one of those for, you know, drama or whatever.

Now that's a username and avatar.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Not all of them. There were some that were meant to kill humans (hence all the turn back messages etc).

Anyway putting up spikes and bait and make pits etc doesn't take a genius to think of. Anyone could come up with traps like that if they actually stopped to think about doing it. I know the people on the show are stupid but I'd argue Morgan is just "the only guy who thought to build any traps" more than a "trap expert".

In the land of the idiots, the one idea man is King.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Episode was dumb but at least stuff happened. Got the plot moving just in time for a four month break.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

So when Glenn hid under the dumpster, did trashkru take that as illegal border hopping into their enclave or something?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

All this talk about Sasha masturbating has me ready to whip my phalanx out.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Shitposting about TWD is unironically one of the reasons I am still watching TWD. The memories... the amazing disappearing Lori, rats and alarms, totally-not-cannibals melt downs, murder beards, vanflip cop headshots, rape apologists, not to mention the constant quasi-autistic obsession over meaningless minutiae. We've all been through so much together. We're family now... I just want you to know... I'd go to bat for all of you.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The one that gets me is growing tomatoes in tires. I'm sure petrochemicals don't have negative impacts when introduced to the food supply.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

And Maggie clearly didn't know what she was doing while transplanting that blueberry bush. She wasn't making any progress at all, I have to imagine the roots had already gone SIGNIFICANTLY deeper than she was digging, and even if she magically got it out of the ground without destroying the root system, what was she going to carry it in? Not very forward thinking at all.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

And don't even get me started on Rick's gun tree. Who thought that was going to work?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

PHALANX
OUT!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Moist makes me want to be a better man poster. I wish there had been a chance for another scientific experiment this season.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Lycus posted:

Plot armor itself is fine, no one kills off characters until they fulfill the role they have for them in the story. The problem is putting the characters with plot armor in situations where they logically should definitely die, but don't. Like having an automatic rifle pointed at you held by a character that wants to assassinate you. Or snuggling up to character that famously munched a person to death while he says he wants to kill you at all costs.

This is it. I wasn't concerned at all when Rick and Coral were getting threatened because I knew there was a way out. Attempts at tension are laughable when you know the characters involved aren't actually in danger.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Nah, if you're relying on viewers to create drama for you you aren't doing a very good job of writing material. The reason the walking dead doesn't get any slack is because every episode is a hack job.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Serial authors back in the 1800s were heavily suspected of bowing to public pressure and changing stories in between releases. I'm pretty sure some admitted to it, but I'm not gonna go digging. So yea, Chuck Dickens was a hack.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Bates posted:

That's a lot when the rest is mostly people standing around contemplating the moral and philosophical implications of killing and death.

This mostly accomplished by grimaces and sweating.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Well I watched this past season in real time but it was just... so bad. I didn't bother to read the thread. However, because of a deeply engrained sense of self-loathing, I have read the thread and now tepidly await the second half.

Thank you for your service, Moist Turtleneck. God has abandoned us, but you are our light.

I barely remember Coral getting bit and just don't care. I hope he lives because I have grown to hate and disrespect myself much like this show hates and disrespects its
audience.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I actually thought Morgan’s gut grabbing/ventriloquist scene was surprisingly resonant/layered.

You have a man - Ezekiel - who play acts as a king. His throne is literally on a theatre stage. Morgan, who is most deffo not play acting, does some serious Shakespearean violent villainous poecy also literally on-stage. Ezekiel the Shakespeare-play-acting-dethroned-bard-king looks on in horror as reality spills out all over his stage.

So there was at least one good minute. Rick’s godawful stuttering was the pits though.

Also - the group of “claimed!” men that Darryl fell in with where Rick bit the neck out of the leader were the last compelling bad guys. They should have given them a lot more time and development. But then, knowing TWD writing, maybe that would have ruined them. So maybe we’re better off this way.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea, Rick hiding under bed and then Michonne and CORAL walking back unawares was seriously tense. They were also a good example of a realistic “made bad by the world” group. Instead now we have the up-uppers.

moist turtleneck posted:

Darryl the idiot was mad that he got the rear end end of the possum which is actually the good side

He should have cooked it way sooner too instead of letting it stew in a trash bag

Interestingly, this also p much describes my kink.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

This show is so bad. So, so bad. Just 45 minutes of :shrek:

IMO it was pretty brave of them to show the chicken nugget manufacturing process though.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea the show gets bonus points for eliminating a shitload of dead weight characters. Let’s start taking everyone on tours of the dump.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The deer was who was feeding rats to the zombies through the fence back at the prison. And yea trashkween is deffo whisper lady.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Dongattack posted:

I'd tell you, but you probably just wouldn't read it.

I didn't read this post.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Episode was still high on the trash ratio. Butthole vision? That Dwight-Tara “let me prove I’m trustworthy” bit was telegraphed from scene 1. Swamp zombies. Teleporting zombies. No one bothering to look at the sound that literally drew them. Doctor Highlander. “Let’s all believe in God..” time. But at least plot moves forward? I donno.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I hope they snuck some spoken word vinyl into that lady’s trade.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Bar shootout scene was legit tense. “I hear Nebraska’s nice.” The opening to season two with what felt like 20 minutes of non-stop zombie herd no ads with Andrea in the motor home bathroom was great. I remember knuckling through that.

Dale was awesome. Fave character still. RIP Dale. Shane plot line should have developed over 3-4 seasons, not 2.

The loving well zombie I think was the beginning of the end. But there are so many candidates.

Someone go back on Netflix and count how times Herschel shoots his shotgun without reloading. It is hilarious. It’s like 30.

The governor was always hokey to me. The show in season 1 and season 2 has a lot more exploration and world building. Since then it is just bad guy after bad guy, each bigger and badder.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Lol

But yea, season 1 was legitimately good tv. It was a nuanced and articulate take on what had been before that b-movie filler. Lots of emotion and compelling character development. Believable actions and motivations. Range. Then Darabont got canned and why am I still here 7 years later? Because I am and a always will be a sucker for zombie genre. That first season is literary zombie fiction.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Cactus posted:

Greed and stupidity. It's always some ratio of those, answering these "what the gently caress were they thinking" questions.

Like, imagine if they hadn't mistreated the show. Imagine if they'd gone with the attitude of let's use our budget to make the show the best it can possibly be, rather than the cheapest. With how TWD exploded in popularity as it was, can you imagine how it would've been if the quality had remained consistent, or improved, to this day? It would've been a calculated risk, yes, but can you imagine the sheer size of the cultural behemoth they'd have on their hands right now, instead of the struggling mess they're trying to rescue? Not to mention they'd presumably be able to charge a lot more for ads if they had kept the viewership consistently more than what it was in it's heyday.

But no, they had to be shortsighted, stupid and greedy didn't they, and as a predictable result they, and we, ended up with less. And that's frustrating human behaviour when you see it happen anywhere, but especially so when it's with something you are or were once invested in.

I agree, capitalism does ruin everything.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Taear posted:

The zombie fell down the stairs and nobody woke up.
I just can't deal with that.

This was the greatest 5 seconds in television history. moist turtleneck are you feeling magnanimous today? Maybe with your patented exploding body parts attached to the end of it?

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

It seems at least plot is happening now which is a pretty low bar to clear lol. I love my lovely lumbering zombie soap opera Zeppelin and the season-spanning slow motion crash and explosion I have witnessed.

The #1 issue with TWD is that the writers suck at creating believable characters. This show has long suffered from weakly written, bland, vague, characters.

The existing plot line as we have witnessed it unfold is bloated and in constant need of a strong editing to maintain internal consistency, but it just isn’t as consistently an outright weakness. Better writers could do a much better job with the comic material as a jump point

There is good action at times. The show is starting to have compelling little vignettes pop up again, which isn’t always the case.I will say that Carol confronting and ultimately saving a child trapped by zombies in the exact same way her own daughter was is pretty good tv.

I also think TWD aesthetic is p good. The world building is dumb at times, but I think this points back to writing but overall, I like The Look of TWD.

So yea, the main problem (its a big one lol) is the characters are just written so shittily - inconsistent; bad, bad, bad dialogue; different characters don’t necessarily have clear individualised motivations and traits anymore. Almost all the different characters sound the same 90% of the time and have no clear individual purpose for existence. That’s bad writing. Just constant grimdark from start to finish, but each episode feels like it has amnesia - so much of entire previous seasons and episodes have meant nothing of consequence for plot or character since. All the different characters just have reduced into the same oscillating wave of “good but now I am bad but now I am good but now I am bad but now I am”.

But lol at me I’m watching this poo poo and wasting time posting on the internet about it. Me the walk walk dead.