Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

not nearly enough ihedigbo chat

he was...so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

I stopped posting in this forum because they got rid of the divisional threads. Just too many posts in the 'catch-all' threads to keep up or even discuss with other fans of the team. Now I just come here irregularly to click on some posts.

Then boy howdy do I have a thread for you...

*adjusts glasses to see colors more clearly*

NVM!

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

Packers defense...is good? What is this scorcery

their pass rush is good, I'd be worried about that back 7 when facing an offensive line that doesn't include Ereck Flowers.

Because holy poo poo Ereck Flowers loving sucks.

a reminder that going into the game he was something like PFF's 7th rated OT in the league while Janoris Jenkins was in the 60s for corners, so if you weren't on the 'pff is poo poo' boat before then,

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

No doubt, but his long term durability is a serious problem. I would argue he's probably more valuable to the Cowboys as a backup or trade bait than as a starter at this point in his career.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

A Man and his dog posted:

Romo has a broken back. Like his spine is missing pieces.

That man should not be playing professional football.

:romo:

This too

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ehud posted:

I might start a "how to fix your team" thread

sometimes it helps to have plans and dreams

Post, I'd read it.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I remember having multi-page arguments with Jeffersonlives about how he thought the giants should cut Eli like 4 years ago. ~the good old days~
Speaking of the good old days, I'm going to try to fix every problem with the giants by doing a "decade of spectacular failure" style whine post. Please god I hope this gets quoted everywhere when the giants win the superbowl, because that means they won the superbowl.

Honestly I have no idea how to fix the giants at this point. They have serious issues at every level. There's not a ton of talent on the team, especially on defense, and between the lack of guys and the injuries, a lot of bad players end up playing a lot of minutes. Despite this being pretty obvious, they don't seem willing or able to adjust to their players and instead they just keep stubbornly trying to play football the same way they played it before, even when it isn't working. The defense last night was the same mess that they had last year, with tons of questionable decisions. The giants don't want to fit their scheme to their talent. They want to run everything a particular way and when it doesn't work they stamp their feet and pout and just keep doing it.

Perhaps none of this is really on the coaching staff though, because Reese doesn't really give them much wiggle room. He only drafts particular types of talent and only pays money for certain positions. Period. How is the defense supposed to adapt to getting no pressure from the D-line when the giants have the worst linebackers in the league for the 5th year running because Reese thinks LBs are fungible? You would think that having to trade mid season for Jon Beason a couple of years ago would have taught them something, but apparently not. We let Linval Joeseph walk because Reese also thinks you can always reload on defensive tackles, now Joseph is one of the best in the league and the giants had to pay money for some guys who are mediocre at best. How are the giants supposed to change the way they cover when Reese barely pays any attention to the safeties? Did I mention that we signed Dwayne Harris to a 17.5 million dollar contract for some loving reason?

Maybe it's not even Reese's fault though, because Mara also seems to want everything to go a certain way. When La'el Collins was available as a free agent and the giants desperately needed a tackle, I knew that the giants would never bring him in because Mara doesn't want anybody on the team whose name has been in the papers. He wants team captains who say the right stuff to the media. When Jim Schwartz, one of the best 4-3 defensive coaches in the league, was available and the giants needed a DC, they didn't even give him an interview and instead literally only interviewed people who had either played for the giants as players or coached for the giants before. When the team fell flat on its face last year they brought back every coach except Coughlin and didn't even consider doing anything else. OBJ is still a great player despite his brain problems, and instead of support he's getting poo poo on in the media by his coaches and front office members for "being a distraction". Meanwhile Mara gives quotes to the media about how Josh Brown is "part of the family and deserves the benefit of the doubt" after he gets busted for domestic abuse. Mara is a top example of the old-man play-the-game-the-right-way family-and-fraternity horseshit that plagues sports, and he desperately wants to be the yankees with all their breathless eulogizing about ~history~ and ~dignity~, which is all well and good as long as you're winning some games.

Then there's all the other stuff. Eli's inconsistency, which is only getting worse as he gets older and sees ghosts behind a ridiculously bad offensive line. Penalties, which are absolutely murdering the giants this year. Injuries, which expose the giants extremely shallow talent pool.

So I'm not sure where the problem is. There's some talent on the roster, sure, but it's scattered all over the place and nobody can play consistently enough for it to matter. Some days the defense plays ok and the offense can't do anything. Some days the offense plays great and the defense can't stop a division II team. Some days, Eli throws 3 picks and the special teams suck and it doesn't even matter what anybody else does. Some days everybody gets hurt and it's impossible to tell what was supposed to happen because the 4th stringers weren't ever supposed to see the field anyway. Maybe the team isn't even that bad if they can just get healthy, cut down on penalties and play more consistently, who knows? I don't. I hope someone in the front office does, because if I had any say in it this would be the last year they're going to get to figure it out. At this point I'm leaning towards "fire everybody, trade Eli to the texans, begin anew" because there's so many holes that trying to paper over them little by little to squeeze one more playoff run out of what's left of the old giants seems like a delusion. I hope I'm wrong and they figure it out and right the ship.

Oh, and fire Steve Spagnuolo.

troofs fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 10, 2016

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

troofs posted:

I remember having multi-page arguments with Jeffersonlives about how he thought the giants should cut Eli like 4 years ago. ~the good old days~
Speaking of the good old days, I'm going to try to fix every problem with the giants by doing a "decade of spectacular failure" style whine post. Please god I hope this gets quoted everywhere when the giants win the superbowl, because that means they won the superbowl.

Honestly I have no idea how to fix the giants at this point. They have serious issues at every level. There's not a ton of talent on the team, especially on defense, and between the lack of guys and the injuries, a lot of bad players end up playing a lot of minutes. Despite this being pretty obvious, they don't seem willing or able to adjust to their players and instead they just keep stubbornly trying to play football the same way they played it before, even when it isn't working. The defense last night was the same mess that they had last year, with tons of questionable decisions. The giants don't want to fit their scheme to their talent. They want to run everything a particular way and when it doesn't work they stamp their feet and pout and just keep doing it.

Perhaps none of this is really on the coaching staff though, because Reese doesn't really give them much wiggle room. He only drafts particular types of talent and only pays money for certain positions. Period. How is the defense supposed to adapt to getting no pressure from the D-line when the giants have the worst linebackers in the league for the 5th year running because Reese thinks LBs are fungible? You would think that having to trade mid season for Jon Beason a couple of years ago would have taught them something, but apparently not. We let Linval Joeseph walk because Reese also thinks you can always reload on defensive tackles, now Joseph is one of the best in the league and the giants had to pay money for some guys who are mediocre at best. How are the giants supposed to change the way they cover when Reese barely pays any attention to the safeties? Did I mention that we signed Dwayne Harris to a 17.5 million dollar contract for some loving reason?

Maybe it's not even Reese's fault though, because Mara also seems to want everything to go a certain way. When La'el Collins was available as a free agent and the giants desperately needed a tackle, I knew that the giants would never bring him in because Mara doesn't want anybody on the team whose name has been in the papers. He wants team captains who say the right stuff to the media. When Jim Schwartz, one of the best 4-3 defensive coaches in the league, was available and the giants needed a DC, they didn't even give him an interview and instead literally only interviewed people who had either played for the giants as players or coached for the giants before. When the team fell flat on its face last year they brought back every coach except Coughlin and didn't even consider doing anything else. OBJ is still a great player despite his brain problems, and instead of support he's getting poo poo on in the media by his coaches and front office members for "being a distraction". Meanwhile Mara gives quotes to the media about how Josh Brown is "part of the family and deserves the benefit of the doubt" after he gets busted for domestic abuse. Mara is a top example of the old-man play-the-game-the-right-way family-and-fraternity horseshit that plagues sports, and he desperately wants to be the yankees with all their breathless eulogizing about ~history~ and ~dignity~, which is all well and good as long as you're winning some games.

Then there's all the other stuff. Eli's inconsistency, which is only getting worse as he gets older and sees ghosts behind a ridiculously bad offensive line. Penalties, which are absolutely murdering the giants this year. Injuries, which expose the giants extremely shallow talent pool.

So I'm not sure where the problem is. There's some talent on the roster, sure, but it's scattered all over the place and nobody can play consistently enough for it to matter. Some days the defense plays ok and the offense can't do anything. Some days the offense plays great and the defense can't stop a division II team. Some days, Eli throws 3 picks and the special teams suck and it doesn't even matter what anybody else does. Some days everybody gets hurt and it's impossible to tell what was supposed to happen because the 4th stringers weren't ever supposed to see the field anyway. Maybe the team isn't even that bad if they can just get healthy, cut down on penalties and play more consistently, who knows? I don't. I hope someone in the front office does, because if I had any say in it this would be the last year they're going to get to figure it out. At this point I'm leaning towards "fire everybody, trade Eli to the texans, begin anew" because there's so many holes that trying to paper over them little by little to squeeze one more playoff run out of what's left of the old giants seems like a delusion. I hope I'm wrong and they figure it out and right the ship.

Oh, and fire Steve Spagnuolo.

This team reminds me heavily of 2013's team but more talented and less flawed overall, but with all major problems stemming from the same place, the O-line. Eli is going to get all the media blame because QBs and the fact that he's looked terrible for several games now but he's kind of a symptom instead of the cause.

This team would be competing for the division if we had an offensive line that wasn't a complete joke. The injuries this year have been sad but not as debilitating as past seasons. I think the problem on D is still with Spags, not the talent, and the talent is getting hurt. I mean we can talk about our lack of depth and talent but no team is stacked so well they can take injury after injury to the secondary like that.

But seriously the problem is the O-line. Our tackles are Marshall Newhouse, Ereck Flowers, and whoever is somehow bad enough to be the backups to those two players. Eli has absolutely zero trust in his protection and why should he when 2 seconds after the snap he's already trying to dodge the pass rush and then he panic dumps it off to Tye or the RBs instead of our 3 stud WRs, who haven't been able to run the route fully before things go sour. Watching Newhouse and Flowers is making me wonder if they have a legitimate competition between the 2 to see who can let someone hit Eli first.

All of our games have been winnable with a good O-line, and we've only beaten the two teams with bad D-lines that we've faced. The Skins are totally beatable if Eli has time. The Vikings, while it would have been tough, was a winnable game if Eli has protection. The Packers secondary is bad but it didn't even have to try since the D-line was on top of Manning instantly anyway. More time for Eli to work the field and we can win that game too. Ben McAdoo was good these previous seasons and building an offense meant to deliver quicker throws, but Eli doesn't even have time for those quick passes anymore since defenses know he won't have time to throw deep anyway.

All the Giants problems aren't that bad. Spags is a bad coach but the defense is improved to a passable level. Reese isn't a great GM but it's hard to blame our lack of talent at depth when most teams don't have the depth necessary to handle some of the injury problems we've faced. Yeah, we let Linval Joseph go, but Snacks and Hankins are actually pretty good. Vernon was overpaid but he's not that bad.

We need tackles who can actually play football. If we get that, and Eli gets another average second to throw, this team could be okay. Maybe not great, but okay, enough to start focusing on the other problems.

as an aside, McAdoo seems like a poor gameplanner as a head coach

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 10, 2016

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Replace Flowers with a hopefully game-ready Will Beatty

Clutch your rosary beads and pray that Jenkins/DRC/Apple can actually play a full game together because the defense has been great when they're on the field, even without a pass rush

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ereck Flowers was a top 10 pick in the draft last year. Is he already bust status?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

He's incredibly raw which is what everyone knew when he was drafted. He's strong and if he locks on to someone, they're hosed. But he has terrible technique and hands and as everyone saw last night it's very easy to simply run around him because he has stiff hips as well.

Really my biggest problem with him is Reese's insistence that he remain at LT. He's a much better fit at RT and he could be hid better over there while he (hopefully) learned how to play in the NFL. The Giants brought in multiple quality LTs this offseason who all expressed real interest in signing, but Reese told them they had to move to the right side because Flowers was locked in at LT. And now Flowers continues to struggle while Bobby Hart is manning the right side and doing much of the same.

It's really difficult to have a consistent offense when your QB can't complete 3 step drops without being moved off his spot because both tackles just get run by every play. But everyone knew Marshall Newhouse/Bobby Hart were who they were on the right side so them being terrible isn't a surprise, I just really would love to see how this offense would look with Russel Okung at LT and Flowers at RT like he should be.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Why aren't there any divisional threads anymore?

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Trast posted:

A long time ago the mods decided that they weren't good for reasons which I don't remember

I miss the NFC East thread.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The AFC North thread was a barren nuclear wasteland where two dogs barked off in the distance and the AFCW thread was a cool snarky place to post passive aggressive stats and picture of squirrel lokey so to answer your question I don't know why we can't have them

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

The AFC North thread was a barren nuclear wasteland where two dogs barked off in the distance

Yeah it was fuckin awesome

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Febreeze posted:

All the Giants problems aren't that bad. Spags is a bad coach but the defense is improved to a passable level. Reese isn't a great GM but it's hard to blame our lack of talent at depth when most teams don't have the depth necessary to handle some of the injury problems we've faced. Yeah, we let Linval Joseph go, but Snacks and Hankins are actually pretty good. Vernon was overpaid but he's not that bad.

We need tackles who can actually play football. If we get that, and Eli gets another average second to throw, this team could be okay. Maybe not great, but okay, enough to start focusing on the other problems.

as an aside, McAdoo seems like a poor gameplanner as a head coach

Iodised QQ posted:

Replace Flowers with a hopefully game-ready Will Beatty

Clutch your rosary beads and pray that Jenkins/DRC/Apple can actually play a full game together because the defense has been great when they're on the field, even without a pass rush

Yeah after I wrote that post I realized it was pretty unfair to the defense, I just really dislike the way it's built and how rigid it is. The free agent signings have all been good (or at least successful at the reason they were brought in), and it's certainly not like they're going to play green bay every week. It's just very frustrating to see them play a game like that where they aren't getting pressure so they basically just give up and keep doing what they're doing. The redskins game is still in my mind too. I still honestly believe that if they had gotten a real LB at some point, the whole defense would be vastly improved. Injuries have been horrible in the last few years but if the giants weren't already rotating in people who should be special teamers at a lot of positions, it probably wouldn't be as horrible IMO. That said, the offensive line is obviously still the biggest problem with the team, talent wise. It wrecks everything they try to do.

I get very frustrated with the way the team doesn't adjust, and how the whole culture of the team seems to be "just keep doing this and eventually it will work". The gameplans seem extremely rigid.

troofs fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 10, 2016

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

A Man and his dog posted:

Romo has a broken back. Like his spine is missing pieces.

That man should not be playing professional football.

It's a hairline fracture. He's not the first QB to have this injury, and QBs have had this injury and come back and played many years after.

Brockenstein posted:

Trade Romo to Houston, fire Brock into the sun

Romo's contract situation makes it extremely unlikely he'll be traded or cut before 2018 (though it is possible if a team like the Jets is willing to give up a 1st round pick). But Dak costs basically nothing so they can afford to Keep Romo as an expensive backup if they want to or eat a huge cap hit to move him.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Trast posted:

Not enough posters to do this anymore

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Oh hey while I'm going into histrionics over my mediocre team:
Can we get a good TE please? I wonder how much better the offense would look if they hadn't let Martellus Bennet go.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Blitz7x posted:

The AFC North thread was a barren nuclear wasteland where two dogs barked off in the distance and the AFCW thread was a cool snarky place to post passive aggressive stats and picture of squirrel lokey so to answer your question I don't know why we can't have them

i dont think kawalimus and i argued that much in that thread. he made a Is Joe Flacco An Nfl Caliber Qb? thread and a lot of it was in there.

the afcn thread was insanely cool tbh, just like the division itself. good thing it still exists. the afcw thread was awful much like its teams, the nfcn thread was a legion of packers fans fighting a legion of vikings fans over whose 4th string fb had the best racial slur as a name, and the afcs thread was where they pretended they had rivalries and also defenses. I dont remember the others much.

the reason they said they got rid of them was cause of cliqueishness but i dont remember that really happening at all outside of the few weirdos who keep going into the afcn thread to tell us the thread is bad or something but now that gbs is back i assume they have pressing matters to attend to

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

Squirrel lokey was after divisional threads

(I only know this because I made it, and you had best believe I didn't step foot outside the AFCN Zone)

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
Hey guys, the Bengals are pretty bad and I am beginning to suspect that Andy Dalden is not an elite level quarterback. Thanks for listening.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

blue squares posted:

I can't loving get over that the Romoless Cowboys are 4-1

*the Romo-less, Dez-less, Scandrick-less, Gregory-less, McClain-less, Collins-less Cowboys are 4-1

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Smarms posted:

Hey guys, the Bengals are pretty bad and I am beginning to suspect that Andy Dalden is not an elite level quarterback. Thanks for listening.

I think he was fine under Hue, and the colossal mistake was letting the person who made Andy viable walk, but that's just me

e; also the AFCN owns, and gently caress complainers of all stripes

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I think and was fine under Hue, and the colossal mistake was letting the person who made Andy viable walk, but that's just me

e; also the AFCN owns, and gently caress complainers of all stripes

I would think it'd be hard to get him to stay when another organization is wanting him as a head coach.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

pubic works project posted:

I would think it'd be hard to get him to stay when another organization is wanting him as a head coach.

Idk, a competent organization would have advanced their supposed plan of moving Marv to GM and promoting Hue to HC a year earlier than stated to prevent that

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Idk, a competent organization would have advanced their supposed plan of moving Marv to GM and promoting Hue to HC a year earlier than stated to prevent that

It's okay. The Browns will fire Hue soon enough because they are...the Browns.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/pff_sam/status/785576175494127616

hahaha

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just kinda left wondering if the Bengals D was really just getting dunked on all day, or if there was something else going on. I don't remember our O-Line ever looking quite so drat dominant, even in 2014.

These were my seats for the game; it really helps to marry into a family with a lot of corporate connections.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Greased the shirts!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ghost Dog posted:

i dont think kawalimus and i argued that much in that thread. he made a Is Joe Flacco An Nfl Caliber Qb? thread and a lot of it was in there.

the afcn thread was insanely cool tbh, just like the division itself. good thing it still exists. the afcw thread was awful much like its teams, the nfcn thread was a legion of packers fans fighting a legion of vikings fans over whose 4th string fb had the best racial slur as a name, and the afcs thread was where they pretended they had rivalries and also defenses. I dont remember the others much.

the reason they said they got rid of them was cause of cliqueishness but i dont remember that really happening at all outside of the few weirdos who keep going into the afcn thread to tell us the thread is bad or something but now that gbs is back i assume they have pressing matters to attend to

afc east thread was a flood of patriots fans whining about how much their team sucked and trying to one up all the dolphins/bills/jets posters by oproviding examples why the patriots have it so much worse

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

poo poo is good

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Borsche69 posted:

patriots fans whining

But you repeat yourself

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So I curled into a ball after Carson Wentz single handedly lost us the game to the Lions and he should be cut immediately, but I just now saw that the Chargers once again lost at the end of the game in fantastically incompetent fashion.

fishing with the fam posted:

I don't know how any medical professional could in good conscience clear Romo to play.

But then again I thought the same thing about Manning and the dude won another superbowl.
As far as I know, the specific type of compression fracture he suffered has not been made public. Considering they only expect him out 6-10 weeks, this leads me to assume it was a simple anterior wedging compression without any resulting stenosis or neural encroachment. The best treatment at this point in time is probably rest. His back is going to suck hard in 20 years, but that's not really much different from any other average person. He's had several spine fractures, but they've never been 'serious' ones that cause spinal instability or require hardware.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 10, 2016

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

troofs posted:

Oh hey while I'm going into histrionics over my mediocre team:
Can we get a good TE please? I wonder how much better the offense would look if they hadn't let Martellus Bennet go.

Honestly, I doubt a TE would matter at all given just how poo poo the play-calling and Eli's performance is. Between throwing the ball away every other play last week and the pitiful performance this week, someone needs to remind him that he's not in fact retired yet, and that he's being paid to actually play the goddamn game. Yes, that involves the possibility of getting hit and actually requires paying attention to what goes on for the 20 minutes that the giants offense actually spends on the field. Hell, the only reason he got a TD pass was because OBJ made an amazing catch. You can have the best receiving corps in the league, but if your play caller and your QB are asleep at the wheel, you'll still end up an irrelevant 5-win team.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I'm just kinda left wondering if the Bengals D was really just getting dunked on all day, or if there was something else going on. I don't remember our O-Line ever looking quite so drat dominant, even in 2014.

These were my seats for the game; it really helps to marry into a family with a lot of corporate connections.

Does your wife have a sister

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZachZaidman/status/785581971460227072

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I know for a fact that there were cheeseburgers up there too. :colbert:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ehud posted:

Not enough posters to do this anymore

Well if everyone wants to ride the "dead gay forums" train why would slow threads matter anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
John Fox is really fuckin bitter nobody brought him a hot dog

• Locked thread