Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Ewww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The loving A.I stick nades on you if gets to close. :newlol:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Having a nice time on the pc with a bud so far.At the moment I love how the COG conveniently replaced all their forces with robots so the protagonists don't have to deal with any pesky issues of morality in regards to killing soldiers.

Also where the hell does windows install the game data, and is there any way to get a Steam overlay to work with it?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

ChickenHeart posted:

Having a nice time on the pc with a bud so far.At the moment I love how the COG conveniently replaced all their forces with robots so the protagonists don't have to deal with any pesky issues of morality in regards to killing soldiers.

Also where the hell does windows install the game data, and is there any way to get a Steam overlay to work with it?

There's no way to get the steam overlay to work right now. Best you can do for now is this: https://brianlima.github.io/UWPHook/

Used it for Horizon 3 and this, it'll show you on steam as playing that game and let you launch it from steam, but there's no overlay. Not much of another way to do it right now, as UWP apps don't just launch from exes like you might do for other non-steam games.

edit: folder is WindowsApps\Microsoft.SpartaUWP_9.1.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 11, 2016

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
how the gently caress do I redeem this, got a code with my new graphics card

I redeemed it and got an email that I AM GEARED UP and an order code and no download link

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

texting my ex posted:

how the gently caress do I redeem this, got a code with my new graphics card

I redeemed it and got an email that I AM GEARED UP and an order code and no download link

Redeem that code on the windows / xbox store.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

It's the best controller in gaming.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

It's the best controller in gaming.

Uhh, no. Xbox has always had the better controller except when I was 10 and had tiny girl hands.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

PC players are campaigning for true cross play and console players are adamant they don't want it because of the KB&M boogeyman. I really hope they don't block it from happening.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

beaner69 posted:

Uhh, no. Xbox has always had the better controller except when I was 10 and had tiny girl hands.

oh for sure man

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

RBX posted:

PC players are campaigning for true cross play and console players are adamant they don't want it because of the KB&M boogeyman. I really hope they don't block it from happening.

Mouse and keyboard is balanced by PC players being bad at any game that isn't League or Counter-Strike.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Runs like an utter dream on my PC. i5 3470, 8gb ram and a 6gb 1060. average of around mid 70's fps with almost everything defaulted to ultra. Now I only wish that the retro lancer wasn't a pickup in 4 because that was my go-to loadout in GoW3 against the loving sawn off babies.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

ChickenHeart posted:

The population has been decimated following the Locust War as well. It's definitely convenient to fight robots and monsters but there's a decent reason for it in the story.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

The pc port is optimized as gently caress. Super duper smooth in all situations / scenes so far.

sp00nman
May 14, 2004

All this Christmas spirit is gives me a raging boner!

Mr.Citrus posted:

The pc port is optimized as gently caress. Super duper smooth in all situations / scenes so far.
Yes, it is pretty amazing the first couple levels I have played.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing on an i5-2500K/970 w/ settings at Ultra, capped at 60 fps and it only dips a few frames below that for maybe second when there's a ton of explosions going off at once. Otherwise it's been completely smooth. It's honestly the best PC port I've played in recent memory, I sure hope it sets the standard for future MS published games on PC.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Sinx81 and I played horde and there was a pc player and everything went well.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Core is stupid. My friend and I started up a game of KOTH. Within 15 seconds all three of our teammates leave, I have no idea why the round barely started. Not like we were getting destroyed. So now its 2 V 5 and we can either have no fun getting annihilated for 3 straight rounds, or we can leave and take the leaving penalty. Thanks Gears 4! Its definitely a good idea to put innocent players in a no-win scenario due to things entirely out of their control. Why can't I choose to play social KOTH, no leaving penalty, and if someone leaves theyre replaced by a bot and eventually a joining player?

However gears has always owned and still does, and I love shooting people as a soulless uncaring robot.

E: also I'm surprised that so many people are in it just for Horde. I've always preferred blasting real dudes apart with my shotgun, but I do have to say they've made a lot of good decisions with Horde this time around. I like the class system. Oh and dodgeball also rules.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 11, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I know versus isn't, but is the campaign cross-play as well as horde mode? I might pick it up later if it is.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, anything that isn't player-vs-player is crossplay.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FuriousGeorge posted:

Yeah, anything that isn't player-vs-player is crossplay.

Cool thanks. My brother has an Xbone and is probably getting it there, but I've got a PS4 and also don't care about pvp anymore really.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really hope they add full crossplay. Yeah PC would be able to aim better but I think controller users would have advantages in movement so it balances out a bit more than with FPSs.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Matchmaking quality will always depend on player population. Game just actually released today.

Hoping it will improve as more people dip into multi.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I really hope they add full crossplay. Yeah PC would be able to aim better but I think controller users would have advantages in movement so it balances out a bit more than with FPSs.

Wall bouncing is stupid easy on pad and actually beats a lot of m&k users.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah no way a M&KB beats as controller and anyone who take the game seriously enough uses a controller anyway. Console people are just really scared for no reason.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I wish they focused more on the drop-in/drop-out style of matchmaking. Even in co-op, I can't just pop into someone's game, or leave mine open for a random team-up. You have to select a chapter and episode and wait around till someone else by fluke decides they want to play that same chapter and episode. And, like Space T Rex said, KOTH is unplayable right now and that's one of my favourite modes.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Campaign was great but holy poo poo did it end abruptly. Cole and Baird had just shown up and I'm like awesome, now I'm really getting into the meat of the game, and then nope, that's the end. Interesting cliffhanger though.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

This 400mb patch is really taking its time to install.

Oh wait it doesn't actually tell you how big the patch is so it just downloads an undetermined amount of data before freezing.

Double edit: apparently the way the game/store works is that they have to make a copy of your entire install so it has to copy all 80gb just to install a 300mb day one update. I don't even think I have enough room on my SSD for this poo poo :v:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 11, 2016

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Commoners posted:

Look at all that juice.

Those boys were roided UP!

gently caress!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I tried Horde for the first time ever and yeah I see what the fuss is about, poo poo is fun. I just wish the game was on Steam now with Steam Groups and stuff now though because this thing they replaced Games for Windows with seems about as useful. :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Campaign was great but holy poo poo did it end abruptly. Cole and Baird had just shown up and I'm like awesome, now I'm really getting into the meat of the game, and then nope, that's the end. Interesting cliffhanger though.

Did you watch the scene after the credits?

I need a stable Horde group if anyone's up for it, PC or Xbone is fine, pubbies just drop out before the match even loads or leave mid-match, its loving annoying and killing my engineer mojo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Microsoft Store is pretty slow as far as digital downloads go.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oh wait it doesn't actually tell you how big the patch is so it just downloads an undetermined amount of data before freezing.

Double edit: apparently the way the game/store works is that they have to make a copy of your entire install so it has to copy all 80gb just to install a 300mb day one update. I don't even think I have enough room on my SSD for this poo poo :v:

This kind of stuff is why everybody is angry and want MS to just use steam. Hell Origin is just as good too. Anything but that store.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oh so that's why the store has been thrashing my hdd for the past hour? jfc what a shitshow

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The game is a jittery mess in multiplayer for me now after that patch. :thumbsup:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Oh so that's why the store has been thrashing my hdd for the past hour? jfc what a shitshow

Yeah I was watching the update in the windows store just stay at like 400mb and by chance I looked at my computer and noticed that my storage space on my SSD was just *dropping*. Googled about the patch and found the official forum where people were saying about the game files being entirely copied.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I haven't touched Gears multi since the original release of the first game. I'm so bad at this lmao.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Was stoked to get home and boot this up. Oh wait it's got a 509mb patch that hasn't been moving. Why the gently caress are they doing it this way

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Tim Whatley posted:

Was stoked to get home and boot this up. Oh wait it's got a 509mb patch that hasn't been moving. Why the gently caress are they doing it this way

If the patch is not increasing in downloaded amount then it's in the "copy the entire game for ~reasons~" stage of the patch process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

If the patch is not increasing in downloaded amount then it's in the "copy the entire game for ~reasons~" stage of the patch process.

If I pause it and resume it though, it goes up a bit before stopping. It also says 40.62mb out of 509.2mb and the bar is halfway full. What the poo poo?

• Locked thread