Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, the DBs are loving terrible and it's terrible that 40% of the Campaign they're the only enemies. They really overused them. They're not fun to fight and worst of all, not fun to kill. Gears always provides a lot of visceral kills and blowing dudes up into chunks of meat or watching their head pop with that satisfying squish was the best. DBs don't offer that.

The GoW headshot sound is one of the most satisfying sounds ever in any game I can think of.

Never not headshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Servers have been hosed for nearly 3 days. Half the time I can play half the time I can't. XP, bounties, and credits are massively delayed and all of this is somehow because of pack openings? I don't believe it and I think the patch hosed something and they've barely said a word. This game sometimes. Not even gonna start on constant, lazy palette swap skins.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got in, and beat Horde mode! Unfortunately apparently it couldn't pull in the results so I got loving nothing for it, not even experience. It removed my bounty too so I can't use it again. Also I can't look at my class skills anymore. :thumbsup:

Still pretty fun! Was I supposed to get anything for beating it or just like 2000 gearsbux?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 15, 2017

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Oh it recorded but will take a random amount of time to show up. Their official statement is "we''re gonna check in Monday". Earlier thjey swore for the 3rd time the game was fixed and it isn't. They have elected to extend the onyx packs 24 hours like that helps anything. Next weekend will be Double XP but who cares. I'm nearly done with this game, company, and series at this point. Very basic stuff isn't in game and really all they do is release model swaps and rips very lazily and haven't changed much else other than actually implementing a system for leavers in the 3RD(!) update.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's good to know at least. It's hilarious how easy waves 30 to 50 are with a scout and if you save up until like wave 32.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

RBA Starblade posted:

That's good to know at least. It's hilarious how easy waves 30 to 50 are with a scout and if you save up until like wave 32.

If you have an engineer too you can run hardcore with three people pretty easily. Horde is all about teamwork which is why I love it and hate it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

tehinternet posted:

If you have an engineer too you can run hardcore with three people pretty easily. Horde is all about teamwork which is why I love it and hate it.

Yeah, I'm surprised that I got a team of randos who both knew what they were doing AND didn't drop at the touch of a hat. We didn't even lose a wave. I ran heavy to take care of groups and bigger things; an enhanced boomshot with some lockers to swap them in and out of works pretty well.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised that I got a team of randos who both knew what they were doing AND didn't drop at the touch of a hat. We didn't even lose a wave. I ran heavy to take care of groups and bigger things; an enhanced boomshot with some lockers to swap them in and out of works pretty well.

I don't get to play much, but add me if you want; I'll run Horde with you.

GT: I am Ahnuld

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

tehinternet posted:

I don't get to play much, but add me if you want; I'll run Horde with you.

GT: I am Ahnuld

Cool, I'll add you later!

I'm going through the campaign right now and it's not bad but it's amazing how uninteresting the three leads are. It gets good when Marcus shows up then it goes on way too long when he's not there. Also the setting gets dumber and dumber I love it. How does anyone even live on this lovely planet with the lightning hellstorms and ice hail. How did Marcus's tomato garden not just immediately explode? How did nobody tell the new guys what Locust are, to the point when they tell Marcus about the "swarm" he's like "yeah no poo poo children"? It's great. How is there a fabricator from "twenty five years ago" in the lovely mine? Why did no one use that to not get genocided before? Why would you even make larger airplanes to use when there are four to five lightning hellstorms a day? It's like there's three writers and they're all fighting to be in control of the story. The npcs are yelling about how the juvies are surrounding them while I'm holding down the chainsaw button and laughing. There's a line from Del about how Marcus and JD just shout at each other all the time and it's like "well at least someone knows what Gears is". :v:

It's a pretty fun campaign all in all, I just love how the plots get dumber and more incoherent. Also, come to think of it, I also love how the plot of every single game has been "Finally we killed the Locust! Oops we didn't."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm going through the campaign right now and it's not bad but it's amazing how uninteresting the three leads are.

Yeah it's really really dull, there's not a single new character I gave a poo poo about and I love Gears and it's goofy characters but man, they're just so boring in 4. My friend and I went through Gears 1 on PC after we beat 4 and it's amazing that even though Marcus and the squad are pretty bro'd out and kinda douchey, they're likeable and their banter amongst each other is fantastic. Gears 1 still holds up and is a fantastic game but I don't think I'll ever go through Gears 4 again.

Oh and gently caress Epic for making Insane mode bullshit in this game since you can't revive each other in co-op, you automatically die. Insane in Gears 1 is a challenge but it's fair. We gave up on Insane in 4 because it's really just dumb luck if you survive.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Still haven't gotten any of my rewards, but it did give me back my bounty card, so I guess I'm not going to.

e: Gears 4's versus stuff is incredibly good goddamn I just got around to trying it. Add RBA Starblade if you want to do some later.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 19, 2017

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
I'm having a loving blast in versus.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/HungryForApples/video/25972937
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/HungryForApples/video/25973290

Servers appear to be hosed though... just had two games where most players disconnected right after starting?

empathe fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 22, 2017

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I put some gifs, tips, and more gamertags in the OP. I'm on almost everyday with my friend if anybody ever wants to play. Right now the game really needs one damage model and not two, stop rotating out maps, fix the positional audio in Multiplayer, and stop the Region Hopping going on.

Here's some more gifs I saved I forgot to post.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

RBX posted:

I put some gifs, tips, and more gamertags in the OP. I'm on almost everyday with my friend if anybody ever wants to play. Right now the game really needs one damage model and not two, stop rotating out maps, fix the positional audio in Multiplayer, and stop the Region Hopping going on.

Add me: HungryForApples

Electricb7
Sep 7, 2012

>Hand over the jewels lady
gamertag- Electricb7

The Coalition is garbage. So many things wrong with the game but the multiplayer is true to form and functional. I can only imagine how great Gears 4 would be if they didn't suck.

Also I let RBX die for the greater good :3

Electricb7 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 24, 2017

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I recently bought myself an Xbox One and Gears 4.

I played through the campaign and it it had some fun set pieces but I didn't really like the new characters as much as as the guys from the previous games, it also seems to end very abruptly. The new weapons and whatnot seem fun though. I forgot how much I love that headshot sound too!

If anyone would like to play Horde mode or Versus please add my gamertag: RoboJoe Prime.

If people I used to know from the Xbox 360 Gears days are playing this, it'd be cool to get back in touch too!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This video just inspired me. Stuff like this is what elevates Gears over every other game. The skill ceiling feels limitless at times and everything is so satisfying to pull off.

https://youtu.be/fp3B2Jy8-xk

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

RBX posted:

This video just inspired me. Stuff like this is what elevates Gears over every other game. The skill ceiling feels limitless at times and everything is so satisfying to pull off.

https://youtu.be/fp3B2Jy8-xk

That was insane.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

THE ENTIRE SOCIAL PLAYLIST IS NOW PERMANENTLY CROSS PLAY

https://news.xbox.com/2017/01/27/gears-4-versus-social-cross-play/#SYtioyPyock5F4jh.99

quote:

Today, we are excited to announce a major step in the future of Gears of War 4 Versus Multiplayer with the introduction of cross-play between Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs in Social Quickplay!
Late last year, we conducted a cross-play Test Weekend to bring our Windows 10 and Xbox One fans together in public Versus Multiplayer, combining fan feedback and extensive data gathering to help us decide the next steps to take to deliver a matchmaking cross-play Versus experience.
Here’s a look at some of the top stats from our cross-play Test Weekend:

Over 750,000 Matches Played
Over 115,000 Unique Participants – 91/9 split from Xbox to Windows 10
Average of 6.2 matches played by Xbox users, with 11.2 for Windows 10 users
Over 90% of all matches during the weekend included a mix of Windows 10 and Xbox One players
Windows 10 and Xbox players had closely-matched results when comparing Average KD, Score and Kills per match based on skill ratings
The quality of matches improved for both Xbox and Windows 10 users – social lobbies had a higher average user count, and players completed 95% of all social matches entered vs 90% prior to Cross-play Weekend

When we looked at the extensive data we received thanks to the incredible participation from our community, there was a clear message – it works. And after reading the hundreds of pages of discussion and feedback from the cross-play Test Weekend, our fans said the same – it works.
As such, beginning today, Social Quickplay will now be a Cross-play playlist! This step is planned to be a permanent move for the future of Social Quickplay, with the first few months being a ‘trial period’ in order to monitor player feedback alongside data to ensure the Test Weekend was representative.
Core and Competitive will remain platform independent, only matching Xbox players with each other and Windows 10 players with each other. Despite the closely matched performance between users on both platforms seen in our cross-play Test Weekend, we always want to ensure our Ranked experiences are as closely matched and competitive as possible. Due to the major popularity of Social Quickplay on Windows 10, we will be looking at introducing new Core and Competitive solutions for Windows 10 players in the future to provide more focused offerings to experience the more competitive ranked play of Gears of War 4.
We are incredibly excited to bring our Xbox One and Windows 10 PC communities closer together in Public Versus multiplayer through the power of Xbox Live. Thank you for your participation, feedback and passion – without our incredible fans, this decision would not have been possible. Whichever platform you play Gears of War 4 on, we’ll see you online in Social Quickplay!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

That owns.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

http://streamable.com/7bw4b
http://streamable.com/1zi9b
http://streamable.com/zuisn

Now the only things they need to fix is letting more than two people group in social and the game will be in a much better place. Also the PC version is still on life support because ranked is dead, still a quitter and overall matchmaking problem in ranked because of low population overall, Core/social damage model being dumb, and some really bad maps. Give us Locust skins and i'll forget this stuff for a few weeks tho.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

I think i'm running into way more PC players now cause they are terrrrible

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Pause and look at the gamer tag list and whoever has a little PC icon in the bottom left of their pic is on PC. And yeah most PC players I've met were just as bad as the worst of XBone. I still prefer to play on PC because it looks and runs so much smoother,higher for, and the update rate is tied to your FPS.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

empathe posted:

I think i'm running into way more PC players now cause they are terrrrible

Yeah, it's a lot harder to move with KB/M and rifles are mostly trash in this so the aiming advantage you get with a mouse is largely negated. It's a bitch.

But it's so purdy!

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, it's a lot harder to move with KB/M and rifles are mostly trash in this so the aiming advantage you get with a mouse is largely negated. It's a bitch.

But it's so purdy!

Yeah, if I play on PC I just use my Xbox controller.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I've got extra Gears codes. Enjoy.

Gears of War
QVTH6-CJTDR-T76CH-MR3M2-7RTPZ

Gears of War 2
RMF2T-CDY7P-QGHYX-CTWTQ-RRWTZ

Gears of War 3
WDRV6-PPRY3-77MP7-9VCM7-6TT2Z

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

I decided to just max out my sensitivity it's helping.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Gonna stream some PC crossplay with a friend, anybody is welcome to join but i'll have to switch to Xbox

https://www.twitch.tv/rbxbot/

Mic is busted sooo gonna switch to xbox.

RBX fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 5, 2017

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

RBX posted:

Gonna stream some PC crossplay with a friend, anybody is welcome to join but i'll have to switch to Xbox

https://www.twitch.tv/rbxbot/

Mic is busted sooo gonna switch to xbox.

Is your mic actually not working or is it just not working with Gears?

I had a bitch of a time getting my mic to work (and lobby chat still only works for one match then I have to restart Gears).

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nah my PC mic is old and terrible. Also Xbox is having trouble streaming for unknown reasons. Maybe too many people watching netflix right now.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Feb. Update Details

1 New Map + 1 Remix (ugh)
War Machine!
Impact but Dark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quu1vSnmuHI

http://news.xbox.com/2017/02/07/gears-4-celebrates-valentines-day/

There will be a Valentine's Day event and they are changing Guardian so that players spawn on their Leader (good change).

Pre-Game Lobbies for Core and Competitive Matchmaking in March.

Legacy Characters being worked on.

edit: War Machine's spawns are terrible. If you dive immediately on spawn to get into a roadie run, you run directly into something.

empathe fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 8, 2017

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

One great map and one extremely lazy map.

A overall bad patch with nothing anybody wants or likes.

More dumb themed skins that ruin the game like hats in TF2.

We do get another legacy character like Dizzy tomorrow at least.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is this another million Gigs for me to download? At this point Gears 4 is 102GB on my 512GB SSD, and I hardly play it. Might have to just uninstall it because that poo poo is insane.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is this another million Gigs for me to download? At this point Gears 4 is 102GB on my 512GB SSD, and I hardly play it. Might have to just uninstall it because that poo poo is insane.

Oh wow I'm glad you mentioned this, I was annoyed enough when I discovered it had installed on my SSD, so this reminded me to uninstall it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Geight posted:

Oh wow I'm glad you mentioned this, I was annoyed enough when I discovered it had installed on my SSD, so this reminded me to uninstall it.

Glad I could help, the game just becomes more and more massive with these patches, I think it was 80GB base and now it's 102GB with the first patch which added a couple characters and two maps? The gently caress.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

To be honest it is a really beautiful game on PC.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My best friends are really into this game and I've been trying to play with them more often, but it just really bothers me that it ultimately devolves into gnasher vs. gnasher. I know that's like a Gears staple, but all of the rifles feel just completely neutered. Everyone always says "oh Hammerburst, and headshots" but my aim isn't that great to capitalize on that and that shouldn't be the only way to make the rifles feel powerful. I end up grabbing the retro lancer on every map I can since at least good damage at mid-range helps.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The Midniter posted:

My best friends are really into this game and I've been trying to play with them more often, but it just really bothers me that it ultimately devolves into gnasher vs. gnasher. I know that's like a Gears staple, but all of the rifles feel just completely neutered. Everyone always says "oh Hammerburst, and headshots" but my aim isn't that great to capitalize on that and that shouldn't be the only way to make the rifles feel powerful. I end up grabbing the retro lancer on every map I can since at least good damage at mid-range helps.

Same. It's boring as hell. Taking the retro out of the basic loadout made competitive MP boring.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Headshots don't do anything. They nerfed the hammerburst to poo poo in the first patch. You need an active on it to do real damage. In social/core the lancer is as strong as the shotgun and the enforcer is loving overpowered. The retro is strong but balanced.

RBX fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electricb7
Sep 7, 2012

>Hand over the jewels lady
Headset/Mic is forever not working in Gears.
Always. ALWAYS!

• Locked thread