Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Look at all that juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Soo-weet.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Commoners posted:

Look at all that juice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weTPrXIi17Y

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Loving this game but my only gripe so far is people leaving Horde mode. You retain all your exp no matter when you leave and the game doesn't match new players in. After 1 person rage quits it's only a matter of minutes before the 2nd and 3rd person leave. There is no incentive to stay when it gets challenging.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does Gears 4 bring back all of the ladders and ranking stuff for multiplayer? I loved that about Epic Games titles.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I said come in! posted:

Does Gears 4 bring back all of the ladders and ranking stuff for multiplayer? I loved that about Epic Games titles.

Yes. I'm not sure how it works but I've noticed my rank improve over night when I wasn't even playing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

96 spacejam posted:

Gears virgin here. Can I get some general tips for competitive multiplayer?

Learn to wallbounce, its sadly VERY fundamental in PvP because Coalition is retarded.

What is wallbouncing you ask? Its pressing the button to go to cover and canceling before you actually take cover, done right you can basically bounce like a coked up lunatic between walls, it looks stupid as poo poo, it is stupid as poo poo but its you wanna be even remotely competitive its necessary, keep in mind you need to do this while also being accurate with the Gnasher, I'll get back to you guys on tuesday about the bullet spread, in UD the gnasher spread came out from the middle of the screen and not the barrel, not sure how it is in Gears 4.

Also one thing anyone interested in PvP must know, according to one of the developers poo poo does more damage in social play and bullets magnetize more, its the opposite in competitive, no clue why they did this poo poo.

Add me folks, GT is AchyHippo, will be playing a lot of Horde mode.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Shotgun shoots from the barrel in this game.

Alteisen posted:

Also one thing anyone interested in PvP must know, according to one of the developers poo poo does more damage in social play and bullets magnetize more, its the opposite in competitive, no clue why they did this poo poo.

What the hell? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That's like learning two different games. I heard that earlier and didn't believe it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Competitive mode has execution rules anyway so I'll easily ignore it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RBX posted:

Shotgun shoots from the barrel in this game.

What the hell? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That's like learning two different games. I heard that earlier and didn't believe it.

Yea a streamer who's buddy, buddy with the coalition was told this and he told his audience.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I used to hate warzone for reasons I can't remember. I still prefer execution for the team work it tries to promote but war zone is fine. But really gently caress respawns in Gears. Ruins the whole feel and tense moments it created. No more map control, respawn protection deaths, and power weapons are even more important. I used to take pride in actively avoiding using power weapons and still being top kills.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so halo and gears now have both been palmed off to lovely devs that were spun up entirely to continue milking the cow and the core gameplay ruined because they only asked the pro players what they liked about the games PvP gameplay and didnt even factor in the millions of casual to enthusiast level players that like to have fun without getting autistic about it.

good work MS.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Laserface posted:

so halo and gears now have both been palmed off to lovely devs that were spun up entirely to continue milking the cow and the core gameplay ruined because they only asked the pro players what they liked about the games PvP gameplay and didnt even factor in the millions of casual to enthusiast level players that like to have fun without getting autistic about it.

good work MS.

Core gameplay is identical to Gears 3 and most people agree the Gnasher's in the best spot its ever been, its just the social/comp change that's stupid.

Also this might be the one campaign I won't do on insane, there's no DNBO state in insane, if someone dies its a restart for both and the enemy A.I is cranked up to 11.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Laserface posted:

good work MS.

At least Halo 5 got free multiplayer DLC. We have to fork out an unreasonable amount of money for the maps for Gears 4. :/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did they fix up the level demoed at E3? The one during the hurricane? The way the npcs rag dolled to the ground and shot off like a rocket when they were killed just looked too janky for me.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
My brother is picking up a copy. If I sign into my account on his XB1 can I claim the free PC copy on my computer? Or will I have to play it on my PC with his account?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

At least Halo 5 got free multiplayer DLC. We have to fork out an unreasonable amount of money for the maps for Gears 4. :/

Incorrect, the maps will be free and anyone can play them, the only thing season pass holders get is a special playlist for it and early access to them, what coalition is gonna do is rotate them constantly in every other playlist.

quote:

My brother is picking up a copy. If I sign into my account on his XB1 can I claim the free PC copy on my computer? Or will I have to play it on my PC with his account?

Has to be on his account on your PC.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did they fix up the level demoed at E3? The one during the hurricane? The way the npcs rag dolled to the ground and shot off like a rocket when they were killed just looked too janky for me.

It looked fine to me in the campaign.

That part where you need to use the old locust catapult to destroy a bunker is awful though. You have to pretty much pixel perfect to hit it with your squad nagging you every time you miss

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So is this series kind of like Call of Duty with a single-player campaign high on cheese and spectacle, and the main focus is on competitive multiplayer and this Horde mode people seem to like? I played GoW1 what feels like a decade ago on PC and while yeah the cover system was loving amazing back then these days that isn't really a special feature.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
I'm really enjoying the game I really don't know what people want or are expecting.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

empathe posted:

I'm really enjoying the game I really don't know what people want or are expecting.
Well I didn't mean my question in a bad way so if anyone's playing it right now my only question is; does this add anything new to how the game is played or is it a sixty-dollar GoW3 expansion pack?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

You might as well call every sequel an expansion pack. The single players have all been great and really fun alone or in coop. Very replayable. Multiplayer was a happy last minute accident in Gears 1 and has evolved since (for better or worse).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pierson posted:

Well I didn't mean my question in a bad way so if anyone's playing it right now my only question is; does this add anything new to how the game is played or is it a sixty-dollar GoW3 expansion pack?

It has a different feel to me imo. Everything feels much more polished from the animations to the weapon balance.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Animations and stuff are better but ultimately it's the same poo poo as the other Gears games. But it's good poo poo so if you liked that stuff you'll probably like 4.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the windows store is the single biggest piece of poo poo i've ever had to deal with, this lovely store program has frozen my computer three times at 50 gigabytes and then the download refuses to resume. I've wasted so much bandwidth on this game because of their garbage lovely store program.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How optimized is this game on PC? I'm barely at the suggested minimum specs.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Caesar Saladin posted:

the windows store is the single biggest piece of poo poo i've ever had to deal with, this lovely store program has frozen my computer three times at 50 gigabytes and then the download refuses to resume. I've wasted so much bandwidth on this game because of their garbage lovely store program.

I had 0 issues downloading it or getting the store to work, might your PC that's the issue.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Alteisen posted:

I had 0 issues downloading it or getting the store to work, might your PC that's the issue.

Nah my poo poo is fine, its literally the store. Tons of people on neogaf have the same lovely issues with it freezing and dying. I just need to keep wasting bandwith.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

How optimized is this game on PC? I'm barely at the suggested minimum specs.

Well optimized from everything I see.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Incorrect, the maps will be free and anyone can play them, the only thing season pass holders get is a special playlist for it and early access to them, what coalition is gonna do is rotate them constantly in every other playlist.

I am glad to be wrong in this case. :O

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

Nah my poo poo is fine, its literally the store. Tons of people on neogaf have the same lovely issues with it freezing and dying. I just need to keep wasting bandwith.

Yeah, it's definitely not just you. Loads of people have been having troubles with the downloads of this and Forza Horizon 3 through that awful store. You got that latest Windows Update that came out last week? It was at least an attempt to fix it. I was lucky that, while it did take a week to finally get the download started, I got the whole thing in one go.

Adding everyone from the last couple of pages to my Xbox list. If you see a request from GT Tele Viper, that's me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So is the story any good, or is it a lazy "gears 3 ended the story but we need an excuse to fight locusts again so here's more bug monsters" type of deal? I'm hoping they put some effort into it because underneath the crazy gorefest veneer I've always thought the gears setting was pretty interesting and the characters were fun meatheads.

Also, I bought a GTX 1070 for my desktop and it was supposed to come with a coupon for a free download of Gears 4, but I can't find the coupon anywhere. poo poo.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 11, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Caesar Saladin posted:

Man that's weird then, wonder why it didn't give me trouble.

quote:

I am glad to be wrong in this case. :O

Yea the season pass isn't even remotely worth it unless you really want the unique skins that come with it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So is the story any good, or is it a lazy "gears 3 ended the story but we need an excuse to fight locusts again so here's more bug monsters" type of deal? I'm hoping they put some effort into it because underneath the crazy gorefest veneer I've always thought the gears setting was pretty interesting and the characters were fun meatheads.

Also, I bought a GTX 1070 for my desktop and it was supposed to come with a coupon for a free download of Gears 4, but I can't find the coupon anywhere. poo poo.

There's some interesting new ideas like going up against the COG, seeing the aftermath of the locust war and that Sera seems to be falling apart but it's still nothing really surprising. The two male main characters are boring as gently caress but Kait and her family are cool. It's ends kinda abruptly but on an interesting cliffhanger.

If you liked the campaigns in the older games, you probably won't be disappointed by this one.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 11, 2016

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think you have to put your model number on nvidia''s site or something. Its a recent addition so code's prolly wont be in the box.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arcsquad12 posted:

Check your email inbox, I bought mine from Microcenter and they emailed it to me.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Codes come direct from the retailer via email. The promo was only through select retailers too, so unless you bought it from a store at the bottom of this, link, you're out of luck. If you did, you need to contact them.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/gears-of-war-4-bundle

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

barren_sky posted:

Codes come direct from the retailer via email. The promo was only through select retailers too, so unless you bought it from a store at the bottom of this, link, you're out of luck. If you did, you need to contact them.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/gears-of-war-4-bundle

That did it. Found my email as well. For some reason my mailbox had hidden everything Newegg had emailed me.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Anyone else having trouble connecting to a Horde game? After about 5 minutes me and then kicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Seems good so far. Multi brings back memories of good GoW multi and not bad. I'm playing on PC but somehow kb/m is absolutely horrible and I do much better in multiplayer with a dualshock 4.

• Locked thread